search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #6101
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami High Rise View Post
The new one looks a little bigger, more boxy like old ones were, and I like the way the vertical stripes line up with the vent on the other two.
That is the best angle for the Bjarke one. From the North looking South, the Ingels design looks absolutely grotesque.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #6102
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2532

Yeah this is the flat side forward. The leaning towards or leaning away angles are strange.

Msradell liked this post
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 01:59 AM   #6103
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 4832

That gif is just a reminder of how underwhelming BIG's design is.

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 10:26 PM   #6104
Jay

Likes (Received): 1847

Maybe I'm in a minority but from some angles I actually like this building, it's massive and powerful looking like one of the original towers.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 10:52 PM   #6105
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2532

Yes it looks more massive, specifically not as graceful and delicate as the new 1 WTC, which could be good. The originals were specifically imposing.
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 12:29 AM   #6106
CharlesSwann

Likes (Received): 64

I would not be surprised if Foster's tower rises here. The design will be dictated by the tenant.
CharlesSwann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:54 PM   #6107
indu963

Likes (Received): 25

Still no date for a resumption of work?

Tupac96 liked this post
indu963 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 01:42 AM   #6108
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by indu963 View Post
Still no date for a resumption of work?
that because there is no tenants yet
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 02:50 AM   #6109
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 4832

I wonder how we all would have reacted if it had looked more like this without the stupid stacked cubes shape. I definitely prefer something like this, much less attention seeking and could even work in a way as a rendition to the old towers and their monolithic look. It's still less impressive than Foster's, but at least would look good.

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 05:06 PM   #6110
sodap0p53

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post
I wonder how we all would have reacted if it had looked more like this without the stupid stacked cubes shape. I definitely prefer something like this, much less attention seeking and could even work in a way as a rendition to the old towers and their monolithic look. It's still less impressive than Foster's, but at least would look good.
The only things that really upset me about the BIG design were those overhanging bits on the north face of the building. When you take those out, I think the design improves greatly, and fits in nicer with 3 and 4. I wouldn't be the most unhappy person in the world if somehow this was built instead of the current BIG design.

That being said, I'd still take foster's building any day over this. I fell in love with his 2 WTC over the years, and to see it get thrown out broke my heart.

artObserver liked this post
sodap0p53 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 05:25 PM   #6111
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodap0p53 View Post
The only things that really upset me about the BIG design were those overhanging bits on the north face of the building. When you take those out, I think the design improves greatly, and fits in nicer with 3 and 4. I wouldn't be the most unhappy person in the world if somehow this was built instead of the current BIG design.

That being said, I'd still take foster's building any day over this. I fell in love with his 2 WTC over the years, and to see it get thrown out broke my heart.
I think it would work better if the setbacks were wrapped similarly to the "Spiral" in Hudson Yards.

I don't necessarily even think this design is bad, just awkward. It just looks so "heavy."
Old March 27th, 2017, 02:48 AM   #6112
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 767

I was bored, so I started playing around in Sketchup to see just what one could do within the envelope of the base.

Not much, I've found...

You're welcome to download the .skb or .skp files here. I imported someone else's WTC model, but am at a loss just what one can really do with 2wtc.

Figured I'd see if anyone here wanted to give it a try - I suppose one can use the '2WTC Base' layer

Hudson11, schostabur liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 04:31 PM   #6113
TallestKidOnTheBlock

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post
Take notes developers!
TallestKidOnTheBlock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 08:19 PM   #6114
TheProdigySkylined

Likes (Received): 104

Whatever happens this needs an outside observation deck and a restaurant on top like the original WTC2
TheProdigySkylined no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 07:49 PM   #6115
BillyLoomis1982

Likes (Received): 37

NEW YORK | 2WTC - 200 Greenwich St. | 403m | 1323ft | 82 fl | On Hold

The original 2WTC had "only" the observation deck. The restaurant was located on the North Tower.

Also I don't think it would be very smart to put another observation deck on the tower practically next door. Guess it's a save bet to say that will never happen.

But it's kinda funny, since I had similar thoughts just this morning. I think it would be really cool, if the new 2WTC had a restaurant atop this time. So it would be reversed: 1WTC has the Observatory and 2WTC the restaurant.

Last edited by BillyLoomis1982; April 1st, 2017 at 10:25 AM.
BillyLoomis1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 08:30 PM   #6116
TheProdigySkylined

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyLoomis1982 View Post
The original 2WTC had "only" the observation deck. The restaurant was located on the North Tower.

Also I don't think it would be very smart to put another observation deck on the tower practically next door. Guess it's a save bet to say that will never happen.

But it's kinda funny, since I had simmilar thoughts just this morning. I think it would be really cool, if the new 2WTC had a restaurant atop this time. So it would be reversed: 1WTC has the Observatory and 2WTC the restaurant.
an outside observatory like the original would be a nice touch still
TheProdigySkylined no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #6117
goodybear

Likes (Received): 505

Technically 1WTC already contains a restaurant on top, but in no way does it compare to the original Windows on the World.
New restaurant (costs 32$ just to actually enter it as it is part of the observatory):

Old restaurant (entrance was free; highest grossing restaurant in the whole USA in the year 2000)

Not saying the new one is terrible but it would be great to see another Windows on the World opening in FOSTERS 2WTC (still can't wait to hear any new news on this project, why can't they find a tenant?). Every day I check this thread and it's disappointing to not hear any news.
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 11:59 AM   #6118
CharlesSwann

They can't find a tenant because in the past 3 years, Related has leased around 4m sf of space at cost. Once Related's towers are full, it had around 2m sf left, 2 WTC will get a tenant. Future, Silverstein has stated that the tenant will dictate whether Bjarke's design or Foster's will rise. If the tenant is a bank, count on the latter.
Old April 10th, 2017, 02:44 PM   #6119
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6505

Guys since the foundations for the very specific design of Norman Foster are already there, I'd say his design has more chances to see the light of day rather than anyone else's.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 03:04 PM   #6120
CharlesSwann

I agree. Also, Bjarke's design was specifically for NewsCorp. A bank will be the likely tenant, and it likely will opt for Foster's tower.

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center