162K views 1K replies 86 participants last post by  PeteB 
#1 · (Edited)
Eastside City

Regen Zone: Eastside
Developer: Eastside and City
Architects: Hopkins Architects
Cost: £900m+
Size 269,391 m²
Use: Office (130,954 m²), Residential (122,549 m²), Retail (11,777 m²), Leisure (4,081 m²).

Links:
SSC Thread
Official Website
New Nottingham Page
Hopkins Architects
BWB Consultants
Planning Application

Notes:
The former Boots HQ is set to become one of the largest regeneration projects in the country.
The Eastside City Development site is a 42 Acre site with almost 3 million sq ft (270,000 sq m)
of high-quality, and innovative mixed use space. The site will become Nottingham’s Business
Quarters with 1.5 million sqft of new office space. There will also be 1.5m sqft of stylish new
homes, shops, bars, restaurants, car parking and leisure facilities. The total development is
valued at £900m. The project will have an extremely big impact on the economy of Nottingham.

All buildings (apart from the listed warehouse buildings) have been demolished in preparation
for construction. Construction was expected to start in 2005 however because of the delays
construction is not expect to start until towards the end of this year

Rising architect Thomas Heatherwick has unveiled his landscape plans for the water feature
within the eastside. This area will be one of the most impressive public spaces in the country.
The regeneration plans also include a number of other public areas.

This will be the first phase of the plans for Eastside and City. Future plans include the
redevelopment of Sneinton market and also the bus stations and other buildings across
from the National Ice Arena.

Current Status:
Demolition has taken place to prepare the site for the first phases. The plans have been approved
in principle however the City Council and Developers are currently negotiating a section 106
agreement. Negotiations have been taking place for a year now however the council has informed
us that an agreement is imminent. We could see work on the first phase of the project begin at
this end of this year or early 2008.

See less See more
#374 · (Edited)
New Render

- Tower is 24 storeys

- Hotel is 14 storeys

- Majority of buildings range between 8 - 10 storeys

- 2 large open spaces including a linear park

- 630,000 Sqft of office space

- 907 residential units

- 194 room hotel

- 666 student units

Currently in Italy so I will post more on my return

#376 ·
Goodness me, that's spectacular. If we got our heads together on here and brainstormed what we would like for the site, this would be more or less it.

The linear city park
The open plazas
The height and density
The total restoration of the warehouse!
They've even managed to clean up the canal and are apparently hiring out jetskis down there.

I find it almost incomprehensible that this will be built according to these plans, but I'm enjoying looking at them.

#382 ·
I like the style they’re going for, especially the use of bricks and the roof gardens.

Though personally it looks a little too urban. I think replacing one or two of the buildings in the centre with an open space would break it up a bit.

That said, it’s much better than I would have anticipated after the last few fell through.

#388 ·
I really this is proposal but just think lessons have NOT been learnt from the original failure.

The original was overly ambitious, to high in density and to reliant on commercial aspects like office space and hotels. What has been learned ? pretty much nothing as this is the same scheme with a new architect...

Lets get the density right, increase the focus on residential and learn from, not repeat from previous mistakes!

#390 ·
I don't think the two schemes are comparable. The ISIS scheme relied on a huge basin of water, and was more Monaco than Nottingham.

This scheme, whilst admittedly huge, is actually quite modest in design. From what I can tell, the style of apartments aren't dissimilar to those at Trent Basin or some of the others going on around the Station, it's just that there's just a lot of them.

And there's obviously a lot of office space too, but it's well documented that Nottingham lacks office space.

I still can't see this being built in its entirety, but there's nothing here that makes me think they're being ridiculous and I can't believe anyone's talking it down. Loads of people coming to live in the city, bringing with them their disposable income and driving up demand for leisure and retail is exactly what we want!

#391 ·
I like these latest proposals very much. Good size, decent massing and vastly improved public realm. As with lots of these things, it's about the quality of the materials and finish which can elevate it or bring it right down, but the designs look good at first glance. Fingers crossed it goes ahead and isn't watered down too much (pun intended).

#392 · (Edited)
Thought I'd provide a more in-depth look:

NOTTINGHAM | Island Site | Pro

Cost - £500 million

Space - 2.9 Million Sqft

Use - Mixed Use

Developer - Conygar Investment + Lavignac Securities

Architect - Leslie Jones

Expected Start Date - 2019

View Points

James Alexander Park

Poplar Square

Residential Tower

Waterfront Terrace

Materials

Renders

#401 ·
Thought I'd provide a more in-depth look:

NOTTINGHAM | Island Site | Pro

Cost - £500 million

Space - 2.9 Million Sqft

Use - Mixed Use

Developer - Conygar Investment + Lavignac Securities

Architect - Leslie Jones

Expected Start Date - 2019

View Points

James Alexander Park

If this gets build and the below scheme also goes ahead, this part of the city centre will have a real sense of density which Nottingham has not seen before. Looking forward to it already :cheers:

#393 ·
We can but dream...
Broadmarsh is still going to be a sh*t tip but this could be amazing. Worried about how retail/social scene would survive on a site that has no actual continuation from the city centre though, although hopefully the new population might go some way towards sustaining it.

#395 ·
Which often struggle... It's the clear separation of this area from the city centre that troubles me - it is unlikely to become a destination unless there are significant draws to it - most likely whatever goes into the old warehouses. The route to the East Side site from the city centre is pretty awkward and not obvious to people who are unfamiliar with Nottingham.

Will be interesting to see how they intent to market this to occupants - particularly the office space

#397 ·
Popped along to that consultation at lunch time, Nothing much new but the things I learnt by speaking to them are (note not direct quotes so some of the terms I've used may be inaccurate, but the jist is correct)

* The buildings will be heated from Eastcroft as part of Phase 3 of the district heating scheme
* 60/50,000sq ft of the office developments will be built speculatively - local agents have demand and lots of company relocation's look at Nottingham but choose elsewhere due to lack of currently available space. The rest of the 500/600,000sq ft (IIRC) would follow subject to demand - they also implied that the reason the city lost Channel 4 was the lack of available Grade A office space.
* Subject to agreements (agreed in principle) with neighbouring development and the Canal and Rivers Trust the canal basin will have a stepped embankment (sounds like Vic Embankment) leading to a plaza and a pedestrian path leading towards the BBC Island and city
* Subject to agreements and planning permission (agreed in principle) the Virgin Active entrance will be straight onto the Plaza, the car park being moved behind the gym (opposite the train depot) and accessed from Manvers Street. This means the bridge towards station street would be pedestrianised to improve pedestrian connectivity with the station.
* Some of the housing (towards where Gem 106 is) would actually open directly onto the street (i.e. houses not just apartments), with the bit nearest Lower Eldon Street being student accomodation
* The two warehouses will be kept and be done similar to the "Festival Markets" in the US, a first for the UK, with the nearest in the UK being Altrincham Market apparently. Aimed at newer business incubator and short term lets (no 3 - 5 year lets like at Sneinton Market - can't quite remember the details but the person in charge of that will be managing this bit) - aiming to attract seasonal companies, no high street chains, and working with, primarily, NTU and Confetti and also UoN and Nottingham College (the latter IIRC)
* The development will be car free with all the parking provided at the periphery
* The whole development (outside bits) will be public realm with nothing block off to open the site up
* Subject to approval of outline planning permission they hope the first phase detailed planning permission will be approved next summer with spades in ground Q4 2019. Indications are this will be the bit nearest the Canal Basin but vague at this time
* Whole development will take 10 years, and cost between £600million and £900million. £6 of that on burying the gas pipe.
* The make up of the development (Residential, Student, Grade A Office, Hotel, Market) are based on what the City Council want and local agents have indicated there is demand for.