SkyscraperCity Forum banner

LEICESTER | Retail, Eateries etc

973K views 8K replies 129 participants last post by  Strstford14 
#1 · (Edited)
I've started this thread in order to discuss anything and everything to do with retail within Leicester city centre. Although there is the Highcross thread, this thread is more concerned with the other parts of the city centre aswell.

I'll start of with a brief round-up of recent/almost old developments with regards to retail:

Haymarket Centre:
-Peacocks (slightly more upmarket than nearby Primark) is soon to open on the site of Woolies.
-Can't remember its name but a new ink cartridges, etc store has recently opened there?

Former Littlewoods site:
-Halifax will be opening a new branch there
-Clarkes have refurbished their store
-Deichmann shoes to open there soon.
-Is Soccer World relocating to there from Haymarket Towers?

Haymarket/Belgrave Gate:
-Many shops seems to have, not surprisingly, closed down there, inc.:
-Savers (now another tacky/temporary shop - formerly Moben/Sharpes)
-Max Spielmann branch there closed down
-The large, dare I say '£1' shop, has closed beneath the former Haymarket
theatre, as have 1 or 2 others nearer the GS Picture House development.
-Bit between Haymarket car park ramp and Subway has been refurbished
and is now awaiting new occupants

Gallowtree Gate:
-Envy is going to have a refit (according to the posters on the windows)
-Joy has recently opened there (next door to Topshop), as has another branch of Greggs.
-One of the mobile phone shops is now empty, as is the former Going Places(?) unit next to Bhs
-HSBC are currently making a new branch in the former home of Wallis

High Street:
-Still too many 'below parr' shops and vacant units, i.e fomer Sony Centre shop.

Market Street:
-Famous memrobilia shop having closed a while back is still vacant,
-Tarrats the jewellers have swish new shop there
-Slug and Lettuce has recently opened there
-Former discount book shop unit still vacant(?)

Horsefair Street:
-Quiznos has opened on the corner with Bowling Green Street, as has an
Indian bank further down the road.

Hotel Street:
-Former Past Times Shop still vacant - they did have a posters up saying that they had 'temporarily' moved? Though the shop is out for lease now.

St Martins Square:
-The Original Cookwear shop has been saved from closing down
-Shop @ Panasonic recently opened there

Granby Street:
-HSBC bank to close soon? (relocating to Gallowtree Gate)
-Most of the units on International House's site now close down, except for Milletts.
-Cmexx (spelt correctly?) a gaming store has also opened there recently

I'm sure there's plenty more to discuss!!! :)

See less See more
#4,402 ·
Le Petit Four on the corner of Hotel Street and Millstone lane (opposite Market St McDonalds) and City Bookmakers on the corner of Hotel St and Friar Lane have both closed down.

Hopefully these units will be filled, the area has real potential with the Market redevelopment and is a vital link between the Lanes/ St Martins and Market Street area.

#4,403 ·
Le Petit Four on the corner of Hotel Street and Millstone lane (opposite Market St McDonalds) and City Bookmakers on the corner of Hotel St and Friar Lane have both closed down.

Hopefully these units will be filled, the area has real potential with the Market redevelopment and is a vital link between the Lanes/ St Martins and Market Street area.
I was wondering how long Le Petit Four would last, as it was never really busy, even at lunch time. I really hope those units get filled soon, with good occupiers.

#4,413 ·
#4,415 ·
#4,419 ·