daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 126 votes, 4.79 average.
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #9121
World8115

It is Uppal station as the line curves just before the junction. Also you can see LFC in the background

Sponsored Links

Old March 8th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #9122
g.rahul

Likes (Received): 175

update

at Habsiguda 'x' roads today afternoon.. after removing the garders..

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old March 9th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #9123
varunjeans

Likes (Received): 61

Updates : Span work started near Gandhi bhavan and paradise.

-Krish-, superfan liked this post
varunjeans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #9124
tikkasriharsha
Sriharsha

Likes (Received): 1001

Funny observation: what's app is 6 times worth Hyderabad metro rail

Flickr

Fouz, 2ravitejak liked this post
tikkasriharsha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #9125
Pals_RGB

Likes (Received): 2765

Whatsapp - 450 million users
Hyderabad metro - 9 million

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasriharsha View Post
Funny observation: what's app is 6 times worth Hyderabad metro rail
Pals_RGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #9126
Fouz
Kid

Likes (Received): 1126

www.hmr.gov.in removed Kiran Kumar Reddy's photo.

Last edited by Fouz; March 9th, 2014 at 11:53 AM.
Fouz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #9127
ravikiran532

Likes (Received): 4

Smile Is metro required for other cities in AP??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankbund View Post
Dear Sir

Even as per your stated parameter, the only city that qualifies for a Metro is Hyderabad as per 2011 census. It is a well known fact that the Govt. tried its best to fudge the population count for Hyderabad with ulterior motives. I will not go into that here.

Only Vizag comes close. However, Its topography is most unsuited for a Metro. Vijayawada can wait a decade. Guntur 2 decades. Kurnool and Tirupati can wait 3-4 decades (or never). Actually, all these cities will be better off not to build Metros, but plan their cities so as to eliminate the requirement for a Metro. They can concentrate on better roads, side walks, intelligent zoning, parks, underground sewage/drainage, plentiful water supply etc and such other civilized things.

Please remember, Metros are a 19-20th century solution. We are a tad bit late. Bombay has had a metro for 75 years or so. It is called the Bombay local. I guess that is your dream way to travel. Well we all have our dreams and some of them do come true. Enjoy the metro my friend. I have no problem with it. I love train rides too (the long distance kind).

I would be furious if Hyderabad did not have a metro (just for bragging rights)

I do not agree with your argument that metro can wait for vizag and vja-guntur [ dont know why u are seeing them separately.. they are infact tricities vijaywada-guntur-tenali forming golden triangle]

1. Metro for tirupati[or any other towns] does not make sense.. it has more floating population than local population that too traffic is between tirupati and tirumala..bus facilites are excellent on this route..
I wont agree with comparing tirupati with mathura..come on.. tirupati is 10 times cleaner than mathura..and varanasi with so much filth. Tirumala is probably cleanest place in india..[ unfortunately surveys are not conducted in this place being independent body]

2. Vijaywada and Guntur distance between them is hardly 30kms..and their combined population is roughly 25lakhs..metro probably feasible than vizag.People here are tech savvy and their cost of living here is more..in fact Guntur topped in list of most online purchases in AP[TG+SA]. But is metro really better than construction of new dedicated road/widening the already present between vijaywada and guntur .There will be head ache of land acquisitions all for new road but which project don't have that..but metro "say politicians ko paise atte hey bhaai".. do not forget BRTS is failed in vijaywada.

3. Vizag population is 20lakhs (roughly by 2013) and yes its terrain is bit difficult[ why engineers are there for ]so i dont think its a constraint for a metro for this future mega city..

These are the fastest growing cities in AP more than hyderabad.. the population has doubled ..and they are bound to grow faster after bifurcation because they are going to be the main cities of new state and we can expect 35/40lakhs by next decade..so instead of waiting till next decade its better to plan from now.

If Kochi and Jaipur[ ranked 57 and 11 in population ] can have metros why not these cities with far better population..all you have said is they can wait for a decade/two..we are living in india if we start now it will take 2 decades to complete..

I would give a example..look at pune metropolitan the metro was proposed long back and the population is swelling and in last couple of years traffic is going haywire. so many two wheelers..[ highest number of two wheelers registered for last two years among all cities]..they constructed BRTS but is used by less people because there is no proper transportation .. state run buses have no funds to maintain..so there wont be any expansion.. only feasible solution is construction of metro in PPP mode[ with good player like L&T] ..but nothing is moving here..because of lack of political will..

Come on metro might be a imperial era solution,but it is still modern solution for the problems in cities with huge population that is why china is constructing/constructed 25 metros ..do not compare with less populated european cities which has brts and everything..to me metro/train is ..and will be fastest and cheapest mode of transportation for next century too..

I dont want vijayawada, vizag[ both cities have brts] to become like pune/or any other congested indian city,the real question is will there be political will and stability in the new state?? Because they are real catalyst for growth of the new region..only time is going to answer them

PS:
1. Suggestions like brts,better roads,cleanliness,water are not accepted (:P ) because that is for ideal society and cost effective too .. we live in india,we indians lack sensibility,drive in the lanes which are meant for buses.. of course i did not visit ahmedabad where its a success story..REST OF INDIA BRTS IS BIG FAILURE ..only 1 in 10 follow traffic rules..that is why after brts construction there was increase in accidents along the routes..if everyone follows traffic rules and lane system,if government works properly and do its duty then as you said these cities never require a metro...haa india would be a great place

2. I have a question for you too are from AP [TG+SA] and did you visit the places [esp.mathura] which u have mentioned because i was hurt with that comparision..tirupati with mathura [:P]

2ravitejak liked this post
ravikiran532 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #9128
tankbund

Likes (Received): 76

good observations

Dear Sir, You have presented some very good points. I agree with most of what you say. However, I disagree with your core argument. People here are mistaken about my position simply for "prejudicial reasons". Hence my targeted response. It is appropriate for these few.

1. China India argument - Just because China is building Metros, we should too. Well that is hogwash. China has done a lot of work before building the loss making Metros. They have cash to burn. India does not. China built electrical power plants at a breakneck speed and has an output 4-5 times that of India. We are placing the cart before the horse. This is a long discussion, so I will not elaborate.

2. Mathura and Tirupati - Yes, you are correct to a point. Mathura is far dirtier. It is shameful that nearly all religious places are in a despicable condition in India. It reflects on the people of India in general. Lack of cleanliness and hygiene has made us the laughingstocks of the world. Urgent measures are required.

3. Metros will alleviate traffic problems - This is utter nonsense. Metros only provide an alternate transport for some (under most conditions, few exceptions). Does it make sense to add millions of cars and not provide a way to use these cars appropriately. Think about it. I have no problem with Metros for Hyderabad or Bangalore. Smaller cities can wait. There are more urgent needs. City Planning is more important going forward.

4. Vijayawada-Guntur as New capital - Yes, I agree this makes the most sense. However, there is a going to be a fight about this. The people in AP are blaming everybody else and their brother for the current situation. In reality they are the only ones to blame (not outsiders). This simple reality and truth is being conveniently ignored.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikiran532 View Post
I do not agree with your argument that metro can wait for vizag and vja-guntur [ dont know why u are seeing them separately.. they are infact tricities vijaywada-guntur-tenali forming golden triangle]

1. Metro for tirupati[or any other towns] does not make sense.. it has more floating population than local population that too traffic is between tirupati and tirumala..bus facilites are excellent on this route..
I wont agree with comparing tirupati with mathura..come on.. tirupati is 10 times cleaner than mathura..and varanasi with so much filth. Tirumala is probably cleanest place in india..[ unfortunately surveys are not conducted in this place being independent body]

2. Vijaywada and Guntur distance between them is hardly 30kms..and their combined population is roughly 25lakhs..metro probably feasible than vizag.People here are tech savvy and their cost of living here is more..in fact Guntur topped in list of most online purchases in AP[TG+SA]. But is metro really better than construction of new dedicated road/widening the already present between vijaywada and guntur .There will be head ache of land acquisitions all for new road but which project don't have that..but metro "say politicians ko paise atte hey bhaai".. do not forget BRTS is failed in vijaywada.

3. Vizag population is 20lakhs (roughly by 2013) and yes its terrain is bit difficult[ why engineers are there for ]so i dont think its a constraint for a metro for this future mega city..

These are the fastest growing cities in AP more than hyderabad.. the population has doubled ..and they are bound to grow faster after bifurcation because they are going to be the main cities of new state and we can expect 35/40lakhs by next decade..so instead of waiting till next decade its better to plan from now.

If Kochi and Jaipur[ ranked 57 and 11 in population ] can have metros why not these cities with far better population..all you have said is they can wait for a decade/two..we are living in india if we start now it will take 2 decades to complete..

I would give a example..look at pune metropolitan the metro was proposed long back and the population is swelling and in last couple of years traffic is going haywire. so many two wheelers..[ highest number of two wheelers registered for last two years among all cities]..they constructed BRTS but is used by less people because there is no proper transportation .. state run buses have no funds to maintain..so there wont be any expansion.. only feasible solution is construction of metro in PPP mode[ with good player like L&T] ..but nothing is moving here..because of lack of political will..

Come on metro might be a imperial era solution,but it is still modern solution for the problems in cities with huge population that is why china is constructing/constructed 25 metros ..do not compare with less populated european cities which has brts and everything..to me metro/train is ..and will be fastest and cheapest mode of transportation for next century too..

I dont want vijayawada, vizag[ both cities have brts] to become like pune/or any other congested indian city,the real question is will there be political will and stability in the new state?? Because they are real catalyst for growth of the new region..only time is going to answer them

PS:
1. Suggestions like brts,better roads,cleanliness,water are not accepted (:P ) because that is for ideal society and cost effective too .. we live in india,we indians lack sensibility,drive in the lanes which are meant for buses.. of course i did not visit ahmedabad where its a success story..REST OF INDIA BRTS IS BIG FAILURE ..only 1 in 10 follow traffic rules..that is why after brts construction there was increase in accidents along the routes..if everyone follows traffic rules and lane system,if government works properly and do its duty then as you said these cities never require a metro...haa india would be a great place

2. I have a question for you too are from AP [TG+SA] and did you visit the places [esp.mathura] which u have mentioned because i was hurt with that comparision..tirupati with mathura [:P]
tankbund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 07:03 AM   #9129
srireddy30

Likes (Received): 90

superfan, World8115, vakella, haranathp liked this post
srireddy30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #9130
World8115

Quote:
Originally Posted by srireddy30 View Post
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #9131
Fouz
Kid

Lightning fast.

shushanth liked this post
Old March 10th, 2014, 02:37 PM   #9132
vakella

Likes (Received): 111

Looks like the above pic will eventually match the image below as shown on official hmr website...although I did not think we will have 3 stairs to concourse level on each side...gotta wait n watch...its interesting...

Btw, in the image, the color of the roofing appears decent enough! In reality though, I am skeptical it will remain good after getting subject to the pollution in Hyd for a few years...

superfan liked this post
vakella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #9133
Fouz
Kid

Too bright!! The roof truss colour is same too, hope they make the roof white.
Old March 10th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #9134
tikkasriharsha
Sriharsha

better resolution

Flickr

-Krish- liked this post
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #9135
World8115

Metro gets its first model station

The Hindu, HYDERABAD, March 11, 2014
Quote:
image hosted on flickr

The first overhead station at Uppal to be ready in a couple of months

With successful simulation on ground inside the Uppal depot, L&T Metro Rail Hyderabad (L&TMRH) engineers have begun to put together the first overhead station at Uppal. The station, being developed into a model station, will be ready in a couple of months.

“Roofing has started but it will be fully operational only towards October when final trial runs for the first three-coach train will begin between Nagole and Mettuguda on the viaduct, the first stage of the project,” said Hyderabad Metro Rail (HMR) Managing Director N.V.S. Reddy.

Coaches are to begin their journey from South Korea in the second week of May and are expected to arrive here in June for trial runs to begin on the ground level tracks.

Station development is quite a significant development for project designers and engineers since it is the first time that the wing and span single pier station is being done.

A curing compound instead of water is being used for curing cement concrete, thereby avoiding spillage on the road below.

“Construction has to be thoroughly checked for structural stability and other design issues before the final go ahead is given. The process check will give necessary confidence to engineers to begin work on other overhead stations in the first stage of the project,” he explained.

There are about 10 girder launchers working at different sites across the three corridors for placing the segments on the top to form the viaduct superstructure on which the rails will be laid.

About 10 segments will be affixed, usually between two piers separated by a distance of about 31 meters or 100 ft.

A total of 28,000 segments, each weighing about 40 tonnes, will be used for the project.

Construction of the viaduct atop the piers raised has also begun on corridor two line (Jubilee Bus Station – Falaknuma) at two different locations of the old Gandhi Hospital site adjacent to the Secunderabad railway station and another one near the passport office in Secunderabad.

Metro rail is being constructed in the corridors of Miyapur-L.B.Nagar, JBS-Falaknuma and Nagole-Shilparama-Raidurg.
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:03 PM   #9136
ZaheerH

Likes (Received): 127

Realty prices surge on Metro route in Old City

Quote:
In two years, the cost of land doubles in areas around proposed Metro stations

Though full-fledged Metro Rail works are yet to commence in the south of the city, land prices on the proposed route have already shot up. If realtors are to be believed, land prices in vicinity of the Metro stations have almost doubled in the last couple of years.

For instance, while the revised government-fixed rate for Darulshifa is Rs.27,000 per square yard for commercial spaces and Rs.16,000 for residential ones, realtors and locals point out that rates have almost doubled after the Metro Rail works began a stone’s throw away from the area.

“Land prices are expected to rise further when the works begin. Already, many apartment buildings have come up and many more are on the anvil,” says Syed Hamed Hussain Jaffery, a local leader from Darulshifa.

Land prices in areas along the proposed corridor II of Metro Rail line that pass through Mandi Miralam, Alijah Kotla, Haribowli, Shahalibanda, Nagulchinta, Aliabad, Shamsheergunj and Falaknuma have increased significantly.

Take the case of Falaknuma. The government-fixed basic land prices stand at Rs.6,000 here while prevailing market rates are anywhere between Rs.14,000 to Rs.25,000 a square yard. Likewise, at Aliabad, it is between Rs.20,000 and Rs.25,000 a square yard and at Shahalibanda between Rs.25,000 and Rs.30,000, it is said.

“People feel there will be lot of development in the coming years and therefore prefer to invest in properties here,” an Aliabad resident points out.

However, locals complain that the Metro Rail authorities should come clear on the project route.

“People are still confused about the proposed route in Old City. If the authorities clear the air, land prices will further shoot up,” says Shahalibanda corporator Mohd. Ghouse.

Cashing in on the boon, many families are selling off property and going to newer neighbourhoods like Shaheen Nagar, Bandlaguda, Hafeezbaba Nagar and Rajendra Nagar. “People are buying bigger houses from the proceeds in these areas,” real estate broker Mohsin Khan says.

Areas not covered by the Metro have also witnessed some development in the last few years. A case in point is the Bahadupura, Kishanbagh and Tadban road, which was widened recently.
Hindu
ZaheerH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #9137
ZaheerH

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
The Railway Budget on 12 February, 2014 was largely seen as a non-event – not only because it was an interim budget but also because the action on rails seems to be happening outside the Railway Ministry.

Metro rail projects, which come under the Ministry of Urban Development, with track length of nearly 400 km and worth over Rs 100,000 crore are currently under execution across nine metropolitan cities. At least two of these projects are set to be operational in the next few months while others are expected to be over by 2016 – if things go according to plan.

Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad and Jaipur – among India’s largest and most congested cities –will finally see a modern urban mass transit system while Delhi and Mumbai will see additions to their existing transport networks. In an earlier article, IndiaSpend had identified mass transit projects as the key to reducing traffic congestion in large cities. Mumbai, with its extensive local trains system, has far fewer vehicles on the road than Delhi – which is of comparable size or even smaller cities like Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad or Jaipur.

Bangalore’s metro project has been operational for some time now – though on a very limited scale. Jaipur Metro is over 85% complete and trial runs for part of the route had started in September 2013. Mumbai Metro Rail’s first phase is currently the one closest to completion with over 98% of the work done and with test runs being carried out over the entire 11 km stretch.

Other projects in Chennai, Hyderabad and Kochi still have a long way to go, and are likely to be operational only by 2016. The Union Government has also received proposals for metro rail projects in Pune, Ahmedabad, Ludhiana and Lucknow. Delhi NCR seems to be getting the lion’s share of spending here with a large existing network and a 40% share in the on-going spends.

Table 1: India’s most congested cities (with million plus 2-wheelers)

table 2 status

The metro projects will be particularly welcome for Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad, which have the maximum number of private vehicles on roads after Delhi. All the three cities have more than 300 two-wheelers for every 1,000 residents.

Jaipur is a bit smaller than these three but what it lacks in size, it makes up for in congestion with a jaw dropping 447 two-wheelers for every 1,000 residents. One caveat here though – while an operational mass transit will help bring down traffic, impact on vehicle numbers will be visible after a much longer period as existing vehicles start getting off the roads (due to age) and new vehicles don’t replace them.

In case of Delhi, for instance, the metro rail project has been operational for some years now and the city’s vehicle density is only a tad less than other major metros.
India Spend

Last edited by ZaheerH; March 10th, 2014 at 11:25 PM.
ZaheerH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 08:46 AM   #9138
Fouz
Kid

Old March 11th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #9139
Fouz
Kid

Few days old piece of news
Bicycle kiosks planned at Metro stations
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle5764875.ece
Quote:
Hyderabad Metro Rail (HMR) will provide space for bicycle kiosks at 63 of its 66 proposed stations. While usage is likely to be free, maintenance at the bicycle stations could be handed over to a private partner under the public-private partnership mode.
HMR managing director N.V.S. Reddy said 350 bicycles were provided free to the first such station at Gachibowli, where an exclusive women’s cycling event was held on Saturday as part of International Women’s Day. Former Chief Secretary and member, Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT), Minnie Mathew emphasised on the need to make cities safe for women, so that they could move about freely and compete with men in all spheres of activity.*Continuous monitoring*
Mr. Reddy outlined the initiatives being taken to make the project comfortable and safe for women – continuous monitoring, policing, illumination etc. Under ‘Nirbhaya’ commute, Madhuranagar station would be transformed into a women-oriented Taruni, with women-centric shops.
Shipra Chenji,*who completed the 10 km race in 22 minutes, was declared the winner.
Sashivadhana Reddy and Srilatha Shankar stood second and third respectively. Special prizes were announced for*differently-abled Kiran Kanojia, and the youngest participants 9-year-old*Tamanna*and 10-year-old*Diksha*and the senior-most participant*Kavitha Perera.
Hyderabad Bicycle Club chairman D.V. Manohar said 1,500 of its 4,000 members were women. CII vice-president Vinita Datla, women entrepreneurs Suchitra Yella and Sarvamangalam, L&T Metro Rail Hyderabad CEO V.B. Gadgil took part.

superfan liked this post
Old March 11th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #9140
tikkasriharsha
Sriharsha

Flickr

Tags
hyderabad, metro

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: