daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area > Skyway Lounge

Skyway Lounge Discussions about the Tampa Bay area community.... news, nightlife, attractions, sports, events, etc.

Old November 9th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #1
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 6

Suit seeks eviction of Lucky Dill Deli

Suit seeks eviction of Lucky Dill Deli
Behind in rent and utility bills, the restaurant says business is slow.

By BRENDAN WATSON, Times Staff Writer

Published November 9, 2007

DOWNTOWN

Lucky Dill Deli's landlord has sued to evict the downtown restaurant, saying the deli owes $19,349.64 in unpaid rent and other expenses.

Mary Zavala, 21, one of the owners, said the restaurant fell behind in rent this summer.

"We don't get the same number of customers in the summer. A lot of people are away on vacation," said Zavala. "But even when we don't make the same amount of money, we have the same expenses."

Zavala, her husband, Cristian Zavala, 23, and her father, Paul de Vietien, purchased the deli at 400 N Tampa St. in June, assuming its lease under the business name University Oakwoods LLC. The Tampa deli is not affiliated with restaurants by the same name in Palm Harbor and St. Petersburg.

According to the lawsuit, Luck Dill didn't pay the full amount of the $6,600 per month rent for July or September, and paid no rent for October. Additionally, the deli owes money for electricity, maintenance and parking.

Mary Zavala said that she has reached an agreement with the landlord, PT Associates, to pay the outstanding expenses. The deli will have to borrow money, though it hadn't secured a loan as of Nov. 5, she said.

Randall P. Mueller, attorney for PT Associates, wouldn't comment because of the pending litigation. Colliers Arnold, PT Associates' property manager, also declined to comment. It was unclear early this week whether the deli paid its November rent or when the restaurant could be evicted if it didn't pay the past-due rent.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/11/09/Ci...iction_o.shtml

I wonder why they can't seem to bring in enough business? Has anyone here tried the place; and if so, is it any good?

A head buried in the sand cannot see the light of truth. g. lilly
Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 9th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #2
thehappysmith
Two-bit Hack

Likes (Received): 2

Interesting. I haven't been so I can't comment on the quality--although these folks have only owned the thing for a few months. News to me that it's unrelated to the other two Lucky Dills.
But, for whatever reason, I've eaten at the deli right across Madison St from Lucky Dill, the Loading Dock, oh, eight or ten times in the last couple of years. Never went into Lucky Dill. Can't say why, but perhaps I'm not alone.
thehappysmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #3
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 5

I didn't really like it much...
JBrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #4
randommichael

Lucky Dill has really gone down hill lately. I don't go there any more either, and don't know anyone from my office who does. I used to go once a week.
randommichael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #5
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 42

Sounds like we know why they are going away...
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #6
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 507

^Yep... My former company ordered from there about once a week or two until this summer. I really had no idea why we stopped going there since I always got the same thing (a Cuban. really hard to screw up), but I think I do now...

ps... Sounds to me like these people are in over their heads. They just bought the place, and have promptly driven it near bankruptcy in 5 months?
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #7
randommichael

I wouldn't mind seeing it go, as long as something really awesome replaces it quickly. Its a good corner to be on I think.
Old November 10th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #8
Jasonhouse

Certainly not a bad corner.
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #9
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 593

I'd say that's pretty bad management for a business to go downhill like that in such a short period of time.
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
HARTride 2012 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #10
Jasonhouse

And it's not like adjacent towers lost a ton of tenants or something either. DT vacancy is down... Did something else open? Not that I can think of.
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #11
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
Old November 13th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #12
randommichael

Several things have opened up along Franklin St. I know when we go out to eat in our office, we go to Malio's or Franklin St now. Lucky Dill just isn't worth it anymore.
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #13
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 42

I went to Loading Dock yesterday, which is right across the street from Lucky Dill. Really tasty.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #14
tommyduncn
tommyduncn

Likes (Received): 0

Ownership gives a clue

The prices went up a bit, the portions went down a bit, and the quality remained the same (average).

Take a look at the article. It says the owners are a married couple age 21 and 23. (There is a photo of them on http://luckydilltampa.com/about.html ) I'm not saying there is anything wrong with young folks owning a business, but if you grabbed a dozen groups of people this age, and put them each in charge of a huge (it's gotta be 6000 sq. ft.) restaurant, I'm not sure 2 of them would succeed.

Tampa is...
Sticks of Fire.
http://sticksoffire.com
tommyduncn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #15
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

That is quite interesting Tommy.