daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Estonia > Tallinn

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Future of Linnahall?
Rebuild it, but preserve it's architecture 66 53.66%
Rebuild it extensively, don't preserve it's architecture 22 17.89%
Demolish and build new opera theatre, concert hall or something similar there 35 28.46%
Demolish and leave the lot empty 9 7.32%
Leave it as it is 1 0.81%
Other (explain what & why) 2 1.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 8th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Tin_Can

Linnahall and it's future

Linnahall (Eng. - city hall) is multifunctional culture centre in the middle of Tallinn's Downtown,right at the waterfront in Old Town harbour. It has concert hall with 4200-seats,ice rink & cafeterias. Parts of it have been converted into small ferry terminal & heliport. Linnahall was built in 1980-1981,for 1980 Summer Olympics.

Since late 1990s,ziggurat shaped building has been listed by Muinsuskaitseamet / heritage protection agency,as example of 1980's architecture. Since it's construction in 80s,there have been concerns over it's conditions,as poor control and rushed construction resulted inadequate quality.

Floorplans of Linnahall:

Aerial photos of Linnahall (by Taevapiltnik.ee ©)

Few years ago Linnahall was given to American investors who formed company called Tallinn Entertainment LLC. In return they were expected to invest money in Linnahall to reconstruct it to modern venue centre.
In April 2009 Linnahall had it's last public events and since then it has been closed to public.
Tallinn Entertainment LLC promised that Linnahall will be rebuilt for Culture Capitall 2011 season. So far nothing has happened. Investors haven't even created development plans + they refused to meet city officials for a long time + in Hungary and United States several people involved in this project have been arrested and accused in corruption,bribery and tax evasion.

Current state of Linnahall (photos by Delfi.ee,link to full gallery: http://www.delfi.ee/news/paevauudise....d?id=55342446) :

Several people and politicians have demanded that city would enforce contract rules to Tallinn Entertainment LLC or would declare contract void,as developer has failed to fulfil it.

So,what will the future of Linnahall be like? Will it eventually get renovated? Or as it has been proposed,it will get demolished?
Given that renovation works can turn out to be a lot more expensive that demolition+construction of new concert hall,is it even necessary to maintain it? Is it's architecture important enough or does it ruin urban landscape? Let's not forget that each year those ~6 million passengers arriving by ferries & cruise ships,get a glimpse at derelict Linnahall. Not to mention that although it has pretty interesting design,it's very badly visible from ground level and people don't get a chance to grasp it's full architectural complexity.

So,let's share thoughts,ideas & visions about it.

Discuss!
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Tin_Can

Btw,poll is multi-vote poll,so you can select several options if you think that it's necessary. It's difficult to choose between those options
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Jarmo K
3:36

Likes (Received): 232

by 'rebuild' do you mean renovate?
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Tin_Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmo K View Post
by 'rebuild' do you mean renovate?
Ei,pigem sõna otseses mõttes ümberehitust,kuna isegi kõige pisem Linnahalli renoveerimine ei jätaks sellest suurt midagi järele. Kvaliteet (või selle puudumine) tähendaks ilmselt juba vajadust osad kandekonstruktsioonid väljavahetada,et hoone eluiga pikendada.
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2264

Either do a major renovation of the building and its immediate surrounding, but do not redesign anything, preserve it as it originally was suppose to be, or tear everything down completely and build something new.
Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #6
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9781

Blow it up.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #7
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1788

I was just there a few hours ago with my friends drinking beer It's one of the few places in Tallinn where you can drink in public with little fear of being caught because the police simply have no time or will to visit that place. In that sense it's a good public space. Today there was 20-35 people hanging around on the roof and quite a few tourists.
I also like the architectural concept but in every other matter, it's a failure. It's very poorly constructed, the design of the concert hall is flawed etc. I doubt that anyone would be ready to spend € 100 million+ that's needed to reconstruct Linnahall. If nothing's done, it will have to be closed to public all together in a few years since it will simply become too dangerous...and it's only 30 years old.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #8
Tin_Can

But it already is closed to public and tbh,it's really unlikely that they open it again Given that Linnahall doesn't have enough money for even basic maintenance,building condition will continue to deteriorate and sadly it's VERY possible that building will be declared dangerous soon.

@Galro - lol,that has been actually suggested by few people here I guess locals are getting fed up that nothing is happening with Linnahall,while every other neglected place in city gets a makeover or is torn down to make room for new buildings.
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #9
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1788

I meant closed to public as in the roof and surroundings, not only the interior.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #10
estlander
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

well, we can get some EU funding to restart "traditional culture" and open as "meatmarket"

estlander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #11
Tin_Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by estlander View Post
American investors inspecting their property? I can't remember harbour area being so sandy...
Old August 11th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #12
Ebajalg
Ööinimene

Likes (Received): 109

It's sad that Tallinn is so cut off from the water
Ebajalg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #13
pets

Likes (Received): 74

estonia coverment or tallinn city administrations should be without delay take it back and renovate or rebuild it with original look!
pets no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #14
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebajalg View Post
Indeed, it's awful. Looking at this picture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Can View Post
Aerial photos of Linnahall (by Taevapiltnik.ee ©)
You can see how empty the plot to the right is. It's just a desert. Nothing. This should be prime time real estate and a shining welcome to anyone arriving to Tallinn on a boat. Right now all they see is a distasteful grey mound of concrete and an empty field next to it.

I vote for full demolition. I do not see this monstrosity as having any sort of lasting architectural value. This area has so much potential for awesomeness and I'd love to arrive to Tallinn by sea one day and be greeted by something as nice as Helsinki or Stockholm have to offer.
Old August 12th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #15
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebajalg View Post
Ironically, Tallinn is much more a marine city than Klaipėda in Lithuania (if not counting beaches that are near it). In the seaport of my home country the port and majority of port facillities are located near water. Perhaps, only a few quays have been converted into more or less urban spaces, while the most views towards the Curonian lagoon are 'blocked'. The one has to travel quite a long distance to see the lagoon or the Baltic Sea.
In oppinion, the capital city of Estonia is way more open to the sea and that is not hard to notice while walking in it.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #16
Tin_Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
You can see how empty the plot to the right is. It's just a desert. Nothing. This should be prime time real estate and a shining welcome to anyone arriving to Tallinn on a boat. Right now all they see is a distasteful grey mound of concrete and an empty field next to it.
Prime real estate IS planned for this empty wasteland. Last summer this was approved there:

As you can see,this housing project would occupy 1/3 of wasteland. Another 1/3 is Tallinn port territory (closed area) In addition to new houses they were planning to open up coastal area and build promenade. Project grind to halt is this spring. Afaik,problems with planned marina and building volume...

Old August 15th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #17
estlander
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

I guess CIA had a eyewitness or smth, that Linnahall is close to sadam (read in estonian. So, the americans invested their green leaves.

image hosted on flickr

bla-bla-bla news said, that a Cape Ciy Hall has become one possibility for a NASA museum due the summer time tourists. There are lots of american tourists who want to have a VAC in ...Florida near Baltic Ocean...
estlander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #18
Maadeuurija

Likes (Received): 520

Maadeuurija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #19
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 203

That is fantastic!
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #20
Tin_Can

Negotiations with US based investors have stalled,Linnahall continues decaying.

City has openly admitted that negotiations with investors have stalled and it's unknown when or if at all renovations begin.

Source: http://www.tallinnapostimees.ee/6979...origa-venivad/

Photos & video by Postimees.ee.

Full gallery: http://www.tallinnapostimees.ee/?g=7...=697958#263532

Tags
estonia, tallinn