daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Urban Planning

Old May 5th, 2005, 03:59 AM   #1
bustero

Likes (Received): 2

Philippine National Infrastructure and Urban Planning

BY KERLYN G. BAUTISTA, Reporter
Mindanao rail planned
Germany, Saudi Arabia to put money in Cagayan-Cotabato phase

Germany and Saudi Arabia are investing over P18.1 billion to partially finance the construction of an 82.5-kilometer mass transit system that will link the cities of Iligan, Cagayan de Oro, Gingoog, Marawi, and Cotabato in Mindanao by 2008.

This project, estimated to cost $520 million or over P28 billion, is expected to benefit 60,000 to 90,000 commuters daily in the Iligan-Cagayan de Oro "Industrial Corridor."

Transport Undersecretary Guiling A. Mamondiong told BusinessWorld yesterday that Germany would invest 220 million euros or P15.4 billion this year for the railway’s electronics and mechanicals.

Through German technology company Siemens, it will also provide 12 trains with travel speeds of 80-150 kilometers per hour. It will also put up ticketing, signaling, and communication systems.

Saudi Arabia will also lend $40 million and donate another $10 million, or a total of P2.705 billion, for the project.

The official said the government would also seek funding from Kuwait, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Oman, Libya, Brunei, and Thailand, which would do the feasibility study on the railway. Civil works will start in 2006. Project completion is scheduled for 2008.

"This will be the first major railway system outside Metro Manila, something that is well in line with the decongestion of the metro. After these rail projects are finished, we think we can have 40% reduction in our oil import," he said.

The government is proposing to build the Mindanao Railway System, a six-phase, 2,000-kilometer circumferential railway system.

Its first phase will connect Iligan and Cotabato. Phase two will connect Gingoog, Butuan, and Surigao. Phase three will connect Butuan, Monkayo, and Davao. Phase four will connect Davao, General Santos and Cotabato. Phase five will connect Iligan, Aurora, Dipolog, Liloy, Ipil and Zamboanga, and phase six will connect Cagayan de Oro, Malaybalay, Damulog, and Davao.
bustero no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 5th, 2005, 04:55 AM   #2
queetz@home
ASF Chief Mod (retired)

Likes (Received): 38

WTF???? Is this for real?
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:14 AM   #3
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 11

Siemens Trains...wow. Yeah, its for real...although that project has been delayed for decades now. Hopefully it will finally push through.
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #4
SKYLINEPIGEON
slightly used

Likes (Received): 0

at last this will surely bring tremendous economic and social benefits to the people of mindanao and hopefully everybody muslims and christians alike will benefit from this infrastructure and contribute to peace and prosperty in this troubled region of our country
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #5
richard fischer

Likes (Received): 634

fantastic ! that would bring great prosperity to troubled mindanao ! but i cannot find any matches on the siemens homepage nor on german governments infrastructure/loans-to-the-phil. pages....hopefully this is not another illfated project like T 3 at NAIA with fraport. does anyone have some tips where i can find more about this project ?
salamat !
richard fischer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #6
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard fischer
fantastic ! that would bring great prosperity to troubled mindanao ! but i cannot find any matches on the siemens homepage nor on german governments infrastructure/loans-to-the-phil. pages....hopefully this is not another illfated project like T 3 at NAIA with fraport. does anyone have some tips where i can find more about this project ?
salamat !
as much as we'd all like to find information about many projects, the digging process is pretty difficult not every project has a website, and sometimes, if they did, it would be crap. After all, unlike skyscraper projects, infra projects don't feel the need to advertise anything other than Gloria's face After continuous digging, I'm sorry to say that your best source for info is most probably here

If you're not content with the info here, you're free to dig on your own. News articles contain the most information at times, but they can be dreadfully repetitive. The NEDA site also lists infra projects and what status of red-tape they're in. Other government sites may have a tidbit or two, as well

Anyways, back on topic, this is such a cool project, but I can't help but feel that these trains are probably way better that what northrail is gonna get
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #7
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 11

Yeah, Siemens trains are definitely better than any Chinese DMU trains Northrail will get. If only Northrail also got Siemens rolling stock
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #8
KulasKusgan
Rebirth of a Dragon

Likes (Received): 53

i hope it will push through. studies on that mindanao-wide network were conducted during ramos administration pa ata.
"Do not ever believe that you solely own the evils, and that you are the only demons in this world... Watch out when our roads cross, and pray that somebody would witness when I catch you,” Duterte stressed, addressing the criminals and syndicates.
KulasKusgan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #9
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 33

It was a flagship project under Erap. I have route maps in my computer somewhere.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:22 AM   #10
naughtyins0mniac
HAHA.. Zzz.. HAHA.. Zzz..

whoah, this is cool.. this will start mindanao's development.. or should i say improve mindanao's development??.. siemens? definitely cool!!.. wish luzon also have trains like this.
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:26 AM   #11
simply_me
Bad! Bad Ikaw!

if it will come to reality... mindanao will surely soar high....more investments... just hoping things about the project will turn out right...

diara.. pampalagsik...
simply_me no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 03:40 AM   #12
tyronne
Khal vezhven!

Likes (Received): 38

sana yung mga rebelde sa timog iwanan na ang pagrerebelde nila. instead, they should take advantage of any job opportunities this project would bring to the locals of mindanao.
Old May 6th, 2005, 03:58 AM   #13
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

Likes (Received): 160

well... I hope too.. that this project pushes through... connecting the Mindanao province will ease out movement of goods...
pau_p1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #14
amras
Batang Munti

Likes (Received): 2

it's probably the best moved yet... more developments, these are what mindanao really needs. let's pray that all things go well. and I also dont mind that they're getting the Siemens trains (and northrail only gets the chinese dmu's). they should have the best facilities if ever possible.
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #15
richard fischer

hi boybyhy,
can you put those routemaps of the railways in mindanao to our all convenience please ? could not find any....salamat po !
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #16
richard fischer

i also read that the panay railway system is to be rehabilitated with a new connex to the being-built new airport complex of iloilo. any news about that plan ?
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #17
ewh1
Red Hot.

Likes (Received): 3

ooooh yea i remember one of the forumers posted the sign of the gov't Rehabilitating the line.. i believe Siemens are also the rolling stock being used
Old May 7th, 2005, 02:52 AM   #18
Sou-jiro
Left Midfielder-UnionFC

Likes (Received): 7

that great!...a railway system in Mindanao!awesome....
Old May 7th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #19
richard fischer

hi solblanc,
you are sooo right. i am very glad i found this site here ! let´s see how mindanao rail develops. hopefully not another fake completion date, posponed and posponed year by year through curruption and other mischiefs over and over again.
Old May 7th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #20
SKYLINEPIGEON
slightly used

dont worry richard we are all praying the project will be completed for the good of the people of mindanao