daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old July 1st, 2005, 03:02 PM   #1
bustcapl
Cork 2005

Likes (Received): 57

Liverpool to London by train in less than an hour!

what do ya think????

Supertrain???

www.justgiving.com/trevorcaplisnyc08
bustcapl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 1st, 2005, 03:15 PM   #2
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Location: Beside the lake, Beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing, In the Breeze
Likes (Received): 1

Talking Stuff the trains! Let's build this

If this ever happens then we can stop worrying about the shite train links into Liverpool

Fast train to Lime Street Jul 1 2005

By Neil Hodgson, Liverpool Echo

A 300MPH super-train connecting Liverpool to London in only 58 minutes is being planned.

The Maglev train - which uses magnetic power to support carriages on a guide track and propel them up to speeds of 311mph - would connect London with Glasgow, via Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle and Edinburgh, over a 500 mile route.

The UK Ultraspeed consortium behind bringing the train to Britain says Liverpool could be the first link to be established.

Business leaders including the CBI (Confederation of British Industry) and North West Development Agency believe the £16bn scheme could boost the region's economy and loosen the south east's strangle-hold on the nation's wealth.

The Maglev - short for magnetic levitation - sits on a magnetic cushion while surfing a rolling wave of electricity and could be in place by the end of the decade.

Its speeds would mean travelling from Liverpool to Newcastle would take 60 minutes, London to Birmingham 30 minutes and 100 minutes from London to Newcastle.

Alan James, project leader for UK Ultraspeed, told the ECHO: "Eco-nomic development is at the core of what we are doing.

"By linking Liverpool with Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle, to Glasgow by a high-speed system it would create a 'greater northern' economic powerhouse to rival the south east.

"It is all about access. This will balance the country."

A study by Newcastle university estimated that the north west region has only 32% of London's economic potential because of a lack of transport and access for employers and potential employers.

With the Maglev system that would improve to 78%, compared with London.

"The challenge is not technology or funding," Mr James said..

"The public finance initiative framework is in place for funding projects such as this - the challenge is political will and planning permission."
Blabbernsmoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 03:18 PM   #3
bustcapl
Cork 2005

cant see it myself but part of the fun of this site is the amount of wishful thinking it allows for.

Reason it won't happen is that the gov't would not want to dilute london's power and this would be an aid to doing this!

Old July 1st, 2005, 05:12 PM   #4
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 61

Sad but true, Bustcapl.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 05:43 PM   #5
pjmulholland

Likes (Received): 0

Its a nice idea, but theres obvious more then a bit of spinning going on by the Maglev consortium. The idea that Liverpool would get the first line being one (only as a spur from Manchester) and that fares would be £25 (not under the British model of low subsidy levels they wouldn't!)

I wonder where they'd put the station though?
pjmulholland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 05:45 PM   #6
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmulholland
I wonder where they'd put the station?
Manchester.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 05:50 PM   #7
pjmulholland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo
Manchester.
I can just see the latest "northern way" document now; "Manchester, as regional capi....blah de blah de blah"
Old July 1st, 2005, 06:05 PM   #8
bustcapl
Cork 2005

yes this story reminds me about another fanciful echo story about airtrain wanting to base 15+ 757's in LPL but LPL could not handle them so they were going to Manchester airport.

Needless to say that has died a death

Journalism can be so poor!

Old July 1st, 2005, 06:15 PM   #9
pjmulholland

Airtrain was pie in the sky from the word go. That is why Peel wouldn't touch it with a shitty stick.
Old July 1st, 2005, 06:21 PM   #10
Mac
BANNED

Its a great idea....but unfourtunately, great schemes like this always get the lesser spotted nimby's foaming at the mouth, because some hedgerow or tree might have to be cut down...the shock...the horror....

Schemes like this always come too close to the back gardens of middle England's chinless wonders who want to keep living in their chocolate box corner of the country.

If this country wasnt so geographically small, schemes like this would have been built years ago....its why France was able to build its high speed network, they could simply route it through unpopulated areas between citys....we just dont have that option
Mac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 08:29 PM   #11
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

Sounds like a good idea, but how would it get into the centre of citys, unless it's built above existing motorways, main roads. More likeley say outskirts of kirkby to outskirts of Manchester along A580, connecting onto railway line station.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 08:34 PM   #12
Liverdude
Hypnotize!

Quote:
Sounds like a good idea, but how would it get into the centre of citys, unless it's built above existing motorways, main roads. More likeley say outskirts of kirkby to outskirts of Manchester along A580, connecting onto railway line station.
Couldn't they go underground to stop in city centres, I guess that'd put cost right up though?

Well I'm half awake, half a world away, all my past mistakes and every wasted day, I wouldn't have it any other way!
Liverdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 08:54 PM   #13
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverdude
Couldn't they go underground to stop in city centres, I guess that'd put cost right up though?
At 300mph that would be one ear popping experience

Seriously though, yes thats possible, and as you say would be very expensive, they would probably slow down through city centre/built up areas, or into tunnels. I know the CTRL is underground from the centre of London to somewhere on the outskirts, so its not impossible to do similar in Liverpool.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 09:22 PM   #14
pjmulholland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUXTAPOL

Some JMU students did a display on future Liverpool a few years ago that I remember going to see. They suggested using the old rail tunnel that runs down to the docks and building the terminus where the "Toys R Us" shed is now. Seemed a sensible idea to me.
Old July 1st, 2005, 09:40 PM   #15
liverpolitan

Sounds good. For some months the newspapers have said Tony Blair was personally impressed by the plans for a super-high speed line.

I don't see how this can't happen.

It is insanity to use planes for internal journeys between London and the northern / Scottish cities. It is causing tons of carbon to be released every day, and is not sustainable. Domestic air traffic from London to Northern England / Scotland could be made obsolete by this development. Everyone travelling by air internally who has a choice should search their conscience, because it's hugely destructive. I do it occasionally because I am forced to do trips for work that I can't otherwise do, but it is objectionable.

Plus we could stop wasting vast amounts of money on any further expansion of the motorway network, and get people out of cars for long distance journeys.

I don't know what the proposed route is, but plainly a spur would not be a first choice. Not in the mood to look at the proposed map at the moment, it will probably annoy me, but a decent direct link on this thing for Liverpool would be great.

I think this is going to happen.
liverpolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 12:34 PM   #16
Gareth
Keltlandia

From all the maps that I've seen, Liverpool is not included in the plans. The main proposal being from London to Birmingham - Manchester - Leeds - Newcaste - Edinburgh - Glasgow as one long line.

Of course we would then add this to our list of 'we're the biggest city in the country without...' list.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 12:42 PM   #17
Liverdude
Hypnotize!

^The map in the Echo does show Liverpool.

Well I'm half awake, half a world away, all my past mistakes and every wasted day, I wouldn't have it any other way!
Old July 2nd, 2005, 12:45 PM   #18
Gareth
Keltlandia

Have you a scanner?
Old July 2nd, 2005, 12:49 PM   #19
Liverdude
Hypnotize!

Quote:
Have you a scanner?
Not one that is working!

The line looks like the one you described but at Manchester it splits off to Liverpool.

Old July 2nd, 2005, 12:51 PM   #20
Gareth
Keltlandia

That's shit. What's wrong with a divergence at Crewe like on the WCML?