SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NOTTINGHAM | £400m Extension of the Tram Network | Working Parking Levy | Future Networks

605K views 3K replies 171 participants last post by  Jozhua5000 
#1 ·
I set this thread up to talk about 4 things...

1. The New Tram Network
2. Future Tram Lines
3. The Working Parking Levy
4. And and interesting concept of Tram-Trains that i'm going to talk about in a minute.

As you all know, Nottinghams expanding its tram network with an additional 2 lines costing £400m

Net Phase 2 Website
Detailed Route to Chilwell
Detailed Root to Clifton

The Route...

I think the points below from this thread could make an interesting discussion.

I just found a thread about this concept the government wants to try out of Tram-Trains. The info abot tram trains are in the thread above. To sum it up, Tram Trains are trams that can run on the normal train lines. I think they'll travel at higher speeds, I was just asking about the differences between them and our network and got this response.

Just read the list of developments in NG on the East Mids forum and I very impressed.

I used to live in Beeston, as if that qualifies my comments!!

The trams used on the NET would be different from any tram-train.The latter is a hybrid between light rail (trams) and heavy rail (erm trains).

A tram-train could use both tram and train lines.The best examples is in Karlsruhe I believe.

I remember getting into a conversation in Nottingham from someone from the PTE in 2000.

They said they wanted to see how the tram network went first before thinking about a tram-train network. he identified the Robin Hood line to mansfield, a route from Ilkeston (Ilk'stun eh!). maybe to the Airport and certainly out west to Netherfield and beyond.

There is some disused lines around Nottingham that could be used, but I think any TnT in NG would use existing lines, with new stations eg Radford.

Tram Trains in Nottingham ayy? Reinstating the old train networks, and running out to manchester. I think that'd be a great idea.

See less See more
#2,448 ·
Well because trams are running there, albeit for testing purposes only at the moment. As today was the due date then they will potentially be fined from this point onwards, but there will be several claims going on and I'm sure the lawyers are all over it from both sides. As I've said a number of times now this project hasn't actually gone that badly, and the majority of the delay can be put down to the ground conditions and unmapped services which is nothing to do with TWA. If you want to see a farce of a project then check out what happened in Edinburgh with their tram system.

#2,450 ·
Edinburgh is on another level. Vinci plc have lost £30million and that isnt a farse? You pay for a ground investigation whether you conduct one or not. Unmapped buried services fair enough but whats the reason for 'unforeseen' ground conditions?
Well they are by definition something that cannot be foreseen :p Anyway it's a bit of a murky area depening on what contract they are engaged under... For instance JCT contracts don't even address the issus, under an NEC contract they are a compensation event, whilst some FIDIC contracts pass all the risk to the contractor but others (red book) allow for an extension of time and costs if the contractor encounters them... I don't know the ins and outs of this contract but you can sympathise with the contractor, this isn't a site in terms of a single building but the site in this case is essentially a 17km stretch of land where you are going to encounter a whole range of ground conditions.

#2,453 ·
High Road/Chilwell Road essentially open to traffic now, just waiting for cabling to go up and the Devonshire Ave/Middle St junction to be complete. Convenient as there's been a big accident on Queens Rd meaning traffic has all had to be diverted along High Rd

#2,459 ·
One less reason to live in Kimberley, wouldn't surprise me if some developers who have plans for new houses there pull out or shrink the amount they want built!

I even remember when one developer were willing to make a wide road through their housing estate to prepare for if the tram was coming!

Public transport to Kimberly is awful, looks like that's not going to change

#2,461 ·
I think they'll still go ahead with the feasibility study after the next election. It's political point scoring, but I'm sure sense will prevail. Even if the feasibility study is positive, it will be years before construction begins, plenty of time to "learn the lessons" of Phase 2, as if that will somehow help in the construction of a different line (when there are plenty of other more similar tram lines that can provide such "lessons learnt").

I too am very disappointed with the Lib Dems. Councillor Steve Carr is in my view a big let down to the party.

#2,464 ·
You certainly won't be alone djfusion!

It's nice to see all the trackwork completed on the Beeston Line. Not all parts of the roads are ready yet, even those that have reopened - tarmac, roadmarkings and landscaping still need going in in many places. Hopefully next time I'm in Nottingham all will look great and the buses will have started using the new bus station.

#2,472 ·
Some more from around the Toll Bridge. Looks pretty much complete here now - just need to finish off the emergency access route to the schools, and surface the path to the nature reserve, the grass to grow and the signage to be installed on the stops and job done. Even the paint work on the roads has gone down.
Phased opening? Don't see how it would do any harm to do a phased opening and gradually opening more and more of the route as it gets completed and tested. I guess the only thing would be whether the passenger demand for the inbetween stops would be there without the bigger destinations (Clifton centre and park and ride).

#2,481 ·
Line 2 Progress 25/01/2015 - Wilford

The installation of conflict causing barriers alongside the Beckett School :(

(seriously - what type of eejit thinks - 2you know what, this path that's wide enough for cyclists to pass pedestrians with plenty of space really needs something that forces cyclists and pedestrians to get in one another way, and while we are at it we really should do is ensure that cycles with trailers on the back of them could end up fouling the tram tracks if they've just used the crossing and a rabble of people (like the kids heading to school, or mothers with pushchairs) happen to be attempting to negotiate the barriers at the same time) [/soapbox]

The new level crossing next to the path through to the allotments and under the former GCR bridge.

More conflict creation barriers at the next crossing which remains closed... (and the quality warning on the ground - LOOKBOTHWAYS - took me ten attempts of reading it to work out what they were trying to say.

The split in the path heading to the platforms