daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > The Economy, Industry and Development Issues

The Economy, Industry and Development Issues Current news and events with regards to the economy, industry and urban development issues

Old April 21st, 2006, 04:19 AM   #1
chixbebe

Likes (Received): 0

National ID Cards, Passports, and other forms of Official Identification

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?...1_april21_2006

Quote:
PRESIDENT Gloria Macapagal Arroyo yesterday ordered the national ID system implemented immediately and its guidelines drafted quickly after the Supreme Court upheld its constitutionality on Wednesday.

Presidential chief of staff Michael Defensor said the guidelines might be released within the month or before May 15 at the latest.

The government plans to launch the national ID system initially in three government agencies: the National Economic and Development Authority, the Philippine Health Insurance Corp., and the National Statistics Office.

The Department of Interior and Local Government and two senators welcomed the national ID system, but a party-list representative slammed it.

“People should [not be afraid] that their privacy will be invaded should the ID system be enforced,” Interior Secretary Ronaldo Puno said.
“It will make it easier for the police to track down criminals.”

“The enlightened ruling and decision of the Supreme Court proves to everyone that they are still independent of Malacañang,” Senator Manuel Villar said.

“The people’s trust and confidence in the judiciary will surely be reinforced because of this.”

“The constitutionality of a unified ID is welcome news to people who are aware that IDs guarantee benefits to the holder,” Senator Ralph Recto said.
“Those are what matter to holders of any ID, be they workers in government, factories or the self-employed.”

But Bayan Muna Rep. Teddy Casiño said he and his group would file a motion questioning the Supreme Court action affirming the legality of Executive Order 420, which prescribes the national ID system.

“Had they heard our arguments [against the ID system], I’m sure the Supreme Court would have had a different outlook,” Casiño said.
But Presidential Spokesman Ignacio Bunye said Filipinos had nothing to worry about the ID system.

“President Arroyo has given the go-signal to the Cabinet to get the ID system on track for immediate implementation,” he said.

“Issues averting to infringement of human rights are phantom fears. The system has enough safeguards to protect the citizens from imagined violations of their right to privacy.”

Bunye said the ID system would complement the government campaign against terrorism particularly in the south, where the Jemaah Islamiyah terrorist network is said to be operating.

“Every strong and progressive nation has a national ID system in one form or another,” Bunye said.

“We appreciate the Supreme Court decision not only for its contribution to national security but its effect in facilitating the delivery of vital government programs as well.”

But Economic Planning Secretary Romulo Neri said there was no budget yet for the ID system.

“Eventually, if it’s really a good system, then that’s the time we spend and ask for a budget,” he said.

He said the government was expecting a decision from Spain to grant a request for about P31 million in grants to finance a pilot ID system. Joyce Pangco Pañares, Michael Caber, Roy Pelovello, Macon Ramos Araneta, Fel V. Maragay
chixbebe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 21st, 2006, 06:39 AM   #2
TJ
radiosilence

my god it's the 666 id sysytem code... LOL hail satan!!!!! nyahaha
Old April 21st, 2006, 08:34 AM   #3
beads_strawberries

I believe there's nothing wrong about it. It has been declared constitutional according to the Supreme Court. As a matter of fact, the court states that the information given in the said identification card does not curtail any constitutional rights and freedom of the people.

I am for the unified ID system for qualified identification purposes so as to deter crimes as well as to facilitate a faster delivery of services on public transactions.
beads_strawberries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:48 AM   #4
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

Likes (Received): 154

yep I agree to with a national ID system
pau_p1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:08 PM   #5
heathcliff

The National ID system will facilitate the delivery of basic services and help combat crime and terrorism. Anyway, there's no information that will be gathered that isn't already with the government. The ID will merely integrate the info found in government ID's like SSS, GSIS, TIN, etc. It will definitely be more convenient than having to lug many separate ID's around.
heathcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:10 PM   #6
JustHorace
Athenaei Manilani Curator

Likes (Received): 97

Yup, this'll make our lives easier. And besides, I'm so excited about how the ID would actually look like.
JustHorace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:39 PM   #7
xDieselJockx

Lacson pulls surprise, backs Arroyo on ID plan

President Arroyo on Friday got the support she wanted for the "harmonized ID system" not from one of her allies but from Sen. Panfilo Lacson, a man known to have been spearheading calls for her resignation.

"This is one effort that deserves our full support. I have been advocating such a program even when I headed the Philippine National Police (PNP) and I filed a bill for such a national ID system as early as 2004," he said in a statement. The senator, however, said safeguards should be in place.

Lacson said the project could improve efficiency in the bureaucracy though the proper safeguards should be institutionalized first.

In 2004 Lacson filed Senate Bill 833 for the National Reference Card System Act. The bill aims to provide one single code to each citizen at birth and a reference card carrying their number and other vital information when they start participating actively in society.

He said that other countries, including those with democratic form of government such as Brazil, German and Italy, have a national reference system.

The senator, a former PNP chief, said the increase in criminality and "continuing challenge of terrorism" have rendered the need for a national identification system urgent. He said an ID system should help facilitate the apprehension and prosecution of those who violate the law.

Lacson's defense of the "harmonized ID system," set for introduction by October, came in the wake of criticisms that the project could invade the privacy of citizens, a claim dismissed by its proponents.

"The information that would be available in the harmonized ID system already exists in the driver's license like the name, date of birth, place of birth, residence and the thumb print," Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Romulo Neri said in a DZMM interview Friday.
xDieselJockx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 03:09 PM   #8
TJ
radiosilence

This is indeed good... actually during the 2004 elections they said they were going to give id's to those who will vote. I went in line at the down town bay center and they took pictures all of the people i know 18 up went there. But sadly only a very few of my family member cousins, friends and relatives got the i.d. that they were suppose to deliver and its has been 2 years and most of us still don't have it.
Old April 21st, 2006, 03:12 PM   #9
JustHorace
Athenaei Manilani Curator

Likes (Received): 97

That was definitely not the same ID as the one we're talking about here.
JustHorace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 03:27 PM   #10
TJ
radiosilence

yeah i know what im saying is baka ganun din yung manyari katulad nung dati na hindi nila nabigay samin yung ID namin.
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:23 PM   #11
KulasKusgan
Rebirth of a Dragon

Likes (Received): 27

ok lang basta magagamit din as e-card, credit card, driver's license, sss, gsis, pag-ibig, pangswipe sa mga tollgates, sa mrt, sa jeep, as phonecard, etc.

baka naman ang kinalabasan kartolina lang at kelangan pang ilaminate. hehe.
Old April 21st, 2006, 06:04 PM   #12
philwily
pirate

Is that the way it will work? The ID will also work as an ID for the different agencies?
Old April 21st, 2006, 06:16 PM   #13
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 193

National IDs out this year
By Roderick T. dela Cruz

The government will start issuing “harmonized” ID cards that will be recognized by all public agencies by the third quarter, following a Supreme Court ruling that upheld their legality.

Malacañang has given the National Economic and Development Authority 30 days to draw up the mechanics for the harmonized ID system based on Executive Order 420.

In a radio interview with radio dzMM, Economic Planning Secretary and Neda director general Romulo Neri said the Philippine Health Insurance Corp. will be the first to issue the new ID, which will contain personal information that is already captured in the driver’s license.

Addressing privacy concerns, Neri said the harmonized ID will not include sensitive information and said EO 420 contains enough safeguards against encroachment into personal information.

Administration allies in the House of Representatives, meanwhile, said they are inclined to legislate a national ID that would cover not only government personnel but the general public, too. Bayan Muna Rep. Satur Ocampo, however, warned that such an ID could be used to track and crush legitimate opposition.

On the other hand, an outspoken critic of President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, Senator Panfilo Lacson, supported the government’s plan to use a unified ID.

“This is one effort that deserves our full support,” said Lacson, who used to be the national police chief. “I have been advocating such a program ever since, when I headed the PNP [Philippine National Police], and I filed a bill for such a national ID system as early as 2004,” Lacson said.

National Security Adviser Norberto Gonzales, for his part, said the recent Supreme Court ruling should pave the way for the enactment of a law mandating the issuance of a single, computerized ID to all Filipinos.

“What the high tribunal approved is not even a national ID system, since it covers only government personnel. It’s time for the Philippines to follow the example of developed countries by junking the antiquated system of issuing [multiple] identification cards,” he said.

The Armed Forces, too, said a national ID system would help the government in its antiterrorism campaign.

Neda had issued implementing rules on EO 420 as early as July 2005, but the ID program stalled when opposition lawmakers and privacy advocates challenged its constitutionality before the Supreme Court.

The rules prescribe that all government agencies and government-owned and -controlled corporations issuing ID cards should be covered by the unified ID system.

The new ID card will contain three types of data: basic information that includes the name, date and place of birth, name of parents and sex; biometric data including a photo, signature and finger prints; and other data including home address, marital status, height, weight, prominent distinguishing features and the tax identification number.
Old April 21st, 2006, 08:49 PM   #14
ramvingar
Taipan in the making

Definitely a good idea as you guys have already pointed out. I believe one major criticism before was that it would trample on people's rights. I don't really see how it can.
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:17 PM   #15
Jimbu

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker_uno
ok lang basta magagamit din as e-card, credit card, driver's license, sss, gsis, pag-ibig, pangswipe sa mga tollgates, sa mrt, sa jeep, as phonecard, etc.

baka naman ang kinalabasan kartolina lang at kelangan pang ilaminate. hehe.
I don't think it can be used as a driver's license. an authority to drive with certain period to renew, type of license and vehicle categories masyado na marami ang entries sa id. isa pa paano kapag magka traffic violation dapat huwag nila kunin.
Jimbu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:20 PM   #16
Jimbu

Likes (Received): 132

Search is on for best ID system database
By Sam Mediavilla, Reporter

For Press Secretary Ignacio Bunye, the database of the Government Service and Insurance System would be a good start in setting up a national identification system.

But National Economic and Development Authority Director General Romulo Neri believes the database of the National Statistics Office (NSO) is a better takeoff point.

Palace officials continued to differ Friday over what information directory will work best for the national ID plan, even as Sen. Panfilo Lacson, a staunch critic of the Arroyo administration, gave the system the thumbs up.

Discussion about the ID system has been revived after the Supreme Court declared constitutional the national identification system proposed by the Arroyo administration.

Bunye explained that the GSIS’s database could be the base for all other IDs.

But in a radio interview, Neri said he’s inclined to tap the most expensive and comprehensive database in the country, that of the NSO.

Go-ahead

Bunye said the government could not give a timetable when the unified ID system would take effect, “but it’s clear that the go-signal from the Supreme Court will enable us to go ahead with whatever the executive department was planning much earlier.”

Neri said immediate and automatic candidates for the unified ID are employees of the NEDA, NSO and PhilHealth members.

He said the ID system would be operational by September or October.

Neri dismissed allegations that the implementation of a unified ID system could lead to human-rights violations.

“It’s not true. It’s not even a requirement. That is why we do not need legislation,” he said.

Bunye said that once the plan gains wider acceptance it could be carried out “on a much bigger scale. But first we must have to acquire experience on a one-ID system because it would be very beneficial to us.”

Crossing party lines, Lacson said a properly implemented ID scheme will stop crime and terrorism and boost efforts to simplify transactions with citizens.

Lacson backs the ID

Lacson, who has backed the ID system since he headed the Philippine National Police, said that proper safeguards in place would ensure the program would greatly improve efficiency in the bureaucracy.

“This is one effort that deserves our full support. I have been advocating such a program even when I headed the PNP, and I filed a bill for a national ID system as early as 2004,” he said.

Many democratic countries including Brazil, Germany and Italy have a national reference system.

Lacson filed Senate Bill 833, the National Reference Card System Act of 2004, which aims to provide one single code to each citizen at birth and a reference card carrying the number of citizens and other vital information when they participate actively in society.

He noted that big “leaps in criminality and the continuing challenge of terrorism have rendered the need for a national identification system urgent.”

The card, which shall contain security features, contains the bearer’s name, address, blood type and next of kin.

The bill limits the number of persons who have access to the data on the card, which will be the only official identification of the bearer in dealing with government agencies and applying for a driver’s license, passport, marriage license, death certificate and business permits.

Persons will be subjected to the usual rigorous identification and verification if they fail to present their cards, but they will not be denied any of the basic services.

Penalties

Those found faking information on the card face imprisonment for up to six years.

Those who refuse to accept, acknowledge or recognize the card face a six-month prison term. Those involved in the authorized disclosure of data will be fined P50,000.
--With Patricia Esteves
Jimbu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 03:17 AM   #17
bitoy
The Great Northwest

Likes (Received): 200

I agree with the National ID system just like the DMV State ID here in the US. Will this eliminate the Jose Pidals, Jose Velardes and all aliases for business transactions?

That will be better than the futuristic micro-electronic identity implants to each person that some countries are considering.
bitoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #18
sandrn
BANNED

Philippine National Identification Card

It's almost 2007. Does anybody know when the Philippine National ID will be implemented. Is the Senate doing it's job?
Any update on this?!
sandrn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #19
TheAvenger
Guardian Angel

Likes (Received): 225

If the National ID system will be used to make the business transactions with the government
offices faster and efficient then that is a good project.

Since that mentioned ID is an electronic card then all personal informations can be put electronically in that ID. And with the new technology, I am sure when you use that ID to a machine card reader then I suppose a central office will notice that that card was used in that locality.

Then that ID is also nice for tracking terrorist and enemy of the state.

But then look at this scenario : Suppose you are an honest to goodness nationalistic citizen and because of your vocal views about a political issue a government office branded you as a person to watch or a subversive person.

With the mentioned National ID system any one can be tracked easily, so the opposition party, human right groups, nationalist and other groups opposes the implementation of that ID system since it will violates their privacy and their human rights.
TheAvenger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #20
Rajah_Soliman
时间致富 與被愛

Likes (Received): 85

imo, don't you worry, you haven't reached that point yet ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by emesber View Post
But then look at this scenario : Suppose you are an honest to goodness nationalistic citizen and because of your vocal views about a political issue a government office branded you as a person to watch or a subversive person.