SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NORTHAMPTON | Projects & Construction

54K views 140 replies 33 participants last post by  madannie 
#1 ·
I feel this is a thread that's been a long time coming, so I'm going to kick it off with the new plans for the railway station... (pictures copyright West Northamptonshire Development Corporation)

These plans are a massive improvement over the current station which hasn't been fit for purpose for some time. My only problem with these plans is the lack of additional platforms, which I think Northampton needs with the present three through platforms regularly being simultaneously occupied. I think a new south-facing bay platform would free up space for additional through services, possibly even long-distance ones.

That aside this is a very positive step in my opinion and will make Castle station feel much more like a regional node. Please do all tell me what you think, and share anything you know about all other upcoming developments in Northampton!

See less See more
#3 ·
I fear it may be a long time before those plans come to fruition, but my god, WHAT an improvement!!!!

A friend of mine used to live on the estate on the opposite side of the railway so i'd walk past the station going to/from town quite regularly and its very grim at the moment. So long as there's adequate parking/bus/taxi facilities, I say GET ON WITH IT!

As I do with the Grosvenor Centre development. Does anyone have any images for this?

#6 ·
I don't know if I'm the only one interested in this or not, but there are plans to replace Greyfriars Bus Station with a smaller facility on the site of the Fishmarket. The plans have met with oposition by three main groups; people who feel the new bus station is too small, people who feel Greyfriar's warrants keeping and people who feel the Fishmarket warrants keeping. An article about the latter is here: http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/english-heritage-refuses-to-list-northampton-s-fishmarket-saying-it-s-not-of-historical-interest-1-3642419

Here is an article on the new bus station and the negative reactions to it - http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/environment-transport/angry_users_and_drivers_criticise_new_northampton_bus_station_plans_at_public_exhibition_1_3437556

Here's the plan for the new station, which has 12 bays instead of the current 22. Photo copyright to Northamptonshire County Council I believe, but I'll happily edit my post if that's incorrect.

#8 ·
The redevelopment of the Grosvenor Centre has been thrown out for now. L&G say that the current scheme is not viable. What a surprise years of waiting for a start. A scheme coming forward. Now its been thrown out by the developers. What a load of shit. Northampton is going to get worse before it gets better.:eek:hno:

#12 ·
In other transport news First have confirmed they intend to sell their operation in Northampton as part of a restructuring of their nationwide business. As though the handful of routes they've not yet canceled (the 2, 4, 4A, 12, 23, 28 and 29/30) weren't difficult to sell enough they've also begun a process of swapping 02-reg vehicles with R and S-reg ones from Norwich in the run up to the sale.

A sale to Stagecoach is unlikely as this would give them a monopoly and would get referred to the Office of Fair Trading. The main contenders to buy the operation are probably Centrebus and unexpected new arrival Uno who will be taking over routes 18, 19 and 21 from September. Local independents like Meridian and Country Lion aren't in a position to take on the operation (and frankly seem to struggle with their current routes) and Arriva pulled out of Northampton during 2010/11 and so are unlikely to return. The other possibility is that nobody buys, First cancel the routes and pack up their bags and Stagecoach register new routes along the popular corridors with NCC tendering out the others. I hope that doesn't happen because whilst Stagecoach offer a good service with good vehicles their fares are extortionate and giving them a total monopoly would in my opinion be bad for Northampton.

Catch 'em while you can!!

#13 ·
Just thought I'd bump this up since things are moving along..

Lifting this from the Northampton Alive info:

The Secretary of State has granted permission for the demolition of the Fishmarket and demolition work is due to start in November 2012, with completion of the new interchange due by the end of 2013. The Bus Interchange development, which is being jointly promoted by Northamptonshire County Council, Northampton Borough Council and West Northamptonshire Development Corporation is a key step in the regeneration of the town centre.

Kier Construction Ltd has been appointed as the main contractor to build the
Bus Interchange.

The train station is also going ahead although I'm not entirely sure about the timeframe.. It should be ready by 2014 as far as I remember..

#14 ·
The rail station development is great and long overdue.

If regenerating/improving the town centre is the goal then the Fishmarket bus station is a step in completely the wrong direction. It's far too small and understated. All it's going to do is cause congestion and result in a further worsening of Northampton's bus services.

#18 ·
#19 ·
Work has begun on the new 'cinepod' at Derngate. The one screen cinema will show international, art-house, documentary and Hollywood films - I personally think it's going to be a fantastic addition to the town's cultural life. I know we have Forum, but having it in the centre makes all the difference.

You can see more information at the link below including a cam on the construction site:
http://www.royalandderngate.co.uk/en/Home/TheTheatres/Cinema

#20 · (Edited)
Northampton Castle Train Station

Today final images have been released of the new train station. Works will begin in April/May this year, with the building's outer shell finished in 6 months. The building will then be internally fitted out and should be open by Summer 2014. A new footbridge will replace the inadequate one that currently connects the platforms. Once the new station is up and running, the existing one will be demolished! - the new station will be against the roadside of Black Lion Hill. This will be such an improvement to what is currently rather an embarrassment.

The stations new website http://www.northamptonstation.co.uk/ - has further details and a timeline for completion!

Later stages will see retail, office and new multi storey car parks built on the land around the station.

#21 ·
It's certainly a cool building, although I'm surprised they haven't gone with an even larger building. I'm not keen on the 'Northampton Station' writing!! You never write 'station' on a station... that sign seems the perfect opportunity to bring back the 'Northampton Castle' name.

Excellent pictures btw, thanks for finding and sharing them.

#23 ·
Northampton Innovation Centre

The University of Northampton is looking to build a new presence in the town centre (with new Halls of residence currently under construction on what used to be St. John's open air car park (at the bottom of Derngate and opposite Morrisons), and also bold plans to build a new uni campus near the Avon European HQ.

The Innovation Centre has been in planning for some time, but movement now seems to be happening (I work for a utility company and an order for the diversion of our apparatus from their site has recently been agreed)

The centre will be opposite the new Train Station, offering space for up to 60 start-up businesses spawned from the university.

Work should start this Summer.

#24 ·
Northampton Uni - St. John's Halls

The University of Northampton is looking to increase it's presence in the town centre as currently it sits on two satellite campus's in Kingsthorpe and Park Avenue. They are currently building a new Halls of Residence on what was St. John's open air car park, between Morrisons and Derngate.

The Halls will contain 500 student flats across an array of connected but varied buildings. Sadly all the renders appear to be artists impressions, but these halls have been under construction for the last 3 or 4 months.

#25 ·
Northampton Bus Station

The Greyfriars bus station in Northampton has long been derided as a shocking piece of architecture. Ghastly, mammoth, cold, dark, poorly connected. It has loomed over the Northern side of the town centre, cutting off any kind of pedestrian links to the surrounding area. The offices above the station sat empty for 6 years after they were built, had a tenant for 5 years rent free on the proviso that they modernised the offices. Barclaycard then moved to the offices but left in 1997 for bigger more modern offices at Brackmills. The offices have stood empty ever since. Excellent creepy pictures of the desolate abandoned office can be found in this article: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/other-sites/73185-greyfriars-house-northampton-bus-station-northampton-aug-2012-a.html

The plans to expand the Grosvenor Centre have relied on Greyfriars being demolished so the centre can use tha land, however what with the recession and Legal & General's (the owners of the centre) unwillingness to invest, the project has continuously stalled as the town centre declines year on year as people favour MK, Leicester and Birmingham.

The council have finally decided to act alone, buying Stagecoach out of their lease on the Greyfriars building. The new bust station has been approved for the site of the former Fishmarket near the Drapery. Demolition works commenced on the Fishmarket after Christmas 2012 and construction of the new station will follow once the ground is cleared. The Greyfriars bus station will then be demolished, priming the land for future development. (Some demolition has started within the offices above the station already)

#27 ·
The Fishmarket has now been completely demolished. According to the Chronicle and Echo: On the site will be 12 bus bays and in the new bus station will be ticket facilities, toilets,a cafe and shops. Seven bus bays will also be located in The Drapery and two more in Bradshaw Street. As part of the development, two dilapidated shops next to the old Fishmarket will be restored.

The steel structure for the Derngate Cinepod has now been completed and the whole thing is coming along well.

#28 ·
Stagecoach have registered two new bus services that seem to confirm First will withdraw routes 12, 28, 29 and 30 in May. First have said the decision to withdraw routes is not yet final, but Stagecoach will commence operating the Kings Heath - Camp Hill route 12 and the Parklands-Shelfleys route 10 from mid May and it's extremely unlikely First would try to run these routes in competition.

As you'll all know First were planning to sell Northampton but were unable to find a buyer. According to their press statement (the same one that said they hadn't decided yet) they've decided to have a long-term future in Northampton and ''may'' reduce services to facilitate that. So what'll happen to the R-reg decrepit fleet recently brought in from Norwich is anyone's guess.