SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NOTTINGHAM | Full Summary of Projects

1M views 9K replies 210 participants last post by  WillPS 
#1 · (Edited)
Nottingham Thread

Nottingham is undergoing one of the most far-reaching, substantial and exciting development programmes taking place in any of the UK's cities. More than £3.5 billion is being invested in the City Centre, a combination of public and private sector funds, covering transport, infrastructure and the built environment.

/discuss

#81 ·
Broadmarsh is still scheduled to start next year but, like Eastside, they still havent submitted a full planning application yet. Nottingham does seem to have two of every store...i guess my concern is what happens to the centre of town if all the retailers have one store at Broadmarsh and one at the Victoria Centre. I think Broadmarsh or The Pod could provide an ideal opportunity for a Selfridges or Harvey Nicks store and I would have thought the profile of the retail catchment area would be great for them (not forgetting that Nottingham ranks above Leeds and Manchester for its retail offer). But apparently they're not interested.

The plans for Jubillee Campus are impressive and its good news that Make (Ken Shuttleworth - the Gherkin, Birmingham's Cube) are involved in two big Notts projects...this and Meadows Gateway.

#83 ·
Its been on the website for a while now but Picture Works has been aproved and is due to start later this year.

It looks like the the design has changed from earlier pics, I prefer it.

from http://www.lacemarketproperties.co....works_kick_starts_the_southside_regeneration/

"The site is opposite the planned redevelopment of Nottingham Station and comprises 128 luxury apartments with gymnasium and car parking. Construction will take about 2 years and commences on site in October, 2006

The PictureWorks is the first of a series of exciting buildings which will link into the planned comprehensive regeneration of the Southside area of which Lace Market Properties were recently chosen as the preferred developer to build a new development +£100mGDV and in excess of 500,000 sq ft – at Meadows Gateway.

PictureWorks is a 10 storey building with 7 storeys in the main and 3 storeys of a highly glazed pod feature to the western end of the building which forms an exciting gateway into the train station. The contemporary design has been inspired by the context and history of the site with silver metallic panelling forming corner features and large balcony ‘frames’ to Queens Road. The less public facades are clad in crisp white render at lower levels.

The building has a glazed penthouse level at 6th floor and the ‘Pod’ is an expressive architectural addition to the western end of the building which is clad in metal panelling and a random patterned highly glazed façade."

#85 ·
I think those pictures of the eastside highlight how much of an impact 1 brook street would have had (although admittedly it would be mostly blocked out in those pics). There is a lot more density around there now, but it's just begging for a taller pinnacle or three.

By the way I'd never seen that office tower on Cranbrook street before it got its reclad and was turned into flats, but by the looks of it they did a good job.

#87 ·
nottingham developments are a absolute shambles and this city is going to the dogs, if not already but itreally is fcuking up big time

not only doesit take ridiculous amount of time for the developments to go ahead(ill; do a bet with anyone that the broadmarsh wont start till 2008, and may even get cancelled), once they do go ahead, we seem to have the slowest builders in the history of mankind

look at the market square, its been a bomb site for absolue ages, and now they say it wont be ready till christmas, which will do are retail profits at that time a wonder of good :rolleyes:

erby nearly done there eagle center and it ony started last year, and leicester although planning permission alot later than broadmarsh has got 3 cranes on site for the shires extension, wouldnt surprise me if sheffield retial quarter goes ahead befor the broadarsh extension

and now that we are on the subject of the broadmarsh, why dont th knock the whole thing down, dont extend that piece of shit building, do what sheffield is doing and liverpool and do a street scen retail experiance, which is alot more original

also that macro island relcad and building is vile, the meadows gateway is sickening and the eastside renders look terrible

face itwe are doing shit

#88 ·
^That's your opinion, but personally I think most of what you said is complete bollocks. Right from the start of the Market Square project they said it would take 13 months and that's pretty much how long it is going to take, and I'm betting it will be worth the wait. As for the Broadmarsh, I agree that it's taken far too long so far, but it is a massive project and will completely transform the city for the better. As far as I'm aware they are pretty much knocking the whole thing down and the old centre will be replaced with individual 'blocks', which will have streets going through them, thus breaking it up and making the city centre more accessible from the bus and train stations. I think that's exactly what's needed. Really the Broadmarsh is the only project that has had any major delays, which I don't think is half bad.

I for one think that Nottingham council has definitely got it's head screwed on after reading it's document on it's vision for the future of Nottingham. They say they are laying the foundations for "a bigger, better Nottingham". I agree.

#90 ·
well you lot will be in for a big surprise as thus far the developments have been rubbish

the onme near rock city is bland a fcuk, the juy inn hotel n appartments are laughable, the trinity retail one again is no wow factor and the macro island is a architechture disaster imo

and i find it amusing that you lot trust a city council with a track ecord of awful schools and crime rate

each to there own i guess, isnt this th same council that sacntioned the 100 000 pounds mirror that burnt pideons and the solap pannled car parking meters forgetting that england hardly has any sun

i think it is

#91 ·
bob I can barely understand your ramblings. However, I will try my best to reply.

I'm not too sure which one you mean near Rock City so I couldn't comment.

I agree the Jury's Inn hotel and Waterfront Plaza could have been much better, but I've seen a lot worse new Jury's Inns in other cities.

I don't understand why everyone keeps saying Trinity Square has no 'wow factor' (although a notable exception is John Prescott, not that I respect his opinions in any way, shape or form). I should probably rephrase that - I agree it has no real 'wow factor' but what I don't understand is why everyone expected it to have - its main purpose is to extend the city centre northwards, which I think it will do very nicely and inoffensively. That said I think it has got some very nice touches - the lights on the back of the southern block for instance. I think we should wait to see what the finished article is like before delivering a final judgement anyway, as I always think its very difficult to tell exactly what impact a new development will have until its been built.

Marco Island is an interesting one. When I first saw it I agree, I thought it looked shit. But it's grown on me quite a bit - it kind of reminds me of a ship sailing through the centre of Nottingham, which I like.

Anyway, my main point is this - have you seen most of the new developments in other cities? They are mostly bland or ugly (and even sometimes both - see the Plaza in Leeds or the Orion building in Birmingham to understand what I mean), built with no thought for aesthetics, only economics. I think that although some of Nottingham's new developments are not of the highest architectural quality, they still compare very favourably with most other cities' new developments. Plus we will soon be blessed with two very interesting pieces of architecture - The Pod and The Centre for Contemporary Art. I'm very excited about these projects and think that they will be the high quality ones we have been waiting for.

#92 ·
face it, bob. When the Broadmarsh is rebuild, Nottingham will be back in the game. I agree, its taking long, however we dont want this development to be rushed and screwed up but we all would rather wait 3 years or 4 years for a classic structural design in the city centre.

#93 ·
Heres some photos of some of the buildings under construction around Marco island. Sorry they are rather dull. Also some general skyline photos I took last month that you might like.

I can post more later.

Personally I think the problem we have with development in nottingham is a lack of continuity and masterplanning. We are having some good development going up gradually, but in patchy islands, we are not building great streets. The best cities have great streets, like those running around market square. I'm working on a vision for Canal street, with buildings based on Redmayne and Todd running from carrington street to Eastside; that in my view would be a great street, with a vista of Colwick Park Hill and and the tower at Eastside one end. Better than some identikit shopping centre at any rate.

#94 ·
^nice one dude.

i don't necessarily think that lack of continuity and masterplanning has to be a huge problem. it's often better for new key infrastructure developments to take place as and when they are needed rather than all at once, because it allows the environment to slowly evolve and gain it's own character. if things are done quickly, the result is usually a slightly inhuman new area.

just to contradict myself, i would love to have a crack at totally replanning the area below the castle, around Broadmarsh and along the lower half of Maid Marian Way tho mate - it's a shocker, and it could be great. someone else has got there first tho so lets hope they get it right.

#95 ·
bantam said:
bob I can barely understand your ramblings. However, I will try my best to reply.

I'm not too sure which one you mean near Rock City so I couldn't comment.

I agree the Jury's Inn hotel and Waterfront Plaza could have been much better, but I've seen a lot worse new Jury's Inns in other cities.

I don't understand why everyone keeps saying Trinity Square has no 'wow factor' (although a notable exception is John Prescott, not that I respect his opinions in any way, shape or form). I should probably rephrase that - I agree it has no real 'wow factor' but what I don't understand is why everyone expected it to have - its main purpose is to extend the city centre northwards, which I think it will do very nicely and inoffensively. That said I think it has got some very nice touches - the lights on the back of the southern block for instance. I think we should wait to see what the finished article is like before delivering a final judgement anyway, as I always think its very difficult to tell exactly what impact a new development will have until its been built.

Marco Island is an interesting one. When I first saw it I agree, I thought it looked shit. But it's grown on me quite a bit - it kind of reminds me of a ship sailing through the centre of Nottingham, which I like.

Anyway, my main point is this - have you seen most of the new developments in other cities? They are mostly bland or ugly (and even sometimes both - see the Plaza in Leeds or the Orion building in Birmingham to understand what I mean), built with no thought for aesthetics, only economics. I think that although some of Nottingham's new developments are not of the highest architectural quality, they still compare very favourably with most other cities' new developments. Plus we will soon be blessed with two very interesting pieces of architecture - The Pod and The Centre for Contemporary Art. I'm very excited about these projects and think that they will be the high quality ones we have been waiting for.
no offence but do you write for the arrow cos you think the light shines out of the city counsels arse

let me put it in perpective for you.

1) ill do a bet that the pointless redevelopment of a already nice square will be well past christmas

2)ropewalk house is a small weak devlopment, even thats taken yonks

3) broadmarsh had planning permission grnated way before bristols, leicesters, etc they are humongous prjects as well, and lol at that fella saying will take 3 years and the broadmarsh will be done, how naive

4) nottms losing 1200 jobs from the hospital merge and 160 from boots, we needs better developmetns than this crap if we are even to compete with leicester in 3 years time, let alone sheffield,leeds etc

5) lol at comparing leeds to nottm, im sorry we dont have any near the bridge water place development which completely owns all of out wack midrises

you lot should write for the arrow where everything is all honky dory, you prob think knife crimes gone down as well

#97 ·
bobthebuilder said:
no offence but do you write for the arrow cos you think the light shines out of the city counsels arse

let me put it in perpective for you.

1) ill do a bet that the pointless redevelopment of a already nice square will be well past christmas

2)ropewalk house is a small weak devlopment, even thats taken yonks

3) broadmarsh had planning permission grnated way before bristols, leicesters, etc they are humongous prjects as well, and lol at that fella saying will take 3 years and the broadmarsh will be done, how naive

4) nottms losing 1200 jobs from the hospital merge and 160 from boots, we needs better developmetns than this crap if we are even to compete with leicester in 3 years time, let alone sheffield,leeds etc

5) lol at comparing leeds to nottm, im sorry we dont have any near the bridge water place development which completely owns all of out wack midrises

you lot should write for the arrow where everything is all honky dory, you prob think knife crimes gone down as well
patience mate, patience. large, chest-beating, attention-grabbing projects and developments are not necessarily good ones. nottingham has really done quite well. it's all about long term planning.

#98 ·
Skid said:
Bob, if you hate every single thing about Nottingham so much then why dont you piss off somewhere else. You seem to think Leicesters miles better so how about there? And before you reply moaning about crime again have a read of this -

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/nottingham-life/truecrime.php

se its rubbish post like that from thick headed idiots like you that make this city go to pot

i didt say leister was well better, buti ts developments structure is miles better

lmao at youy putting a post p of nottinghma uni begging students to stop rejecting nottingham as its losing students by large numbers

oh and what was amusibng was that even with those figures they had to include the london boroughs, lolololol it still showed nottingham as crime ridden
h

#99 ·
Loving them pics liamkm. That one with the side view of the Vicky centre, with the council house and countryside in the background is ace. Just shows how much of an impact Vicky Centre flats have, and they always look better from the side.

PS bob get a grip, noones saying Nottingham's perfect, everyone thats replied to you has been realistic - your the one that's not.

#100 ·
bantam said:
Loving them pics liamkm. That one with the side view of the Vicky centre, with the council house and countryside in the background is ace. Just shows how much of an impact Vicky Centre flats have, and they always look better from the side
Agreed. I always think the Vic Centre looks pretty impressive from Woodborough Road, just looks huge. Where were the shots of the Radford flats taken from?

I wouldnt take bob too seriously people. He slags notts off here but then goes on other city threads and says how shit they are compared to nottingham. He's pissed a lot of people off doin that.