daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area > Transportation and Infrastructure

Transportation and Infrastructure Discuss mass transit, roads, bridges, airports, water management, etc here.

Old November 26th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #1
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 595

What is the worst traffic signal in your area?

I started this thread because I am furious over the timing of certain traffic signals in Tampa. Particularly Dale Mabry and Tampa Bay Blvd. The timing is so terrible that it takes almost 4 to 5 minutes just to make a left turn onto Tampa Bay Blvd from Dale Mabry. What is worse, is that today, the left turn signal from southbound Dale Mabry to westbound Tampa Bay Blvd only lasted 3 seconds! What kind of crap is that? 3 seconds? That left turn signal is supposed to last at least 8 to 10 seconds, allowing at least 14 to 16 vehicles to make the left turn. 3 seconds only gets 6 to 8 vehicles through. I had to wait through 4 lighting cycles before I finally made the left turn onto Tampa Bay Blvd. 4 lighting cycles = 15 minutes of wasted time sitting at the intersection. That is such bullshit (sorry for the language Jason). I swear, I'm going to write to the city about this. They need to fix that signal before more commuters go insane. What department is responsible for traffic signal maintenance/operation for the city of Tampa anyway? This is just plain crazy!
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by HARTride 2012; November 26th, 2007 at 03:29 PM.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 26th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #2
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 136

The light from Fletcher Av. onto I-275 during the weekend or during the day. That light is also only a few seconds, enough time for 3 cars to go - if all three are paying attention. During rush hour the light is great, plenty of time for the whole line of cars to go, but any other time of day and it is awful!

Steve

tampasteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #3
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

On many past observations, even back when I was taking HARTline to HCC, the timing of the Tampa Bay Blvd/Dale Mabry intersection was not as bad as it was this morning. The wait on Tampa Bay Blvd has always been about 4 to 5 minutes. But the left turn signals on both directions of Dale Mabry have been at least 10 seconds, many times 17 to 20 seconds, which allows plenty of cars to get through. But this morning was insane. I think it was because of the Thanksgiving holiday and perhaps the city changed the timings in anticipation for lighter travel from Thursday to Saturday. But whatever the reason, I think it is ridiculous to sit 15 minutes (4 light cycles) at an intersection with the turn lane signal only lasting 3 seconds before going to red.
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook

Old November 26th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #4
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 5

All of the lights that don't have sensors.
I find myself in downtown waiting at traffic lights with no one coming sitting there for 5 minutes.
The absolute worst I think is Gunn Hwy/N. Mobley

JBrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #5
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrisco View Post
All of the lights that don't have sensors.
Agreed, a lot of the older strands tend to be worse in my opinion than the computerized ones on mast-arm poles.

Old November 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #6
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Then there is the lone monotube at Park Blvd and 66th St. That isn't so bad.

Old November 26th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #7
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 372

You guys don't have to through it, but the lights out of my community is a pieace of sh*t! Seriously, if you get there when the light turns red for a left urn, you'll be waiting years. It takes 4 f*cking minutes for it to turn green. And for some reason the have the straight of way in the right lane instead of the left. So if you have 4 cars trying to take a right, you're screwed if the front car is going straight. They recently changed the timings because of accidents, but it's complete crap what the timing is for the lights.

And the SR 54/Little Rd Intersection is horrible. Might as well call it Crash Central......

TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #8
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Providence and Gronto Lake Rd in Brandon. No light at all...major disaster. I hope they get a light sooner than later.

Old November 27th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #9
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

I went through the Dale Mabry/Tampa Bay Blvd intersection again yesterday afternoon to see that the timings for the turn lanes had returned to normal length. I still don't understand why the timings were not switched that morning.

Old November 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #10
Robert.Maddrey
Native Floridian

Likes (Received): 3

Bearrs & Florida Ave @ rush hour. It backs up on both Bearrs and Florida from the interstate east and west and from the south to the north.

Down Shift Magazine
>> My Photos of Tampa <<

Robert.Maddrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #11
thehappysmith
Two-bit Hack

Likes (Received): 2

The worst light I deal with on a daily/frequent basis is Cass @ N Boulevard. The light is timed in favor of Blvd--to the extant that if you miss the Cass light, you wait 60 seconds for the pedestrian do-not-cross hand to start blinking--and it starts counting down from 23. The road is not that wide there; 23 is what you set for Gandy/Dale Mabry or something. At best this thing needs to count from 15, maybe 12. And 60 seconds of nothing? At North Boulevard? Look, it's a nice road and all, but if 12 cars go by while I'm waiting it's a busy day. And traffic stacks up at Cass--by the time the light turns you have eight or ten cars on each side, half of them trying to turn left (and of course half of those are drunk idiots from the PJs who don't know how to use blinkers and are attempting a left turn out of the right lane). There's no reason whatsoever for it to be that long; traffic would move much more efficiently--and emissions would be reduced--if both lights were on equal timing and waits did not exceed 45 seconds on either side.

Oh, and my fiancee's least favorite by far is the light for the left turn getting of 275-North at Fletcher. What the hell is up with that? I can't even explain to you what is wrong with that light if you haven't sat there and watched them change in an apparently random pattern. Some mornings no more than three cars get through that light for the left turn--and there's always fifteen waiting. It's ridiculous; she's gotten so she gets off at Fowler and takes Florida up to Fletcher and turns left there. It's actually faster. That's sick.

Last edited by thehappysmith; November 27th, 2007 at 03:52 PM. Reason: added
thehappysmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #12
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Gandy and Dale Mabry has no pedestrian indicators at all. You're basically going by the signals themselves. I don't think there are plans to replace the strand either.

Old November 27th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #13
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehappysmith View Post
Oh, and my fiancee's least favorite by far is the light for the left turn getting of 275-North at Fletcher. What the hell is up with that? I can't even explain to you what is wrong with that light if you haven't sat there and watched them change in an apparently random pattern. Some mornings no more than three cars get through that light for the left turn--and there's always fifteen waiting. It's ridiculous; she's gotten so she gets off at Fowler and takes Florida up to Fletcher and turns left there. It's actually faster. That's sick.
Thanks for that head's up. I will be getting off at Fowler when I visit USF on Thursday.

Old November 27th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #14
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres_of_2036 View Post
You guys don't have to through it, but the lights out of my community is a pieace of sh*t! Seriously, if you get there when the light turns red for a left urn, you'll be waiting years. It takes 4 f*cking minutes for it to turn green. And for some reason the have the straight of way in the right lane instead of the left. So if you have 4 cars trying to take a right, you're screwed if the front car is going straight. They recently changed the timings because of accidents, but it's complete crap what the timing is for the lights.

And the SR 54/Little Rd Intersection is horrible. Might as well call it Crash Central......
MacDil and Spruce St.... Is crash central. lol

JBrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #15
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 533

Quote:
What is the worst traffic signal in your area?
All of them. lol

I think the worst signal intersections that I deal with constantly are the ones at Columbus and Dale Mabry, Waters and Dale Mabry and Erlich and Dale Mabry... All of those need fully or partially converted with flyovers, and they needed it like 10 years ago. (of course, what is really needed is an alternative route into the Westshore district, likely down through the airport)

There are several others in the Brandon area, USF/New Tampa area, and a few sucky ones in central Pinellas.

Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #16
FlaNatv

Likes (Received): 48

Dale Mabry at Waters definately causes long backups southboud during rush hours. It backs up north of Busch/Gunn and causes back ups on Busch and Gunn. Definately some flyovers would help.

Also a Flyover from westbound Fowler onto Southbound I275 starting before the RR crossing would be nice.

FlaNatv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #17
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

It sucks that Dale Mabry was never converted into a freeway like Justin indicated on Bayciti. What a huge difference that would have been.

Old November 27th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #18
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 6

High-crash junctions

By JARED LEONE, Times Staff Writer

Published November 23, 2007

If you suspect the traffic snarls on the morning commute through northwestern Hillsborough are in the same place each week, you might be right. Over the past year intersections on Waters Avenue, Dale Mabry Highway, Interstate 275 and Interstate 75 have been the site of more than 370 accidents.

Are the roads or drivers to blame? It is a little of both, said Cpl. Billy Hughes, a Hillsborough County sheriff traffic coordinator. Hughes said the majority of traffic accidents occur because of inattentive drivers. Hughes said factors like rain and time of day also play a part in causing an accident.

Hillsborough by the numbers

40,000 The number of daily drivers on Waters Avenue. Four intersections accounted for more than 35 accidents in four months.

47 The number of accidents in four months on Fletcher Avenue at the I-275 and Nebraska Avenue intersections.

91 The number of accidents in 10 months at the Fowler Avenue and I-75 intersection. This is the highest frequency of accidents in that area.

Tips on reducing accidents

-Obey the speed limit.

-Know your driving ability and your vehicle's capabilities.

-Honor the light, but don't have complete faith in the light.

-Use caution in inclement weather.

-Stay attentive.

-Wear a safety belt.

-Be careful at night because of reduced visibility.

[Last modified November 21, 2007, 07:22:39]

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/11/23/No...unctions.shtml

A head buried in the sand cannot see the light of truth. g. lilly

Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #19
thehappysmith
Two-bit Hack

Likes (Received): 2

^Tips on reducing accidents

1. Don't be an asshole.
2. Assume everybody else is an asshole.

That's what driving really is, right?

thehappysmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #20
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 533

^Tips on reducing accidents

1. Don't construct an automotive transportation network so piss poor at doing its job that people are essentially encouraged to break the law as they desperately seek more efficient ways of getting from here to there.

2. Provide efficient and effective alternative means of transit on segregated ROW.

Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote