daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues > Guess the City

Guess the City Can you guess the location?



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 4th, 2012, 03:48 AM   #101
SanMiguel
In Love with HK & BKK
 
SanMiguel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SW-Germany, HK & BKK
Posts: 4,834
Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanaManiac View Post
Even if it has been mentioned before, this ELEMENTARY advice bears repeating: Don't post a pic with the city name and/or country in the URL. It's like seeking privicy with an open door...
GOOD POINT!

but unfortunately it seems that this is not enough nowadays
since we have this kinda image search tools

my suggestion:

NOT just upload a pic which was copied from the web...
it has to be edited in a way to make it harder for those cheaters.

my additive way is: resize it, put it into an invisible folder on photbucket


i stilll don't get it how this image search really works...
but seems that pics edited in my way, cannot be found by cheaters (i hope)

.
SanMiguel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #102
Knitemplar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,666
Likes (Received): 278

Another rule" no BORING or UGLY scenery! I never compete in the boring-Ugly category. Very uninspiring.
Knitemplar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #103
GeoRom
Registered User
 
GeoRom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Twin Cities Area, MN
Posts: 121
Likes (Received): 1

I'm new here, and I'm wondering what's considered cheating for this game. I understand looking at the URL is cheating, but are we allowed to take information that can be gathered from the photo and Google it to try to find out what city it is?
GeoRom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #104
Brazilian001
carioca
 
Brazilian001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 35,213
Likes (Received): 31961

The use of Google Revese Image for search the picture posted is cheating the game.
Brazilian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #105
GeoRom
Registered User
 
GeoRom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Twin Cities Area, MN
Posts: 121
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazilian001 View Post
The use of Google Revese Image for search the picture posted is cheating the game.
I've never even heard of that. I mean like looking up where names of places seen in the image are (for example, a restaurant name), the kind of architecture or traffic signs and stuff like that.
GeoRom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #106
Brazilian001
carioca
 
Brazilian001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 35,213
Likes (Received): 31961

Obviously not, in fact I believe that's the only honest way to discover the place of the photo, noting the architecture, people, signs or any establishment of the city, or if by chance you have already visited the city and recognize it.
Brazilian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #107
Bovin
Meuh
 
Bovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Paris, Bordeaux
Posts: 190
Likes (Received): 196

Smile

Just thought I could share a little study I made

From September 5, 2010 (beginning of Guess the city) to July 31, 2012 (last complete month), 271 cities have been guessed in 698 days. Knowing that 151 cities have appeared more than once.
By country, cities from 99 different countries have been featured so far. But it may be interesting to note that the US cities represent 20% of the total, that more than one city out of three comes from 4 countries (USA, China, Australia, Brazil) or that more than half the time the cities from Guess the city come from "only" 10 countries.

Here are the number of times each city has appeared :


Per country :
Bovin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #108
Brazilian001
carioca
 
Brazilian001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 35,213
Likes (Received): 31961

Very interesting this study you made, Bovin. Thanks for sharing.
Brazilian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #109
SanMiguel
In Love with HK & BKK
 
SanMiguel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SW-Germany, HK & BKK
Posts: 4,834
Likes (Received): 60

I started such "study" too a few weeks ago, but not finished yet...
and i actually cannot make it complete, coz i didn't guessed all of them :-)

but so far i also figured out that Bangkok was show most and Melbourne is "runner up"

the hardest ever for me is to find that pic which only show a bridge, i still believe it's in China, but they have so many bridges there which look similar :-(
and some small places probably in Italy or Spain i also still have to guess...

Thanks for sharing, Bovin

.
SanMiguel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #110
elculo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 330
Likes (Received): 226

Nice work, although I think you counted La Paz for Peru instead of Bolivia.
And what is with Port of Spain?
elculo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #111
huuhn06
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2
Likes (Received): 0

thanks admin.
huuhn06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 09:57 AM   #112
William997
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Likes (Received): 0

thnx

hi thnx for this information
William997 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:20 AM   #113
Bovin
Meuh
 
Bovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Paris, Bordeaux
Posts: 190
Likes (Received): 196

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by elculo View Post
Nice work, although I think you counted La Paz for Peru instead of Bolivia.
And what is with Port of Spain?
Ouch ! You're right about La Paz, just checked it in my files. Shame on me, thanks for correcting

As for Port of Spain, it seems it has never appeared yet. I believe to remember it was supposed to be the right answer in early July (you may understand why I cannot give the exact date sorry ), whereas the picture didn't show Port of Spain but Kolkata. Jan fixed it afterwards.
Actually I copied/pasted every month in Notepad (to have the pictures removed while keeping the texts) so that no city should have been forgotten, normally
Thanks for your comments anyway
Bovin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #114
jose l.
Registered User
 
jose l.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Valencia- New York City
Posts: 62,929

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovin View Post
Just thought I could share a little study I made

From September 5, 2010 (beginning of Guess the city) to July 31, 2012 (last complete month), 271 cities have been guessed in 698 days. Knowing that 151 cities have appeared more than once.
By country, cities from 99 different countries have been featured so far. But it may be interesting to note that the US cities represent 20% of the total, that more than one city out of three comes from 4 countries (USA, China, Australia, Brazil) or that more than half the time the cities from Guess the city come from "only" 10 countries.

Here are the number of times each city has appeared :


Per country :
I realized a month ago this and what you did i did it too and i sent an email to skyscrapercity, i don't know who is responsible to choose it an post it to guess the city, but certainly the play and they are very "unfair" with other cities and countries, i understand that a city can be very famous, popular or just being a megalopolis city, but that doesn't mean that they can't give the same oportunity to small or unrecognized citites and countries. Is it fear that bangkok was posted 13 or 14 times? and Dominican Republic no even one? just to mention one country in random..but certainly they never responded my email, i believe that is not important for them and keeping discriminating small cities and countries

Does any one else made the point to Skycrapercity? so they can start being more fear or any moderator to address this point to the staff incharged
__________________
O que non ten que facer, sacha os nabos antes de nacer
jose l. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #115
Bovin
Meuh
 
Bovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Paris, Bordeaux
Posts: 190
Likes (Received): 196

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose l. View Post
...they are very "unfair" with other cities and countries, i understand that a city can be very famous, popular or just being a megalopolis city, but that doesn't mean that they can't give the same oportunity to small or unrecognized citites and countries. Is it fear that bangkok was posted 13 or 14 times? and Dominican Republic no even one? just to mention one country in random..but certainly they never responded my email, i believe that is not important for them and keeping discriminating small cities and countries

Does any one else made the point to Skycrapercity? so they can start being more fear or any moderator to address this point to the staff incharged
As far as I'm concerned, I don't find it necessarily "unfair" that some great cities from all over the world may haven't appeared yet. I've updated and corrected my little study. Actually, 277 different towns have now been shown in 729 days, from early September 2010 to late August 2012. In other words, each city has been repeated only 2.6 times in average. All in all, with 13 appearances in 24 months, Bangkok doesn't "weigh" more than 1.78% of the total, which also means that no city weighs more than 2% of the total, knowing besides that only 15 cities have represented more than 1% since the beginning.
By the way in August 2012, no fewer than 6 cities have been featured in GTC for the first time. It keeps growing up.
Personnally, I see no scandal here. Conversely I see a great effort of diversification, despite what we may be led to think when we feel a city is repeated too often compared to the others.

As regards countries, there's no denying that the USA and China dominate the game (1 city out of 4 is either American or Chinese). However I don't find it outrageous either. First, because the USA and China probably concentrate most of the skyscrapers of the world, second, because we are on skyscraperscity.com, not on cityscapecity.com and third, because 103 different countries have been represented in 2 years (among which 73 countries more than once).

All that my -quite useless - study may show is this, in my humble opinion : this game is richer and more varied than what we may think whenever we're asked to guess a town we've already seen before. No problem for me

That said, please find my updates below. Note that I may share my Excel file by PM, but without any dates of course

Per city


Per country
Bovin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #116
SanMiguel
In Love with HK & BKK
 
SanMiguel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SW-Germany, HK & BKK
Posts: 4,834
Likes (Received): 60

Sure, China is represented often, but only repeating few cities.
there are so much more recognizeable skylines in China, which would gave us more variety to guess...

even many US-cities are not shown yet, eg: Shreveport, Montgomery, New Haven, Stamford, Wilmington, Springfield,MA , Peoria, Frankfort, Grand Rapids, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Huntsville, Knoxville..and so on...

and of course there are other countries left which got identifiable cities which never shown in Jan's GTC.

all i ask for is more variety to make it less 'boring' for me :-)

.


Ps: of course i'm talking about cities with highrises since we're on a skyscraper-forum!
honestly i'm tired of small places w/o any highrise ...

.
SanMiguel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #117
jose l.
Registered User
 
jose l.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Valencia- New York City
Posts: 62,929

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
Sure, China is represented often, but only repeating few cities.
there are so much more recognizeable skylines in China, which would gave us more variety to guess...

even many US-cities are not shown yet, eg: Shreveport, Montgomery, New Haven, Stamford, Wilmington, Springfield,MA , Peoria, Frankfort, Grand Rapids, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Huntsville, Knoxville..and so on...

and of course there are other countries left which got identifiable cities which never shown in Jan's GTC.

all i ask for is more variety to make it less 'boring' for me :-)




Ps: of course i'm talking about cities with highrises since we're on a skyscraper-forum!
honestly i'm tired of small places w/o any highrise ...

.
I am agree with you 100% but I am not agree with Bovin, they are not fear at all. i don't remember exactly the month, but there was one that Bangkok was showed 3 o 4 times (in one month) pls... c'mon,, and i can't believe that no even one city from philipines haven't been picked up yet... and they have pretty good skyline if we are talking specifictly about that...does it make sense?.
__________________
O que non ten que facer, sacha os nabos antes de nacer
jose l. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #118
Bovin
Meuh
 
Bovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Paris, Bordeaux
Posts: 190
Likes (Received): 196

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
Sure, China is represented often, but only repeating few cities.
...
even many US-cities are not shown yet...
Yes but 47 cities from the USA (out of 277, ie 17% of the total) and 19 from China have already been shown. No other country has had as many cities featured as the USA and China so far. Besides the game is not over and new cities should appear, with no doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose l. View Post
I am agree with you 100% but I am not agree with Bovin, they are not fear at all. i don't remember exactly the month, but there was one that Bangkok was showed 3 o 4 times (in one month) pls... c'mon,, and i can't believe that no even one city from philipines haven't been picked up yet...
Yes, Bangkok was shown 4 times in a same month in 2010 and until 3 times in a same month in 2011 as well . That said, it's been featured only twice in 8 months in 2012, for the moment.
However I find it funny, personnaly. Which is what this game is supposed to be to me : funny and unpredictable. It has no well-defined logic everybody could guess in advance, like "ok this city now appeared so it cannot appear anymore for a few months".
As regards the Philppines, you're right, it's quite astonishing that Manila hasn't been shown yet for example.
Now several things may be found to be "surprising". Beijing has appeared only 3 times out of the 50 times a Chinese city has been shown for instance. Idem for Washington DC shown only 4 times -or NYC only 5 times- out of the 137 times a US city has been portrayed, same thing for Rome shown only once whereas we've had 13 Italian cities shown 22 times till August 2012 etc...
Well. It's part of the game I would say
I don't think it's "unfair" or whatever, knowing besides that the continent distribution is quite equitable actually (no continent or country look to be intentionally "excluded" so to say). I mean I don't think that the absence of certain cities is intended. I think it's a coincidence and a temporary one, conversely
Bovin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #119
ngoinhaxinh2013
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: city london
Posts: 1
Likes (Received): 0

Post Guess the City Can you guess the location?

thank post very or !
http://www.ngoinhaxinh.com.vn
ngoinhaxinh2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #120
specialdj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Saint-Louis / Basel
Posts: 150
Likes (Received): 22

Hello,

Why in the ranking we can see the "guess the city" of tommorow ?

For instance, tomorrow, the city witll be TBILISSI.
specialdj no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium