daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > General European discussions > Projects and Construction > Commieblocks Fan Club

Old December 27th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #1
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 4

Please Tell Me

Why would any of you prefer an apartment in a commie block, to a house and property??? i think it is is disgusting making humans live inside a few walls amongst everyone else. I lived in russia for 6 years, so i can say i've experience both sides, i hated every minute living in a commieblock.

What do u like about them so much?

Sponsored Links

Old December 27th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #2
Blok
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Why would any of you prefer an apartment in a commie block, to a house and property??? i think it is is disgusting making humans live inside a few walls amongst everyone else.
In europe most people live in apartments amongst everyone else not really matter commieblock or not if you dont like it maybe it's time to go back to australia

Commies are definitelly more interesting then srawl and more human friendly,at least I don't nead a car to live and the view from the window is awesome
Blok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #3
xAKxRUSx

Likes (Received): 1340

Well first of all, I don't like sprawl.
Second of all, you're living inside a few walls everywhere... thats what shelter is.
Third of all, even in the suburbs you have another window a meter away from you, so its almost the same "amongst everyone else." To get rid of this, you'd have to live in the country all by yourself. And that is too lonely.

I like the liveliness and the bustle of the city.
xAKxRUSx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #4
echo
commieblock enthusiast

Likes (Received): 8

I like to watch them because thay are so massive and brutal, depends on model of course... Even if thay are not so massive, then the large number of them makes tha area nice. Like a repetitive pattern or a repetitive techno-music. And I like repetitive things: music, patterns.

Mathematics is my hobby and commieblocks seem to be in better order and better form than houses with each one different. I like that better order.

But I like to live in one (and I live!) because of all what I said before and in addition, I don't have to buy wood to keep rooms warm in winter, I don't have to heat the oven (I've done that when I lived not in a commieblock and it is like a hook that keeps me too much connected with my apartment and takes too much time and makes discomfort anyway), and I have hot water in washbasins without problems and I don't have to worry about that. Thank God I have quite silent neighbours, that makes the whole thing even much more better!

I don't want to have my own house or car --- too many things that bind me with troubles. The simpler I can live and the less I can own, the better.

And of course I agree with xAKxRUSx in everything. I like that cities have lots of cars (in Tallinn there are already too many of them, as many worry), big crossroads with heavy traffic, bustle...

Last edited by echo; December 31st, 2006 at 08:02 PM.
echo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 08:54 AM   #5
Sideshow_Bob
\m/

Likes (Received): 6

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud_Melburnian View Post
i think it is is disgusting making humans live inside a few walls amongst everyone else.
Everyone doesn't have a choice you know.
And people are different.
Old January 1st, 2007, 09:39 PM   #6
MIMICA

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiescraperman View Post
Why would any of you prefer an apartment in a commie block, to a house and property??? i think it is is disgusting making humans live inside a few walls amongst everyone else. I lived in russia for 6 years, so i can say i've experience both sides, i hated every minute living in a commieblock.

What do u like about them so much?
I suppose u never grew up living in an apartment, so u might be slightly claustrophobic. Personally, I'm a fan of protecting the environment, so sprawl is my enemy.
MIMICA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:25 AM   #7
JimmiG

The scale and size of commbieblocks doesn't bother me much. Some are a little boring on the outside, others are quite interesting. Taller ones (8 storeys and higher) look quite impressive indeed and the view from the higher floors is excellent...you don't get those views from your average suburban house...

I'll probably live in an apartment all my life. I may get a tenant-ownership apartment at some point but I doubt I'll ever move to a house.

A few reasons why I live in a commieblock

-I don't have to worry about anything. If I have a problem, I report it using a web form and it's fixed within a day or two. I get heating and hot water automatically. In about two months, they'll replace all the floors in my apartment with proper parquet flooring, as the old ones are brown plastic and quite worn... again, I don't have to worry about it.

-Because many people live in each housing area, public transportation is excellent. A bus leaves for downtown every 10 minutes, no need to take the car and spend 30 minutes looking for a parking space.

-For the same reason as above, there are quite a few shops conveniently located a 5 minute walk from my home.

-Many commieblock suburbs are located near recreational areas with football fields, trails etc. Still, it typically only takes 10 - 20 minutes by bus, tram or subway (depending on your city) to get to the city center. It's like living in the countryside but with all the conveniences of living in the city.

-More environmental friendly (less energy used for heating, less driving etc.)

-If I'm sitting alone and bored on a friday night, I can just bring a bottle of Absolut and knock on one of my neighbour's doors.. There's always a party and my neighbours are friendly (as long as you contribute with some alcohol) :-)
JimmiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #8
Marek.kvackaj

Likes (Received): 7

living in commie blocks

I lived in commie blocks since I was 3years old
I like them cose around you have many friends, in distance of few metres living almost all your friends or classmates
than in flat is hotter not like in houses
you dont have care about flat like you have care in house..heating, garden etc
Marek.kvackaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #9
xAKxRUSx

@JimmiG

I think you summarized it pretty well.
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #10
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 35

But why commie blocks? There are much more attractive apartment buildings with nice facades. I was raised in Old apartments and they are very convenient. Nothing agianst people that live in commieblocks, but you can get the same kind of convenience in an Old apartment building(if its maintained). And not all houses have to have a car, Some people have single family homes or townhomes and just walk places(like Boston.)
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #11
Blok
BANNED

Not everyone can live in old apartment and iven if it's well maintained there could be some disadvantages like lack of sun light
ofcourse there are modern apartment houses as well but its not that much of a difference if commie is well maintained and usually commieblock districts have better planning more greanary etc. at least in post communist countries...
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #12
Unionstation13

But they lack character, and the commieblocks in downtown areas deface, and insult a cities history. But that apartment building looks so much more welcoming, and homey.
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #13
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 83

Don't judge the interiors by the outward appearance!

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for fuck's sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #14
Blok
BANNED

There are many kinds of commies not only simple boxes maybe their simple but they that doesnt mean their dont have charakter and as I said not everyone can live in old buildings maybe you just dont like modern architecture...
Quote:
But that apartment building looks so much more welcoming, and homey.
but living there is different than just looking at it, some lower floors have almost no sun light.Many old buildings have other disadvantages like no elavators, sometimes lack of hot water etc.

Last edited by Blok; March 16th, 2007 at 10:52 PM.
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #15
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blok View Post
There are many kinds of commies not only simple boxes maybe their simple but they that doesnt mean their dont have charakter and as I said not everyone can live in old buildings maybe you just dont like modern architecture...

but living there is different than just looking at it, some lower floors have almost no sun light.Many old buildings have other disadvantages like no elavators, sometimes lack of hot water etc.
I like post modern and art modern architecture. But, older buildings I have lived in have massive large windows, becuase when they were built, that was the only source of light. Older buildings I have lived in dont neccarely look like that, I am talking about the victorian buildings. With large fancy windows, high ceilings, massive doorways. My idea of an older building is much different.
but, I would much prefer older apartment buildings,
I like craftsmanship, history, I could never live in a commie block,
I live in Indiana, where almost all of the city apartment buildings are from the early 20th century,
so it may have been I just was raised around older buildings.
Old March 29th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #16
Blok
BANNED

Quote:
I like craftsmanship, history, I could never live in a commie block,
Quote:
I live in Indiana, where almost all of the city apartment buildings are from the early 20th century,
so it may have been I just was raised around older buildings.
Same with me... living in commieblock district all my life but I can't agree with you... commieblocks have history.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:22 AM   #17
xAKxRUSx

They have history.

And you can be so creative inside with your apartment (granted same is true for other apartments).
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:56 AM   #18
Assurbanipal
Fallout Believer

Likes (Received): 88

Commieblocks, or highrises, for me are far superior in compare with one-family dwellings or terrace houses.
Reasons:
- shorter commute time, especially when public transport is well developed
- possibility of saving space, which can be used on creating anything usefull for entertaiment, resting (i.e parks, swimming pools).
- saving energy (heating is more efficient o=in case of highrisies)
- saving materials (higher ratio of usable space in highrises, less materials has to be used for constructing the same amount of living space in case of highrisies)
- more job offers in your direct neighberhood
- lower prices of flats than houses - due to savings mentioned above and more efficient use of land
Assurbanipal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM   #19
JimmiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
But why commie blocks? There are much more attractive apartment buildings with nice facades. I was raised in Old apartments and they are very convenient. Nothing agianst people that live in commieblocks, but you can get the same kind of convenience in an Old apartment building(if its maintained). And not all houses have to have a car, Some people have single family homes or townhomes and just walk places(like Boston.)
Well, at least in Sweden, all the older apartment buildings are located in the inner city. When they originally built commieblocks it was because the standard in those old buildings was very poor. The apartments were cold, draughty, cramped etc. Sometimes you had to go down to the basement to have a shower. The new commieblocks were very comfortable, modern and roomy. The areas were well planned, with lots of green parks, and the houses were placed for maximum sunlight whenever possible (http://www.aliciapatterson.org/APF00.../Downie10.html).

This has changed now as inner city apartments have been renovated and are some of the most expensive in the country, while many suburban neighborhoods have had social problems. It's completely the oposite of the US, where the inner city has the most social problems, and the suburbs are most wealthy.

You could probably buy 10 houses outside a small Swedish town, for the price of one downtown apartment. So price is a major reason against living in one of those.

Even if you could afford it, there are other disadvantages. The planning is still poor, the houses are close together, not much sunlight, not alot of green spaces, lots of pollution and noise from the traffic. Generally, I find downtown apartment buildings and their surroundings depressing. If I was very rich, I'd rather live in Täby than downtown Stockholm.
JimmiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:02 AM   #20
♣628.finst
Optimum

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
And I like repetitive things: music, patterns.

Mathematics is my hobby and commieblocks seem to be in better order and better form than houses with each one different. I like that better order.

But I like to live in one (and I live!) because of all what I said before and in addition, I don't have to buy wood to keep rooms warm in winter, I don't have to heat the oven
I grew up in rural Canada, and I do understand the advantage of living in apartments over houses. When I was a child, the heating of my house was supplied by kerosene, which is arguably even worse than wood fuel in Estonia. Of course, we have lots of wood supply there, but most of them were used for paper manufacturing. (In that part of Canada, the average wage is much higher than Estonia, but the living standard should be just slightly better than Estonia throughout the 1970s)

Later on, I moved to a house in the outer part (not the suburb) of the city of Winnipeg. That isn't much better for me, but it was a great surprise at first. Heating is easily available, and the transport is excellent. Everything seems to be in good shape. Nevertheless, the neighbourhood is quite depressing. There are lots of crimes and graffiti in the neighbourhoods, especially towards the 1990s. Afterwards, I had lived in other cities in Canada, e.g. Regina, Edmonton, Thompson and Saskatoon. I later worked in those cities, and I get used to it. Until around 2005 I still consider living in such poorly planned urban areas decent.

Later I realised that virtually all major Eastern European cities have much better public transport system than ours. The largest ones have really massive commieblock neighbourhoods, with a metro system connecting to the downtown. When we look at Edmonton, there is only a LRT system for a 1 mio city + the bad service of ETS bus system (Edmonton Transit). We had trolleybuses, but they gradually became obsolete.

In Prague, they have 3 metro lines and extensive bus, trolleybus and tram systems throughout the city, with a population just around 1.5 million.

Back in North America, we continued to expand our urban sprawls in every cities. Houston and LA ranked amongst the least energy efficient city in the world nowadays, with many North American cities come close.

In Hong Kong, most of the population do want to live in sprawls, but the small available land boost the price too much, therefore most of them living in highrises and commie-like structures instead. Nevertheless, in this way they are using their urban space more efficiently.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: