daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2016, 11:06 PM   #13301
FlyingHollander

Likes (Received): 17

Am I the only one that finds it peculiar that Brabant has such a high percentage of roads with a vmax of 130?

Some of these stretches are very busy (for having only two lanes in each direction) and see a ton of (slow) truck traffic. Aren't there still plenty of roads that are just as suitable as these?
FlyingHollander no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2016, 09:11 PM   #13302
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 11351

The 'asphalt gauge' that records how many kilometers of new lanes were added during the current administration. 102 km is still under construction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
• highway photography @
and

EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #13303
ChrisZwolle
Road user

accidents

The Verkeersinformatiedienst VID, Traffic Information Service, published some statistics regarding traffic accidents per km.

Accidents per kilometer motorway:

The highest incident rate is on A2 at the Empel motorway interchange near 's-Hertogenbosch, where 151 accidents occurred. I'm guessing this is the northbound direction, where there is a relatively short and very busy taper merge to fit onto the Meuse River Bridge.

The fastest-growing accident rate is the split setup of A4 near Leiden. The amount of accidents doubled in 2015 compared to 2014. This project is considered the worst designed in the Netherlands in terms of safety and congestion relief. Traffic was actually safer and less congested during road works than after it was completed.

Rotterdam has 3 of the top 5 accident-prone motorways.

Despite all the vocal opposition to the 130 km/h speed limit and traffic safety, the unsafest motorways have the fewest stretches (or none at all) with a 130 km/h speed limit.

• highway photography @
and

EPA001, EasySeven liked this post
Old February 12th, 2016, 05:41 PM   #13304
ChrisZwolle
Road user

traffic congestion

Some statistics regarding the development of traffic congestion in 2015.

1. The index of traffic congestion (red) and traveled kilometers (blue)

2. Traffic jam length by time of day and years

3. Traffic jam development (millions of kilometer-minutes)

4. Traveled kilometers (on motorway network only)

• highway photography @
and

keokiracer, Turf, Luki_SL, EPA001, snowdog liked this post
Old February 14th, 2016, 10:28 AM   #13305
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1 Muiden

Aquaduct Vechtzicht under construction at Muiden, just east of Amsterdam. There will be 12 lanes through here.

• highway photography @
and

EPA001, SRC_100 liked this post
Old February 14th, 2016, 05:37 PM   #13306
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rotterdam

Rotterdam plans to construct two more bridges across the Meuse / Maas River for local traffic and transit. The last new bridge was built 20 years ago (Erasmus Bridge).

Erasmus Bridge (1996):

• highway photography @
and

SRC_100, EPA001 liked this post
Old February 14th, 2016, 06:47 PM   #13307
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 83

While in theory great news, if you listen more to the new mobility plans they are actually disastrous for the motorist.

They still portray Rotterdam as car friendly and wide roads. Which is not the case since the mid 90's... The roads are actually way to narrow for the demand and car owners are bullied and forced to cough up a lot of money. It's basically a big FY to people who actually want to go from A to B as quickly as possible.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 06:59 PM   #13308
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rotterdam has more four-lane roads in the core area than Amsterdam or Utrecht. But that's not difficult since these cities have almost no such roads. It's perceived as a 'car city' compared to Amsterdam, Utrecht and maybe even The Hague, but compared to most European cities Rotterdam is not overly car-centric. There are no expressways or elevated highways in the city core. All motorways were built as greenfield developments around the city (even A20!). Only 300 meters of A13 in Overschie was originally fronted by houses.

A famous Rotterdam icon:

By De Fotograaf

• highway photography @
and

EPA001 liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; February 14th, 2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old February 14th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #13309
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Rotterdam has more four-lane roads in the core area than Amsterdam or Utrecht. But that's not difficult since these cities have almost no such roads. It's perceived as a 'car city' compared to Amsterdam, Utrecht and maybe even The Hague, but compared to most European cities Rotterdam is not overly car-centric. There are no expressways or elevated highways in the city core. All motorways were built as greenfield developments around the city (even A20!). Only 300 meters of A13 in Overschie was originally fronted by houses.

A famous Rotterdam icon:
[img]http://defotograaf.eu/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Rotterdam212.jpg[img]
By De Fotograaf
Exactly, car ownership has increased in the past 2 decades but instead of satisfying demand, they are removing street parking in favour for expensive parking garages, narrowing roads, and of course, ''duurzaam veilig'' which means lower speeds everywhere. I miss the times where 30km/h zones did not exist.

A town like Lelystad is far more car friendy, if you compare the capacity of the towns roads compared to the population.

In Europe there are numerous examples of towns/cities that are actually car friendly, eg. Coventry springs to mind, but generally many Belgian, German and UK cities I've been in are far nicer to travel around by car than Rotterdam, hell even Berlin was such a breeze to travel in by car.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #13310
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 13387

Something Rotterdam could do with are more underpasses on major intersections where 2 avenues of 2 lanes each cross each other. That would be a bit expensive though due to soil conditions, I think.
Old February 15th, 2016, 02:24 AM   #13311
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
In Europe there are numerous examples of towns/cities that are actually car friendly, eg. Coventry springs to mind, but generally many Belgian, German and UK cities I've been in are far nicer to travel around by car than Rotterdam, hell even Berlin was such a breeze to travel in by car.
The Germans helped with that one

I agree Berlin seems decent to get around... now the wall is gone
Old February 15th, 2016, 02:52 PM   #13312
ChrisZwolle
Road user

An accident on A15 at the Thomassen Tunnel west of Rotterdam. It's amazing how the guy stepped out of his Renault Clio practically unscratched.

• highway photography @
and

Kanadzie, EPA001 liked this post
Old February 15th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #13313
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12, Gouda

They are constructing a new road parallel to A12 near Gouda. It is intended to relieve A12 from local traffic, as the aquaduct is reaching its saturation point. The new road will not be a part of the motorway, but runs alongside it on the north side.

More photos by De Fotograaf

• highway photography @
and

8166UY, JanVL, EPA001 liked this post
Old February 15th, 2016, 04:38 PM   #13314
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 520

Is it going to be a A12/N12 setup or?
Old February 15th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #13315
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I'm not sure if it will be numbered at all. If it is a provincial road, N452 would be an option.

• highway photography @
and
Old February 15th, 2016, 05:25 PM   #13316
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 472

That bridge beside an aquaduct is screaming "I'm a patch!"

I wrote it earlier, but in my (limited) experience a large part of the capacity limit at Gouwe seemed to be due to the amount of traffic to/from the Gouda exit which must cross the main paths to/from A12 and A20.
Den Haag <-> Gouda movements require to cut the whole traffic of A20 in less than 1 km, and all this in the middle of a major merging point.

In my opinion a quite cheap but effective solution would be to take advantage of the unusually wide median at Gouda and add a couple of extra ramps dedicated to the mentioned movements.
Something like this:

And a similar thing (not drawn) on the other side, stemming from the left side of A12 and leading straight into the bridge.
It is a bit odd but decently effective.

What is the current speed limit in the area?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Last edited by Wilhem275; February 16th, 2016 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Corrected "Den Haag <-> Gouda", I messed up the directions
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 10:29 PM   #13317
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
That bridge beside an aquaduct is screaming "I'm a patch!"

I wrote it earlier, but in my (limited) experience a large part of the capacity limit at Gouwe seemed to be due to the amount of traffic to/from the Gouda exit which must cross the main paths to/from A12 and A20.
Gouda -> Rotterdam and Den Haag -> Gouda movements require to cut the whole traffic of (respectively) A12 and A20 in less than 1 km, and all this in the middle of a major merging point.

In my opinion a quite cheap but effective solution would be to take advantage of the unusually wide median at Gouda and add a couple of extra ramps dedicated to the mentioned movements.
Something like this:

And a similar thing (not drawn) on the other side, stemming from the left side of A12 and leading straight into the bridge.
It is a bit odd but decently effective.

What is the current speed limit in the area?
1. bridge = expensive

2. all slow traffic is merging on the left side, will cause traffic problems

easy option:
***add picture in work*** removed caused problems ***

cut some trees down, move a little bit earth and pave a lane that all entering trafic can stay on the right side and dont have to cross the flow

Last edited by Christian_AT; February 15th, 2016 at 10:35 PM.
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 10:30 PM   #13318
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 554

there ain't nothing easy about that
Old February 16th, 2016, 11:57 AM   #13319
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_AT View Post
2. all slow traffic is merging on the left side, will cause traffic problems
This is true and I thought it myself, but then I realized that... this is what's already happening there. All slow traffic leaving/merging A12 is crossing not one but two lanes of traffic, which might also be travelling at a substantially different speed (depending on traffic density on both roads).

There are many downsides to the "left side ramps" design, I'm the first to say it. But whichever flaw can be found in this application at Gouwe, I repeat, the current design is showing the same and in worse conditions.

Anyway, I'm sure there are many possible solutions, I just wanted to point out what is the problem there IMHO.
I'm not 100% convinced by the solution they're applying, which is good for local <-> local traffic, but doesn't seem very attractive for drivers using A12... the good ol' Gouda exit seems MUCH more direct and fast. I wouldn't use the new one.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 08:30 PM   #13320
Turf
-

Likes (Received): 30

Why not an extra aquaduct?
Turf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands