daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 20th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Fusionist
unBANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Chepauk | MAC Cricket Stadium | U/C

Quote:
London-based practice Hopkins Architects has started work on the first phase of the new reconstruction project of M. A. Chidambaram Stadium at Chepauk in Chennai, capital city of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.

Three stands on the eastern edge of the cricket stadium site have now been demolished and piling has commenced, signaling a new chapter in the development of this historic ground.

The first of four phases, which will see the complete reconstruction of the Chidambaram Stadium by mid-2011, comprises three new reinforced concrete stands. These stands are designed to accommodate 10,000 spectators and 24 hospitality boxes under translucent PTFE membrane roofs.

The stadium, popularly known as Chepauk Stadium is the home ground of the Tamil Nadu cricket team and also for IPL's Chennai Super Kings.

Source: http://stadium.worldinteriordesignne...n_india_091203

Last edited by Fusionist; January 21st, 2010 at 03:06 PM.
Fusionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 20th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Fusionist
unBANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnancv View Post
Construction Begins at Chennai

November 27, 2009

Construction has started on the first phase of the new Cricket Stadium at Chepauk in Chennai. Three stands on the eastern edge of the site have now been demolished and piling has commenced, signalling a new chapter in the development of this historic ground.

The first of four phases which will see the complete re-construction of the Chidambaram Stadium by mid-2011, comprises three new reinforced concrete stands accommodating 10,000 spectators and 24 hospitality boxes under translucent PTFE membrane roofs. When finally built out, the 43,000 seat stadium will help to bring back the "swing" for which Chennai is so famous, and the sporting chances it brings to the game.

http://www.hopkins.co.uk/news/?item=74&skip=&year=
any render ar artistic impression of how the stadium will look once complete ?
Old December 20th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #3
harsh1802
MAVerick

Likes (Received): 83

Nice. Good to see that at least some of the stadiums being re-modeled to fit modern times!

Yes would like to see a render too.

Webcams Thread / Hyderabad Cityscapes

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
harsh1802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 12:06 AM   #4
Arul Murugan

Likes (Received): 2933

One of the construction pictures

Dinakaran

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Arul Murugan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:51 AM   #5
ferrari_fan
Forza!

Likes (Received): 266

Wow significant progress already - didn't realise it was this far along..
ferrari_fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 02:47 PM   #6
Fusionist
unBANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari_fan View Post
Wow significant progress already - didn't realise it was this far along..
shows how slow SSC Chennai forumers are

The idea of this sub-section is to bring to notice and follow projects from scratch, especially big construction projects. I am amazed no one even bothered to start a new thread for this huge project.

Same way the Marina project, which is one of the largest urban landscaping project Chennai has ever taken, went unnoticed until the project was almost complete. I encourage forumers to keenly follow construction projects, especially buildings of public interest ( ie. library/assembly/stadiums etc ) and update them regularly in separate threads.
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM   #7
nsantha2

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusionist View Post
shows how slow SSC Chennai forumers are

The idea of this sub-section is to bring to notice and follow projects from scratch, especially big construction projects. I am amazed no one even bothered to start a new thread for this huge project.

Same way the Marina project, which is one of the largest urban landscaping project Chennai has ever taken, went unnoticed until the project was almost complete. I encourage forumers to keenly follow construction projects, especially buildings of public interest ( ie. library/assembly/stadiums etc ) and update them regularly in separate threads.
I think that's a bit harsh - as far as the Marina reconstruction was concerned, there was no separate thread, but there was tons of discussion, news posts, images, etc.

As far as the Chepauk one was concerned, I'm surprised at how fast it's happened. Was there very much in the news that we missed? I didn't think so.
nsantha2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM   #8
Fusionist
unBANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsantha2 View Post
I think that's a bit harsh - as far as the Marina reconstruction was concerned, there was no separate thread, but there was tons of discussion, news posts, images, etc.

As far as the Chepauk one was concerned, I'm surprised at how fast it's happened. Was there very much in the news that we missed? I didn't think so.
well I do admit I might sound harsh but aren't we the premier webforum that covers extensively the building project updates in Chennai ? We need to act as leaders, not followers. Missing out such projects, or simply paying little attention to such big ventures in the 'chennai projects update' thread is not the way forward is it ? Hence my criticism.

If you check out the foreign city sub-forums or even the Mumbai sub-forum you can see a better index of all the major construction projects in separate threads. Not sure why it is not the same in Chennai forum.
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #9
krishnancv

Likes (Received): 417

Pic taken from MRTS train on 24th Dec, 2009.

My perspective
krishnancv está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #10
Arul Murugan

Likes (Received): 2933

MAC works progressing in good speed to host Cricket world cup 2011

Dinakaran

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Arul Murugan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #11
Fusionist
unBANNED

I hope they use yellow and blue chairs to reflect the CSK colours ? From what I see thatws not the case.
Old December 30th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #12
sampath1986

Likes (Received): 12

Well, i hope the new structure which is going to come up does not have those big pillars, which is an irritation while watching the match....
sampath1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:31 AM   #13
sridhar_n

Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampath1986 View Post
Well, i hope the new structure which is going to come up does not have those big pillars, which is an irritation while watching the match....
Considering the climate in Chennai, shelters will be inevitable. Yes, they have to design it in a way which will minimise the pillars. Yes, those pillars were indeed a big nuisance. I hope they will also build good press box and other amenities for the spectators.
sridhar_n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:31 PM   #14
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 171

I hope the design of the new stand is repeated throughout the stadium. After all, it is considered a "complete" reconstruction.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:56 PM   #15
Indian Sun

Likes (Received): 298

All the stands will be rebuilt, but it is not necessary that the design may be continuous as it was earlier. My guess is that since A,B and C stands were demolished first in one phase, they might form one particular stand.

I wonder why Hopkins haven't released the render yet. Their Pune MCA Stadium project has very clear renders.
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #16
gvijayan
GV

Likes (Received): 117

Is the stadium going to be in a position to host the IPL-3 edition games to be conducted this March? I was under the impression that IPL-2010 games will not be hosted in Chennai, but the fixtures say that there are going to be games.
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:06 AM   #17
kodai

Likes (Received): 0

what happened to this news

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-n...tadium/353583/

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...2450952300.htm

Are they both two different projects Ma chidambaram(Chepauk) and the new stadium.

Does any one know the status of the above Project at Karunkuzhipallam?

Last edited by kodai; January 21st, 2010 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Just wanted to add one more news from HINDU
kodai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:49 AM   #18
ferrari_fan
Forza!

Likes (Received): 266

The new stadium plan has been scrapped - it's going to be only the reconstructed MAC stadium now..
ferrari_fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM   #19
sathya_226
DIPLOMAT

Likes (Received): 23

Can any one from chennai post the latest pictures?
sathya_226 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:29 PM   #20
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

Likes (Received): 1295

New stadium - Rendering

Rendering: http://www.hopkins.co.uk/projects/_3,140/

The existing ground is situated in a tight urban site a couple of streets from the beachfront to the east. Our proposals create a series of twelve stands set on top of a continuous lower bowl of terracing. The sea breeze is then able to flow through the horizontal gap between the lower terrace and the upper stands and also through gaps between the stands and across the playing surface. Stands on the eastern edge of the site are reduced in scale, but follow a similar section, to allow greater air-flow from the east.

Daytime temperatures can reach 45°C in Chennai and so extensive translucent fabric roof structures provide shade over the stands. Sports and catering facilities such as badminton, squash and swimming pools for two social clubs at the ground, in addition to a cricket academy and car parking are also provided as part of the redevelopment.
Anniyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: