daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Metro Area Transport Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #8521
transportfanboy

Likes (Received): 160

Fair enough all! Like I said, I've never flew long haul eastwards, so have no personal experience to contrast. The only reason I might be inclined to favour Qatar is because they're on oneworld and I could earn BA miles with them. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't go with Emirates if the price/timings were right. Comfortwise, though, I've heard good things about both.
transportfanboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2017, 07:44 PM   #8522
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

Likes (Received): 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by transportfanboy View Post
Fair enough all! Like I said, I've never flew long haul eastwards, so have no personal experience to contrast. The only reason I might be inclined to favour Qatar is because they're on oneworld and I could earn BA miles with them. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't go with Emirates if the price/timings were right. Comfortwise, though, I've heard good things about both.

I flew with Qatar in 2004. It was the first long haul flight I'd ever been on. I thought they were excellent.

After that if flew with BA to Bermuda and I thought they were terrible compared to Qatar.

Then I flew with Virgin to Las Vegas who were good but not as good as I remembered Qatar being.

Then I started flying with Emirates in 2014. I definitely enjoyed the Qatar flights more but there was ten years between them so I can't really compare them accurately.

Of course back in 2004 airlines were happy to give you as many alcoholic beverages as you could stuff in your face. I seized on this opportunity and it is probably the main reason why I enjoyed the Qatar flights so much.

Basically I extend Qatar will offer a very similar service to Emirates.

I think the economy seats on the Emirates A380 are much better than in the 777. They are slightly more spacious and the TV screen is a lot bigger.
Kingsheathen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #8523
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

Likes (Received): 700

Birmingham Transport | Birmingham Airport (BHX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transportfanboy View Post

I flew with Qatar in 2004. It was the first long haul flight I'd ever been on. I thought they were excellent.

After that I flew with BA to Bermuda and I thought they were terrible compared to Qatar.

Then I flew with Virgin to Las Vegas who were good but not as good as I remembered Qatar being.

Then I started flying with Emirates in 2014. I definitely enjoyed the Qatar flights more but there was ten years between them so I can't really compare them accurately.

Of course back in 2004 airlines were happy to give you as many alcoholic beverages as you could stuff in your face. I seized on this opportunity and it is probably the main reason why I enjoyed the Qatar flights so much.

Basically I expect Qatar will offer a very similar service to Emirates.

I think the economy seats on the Emirates A380 are much better than in the 777. They are slightly more spacious and the TV screen is a lot bigger.

transportfanboy liked this post
Kingsheathen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #8524
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 4692

A380 Tail looking towards the City of Birmingham

Photo credit to Ray Finkle

Sandblast, Soul_13, Rijowhite, deano34 liked this post
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 10:43 PM   #8525
Brum X
Brum X

BHX to YYZ (Toronto) S18

A sample of fares to YYZ.

Picking a random date 17-24th July next year, RTN prices compare as follows:

BHX-YYZ (Primera) = £481 RTN
BHX-YYZ (Via Dublin) (Aer Lingus) = £717 RTN
MAN-YYZ (Air Transat) = £602 RTN
MAN-YYZ (Air Canada Rouge) = £786 RTN
LGW-YYZ (Air Transat) = £521 RTN

Information provided by our very own Woodhousen

BhamJim, Sandblast liked this post
Old November 7th, 2017, 07:57 PM   #8526
neon18

Likes (Received): 1128

EVELOP! A333 At BHX?! https://youtu.be/Zvib-UybJaU

The A333 Evelop (EC-MII) was at the BHX Monarch hanger on 23rd October 2017

Sandblast, Brum X liked this post
neon18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #8527
Brum X
Brum X

September 2017 finally out, hoooorah

But i wont be celebrating.

anuary - 776,646 (+16.3%)
February - 809,239 (+11.7%)
March - 904,814 (+8.9%)
April - 1,063,571 (+21.7%)
May - 1,202,880 (+19.4%)
June - 1,302,204 (+16.3%)
July - 1,435,875 (+17.5%)
August - 1,495,578 (+16.2%) (Highest Monthly Figure on Record!)
September - 1,361,024 (+12.6%)
October -
November -
December -

Year to date total = 10,351,831
Year to date growth = +15.6%

Rolling 12 month total = 13,049,207 (+16.2%)

All these stats are provided by Woodhousen so thankyou to him for his hard work.
Old November 10th, 2017, 08:23 PM   #8528
neon18

Quote:
VisitBritain to further promote England’s regions
by Phil Davies Nov 9th 2017

VisitBritain is to promote more of England’s regions to overseas visitors by forging a partnership with Birmingham and the surrounding areas.

The three-year deal is a joint initiative with Birmingham airport, the West Midlands Growth Company, Shakespeare’s England and Marketing Peak District & Derbyshire.

The organisations will collectively market the region to a global audience, convert inspiration to visit into bookings and promote direct flights to the area.

The partnership will focus on the US in the first year.

Primera Air is starting low fare flights to Birmingham airport next year from New York, Boston and Toronto.

VisitBritain commercial director Carol Dray said: “Tourism is one of the UK’s most valuable export industries, worth £127 billion annually to the economy.

“Increasing regional connectivity not only makes it easier for visitors to see more of Britain, the West Midlands and the Peak District, it boosts economic growth, and helps keep us an attractive destination in this fiercely competitive global market.”

West Midlands Growth Company Director of Marketing and Communications Emma Gray said: “Birmingham and its surrounding areas have become increasingly popular tourist destinations, attracting some 1.5 million international visitors in 2015.

“By working in partnership with our destination partners we will be in an even stronger position to attract more visitors to the region, increasing economic development and growth. We look forward to capitalising on the opportunities and benefits that this initiative will bring to the tourism industry in the future.”

Birmingham airport commercial director Jo Lloyd said: “We’re proud and excited to be working with partners on this gateway campaign to drive more visitors to the region over the next three years.

“England’s Heartland offers visitors everything they could possibly imagine – from adventure and history to culture and arts – and with new long haul low cost direct services commencing next summer, Birmingham airport offers the perfect gateway for visitors ready to discover our vibrant cities, beautiful villages and rolling countryside.”
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...glands-regions

Brum X, Bloxwich Stroller liked this post
Old November 22nd, 2017, 08:46 PM   #8529
egcc

Likes (Received): 243

Primera Air to base a B737 at BHX and run a daily Malaga and daily Alicante from April.

Brum X liked this post
egcc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 10:27 PM   #8530
Brum X
Brum X

Primera Air S18

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcc View Post
Primera Air to base a B737 at BHX and run a daily Malaga and daily Alicante from April.
Great news egcc from egbb, however its daily Palma and Malaga from BHX

Primera now showing some confidence in BHX, this will also give us some much needed capacity on the sun routes in S18

PF2933/4

BHX 09:00 AGP 12:50
AGP 13:30 BHX 15:50

PF2937/8

BHX 16:45 PMI 20:05
PMI 21:05 BHX 22:35

Old November 22nd, 2017, 11:39 PM   #8531
Brum X
Brum X

Monarch BHX slots

Some useful information Re: Monarch slots at BHX

https://blueswandaily.com/monarch-ad...y-reallocated/

at Birmingham the slots have been shared amongst six airlines including Primera Airlines as a new entrant. The carrier has already announced plans to launch trans Atlantic flights from Birmingham to Boston, New York and Toronto using new A321neos, but has also revealed its first short-haul schedules from the UK with daily services from Birmingham to Malaga and Palma from May-2018 using 189-seat Boeing 737-800s (it will also launch daily flights from London Stansted to Alicante and Malaga from Apr-2018). It is understood it will now base three aircraft at Birmingham after gaining some of the former Monarch slots.

hoody liked this post
Old November 24th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #8532
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 800

miniwilko, Brum X liked this post
BhamBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #8533
trundlewagon

Likes (Received): 53

I’m guessing that’s a modification of the existing Amritsar via Delhi twice a week to go direct (or possibly do Delhi via Amritsar), rather than an additional service?
trundlewagon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2017, 07:34 PM   #8534
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 800

I'm not too sure.

Andy Street seems to be proclaiming it as a major victory, so I thought I had misunderstood.
Old November 24th, 2017, 10:56 PM   #8535
Fidget808

Likes (Received): 249

There's rumours floating about that PIA are pulling out of BHX. It is just rumours but they have fairly well documented troubles at the moment so could well be true.

Hopefully that means Emirates go back to three times daily to pick up the slack.... maybe using one of their new shiny 787's.... (whenever they are delivered)
Fidget808 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2017, 10:59 PM   #8536
Brum X
Brum X

Great news for Air India at BHX, The Punjabi community here in the West Midlands have been demanding this route for many years.

Also shows Air India commitment in BHX

Old November 26th, 2017, 02:33 PM   #8537
neon18

Birmingham International Airport in 1984 Advert

Some Birmingham Airport nostalgia

Birmingham International Airport in 1984 Advert https://youtu.be/XgAxAvxB_1Q via @YouTube

Old November 26th, 2017, 04:14 PM   #8538
nigeman

Likes (Received): 941

Would appear less and less likely we're going to get that long promised development plan this year now.
I thought the airport itself had indicated a summer announcement?
If we get the Commonwealth Games, which we should, there's going to be a lot of visitors (athletes,press and spectatators) coming through BHX in 2022. It would be nice to think there will be an expansion and improvement of some of the facilities and infrastructure before then.
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 09:09 AM   #8539
Ppmb80
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post
Would appear less and less likely we're going to get that long promised development plan this year now.
I thought the airport itself had indicated a summer announcement?
If we get the Commonwealth Games, which we should, there's going to be a lot of visitors (athletes,press and spectatators) coming through BHX in 2022. It would be nice to think there will be an expansion and improvement of some of the facilities and infrastructure before then.
I certainly hope so it does give us over 4 years should we win the games....hopefully the airport will confirm new shareholders and a new CEO soon, 2 areas pending if I'm not mistaken ?
Ppmb80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 12:15 PM   #8540
Assa

Likes (Received): 49

I think 4 years is ambitious tbh. As a minimum we're talking about a new terminal which I can't see being built on the existing airport footprint so there's likely to be some sort of expansion with all of the issues of CPOs, planning reviews etc.. and obviously local opposition, environmental opposition etc... I'd be surprised to see a spade in the ground inside 4 years, let alone anything being built! I know it's not directly comparable but how long did it take T5 to get built from first 'plan'? 20 years or something?!

I think the Monarch collapse has knocked the airports' confidence (despite it recovering very quickly) so they're a bit hesitant to announce the plans. There's probably a concern about the potential impact of Brexit given how much of the traffic at the airport is into/from the EU.
Assa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport