daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:02 PM   #61
shotsy

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgFan View Post
Wasn't 2nd and Pike supposed to start this year too? Maybe UV should focus on getting that project off the ground first before they start working on other proposals.
This project has been in the works for years.
shotsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:34 PM   #62
horatio_the_hermit

Likes (Received): 7

While I completely understand ragging on UV for talking large and accomplishing little, it looks like this one actually has a bit of momentum and can potentially get done. They are legitimately going out to the market for an equity partner (not sure what that blurb from Smith about not seeking a partner is all about). Not to say that's necessarily the mark of a project ready to break ground, but its significantly farther than they've gotten on any of their other projects. Furthermore, if they can keep their land basis down (cheaper neighborhood) and hard/soft costs down (mid rise, simple design), the thing might pencil.

Last edited by horatio_the_hermit; May 2nd, 2014 at 10:44 PM.
horatio_the_hermit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #63
DawgFan

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotsy View Post
This project has been in the works for years.
Yes I know, what I meant was that instead of trying to get multiple projects off the ground at the same time they should focus on just one. Both this project and 2nd & Pike have been on the drawing boards for over a decade and still not a single shovel has been placed into the ground.
DawgFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 03:47 AM   #64
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Might as well do the Weyerhauser bump.
Old August 27th, 2014, 03:57 AM   #65
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 495

Ha. From the first post in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
DJC-

"Developer Greg Smith said the city should consider putting a garage under Occidental Park to replace some of Pioneer Square's dwindling parking supply."

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12034496.html
Oh Smith. I'm glad he's come around. The actual project will have 68 parking spaces for 800 employees. This is a major sustainability win - a company that at one time would clear cut now produces FSC wood. They've moved from their LEED certified but sprawl inducing suburban campus to the best transit node in the state, and all but removed cars as a commute option.
Matt the Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 04:21 AM   #66
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 160

Exciting news! I just wish they were anchoring something bigger than a 7 story building...
bgwah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #67
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 174

Did urban visions announce a sale of the site? We have to be careful here or this may very well open up a black hole....
Old August 27th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #68
DawgFan

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Did urban visions announce a sale of the site? We have to be careful here or this may very well open up a black hole....
I know, right? Now that they have a tenant signed they have no more excuses for not moving forward with their visions.

Is this project still going to include a maintenance facility for the waterfront street car?
DawgFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #69
Vashon118
Bus & ferry dude

Likes (Received): 602

Quote:
Is this project still going to include a maintenance facility for the waterfront street car?
As far as I know, the maintenance facility was dropped from the project.
Vashon118 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #70
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon118 View Post
As far as I know, the maintenance facility was dropped from the project.
I looked back at earlier pages of this thread. Car barn--LOL. As far as I know, there are no plans to bring back the waterfront streetcar. As for the First Hill line, the maintenance area is off the main line via a stub track, I think along 8th Avenue S, to its location between S. Dearborn and S. Charles Streets. It's a secure area--I couldn't get close to take pictures. As to 200 Occidental South, it's a great project if only to rid our cityscape of that hideous parking lot right next to Occidental Square.
Old August 29th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #71
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 1080

From Wednesday's DJC.

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12069235.html

August 27, 2014

Weyerhaeuser moving HQ to Pioneer Square
By JOURNAL STAFF

Weyerhaeuser Co. is moving its headquarters from Federal Way to Pioneer Square.

Weyerhaeuser said yesterday it will move into 200 Occidental, a seven-story being planned by Urban Visions for a site near Occidental Park. The building will have 165,000 square feet of office space.

Documents on file with the city say there will be parking for 68 vehicles in an undground garage.

The timber company will move in mid to late 2016, after 200 Occidental is complete.

A spokesman for Weyerhaeuser said the company will fill all the space in 200 Occidental and have 800 employees working there.

Mithun is designing 200 Occidental.

Greg Smith, founder and CEO of Urban Visions, did not return a phone call requesting comment.

Doyle R. Simons, president and CEO of Weyerhaeuser, said in a press release that the 430-acre campus in Federal Way is more space than Weyerhaeuser needs. Moving its headquarters to Seattle will help the company compete for talent now and in the future, Simons said.

Weyerhaeuser plans to sell the land and buildings it owns in Federal Way.

Heartland LLC represented Weyerhaeuser on the relocation, and will also work on selling the company's Federal Way space.

The campus contains approximately 750,000 square feet of office, research, and industrial space on more than 400 acres.

The Weyerhaeuser move is major win for Pioneer Square. The neighborhood has reinvented itself in recent years with trendy new restaurants and tech companies taking office space. The office vacancy rate is 11.09 percent, according to officespace.com.

Weyerhaeuser says it is one of the world's largest private owners of timberland and employs 13,000 people worldwide. It opened more than 110 years ago with an office in Tacoma.

Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #72
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 940

I know they've been downsizing significantly over the years, but to go from 475,000 sq. ft. to 165,000 sq. ft. is quite the downsizing of space. I wonder how vacant their current offices are.
Old August 29th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #73
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
I know they've been downsizing significantly over the years, but to go from 475,000 sq. ft. to 165,000 sq. ft. is quite the downsizing of space. I wonder how vacant their current offices are.
That is not very much space for 800 employees. They're going to be packed in like sardines via some open office concept, presumably.
bgwah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #74
SJM

Likes (Received): 50

Love that we're getting more presence downtown, but their HQ now is such an icon.

cadre liked this post
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote