daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Chicago

Chicago » Projects and Construction | Infrastructure & Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #41
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Thanks secondcity1. I love the video sneak peak. The bridge promises to be a spectacular addition to the whole ensemble.
tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #42
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

great information tpe. nice thread
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #43
tpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagophotoshop View Post
great information tpe. nice thread

Thanks. Please feel free to contribute anything that may be of interest. I tend to miss a lot of events happening in and around Chicago. For example, I forgot to mention the Old Town Art Fair this weekend. I did go and managed to get a few nice pieces.

One of the artists who exhibits regularly here is Jonathan Lee Rutledge, an Evanston goldsmith who specializes in the archaistic technique of gold granulation. The ancient Etruscans were masters of this technique, and the methodology of making granulated goldwork was lost until the latter part of the 19th century.

He does some wonderful pieces in the Etruscan style, and I am commissioning a men's jewelry piece from him in the antique mode, using gold granulation. The piece will be set with cabochon moonstones, carnelians, and amethysts.

This type of work usually requires at least 22 K gold.

Here's his web site:

http://www.rutledgejewelry.com/index.php

About gold granulation:

http://www.rutledgejewelry.com/granulation.php

Last edited by tpe; June 16th, 2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #44
tpe

Perhaps one of the more fascinating people I met this year at the Old Town Art Fair is the Bridgeport artist Dolan Geiman

http://dolangeimanartist.com/

image hosted on flickr

Although Comtemporary Art is not my area of collecting, I have a soft spot for Chicago artists in the field, and find every opportunity of introducing friends here and abroad to their work.

Dolan Geiman works in mixed media, using a bewildering assortment of materials and found objects that typifies the urban mosaic that is Chicago. A lot of his pieces have that wonderful flavor and playfulness you see in the works of Joseph Cornell, and even his silk screen pieces have a richness of pattern and form that is enchanting.

A number of his larger works at the Fair incorporates collage work, and I found it quite interesting that some of them used pages from an old Armenian printers book and a Russian/Ukranian technical manual. (He told me that he found the pages in an old abandoned house in the South Side and had no idea of what they were. He was simply attracted to the form of thr letters and the printed illustrations.)

His works at the Fair were VERY reasonably priced -- with large pieces just in the neighborhood of 5000.00 USD. A lot of his silk screen creations (some of them looked like collage until he told me that they were not) were just 100.00 USD. If you like contemporary Chicago art with a youthful and playful flair, I would suggest that you consider visiting his eco-friendly Bridgeport studio, which I will be doing in a week or two.

The Artist's flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dolangeiman/

The Artist's booth:

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

My friends loved "Bluebird" (seen below) and nearly bought it. (They ended up buying other works by him.) Price was a reasonable 3500.00 USD.

image hosted on flickr

Spaghetti Western:

image hosted on flickr

From his songbird collection:

image hosted on flickr

Constructions:

image hosted on flickr

The Artist:

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by tpe; June 16th, 2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #45
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Chicago's 'August: Osage County' triumphs at 2008 Tony Awards
Production wins 5, including best play

By Chris Jones | Tribune critic
June 16, 2008

NEW YORK—In an unprecedented New York night for the Chicago theater, the Broadway transfer of Steppenwolf Theatre Company's searing production of "August: Osage County" dominated the 62nd annual Tony Awards here on Sunday.

And thus Radio City Musical Hall hosted a long, emotional parade of winning Chicagoans.

Tracy Letts won the Tony for best play. Anna D. Shapiro won for best director of a play. Deanna Dunagan won for best leading actress in a play. Rondi Reed won for best featured actress in a play. And Todd Rosenthal snagged best scenic design. The production won in every category in which it was nominated, with the exception of lighting design. And one of its leading producers was Steve Traxler of the Chicago-based Jam Theatricals.

Early in the evening, Chicago Shakespeare Theater accepted their regional theater Tony Award, which was announced last month with the Tony nominees.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,1851398.story
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #46
tpe

Thanks Hydrogen. I meant to post that yesterday, but the site seemed to have been down during the late afternoon...

One more writeup from this weekend's Old Town Art Fair...

-----------------------------------------------

There is one other artist at the Old Town Art Fair who I wish to highlight, Although he is a Wisconsin resident, he has nonetheless exhibited so many times at the larger Chicago Expositions and Art Fairs (SOFA Chicago being the most important) that I think it is appropriate to discuss his work here.

He is the glass artist Charles Savoie.

http://www.savoieglass.com/savoieselectedworks.html

Especially noteworthy are the artist's recreations of 17th century Venetian and Bohemian glass formulae and techniques. These are best shown in his "Venetian" goblets and tazzas.

His glass is made entirely from scratch, using no commercial colors and products. The color palettes he has achieved in these pieces can be so subtle and so intense, depending on the effects he wishes to highlight. And the techinque in each unique work is as flawless or near-flawless as can be obtained from something entirely done by hand. The forms and patterns are rich in fantasy and imagination, even as he stays faithful to 17th century forms and aesthetics.

The prices of his "Venetian" glasses are very very reasonable, ranging at around a little above 700.00 USD for each piece.

His craftsmanship and artistry can also be appreciated in a different light via his works in a more modern and/or contemporary style. Combining glasses and bronzes into a whimsical and organic whole, some of these pieces show Art Noveau and (Vienna) Seccession influences, and yet still retain an unmistakable Midwestern coolness/understatedness about them that characterizes the very best of his work.

My areas of collecting do not encompass contemporary arts and crafts, but I have bought a number of his pieces over the years. It is sometimes best not to be so academic/restrictive when considering beauty of forms.

"Venetian" fantasies:

Beauty in organic forms:

Last edited by tpe; June 17th, 2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #47
tpe

For me, the Carter and the Bolcom are of interest, although I never say no to Chopin...

------------------------------------------------------

Ursula Oppens and Charles Rosen at Ravinia Tonight

Martin Theatre, Ravinia
418 Sheridan Rd
Highland Park, IL
847-266-5100

When Today 5pm (Oppens) and 8pm (Rosen) back to back.

Tickets Prices: $70 for both concerts plus dinner (call Ravinia), $30 each.

Description

As a companion recital to the following one at 8pm by Charles Rosen, the American pianist Ursula Oppens performs a swath of Elliott Carter, Bolcom and Chopin. Like Rosen, Oppens also plays Carter's Night Fantasies, a piece the 99-year-old composer wrote for them in 1980. This will be in honor of the Elliott Carter Centennial.

In addition to the Carter, Rosen will be playing Schumann's Davidsbündlertänze

Program:

(Oppens)

Bolcom: The Graceful Ghost Rag, The Poltergeist
Chopin: Ballade in A Major, Op. 47
Carter: Night Fantasies
Bolcom: Ballade
Schumann: Night Visions, Op. 23
Carter: Intermittences, Catenaires

(Rosen)

Will include...

Schumann: Davidsbündlertänze
Carter: Night Fantasies

Pianist and musicologist Charles Rosen studied with Moriz Rosenthal and is renowned for recording works by invitation of such composers as Stravinsky, Boulez, and Carter.

Ursula Oppens is Distinguished Professor at Brroklyn College and the CUNY Graduate Center in NYC and was recently John Evans Distinguished Professor of Music at Northwestern University in Evanston. Composers such as Carter and Ligeti have also written music for her.

Last edited by tpe; June 17th, 2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #48
tpe

Call for donors at the Mexican Fine Arts Museum:

http://www.nationalmuseumofmexicanart.org/virgen.html

---------------------------------------------

Help us keep the Virgen in Chicago!
Donate now.

As the National Museum of Mexican Art celebrates its 20th Anniversary, we hope that everyone who has been a part of this community over the course of our history will celebrate with us by helping us to bring the Virgen de Guadalupe to her new home in the Museum's Permanent Collection. This painting of the Virgen de Guadalupe, attributed to the renowned Colonial painter, Miguel Cabrera (1695-1768), will become the cornerstone of the Colonial section in Mexicanidad: Our Past Is Present , the Museum's permanent exhibition. Any tax-deductible contribution you can make will help the Museum to purchase this painting for the community...

Virgen de Guadalupe, attributed to the renowed Colonial painter, Miguel Cabrera (1695-1768)

National Museum of Mexican Art
1852 W. 19th St., Chicago
Tel: (312) 738-1503
Fax: (312) 738-9740
Old June 19th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #49
tpe

The art of war
FLATFILEgalleries shows Wafaa Bilal’s latest explosive work.
By Lauren Weinberg

Wafaa Bilal, Virtual Jihadi, 2008.

Wafaa Bilal, Virtual Jihadi, 2008.The last time he had a show at FLATFILEgalleries in the West Loop, Wafaa Bilal was shot at approximately 60,000 times. In his twice-censored project Virtual Jihadi, which appears in FLATFILE’s “Freedom of Speech” exhibition beginning Friday 20, Bilal does the shooting himself.

The Iraqi-born, Chicago-based 42-year-old intended his 2007 FLATFILE installation, Domestic Tension, to convey what it’s like for Iraqi citizens—including his own family—to live amid never-ending violence. Bilal (who has taught at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago since 2004) created a website that allowed viewers to chat with him or click to blast him with a paintball gun as he spent a month living at the gallery, recorded by a webcam day and night...

Full article is at http://www.timeout.com/chicago/artic...the-art-of-war
Old June 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #50
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Oh yeah, I think I remember seeing something on TV about this guy about a year or 2 ago
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #51
tpe

At the Lloyd Dobler Gallery in Wicker Park:

Summer Lecture Series
June 12th, 19th, 26th, 2008 @ 7pm

Lloyd Dobler Gallery is pleased to present the 2008 Summer Lecture Series. For three nights in June, Lloyd Dobler will host lectures by 3 emerging artists working in the Chicago art community today. We are looking forward to interesting conversations about their work as well as their lives here in the city. Questions are encouraged...

http://www.lloyddoblergallery.com/news.html

Today's lecture is given by Chicago Artist Cayetano Ferrer:

Cayetano Ferrer is a graduate of The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Selected exhibitions include, "FAST-Future of Art Science and Technology," Daejeon, Korea at the Daejon Museum of Art; Brooklyn at 78 Dikeman Street; London, England at i-cabin; Chicago at The Plaines Project and Oakland at Lobot where he completed a residency in 2006. Ferrer was the recipient of The Union League Civic and Arts Foundation Visual Arts Award in 2006, a Worldstudio Foundation scholarship in 2004 and a merit scholarship from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago in 2003. Ferrer had a recent solo show at Three Walls Solo and is attending USC in the fall for his MFA.

Last edited by tpe; June 19th, 2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old June 19th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #52
tpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Oh yeah, I think I remember seeing something on TV about this guy about a year or 2 ago
His work is interesting, to say the least.
Old June 19th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #53
tpe

Architectural tours:

Livin’ on a Prairie

KEEPING HOUSE Peek into this well-preserved George Maher structure.
Photo: Madeline Nusser

http://www.timeout.com/chicago/artic...n-on-a-prairie

Excerpt:

In the minds of many, Prairie-school architecture is synonymous with Frank Lloyd Wright. But one group is trying to change that. On Saturday 21, Pleasant Home Foundation is pushing Wright’s counterpart George Maher into the spotlight with a Historic Hutchinson Street House Tour featuring houses built by the less-acknowledged Prairie-school architect.

“Part of the reason we feel Maher isn’t as well known is he suffered from depression. He was very quiet, very much a gentleman and he ended up taking his own life,” says Laura Thompson, executive director of the foundation, which handles the restoration and operations of the eponymous 1897 Oak Park home designed by Maher. To raise funds, the foundation is broadening out beyond its suburban digs to show off the North Side’s Hutchinson Street, which features some of Maher’s—and Prairie-school’s—best work...
Old June 19th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #54
tpe

Tomorrow at the Park:

MARIA DEL MAR BONET
Friday, June 20th at 6:30 PM

Singer and songwriter Maria del Mar Bonet hails from Mallorca, lives in Barcelona and is one of the most exciting practitioners of the Mediterranean popular song...

Maria del Mar Bonet

http://www.grantparkmusicfestival.com/index.shtml
Old June 19th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #55
tpe

Also at the Grant Park Music Festival this Saturday:

http://www.grantparkmusicfestival.com/index.shtml

Saturday, June 21 at 7:30 p.m.
Jay Pritzker Pavilion

Grant Park Orchestra; Carlos Kalmar, Conductor

WAGNER The Ride of the Valkyries from Die Walküre
MOZART Overture to The Magic Flute
DEBUSSY/Leyden Claire de Lune
ROSSINI Overture to William Tell
BARBER Adagio for Strings
RESPIGHI The Pines of Rome

Bring a friend who has never been to an orchestra concert, relax, and enjoy the familiar sounds of the great classics washing over you. Popular favorites by Wagner, Mozart, Debussy, Rossini, Barber, and Respighi are sure to entice you back for more.
Old June 20th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #56
tpe

Next at Leslie Hindman's:

Furniture and Decorative Arts

Auction Dates
Sunday, July 13, 12pm
Monday, July 14, 10pm

Preview Dates
Wednesday, July 9, 2008, 10am - 5pm
Thursday, July 10, 2008, 10am - 6pm
Friday, July 11, 2008, 10am - 5pm
Saturday, July 12, 2008, 10am - 3pm

Online Catalogue
http://www.lesliehindman.com/asp/cataloguesearch.asp

An American Sideboard, Tommi Parzinger for Charak Modern, of rectangular form with four doors having ring pulls.
Height 32 x width 64 3/4 x depth 16 inches.
Estimate $ 6,000-8,000

http://www.lesliehindman.com/index.asp

Last edited by tpe; June 20th, 2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #57
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

tpe, thanks for being the resident 'art guru'. I try to see galleries and shows, attend concerts, etc. as often as possible, but I live out in the suburbs, so it's not always convenient.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #58
tpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
tpe, thanks for being the resident 'art guru'. I try to see galleries and shows, attend concerts, etc. as often as possible, but I live out in the suburbs, so it's not always convenient.
Thanks ardecila! What I regret is that I don't have sufficient knowledge to cover events in the suburbs. Contrary to what some might think, there's quite a lot going on outside the city proper. Ravinia is of course out in the suburbs. And even very local events shouldn't be passed over.

I think we do a lot of these things as communities not as an expression of competion or as a self-conscious form of proving our sophistication to everyone else.

I think we do them simply because we genuinely feel that they enrich us as individuals and as people living/interacting together.
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #59
tpe

At the Gene Siskel Film Center.

Romanian Cinema Rising

From June 6 through July 3, the Gene Siskel Film Center continues Romanian Cinema Rising, a two-month survey of the under-recognized past and award-winning present of this rapidly emerging Eastern European cinema. This month we focus largely on films from 1994-2007...

Full schedule of films is at:

http://www.artic.edu/webspaces/siske...08/june/2.html

Tonight's feature:

MARIA
2003, Peter Calin Netzer, Romania/France/Germany, 97 min.
With Diana Dumbrava, Horatiu Malaele

“A diamond mined from black coal…[an] acidly funny portrait of a people and country.”--Derek Elley, Variety

Maria is the beleaguered mother of seven and wife to an alcoholic gambler ousted from his factory job, but this is not social realism. Against all odds, director Netzer stirs up a winning mix of gentle black humor, rollicking satire, and low-key tragedy. After her husband’s henpecked slob of a buddy learns a new trade as the unlikely boy-toy for hire to hefty lady-truckers, Maria coolly assesses her own assets and steps with trepidation into a career in the world’s oldest profession. In Romanian, English, French, and Russian with English subtitles. 35mm.

Also shows on Monday, June 23, 6:00 pm.

Last edited by tpe; June 20th, 2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #60
tpe

Also tonight at the Gene Siskel Film Center, the Chicago Premiere of:

GLASS: A PORTRAIT OF PHILIP IN TWELVE PARTS
2007, Scott Hicks, Australia/USA, 115 min.

June 20--26
Fri. and Mon.-Thu. at 6:00 pm and 8:15 pm;
Sat. at 3:15 pm, 5:30 pm, and 7:45 pm;
Sun. at 3:00 pm and 5:15 pm

“An informal and affectionate demystification of the artist.”--Gregory Kirschling, Entertainment Weekly

“With his self-deprecating demeanor and easy laugh, Glass is a congenial presence.”--Joshua Kosman, San Francisco Chronicle

With a nod to one of the composer’s own scores, director Hicks (SHINE) divides this profile of Philip Glass into segments, each serving as a significant chapter in the personal life and career of this towering figure in contemporary avant-garde music. The film follows Glass through the year of preparation that culminates in the premiere of his opera Waiting for the Barbarians, and engages his musical collaborators, siblings, wife, ex-wife, Woody Allen, and longtime confidant, painter Chuck Close, in revealing interviews. The man himself blithely bakes vegetarian pizza and declares he has no secrets. HDCAM video.

Last edited by tpe; June 20th, 2008 at 11:40 PM.

Tags
art institute, arts chicago, chicago art