daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Metro Area Transport Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #1521
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 4692

BIRMINGHAM Airport negotiates new direct Asia links

27 April 2012

Claims by BAA that Heathrow Airport is the only answer to forging new air links with China have been further dismissed by Birmingham Airport following a successful visit to the Far East for talks with a number of airlines.

During a three day visit to the Chinese city of Chengdu for the Routes Asia conference, the Airport’s management team, led by its CEO, Paul Kehoe, spoke to airlines about the market potential, particularly highlighting the level of trade between this region and cities across Asia and the demand for direct flights.

There is also a great cultural link between China and this part of the UK and the city of Birmingham has a twin status with the city of Guangzhou in Southern China.

Commenting on the visit, Paul Kehoe, the Airport’s CEO, said: “We hear so much from BAA about the UK losing lucrative new routes because of the capacity constraints at Heathrow but the South East isn’t the only solution. Our runway extension will allow aircraft to fly direct from China, bringing investment to the region, and giving airlines and passengers an alternative to battling with London’s congestion problems.

“We now need the UK Government to endorse Birmingham Airport, when it releases its Aviation Policy Review later this year, as a national airport that can offer a rapid and cost effective solution to the aviation gap.”

Routes Asia 2012 is a major networking event designed to bring airlines and airports together. Birmingham Airport had the largest Airport stand at the event and demonstrated strong trading links with China by showing a film about the partnership between the Airport and MG Motors a company owned by Shanghai Automotive.

MG Motor’s MD, William Wang, recently supported a Birmingham-Shanghai route, stating there was serious need for direct flights between Birmingham and Shanghai for business passengers, the Chinese community living in the West Midlands region and the thousands of students that come to Birmingham each year from China to study.

Since 2003, after London, Birmingham has attracted more Chinese investment projects than any other UK city, receiving £76.59m in capital investment and creating 596 jobs during this period. In 2010, Birmingham received £8.68m in capital investment from China.

Paul Kehoe continued, “Birmingham Airport currently handles nine million passengers a year but can take double this number today with its current infrastructure. With the runway extension, this will progressively grow to 36m by the year 2030.

“Our runway extension is already under construction and will be complete early in 2014. The UK Government has said there will be no additional runway capacity for flights into London; it is therefore critical for airports such as Birmingham to deliver direct long haul flights and this kind of positive commercial discussion paves the way for that to happen. With more direct flights regional airports will play an important part in rebalancing the UK economy and allowing the Midlands to benefit from trade links to emerging markets like China.”
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #1522
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 283

Just an off topic ish Questions...

Does Kenilworth, Warwick, Leamington Spa and Balsall Common get aircraft noise? I know that flights landing at the souther end of the runway line up roughly around that area. My friend is moving to that area is is asking

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #1523
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 444

Not that I have noticed. It'd be nothing compared to the noise from roads.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #1524
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 3411

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post

Does Kenilworth, Warwick, Leamington Spa and Balsall Common get aircraft noise? I know that flights landing at the souther end of the runway line up roughly around that area. My friend is moving to that area is is asking
I spend a fair amount of time in that area. The aircraft are quite visible but there's hardly any noise at all from them over Warwick, Leamington or Kenilworth. A bit more noticeable in parts of Balsall Common.
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #1525
Brum X
Brum X

Extra flights at BHX during olympics

Had it from a good source, my mate who actually works for UA at BHX, that the DFT were all over the airport like a plague today testing stuff in preperation for what ?????????

Well apparently UA (United) have 11 aircraft coming over for the Olympics and only 2 of them have slots at LHR, they are all being chartered by UA with one of them being chartered by NBC News.
You might say that they could fly to LGW or STN, however no UA staff at these airports and where is the nearest after them ????????
These flights will be coming over from 9th July 2012 so watch this space.

Also heard rumour that it will be some 777s and apparently UA 787 will have done enough domestic flights to start flying international flight ????????

UA is the official sponsor airline for the Olympic games in 2012.

We shall see ??????
Old April 28th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #1526
Brum X
Brum X

Old April 28th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #1527
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1304

I think Paul Kehoe is doing a brilliant job for Brum - where are our esteemed MPs ? Funny how BAA think that Heathrow is so wonderful, being the only credible UK airport when their border control staff are so inept!
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #1528
Elmdon80s-lad

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
I think Paul Kehoe is doing a brilliant job for Brum - where are our esteemed MPs ? Funny how BAA think that Heathrow is so wonderful, being the only credible UK airport when their border control staff are so inept!

I agree Its about time brum was on the map, thats why I'm trying so hard to get a State-of-the-Art Viewing Park here, and I am trying to contact the right people to Invest/promote Birmingham Airport Viewing Park......
Elmdon80s-lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #1529
world_rep
BANNED

Likes (Received): 383

Hi brumX,

Don't forget united B787s won't be in the livery posted, they will be in the UA/CO globe livery.

Also, BA are the official airline of 2012, I have a nice silver badge which certainly says so anyway.

Lastly, there will be 2 UA flights to LHR, 5 to BHX and 4 to MAN, so not a bad amount from just 1 country!
world_rep no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #1530
Ginger Tosser
#pragma

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmdon80s-lad View Post
I agree Its about time brum was on the map, thats why I'm trying so hard to get a State-of-the-Art Viewing Park here, and I am trying to contact the right people to Invest/promote Birmingham Airport Viewing Park......
I hope happens. The amount of people that attend the end of the runway on a nice sunny day is quite amazing to be honest.
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #1531
Elmdon80s-lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Tosser View Post
I hope happens. The amount of people that attend the end of the runway on a nice sunny day is quite amazing to be honest.

Is that area still situated at the bottom left corner of the long stay carpark, with a tiny sliver of grass? the area due very soon to be leveled ready for the new taxiway to go right through......
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #1532
Elmdon80s-lad

I'm trying to work out how busy the Old Airport Viewing Centre was at Its peak, whenever I visited It was nearly always quite busy, but as I used to make brief visits, I dont know If It was like this most of the day? It would be Interesting to find out roughly the numbers of people visiting a day...

Any Ideas....?
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #1533
Ginger Tosser
#pragma

Quote:
Is that area still situated at the bottom left corner of the long stay carpark, with a tiny sliver of grass? the area due very soon to be leveled ready for the new taxiway to go right through......
No, the Sheldon Country park side.

Quote:
I'm trying to work out how busy the Old Airport Viewing Centre was at Its peak, whenever I visited It was nearly always quite busy, but as I used to make brief visits, I dont know If It was like this most of the day? It would be Interesting to find out roughly the numbers of people visiting a day...

Any Ideas....?
Was this the one where the flying school was based? (don't know about numbers though)
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #1534
Elmdon80s-lad

Quote:
No, the Sheldon Country park side.

Was this the one where the flying school was based? (don't know about numbers though)

No, I meen the one above the main terminal on the main site and terminal used now, up the lift or stairs, now It Is used as an education learning centre.
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #1535
Elmdon80s-lad

sorry If I was confusing I meen the viewing faciity that was above the current terminal, that used to have the Ian Allan shop and before that the Aviation Hobby Centre shop run by an A Myatt who also used to do the movements sheets.
I'm trying to gauge the kind of amounts of people that used to use the facilities - spotters/families etc.

Last edited by Elmdon80s-lad; April 29th, 2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old April 29th, 2012, 03:36 AM   #1536
Ginger Tosser
#pragma

I see, apologies for confusion. I have been around the Airport since the 70's, so my viewing experiences are quite varied!

Oh btw, I will try and get some shots of the soon to be flattened area (clock pub etc) asap, just need the rain to stop!
Old April 29th, 2012, 04:28 AM   #1537
Elmdon80s-lad

Quote:
I see, apologies for confusion. I have been around the Airport since the 70's, so my viewing experiences are quite varied!

Oh btw, I will try and get some shots of the soon to be flattened area (clock pub etc) asap, just need the rain to stop!

Thats ok I wasnt very clear, I have been going to BHX since the late 70's myself either using the joe90 end, the hump on the golf course, the spiral staircase, the old enclosed view gallery Elmdon side, getting nice butties from the canteen that the airport staff used to use, and play pool In their,or use the flying school end where Warwickshire Aero Club used to use.( I remember being down the - Aero Club end when Air France sent one of their concordes In) - All them people at the airport -talk about crammed....I also set up the Junior jet club with little make shift passes like passports, showing them to get In Forward House to beg some aircraft safety-sticker stuff of the agents......"happy days"
Old April 29th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #1538
brummie_jim

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Tosser
Please do I've been down to the rugby club in Bickenhill and can see lots of work going on but couldn't get any good shots from that angle
brummie_jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #1539
SuttonBluenose

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post

Balsall Common hell yeah. My cousins live over there, I'd say it's in the turning circle of some planes out of BHX, they're not low planes however, mid range i'd say.

The worst is Barston area. You can see the whites of the pilot's eyes there!

Henry George, Progress and Poverty (1879), Book IV Chapter II
SuttonBluenose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #1540
Brum X
Brum X

Quote:
Nice one dude

Tags
airport