daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Old April 29th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #1
scorpiogenius
K e e p W a l k i n g

Likes (Received): 100

Kerala Cafe

Fellas,

I guess you've all heard our Government's decision to curb the width of our National Highways to a bare minimum of 30m from the initially proposed 45m. Did I miss the report being discussed here or are you guys in favour of it? This is going to affect the NH 17 developments as well, which will be a severe blow to the future progress of our state, I'm afraid.

I think our netas are working their way into bringing this state into apocalypse. Today my MP Dr. Shashi Tharoor also appeared to be in two minds, giving an indication of succumbing to this 30 meter argument. Tharoor thinks that the political decision is the popular decision, but he is clearly wrong there. Are we all satisfied by this çountry-class highway which rules out any scope for future expansion or development?

http://twitter.com/ShashiTharoor/status/13075030768

He has also quoted one of our friend's article on the subject. Please find time to go through the article to get a grasp on the 'whys', as I don't find anyone in the press or public too much bothered about this.

Sanju, perhaps we may need a 'Calicut discussions' thread here to address such issues instead of messing up the Projects thread. I feel this is one issue we need to take up instead of being armchair critics which is total waste of time and space as well as being unkind to the brain and bum.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

Old April 30th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #2
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Likes (Received): 3394

We could discuss this in Kerala thread right? I had mentioned this in Kannur thread but nobody responded. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1513
Old April 30th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #3
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslesh View Post
We could discuss this in Kerala thread right? I had mentioned this in Kannur thread but nobody responded. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1513
We can have a 'Kerala Cafe' thread where all such discussions can be carried out.
sudheeshnairs no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #4
sachinrk
Sachin R K

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Not to worry Aslesh. This ( 30m wide NH ) is just a proposal put forward by the all party meeting....NHAI / Kamal Nath is not going to make an exception just for Kerala...the tenders have been awarded anyway...Shashi Tharoor indicated the same in another tweet "All parties in Kerala want narrower national hwys 2minimize public disruption.But Govt says roads can't be built below standard specificns."
sachinrk no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #5
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiogenius View Post
Fellas,

I guess you've all heard our Government's decision to curb the width of our National Highways to a bare minimum of 30m from the initially proposed 45m. Did I miss the report being discussed here or are you guys in favour of it? This is going to affect the NH 17 developments as well, which will be a severe blow to the future progress of our state, I'm afraid.

I think our netas are working their way into bringing this state into apocalypse. Today my MP Dr. Shashi Tharoor also appeared to be in two minds, giving an indication of succumbing to this 30 meter argument. Tharoor thinks that the political decision is the popular decision, but he is clearly wrong there. Are we all satisfied by this çountry-class highway which rules out any scope for future expansion or development?

http://twitter.com/ShashiTharoor/status/13075030768

He has also quoted one of our friend's article on the subject. Please find time to go through the article to get a grasp on the 'whys', as I don't find anyone in the press or public too much bothered about this.

Sanju, perhaps we may need a 'Calicut discussions' thread here to address such issues instead of messing up the Projects thread. I feel this is one issue we need to take up instead of being armchair critics which is total waste of time and space as well as being unkind to the brain and bum.

Thanks
Sorry for replying late guys.....well, regarding the width of NH...45m is the correct proposition for a 4 lane road i guess, if they have made it to 30m, its damn clear that govt or supporting political parties want to protect many bigshots..and there is hell lot of space on both sides of NH-17 especially in Malappuram Dist, space crunch can only be seen on places in the streach from edappally till guruvayoor, which can be easily cleared by building bypasses..Valanchery, edappal etc also need bypasses, while quilandy, mahi, talssery & kannur who are the real bottle necks are also going to get bypasses so y they have to curb..if its just a proposal inside the party as somebody said above then let us wait and see...and sorry guys i have lost hopes in Sasi Tharoor...excuse me..

Last edited by sanjupalayat; April 30th, 2010 at 09:27 PM.
sanjupalayat no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2010, 06:38 AM   #6
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

I think this proposal is for NH-47 in Alappuzha, Kollam and trivandrum. Those are the most thickly populated areas. As sanju said NH-17 passes through sparsely populated areas like those in Malappuram district. We need not follow this proposal for NH-17. If its for all the NHs in Kerala then its a sad news.

See in NH-17 Kasargod-Valapattanam and Ramanattukara-Ponnani sections pass through sparsely populated regions. There are some towns like Taliparamba, Payyannur, Valancheri, Kottakkal etc for which bypasses are already proposed. So these sections can be 45m wide. From valapattanam to ramattukara it goes through thickly populated coastal area. But in the current proposal some 60-70% of this portion is going to be bypass. There is a bypass for Kannur from valapattanam to nadal. Then from muzhappilangad to mahe there will be a bypass for thalassery and mahe. Then there is a bypass Koyilandy. I am not sure but I guess towns like payyoli will also get bypassed. Then comes Calicut NH bypass. So this section can also be 45m wide with all these bypasses.

I don't have much hope about ponnani-edappally section. This area is really troublesome. It is heavily populated and also they are the same people who are against Thanur-Edappally railway line. Early there was huge agitation against land aquisition for two laning the NH-17. I don't think they will allow allow 45m wide NH. It is fine if this section is just 30m wide. They deserve that much only. Also after reaching kuttipuram in NH-17 most travellers will opt for the state highway to reach thrissur and then travel through NH-47 to reach Ernakulam. It is the existing route used by buses too and it is not going to change even if NH is widened to 45 or even 60 metres.

But one thing I fear is that the agitations in Edappally-Ponnani section may reduce the width of NH-17 upto Kasargod. They may even try to stop the four laning altogether. I think GoK has to adopt some differentiation instead of treating the whole kerala equally. Where ever possible try to acquire land for 45m or 60m and when it is not possible go for 30m. Atleast we will get good roads in some parts of Kerala. Let others be jealous and enjoy dying in accidents. Its already 45m in Thrissur-Angamali section. I think its going to 60m wide from Thrissur to Palakkad. So it is not going to be 30m in whole Kerala. Narrow minded people will have to suffer.

Now who is going to start the Kerala Cafe thread?
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:06 AM   #7
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Quote:
I think this proposal is for NH-47 in Alappuzha, Kollam and trivandrum. Those are the most thickly populated areas. As sanju said NH-17 passes through sparsely populated areas like those in Malappuram district. We need not follow this proposal for NH-17. If its for all the NHs in Kerala then its a sad news.
They are not densily populated as we think, MC road is more dencer, as Ajay said in his blog a lot of barren land available for development...

Quote:
See in NH-17 Kasargod-Valapattanam and Ramanattukara-Ponnani sections pass through sparsely populated regions. There are some towns like Taliparamba, Payyannur, Valancheri, Kottakkal etc for which bypasses are already proposed. So these sections can be 45m wide. From valapattanam to ramattukara it goes through thickly populated coastal area. But in the current proposal some 60-70% of this portion is going to be bypass. There is a bypass for Kannur from valapattanam to nadal. Then from muzhappilangad to mahe there will be a bypass for thalassery and mahe. Then there is a bypass Koyilandy. I am not sure but I guess towns like payyoli will also get bypassed. Then comes Calicut NH bypass. So this section can also be 45m wide with all these bypasses.
I agree with you on most of the points, and for Calicut Bypass, they have already acquired land for a 50m Wide road some 40 years ago, it passes mainly on different terrains which include hills and agricultural land and they are all sparsely populated regions.
Quote:
I don't have much hope about ponnani-edappally section. This area is really troublesome. It is heavily populated and also they are the same people who are against Thanur-Edappally railway line. Early there was huge agitation against land aquisition for two laning the NH-17. I don't think they will allow allow 45m wide NH. It is fine if this section is just 30m wide. They deserve that much only. Also after reaching kuttipuram in NH-17 most travellers will opt for the state highway to reach thrissur and then travel through NH-47 to reach Ernakulam. It is the existing route used by buses too and it is not going to change even if NH is widened to 45 or even 60 metres.
We need this road to be widened at any cost, coz it will reduce the distance between calicut & ernakulam for about 30 km, means we can save 1 hour while travelling between these cities...30m will do..its better to have atleast something when there is nothing....

Quote:
Now who is going to start the Kerala Cafe thread?
You can do it....
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:09 AM   #8
scorpiogenius
K e e p W a l k i n g

Kerala Cafe

Here we go!

Sudheesh bhai, thanks for the name suggestion! And shall I request you to move our NH development discussions from Calicut thread to this one please? Thanks
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:11 AM   #9
engineer.akash
Citizen of the milky way

Likes (Received): 2792

oh Kerala's chaibar................

TIER TWO CITIES RAKSHAK
engineer.akash no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:12 AM   #10
scorpiogenius
K e e p W a l k i n g

Sanju, I have it opened already

Kerala Cafe

Request the mod to transfer the posts over to there, we can keep Calicut projects thread clutter free.
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:30 AM   #11
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiogenius View Post
Sanju, I have it opened already

Kerala Cafe

Request the mod to transfer the posts over to there, we can keep Calicut projects thread clutter free.
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM   #12
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Sudeeshbhai, plz move highway discussions posts from calicut thread to this thread....so that we can continue our discussions here...
Old May 1st, 2010, 12:45 PM   #13
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjupalayat View Post
I agree with you on most of the points, and for Calicut Bypass, they have already acquired land for a 50m Wide road some 40 years ago, it passes mainly on different terrains which include hills and agricultural land and they are all sparsely populated regions.
Actually they have to take 100 meters now. Now it is just for four laning. Soon we have to do six laning. 45m is a concession given to Kerala by the central govt.

Quote:
We need this road to be widened at any cost, coz it will reduce the distance between calicut & ernakulam for about 30 km, means we can save 1 hour while travelling between these cities...30m will do..its better to have atleast something when there is nothing....
For this road to be useful the state highway from Calicut to Ponnani coastal highway has to be completed. A state highway is not going to be wider than 30 ms. Then from ponnani to edappally even if its 30m it will okay I think. As you said it will be better than nothing.

Even if NH-17 and NH-47 are widened to 45m, the Kuttippuram-Thrissur link between them is going to be the real bottle neck. Is there any plan for a bypass between Thrissur-Guruvayoor road and NH-47?

Anyways we really need that Thrissur-Angamali style highway all over Kerala. Have you seen that highway? It is really superb.
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:25 PM   #14
Sali_varakkal

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Sudeeshbhai, plz move highway discussions posts from calicut thread to this thread....so that we can continue our discussions here...

Sudheeshji, I have limited knowledge on Roads down south. Therefore dont find mention in this post.

Whereever there is space for 45mts let them do it.
From Mangalore till Kasaragod
Wherever there are alternate paths, let them develop all of them equally.
From Kasaragod till Kanjhangaad both through Cherkala and Uduma
From Kuttipuram to north both through Putuponnani and Edappal.
From Calicut to Ponnai both through University and proposed coastal route via Chamravattom

You will need countless number of byepasses in other stretches. No other go.

One advantage of developing multiple paths between cities is that can create a policy on what vehicles can ply on which road. Instead of allowing all vehicles from TANKER lorry to two wheeler on a big 4 LANE highway we need to make access of vehicles restricted.I have given an example case below.

Do not build roads which restrict access to locals and their tvs mopeds and maruti 800's. Kerala is URBAN in its entire length thats why I am voicing my opinion against access restricted highways.

For example in the two paths from Kasaragod to Kanjangad on one path through Uduma only KSRTC buses ply end to end ( nationalised route). The tanker lorries and truck traffic is not allowed on the path. In the other path we used to have all the, goods traffic, private buses and Town to town KSRTC. Therefore developing and maintaining these two routes in 30m width will be better than having a 45 mts highway with access restrictions.

When we have two routes to a destination the commercial interest of owning a TOLL Path will diminish.Two paths means competition and the aam aadmi ke Sarkar now a days are not allowing this. They insist on one and only one BIG FAT toll way.
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:19 PM   #15
Aslesh
Aslesh Rajan K

Those alternatives routes are already being developed under different projects. Kasargod-Uduma-Kanhangad and Valapattanam-Pazhayangadi-Pilathara roads can serve as alternative routes for NH-17 and are planned to be developed under the next phase of KSTP. Hopefully the coastal highway from Calicut to Ponnani will also get developed by Kerala PWD. But still I don't think that will solve our problem. We need highways of better modern standards and not those stupid state highway like NH. Those KSTP roads by may look better and wider but there is no care for safety. Forget about the median but there is not even lane markings in most places. In fact it promotes rash driving.

A 45m highway is not going to restrict TVS mopeds and maruthi 800s. If we can have such a highway in thrissur then there won't be any problem in the whole Kerala. I am really feeling jealous towards central Kerala. They get everything in the first place. Whether it be the doubled electrified railway line or the 45m wide national highway. We are still waiting and it may never happen also.
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:22 PM   #16
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Likes (Received): 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sali_varakkal View Post
Sudheeshji, I have limited knowledge on Roads down south. Therefore dont find mention in this post.

Whereever there is space for 45mts let them do it.
That should be the idea. Already 45 metres of land has acquired along NH 47 stetches especially Kollam Bypass (13.5 Kms). I strongly advocate that the Kollam Bypass or any other roads that are passing through any other city should have 45 metres width if the land is already aquired.

We should look at our city roads with a Vision 2020 outlook. What will the government do with the remaining 15 metres of acquired land if the road width is going to be just 30 metres? There is scope for more scams and bribes in such a situation!!!.
Reghu está en línea ahora  
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:09 PM   #17
sakrishna
ACCOUNT CLOSED

Quote:
I am really feeling jealous towards central Kerala. They get everything in the first place.
Asleshetta, I'm feeling jealous towards the whole of rest of kerala (Kerala - C.T.)
sakrishna no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:39 PM   #18
sachinrk
Sachin R K

Likes (Received): 1

Post Hope springs eternal

Article from Indian Express ( Apr 22nd) that all-party demand is likely to be rejected.

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The demand of the all-party meeting to restrict the width of NH-17 and NH-47 to 30-metres is likely to be rejected by the National Highways Authority of India and Surface Transport Ministry. Sources in the PWD told `Express’ that a similar demand when raised earlier by the Kerala PWD Minister was turned down by Union Surface Transport Minister Kamal Nath.

``Kamal Nath had told Minister P.J. Joseph and Principal Secretary Tom Jose that rules couldn’t be relaxed for Kerala alone,’’ said a source. On Wednesday, in New Delhi, a group of Kerala MPs met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and apprised him of the all-party decision. Singh told the MPs to meet Kamal Nath and convince him first.

In fact, NHAI chairman Brijeswar Singh, who attended the all-party meeting on Tuesday, categorically rejected the demand by political parties.

``You can build a road of 30-metre width, but it won’t be a National Highway. It will only be a state highway,’’ Singh sarcastically told the meeting. In his introductory speech, the chairman had tried to convince the participants about the necessity of 45-metre-wide NH in Kerala.

While all other states are constructing 60-metre highways on BOT basis, Kerala was allowed to go ahead with the 45-metre road considering the peculiar situation prevailing in the State. ``If the width is further reduced to 30 metre, the first casualty will be road safety,’’ Singh told the meeting.

http://expressbuzz.com/states/kerala...ed/167238.html
sachinrk no está en línea  
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:55 PM   #19
sanjupalayat
Calicut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinrk View Post
Article from Indian Express ( Apr 22nd) that all-party demand is likely to be rejected.

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The demand of the all-party meeting to restrict the width of NH-17 and NH-47 to 30-metres is likely to be rejected by the National Highways Authority of India and Surface Transport Ministry. Sources in the PWD told `Express’ that a similar demand when raised earlier by the Kerala PWD Minister was turned down by Union Surface Transport Minister Kamal Nath.

``Kamal Nath had told Minister P.J. Joseph and Principal Secretary Tom Jose that rules couldn’t be relaxed for Kerala alone,’’ said a source. On Wednesday, in New Delhi, a group of Kerala MPs met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and apprised him of the all-party decision. Singh told the MPs to meet Kamal Nath and convince him first.

In fact, NHAI chairman Brijeswar Singh, who attended the all-party meeting on Tuesday, categorically rejected the demand by political parties.

``You can build a road of 30-metre width, but it won’t be a National Highway. It will only be a state highway,’’ Singh sarcastically told the meeting. In his introductory speech, the chairman had tried to convince the participants about the necessity of 45-metre-wide NH in Kerala.

While all other states are constructing 60-metre highways on BOT basis, Kerala was allowed to go ahead with the 45-metre road considering the peculiar situation prevailing in the State. ``If the width is further reduced to 30 metre, the first casualty will be road safety,’’ Singh told the meeting.

Good to hear that news....so i think that make us clear regarding the confusion on NH Width.....
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:39 AM   #20
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Likes (Received): 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinrk View Post

45 metre width is mandatory for our roads. We should look at future also. It will be even more difficult to widen the road to 45 metres or even 30 metres after 20 years. So, we should not waste time. There is no gain without any pain. But the government should pay good compensation to those who are evicted from their land. We should respect their sentiments as they compromise on their property for our nation's development. They should get their land's worth and the government should make sure that they should not struggle in life because of this cause. That will resolve the issue.

Last edited by Reghu; May 2nd, 2010 at 08:45 AM.
Reghu está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: