NOTTINGHAM: Sneinton Market and Eastside Gateway

Hello I thought forum members would be interested in the following;

Nottingham Regeneration Limited (NRL), Nottingham City Council and Blueprint
have appointed an international team of architects led by Gehl Architects
to work on the:

Nottingham Sneinton Market/Eastside Gateway Neighbourhood Development Plan

www.sneintonmarketandeastsidegateway.info

The purpose of this work is to provide a framework for the physical, social and
economic regeneration of the neighbourhood over the next ten years.

The key objectives for the design team are:
To provide a kick start for new regeneration activity.
To listen and incorporate the ideas and imagination of local communities and
stakeholders.
To secure the commitment and investment of landowners.
To identify and maximise the potential funding opportunities and support local
business.
To improve the image and quality of the built and public environment including
access and linkage to open and green spaces.
To provide a focus for the Eastside and link the communities of St Anns and
Sneinton to the City Centre.
To explore the potential to develop a creative industries cluster
within this area as a key component in the economic development and regeneration.

See less See more
#119 · (Edited)

these boarded up shops are also scheduled for demolition.

About time, its been an eyesore for a very very long time.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Aband...t-demolished/story-26201358-detail/story.html

Possibly another residential block. Some more height would look good, the series of 10-15 storey residential blocks along the East side has made the area look much more city like as you drive through to get from North to South.

Add to that the bio city development and its looking much better down that side of the city.

#123 ·
I volunteer just across the street from there....that building is completely vile and inappropriate in any universe. I always secretly hoped the whole set of blocks would be replaced by something truly community-driven like a school or market building, or combination of such things.

Our gallery should get an increase in footfall due to the redevelopments...holding out hope for that. Then of course the rent will increase....

#129 ·
Yes. What purpose would a 25 storey building in Sneinton serve??

How about a high quality, sustainable, useful 5/6 storey building that allows views through to the refurbished market area?
I think height is important not just from an aesthetic point of view, but from a usage point of view. I strongly believe in people bring prosperity - i.e. if there are loads of people living in a residential building they're looking over the square to see/report crime, to use the cafes, to buy the fruit and veg. Likewise if it's offices you've got the workers using the facilities, spending their money in this micro-economy.

That being said, the point about views is important. Would be nice to have a couple of blocks, or even one block with an archway leading to the square. They've spent such money and done the market square so well I really needs to be the focal point, blocking it off totally again would be a shame.

#131 ·
The new road layout at the Southwell Road / A612 junction is an utter joke. Not only has it been ongoing for 6 months, but the way they have redesigned it means that there are now queues even on a Sunday evening whereas none existed before.

If they wanted to get the traffic moving more freely around that area, all they had to do was send a traffic warden along to book the cars blocking the junction that continually park on the yellow lines outside the barbers with seeming impunity.

What Muppets come up with these plans? Do they just get a kick out of wasting our money?

#137 ·
God yes. The queuing is ridiculous, particularly at the end of the day when traffic backs up down the A612 and often blocks the big junction near Liberty's gym. There used to be two lanes turning right onto Southwell Road but now it's been reduced to one lane, with the other one for people who want to turn right again onto Sneinton Road, which strikes me as a bit daft, but then I'm not a traffic planner... I just drive through the bloody thing every day.

That said, I'm not sure how many of the issues are down the temporary lights - we'll have to see how it is once the whole thing is finished and the permanent lights are operating. I wish they'd hurry up. It's taken a ridiculously long time to complete.

#132 ·
Unfortunately pretty much every tall building built outside London (and a lot of the residential ones built there) are of seriously poor quality. I'd rather not have Nottingham blighted by anymore shit quality buildings, especially ones that you can see from a mile away.. A well designed, well finished 3-5 storey development would be perfect..

#134 ·
The ideal place to have a few 15+ storey buildimgs would be at the island site, but even on empty land we cannot entice developers to build there. This is the problem with Nottingham. There are many cities around the world with similar sized populations, with less transport infrastructure etc and they still build more 15+ storey buildings then Nottingham. It certainly has to do with business rate tax etc, which p''''' me off. If were one of the richest countries in the world, why is it that besides London and a couple of other cities, we cannot get the level of investment we require?

#139 ·
As someone who drives the route daily I cannot why they have done any of this. There are never any pedestrians crossing around there, so to bung up the traffic for mythical bipeds seem really rather ridiculous.

Furthermore as PeteB points the lanes have been changed so people driving around and around in circles are fully catered for, at the expense of the 95% of traffic trying to head up towards Carlton.

I can only assume the Council's computer said this layout would work better. My advice would be to get a new computer. How many tens of thousands of pound (and 6+ months of disruption) have been spunked away making the junction worse than it was!?

#140 ·
The reason why no-one walks round there and the surrounding area is dead is because the road is absolutely horrific - not quite as bad as the next junction down (Newark Street) where there are no pedestrian lights. Once that is done too (next on the list I believe) it will make getting to work much safer and more pleasant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.