daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Urban Transport

Old May 10th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else

Likes (Received): 51

#Cape Town Taxi By-Laws

By-law to get taxis to behave
By Ella Smook
Metro Writer

The City of Cape Town plans to introduce a new traffic by-law aimed at clamping down on minibus taxis to regulate their behaviour on the roads - from how loud they are allowed to play their music to rules governing passenger etiquette.

If passed, the 2010 Traffic By-law will prohibit taxis playing "offensive or excessively loud music"; smoking, obscene or offensive language; interfering with the comfort of any passenger; and committing "an offensive act".

It will also stop sick people using taxis. There is a stipulation that a taxi must be disinfected immediately after transporting passengers suffering from "an obvious infectious or contagious disease".

And nobody suffering from such a disease will be allowed to board a taxi.

Also, taxi guards will be forced to wear reflective bibs or jackets, display identification cards and refrain from touting.

The draft by-law will be discussed for the first time at a forthcoming Safety and Security Portfolio committee meeting, so it is not yet clear how the city intends enforcing many of the proposed regulations.

But committee chairwoman Carin Brynard said that while the city could currently not police the taxis, this could be rectified if the by-law were passed.

She said the new rules had been drafted in response to complaints received from residents.

Some people had said their hearing was affected by loud music emanating from taxis which, in some instances, was so thunderous that it caused the windows of shops and adjacent vehicles to reverberate, Brynard said.

She stressed that the by-law was still to be discussed in workshops that included representatives of all political parties.

Good manners could also be enforced: nobody will be allowed to board a taxi until everyone wishing to get off has done so and those waiting to board a taxi must form an orderly queue.

No taxis will be allowed to stop in any place not demarcated as a taxi stop.

In addition to these and other provisions aimed at regulating mini-bus taxi transport, there are many new regulations aimed at other road users, including pedestrians.

Jaywalking will be strictly prohibited, with pedestrians being obliged to cross public roads only at pedestrian crossings and intersections, or at a distance further than 50m from a crossing.

Pedestrians will also be forced to obey traffic light signals and be prohibited from endangering their or others' safety.

Hooters may only be used for safety reasons as provided for in law.

Driving on the shoulders of roads will also be prohibited, except during daylight hours when people and other vehicles are clearly visible at a distance of at least 150m.

Anyone convicted of contravening the by-law could be liable for a fine and imprisonment not exceeding three years.

It is also intended that punishment be escalated, so that habitual offenders receive progressively harsher fines.

• This article was originally published on page 1 of The Cape Argus on May 10, 2010

Published on the Web by IOL on 2010-05-10 11:33:00

© 1999 - 2010 Independent Online. All rights strictly reserved.
Independent Online is a wholly owned subsidiary of Independent News & Media. Reliance on the information this site contains is at your own risk.

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #2
kilps

Likes (Received): 0

What is the city doing about non-minibus taxis? On Saturday night the police seemed to be on some kind of mission against them along Rondebosch and Claremont main roads.

The city should be helping them to serve customers better, getting people to use these guys is key to solving the drinking and driving problem.
kilps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Urban Rambler
The man in the street

Likes (Received): 17

Ha! More unenforceable legislation. How will they prevent sick people from boarding taxis? Besides which, if they do the ANC will cry discrimination.
Urban Rambler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #4
Lydon

Likes (Received): 2106

Me likes!

Enforcing it will be a bitch, but even if I get to see one taxi nabbed for not complying in my life I'll be happy!
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #5
nsub_guy

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydon View Post
Me likes!

Enforcing it will be a bitch, but even if I get to see one taxi nabbed for not complying in my life I'll be happy!
I think its great, I know when I use to take a taxi back in the day, ok was way cheaper then using my car, petrol wise. But the was they play music, YOR, that BASS is so nasty it makes your heart bounce out of your chest. SJOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nsub_guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #6
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post

By-law to get taxis to behave
By Ella Smook
Metro Writer

...No taxis will be allowed to stop in any place not demarcated as a taxi stop.

Johannesburg proposed this in 2004 and it never came to life, instead documents were removed from the net. VIVA CT VIA, don't stand for nonsense.