SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NOTTINGHAM | Broad Marsh- Green Heart Urban Park | U/C

1M views 10K replies 223 participants last post by  pharmj 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
** For context- since this thread was started, the global market crash in 2010 and COVID pandemic caused both retail-led schemes to collapse. This area is now to be split into different development parcels with the former shopping centre partially demolished. As of 2024, the new Broad Marsh library and car park have been delivered and a new urban park called the Green Heart is under construction. The old threads prior to this have been preserved for context and historical record**

Broadmarsh Shopping Centre

Regen Zone: Southside
Developer: Westfield
Architects: ?
Cost:: £700m
Size: 136,000m²
Use:: Retail (136,000m²)

Links:
SSC Thread
Westfield
New Nottingham Page
Planning Application

Notes:
Westfield plan to triple the size of the existing Broadmarsh centre. The development will come
in a street like form and will be pure retail. It will contain 2 new department stores, a number
other large anchors, a supermarket, a new food court, rooftop parking, a number of open spaces,
and arcades. The aim is to open up spaces around the existing centre by demolishing the two
multi-storey car parks and removing the 'wall' that visitors see as soon as they turn out of
Nottingham's train station. This is designed to draw people in to the city centre and open up views
of the area.

The plan was first submitted in 2001. After brief consultation retailers told Westfield mezzanine
floor were required. This resulted in Westfield revising the 120,000m² application to 136,000m².
and increasing the height of buildings by 9m. Upon completion Broadmarsh will be the largest
city centre shopping mall outside of London.

Current Status:
Nottingham City Council accepted the planning application in April 2007. Anchors M&S and
Debenhams have agreed heads of terms. No construction/demolition has taken place as of yet.

The image below is the latest render to be released by Broadmarsh. Actual exteriors of buildings
are likely to be determined by the demands of the anchor storeholder. The planning application
clearly states that flagship stores (especially the one on the west side) will be an architectural
statement in themself.

This is what the centre looks like now! GOOD RIDDENCE!!

See less See more
#69 ·
To be fair if that was Selfridges plans 4years ago, a lot can change. Debenhams business has suffered majorly over the last couple of years as well, all department stores are as the british retail pattern changes.

Marks and Spencer to us may seem old, but they were one of the only department stores this financial year to turn around a sizeable loss into a respectable profit. I would say they will almost definately take space in the new centre. I think River Island and Topman/Shop are doubtful, since they have both opened new concept stores in the city within the last year anyway.

There are plenty of companies large and small that could have their 1st store/2nd store in Nottingham, such as:

Blackwells Books
Mothercare
Waitrose
Beatties (large chain now part of the house of frasier group i think)
TJ Hughes (large northern department store chain)
United Colors of Benneton
Nike
Adidas
Pilot
Quicksilver
Gucci
Animal clothing
WHsmith
Next
Boots
HMV
BHS
Argos
Apple computers
...plus all the retailers in the centre already apart from TKmaxx and loads more. I dont think westfield will have any problem filling this mall...i do however think the Victoria Centre could suffer as a result

#70 ·
Fenwick are ure all round department store, selling furniture, men and womens clothes and accessories, perfumes, sports clothes, equipment, toys, oranament, you name it pretty much.

They have some quite prestigious addresses though, including Bond Street, London, as well as Leicester...no disrespect to leicester, hehe

#72 ·
Pharmj, Do you think Marks and Spencers are more likely than Debenhams to take up space in the store?? From what I understand, yes marks and spencers had one of the biggest turnarounds in the last few years... however... they are already very close to the centre...they're in a prime location...? The only thing that may temp them is the opportunity to consolidate as binge said... well thats what I think?

I think Debenhams are the most certain? The position of their current store cannot be doing them any favors. They don't seem like the most successful business in Nottingham lately either so these big cash incentives will probably be a big pull...

I would love to see an Apple computers though. Apple have a strong business model, however they only move into high quality space... I'm sure Broadmarsh will do the job. They may want to open up before then though.

One last thing...On the point of Victora Centre.... We all know Broadmarsh is going to be the bigger and more attractive centre but Victoria Centre is not really in that bad a position... Its right next to what is currently the biggest shopping street in Nottingham... secondly the Trinity Square development will continue pull people up that side of town. Internally.. its not a bad centre, nice looking (I just think they need to change the floor tiling, and the look of some of those lifts), its got 2 big departments stores (HOF, and John Lewis, which is increasing by 50% supposedly), a very big Boots, a very big Next and a supermarket.... I think... if the boys who run VC sort out the floor tilling, and sort out that horrible exterior than they will definitely minimize their losses...

Also... I would expect John Lewis to be pushing for a reclad with their new fancy store policy.

One last thing... I remember reading the interview with a John Lewis big boy when they was talking about doing the refurbishment that will give them 50% more space... well in the interview they was talking about when Nottingham will be getting a waitrose... from what I remember... John Lewis want to open up a waitrose down here...when? I'm not sure... I think they was looking for sites however I read this a long time ago...Can't remember exactly what it said.

#73 ·
Westfield Derby

For all you people interested in the future Broadmash and what it might be like here's whats happening in Westfield Derby.

Westfield Derby isn't finished yet but so far some bits look good and others don't. The car par on top looks cheap (hopefully its not finished) and the big silver box housing the cinema is far too big and out of proportion, apparently you can see it from space! The curved outsides of the M&S and Debenhams department stores look ok but lets face it any improvement on the Eagle Centre is going to be better. The best part of the new centre is at last Derby is getting some decent stores http://westfield.com/eaglecentre/centreupgrade/Anewshoppingexperience.html but most are for women.

I'm looking forward to seeing inside when it opens in October but remeber don't believe all you see on those nice shiney CGI renders.

#75 ·
taking into account everything that has been said by all of you lot.......

i want this to turn out brilliantly of course. it's such a crucial location for the city - that's probably the single most important and obvious point about broadmarsh.

as i've said a million time the main thing for me is that it links the city together in a vibrant, interesting and natural way making full use of it's surroundings....blahblahblah

the thing is - does the city really need the HUGE retail capacity that it will have with the proposed new broadmarsh, bearing in mind trinity square etc. i think bingethink has hit many nails squarely on the head when he/she has been on about mixed-use developments rather than pure retail. i am very concerned about the possibility of this becoming another faceless mall, despite the plans for arcades and open walkways rather than enclosed spaces. let's hope westfield take a good look at the pod and have a potter about in naples or valencia (for inspiration and examples of great urban environments that blend old and new) before making any final decisions.

of course - anyone developing this site should absolutely NOT try to copy any ideas from anywhere else as the site is unique and needs it's own uniqe solutions.

i'd like to see an apple store in town - broadmarsh should be the spot - maybe trinity square. would be mighty useful that. whoever said debenhams should become a hotel - brilliant! spot on. great building in a great location

cant remember the rest of my points dammit

#76 ·
On the point of whether we need this? In order to remain up top in the rankings I think we do... Also... Nottingham's slowly falling behind and falling outta of the public eye...loosing our popularity (not just shopping wise)... I think retail could be that thing that holds us up while we sort everything else out... (businesses, cultural stuff etc)

#78 ·
Well this is the stuff they're doing in london...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=245532&page=5

One big "luxury" shopping centre. They're going to have this luxury part to the mall which will have lots of big names, armarnis, luis vuitten etc... valet parking? Many londoners are complaining that it dosn't meet the needs of the local community....

LOOK AT ALL THESE CRANES!!!

#1,262 ·
August 12th, 2007

Sadly, the development landscape has completely shifted.

I think you are deluded if you believe Westfield will build anything other than a big mall. It's what they do. Even in more prestigous locations than Nottingham. i.e. London/Stratford, they have plonked massive mall's.

Why? They are relatively cheap to construct, they can maximise space, they can control the area and get most return. That is the plan for Nottingham.. and even that won't happen for at least another year.

Not really sure how you go about changing that? Westfield will not build you Nottingham One.

#80 ·
Some interesting stats on sizes... I read through the planning application and found Broadmarsh will be 136,000 m², making us the second largest city centre shopping centre in the UK.

I've sat for the the last hour gathering these statistics!

Regional Centres
165,362 m² - MetroCentre, Gateshed (Bare in mind this has an arena, shopping centre and allsorts inside)
166,000 m² - Central Milton Keynes Centre (Includes market)
123,644 m² - Lakeside Shopping Centre (Thurrock) (Includes cinema, driving school, allsorts)
154,000 m² - BlueWater - Kent (Includes a cinema)
131,922 m² - Meadowhall (Includes a cinema)

City Centre Centres

150,000 m² - Westfield London
136,000 m² - Broadmarsh Redevelopment (Retail Only, Currently 45,000m²)
130,060 m² - Arndale Centre - Manchester
129,561 m² - St Davids Expansion Cardif
116,128 m² - Eastgate Quarters Leeds (Not a shopping centre as such but I thought i'd include it anyway.
118,766 m² - Trafford Centre (Includes Cinema)
110,000 m² - Bullring Birmingham (Retail Only)
100,000 m² - Shires Leicester (Includes Cinema)
100,000 m² - Westfield Derby
98,470 m² - Braehead Glasgow
92,903 m² - Bristol's Broadmeed (Includes Cinema)
92,440 m² - The Mall Bristol
91,135 m² - Victoria Shopping Centre
81,800m² - Brent Cross, London

#81 ·
These we're the minutes from the approval in april.. pay attention to the section 106 agreements....

170 BROADMARSH SHOPPING COMPLEX AND LAND BOUNDED BY MAID MARIAN WAY (WEST), CANAL STREET (SOUTH) AND POPHAM COURT, CLIFF ROAD AND MIDDLE HILL (EAST)

Further to minute 370 dated 20 November 2002, consideration was given to a report of the Services Director (Planning, Transport and Highways), copies of which had been circulated, on application 07/00117/PVAR3, submitted by Indigo Planning, on behalf of Westfield Shoppingtowns Limited, for permission for variation of Conditions 4, 5 and 15 of planning permission 02/01261/POUT, to enable an increase in floor space from 121,000 to 136,000 square metres, increase the height of the proposed buildings by up to 9.5 metres in places and to modify the access arrangements to the car park on the west side of Middle Hill.

Councillor Cowan proposed the following motion:-

‘The developer be advised that the Committee was minded to agree to the height and floor space increase on the understanding that the final elevations were put forward.’

When put to the vote, the motion was defeated.

Councillor Cowan requested that his vote in favour of the motion be recorded.

RESOLVED

(1) that the requirements of Part II of Schedule 4 to the Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations 1999 were satisfied by reason of the Environmental Statement including at least the following information:-

(a) a description of the development comprising information on the site, design and size of the development;

(b) a description of the measures envisaged in order to avoid, reduce and, if possible remedy significant adverse effects;

(c) the data required to identify and assess the main effects which the proposed changes to the approved scheme were likely to have on the environment;

(d) an outline of the main alternatives studied by the applicant and an indication of the main reasons for these, taking into account the environmental effects;

(e) a non-technical summary of the information provided under (a) to (d) above;

(2) that the implications of the development addressed in the Environmental Statement and the mitigation measures proposed did not amount to adverse effects or main effects;

(3) that there has been taken into account, in determining this application, the environmental information, being the Environmental Statement, and that this material met the minimum requirements of Part II of Schedule 4 to the Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations 1999 and was sufficient having regard to part 1 of Schedule 4 to those Regulations;

(4) that Regulation 21(1) of the Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations 1999 be complied with as soon as reasonably practical and the Services Director (Planning, Transport and Highways) be authorised to undertake the necessary requirements, namely to notify the decision to the Secretary of State, advertise notification of the decision in newspapers and place on deposit for public inspection a statement containing the content of the decision, the main reasons and consideration on which the decision was based and a description, where necessary, of the main measures to avoid, reduce and, if possible offset the major adverse effects of the development;

(5) that the application be referred to the Secretary of State, under the Shopping Direction, with the advice that the City Council was minded to grant planning permission;
(6) that, subject to the application not being called in for determination by the Secretary of State, the applicant enter into a Deed of Variation of the existing agreement under Section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 to secure the following matters negotiated under the grant of the previous planning permission 02/01261/POUT:-

(a) highway works to be undertaken, including the closure of Collin Street, the realignment of Middle Hill and the new junction of Maid Marian Way with Canal Street, and the new bus station in Broad Marsh East, with access from Canal Street to be provided;

(b) a financial contribution for environmental improvements in the Cliff Road housing area adjacent to the development;

(c) a financial contribution for improvements to streets and spaces elsewhere in the City Centre;

(d) measures to encourage sustainable building design, methods and working practices within the development;

(e) introduction of cycle storage and ancillary facilities to encourage sustainable transport use by employees and visitors;

(f) promotion of training and employment opportunities for local people from deprived Wards in the City;

(g) securing the street-like character of the north-south route, preventing the introduction of structures and/or uses which would undermine its function as a public street;

(h) provision of additional closed circuit television to streets around the development;

(i) provision of a Variable Message Signing system to facilitate efficient car park occupancy, minimising car park queues and the provision of traffic wardens to manage car park queues during peak periods;

(7) that, subject to the Secretary of State not calling in the application and completion of the Deed of Variation in (6) above, permission to vary Conditions 4, 5 and 15 of planning permission 02/01261/POUT be granted, subject to conditions or planning obligations to include the following areas, and the Services Director (Planning, Transport and Highways) be authorised to determine the details of such conditions:-

7-year time condition for implementation;
Reserved matters including reference to development parameters and design
principles;
Details of phasing;
Highway works;
Details of bus station;
Provision of NET stop;
Shopmobility;
Method statements for the construction period;
Details of landscaping, surfacing, disabled access, external lighting, external plant and equipment;
Details of design, layout, and artwork for public spaces;
Details of scheme to deal with contamination;
Details of access serving the caves;
24-hour access along north-south route and to public spaces associated withthe development;
Archaeology;
Nature conservation;
Landscaping and public art;
Car park management.

#82 ·
Wow dan, those stats must have taken ages to gather up...though it does put the project into some persepective! It does make me question whether maybe Westfield are being slightly ambititious making this only retail though. I do think another attraction to the centre would make it a lot more appealing to both customers and tenants.

I must admit, what with it being late, I read the minutes you posted above, and Im not too sure what im reading! What does it mean by varying the section 106? Does that mean this could be referred to the goverment for final approval?

#83 ·
I must admit, what with it being late, I read the minutes you posted above, and Im not too sure what im reading! What does it mean by varying the section 106? Does that mean this could be referred to the goverment for final approval?
I'm not actually sure... I think this has to go to the government anyway for final approval... well thats what the post said.. maybe thats whats holding them up?

#84 ·
If it is then its no surprise its taken so long....the goverment do not act quickly. For a lot of smaller developments, refferal to the government kills the development off completely. I cant imagine the change of cabinet and staff in London has helped this process either. I would imagine Westfield are used to this though.

It always strikes me as stupid however, that they feel people in offices in London can make a decision about the future of Nottingham better than the city's own residents, workers and council...daft!

#86 ·
Ah right, oh thats not so bad then. In Gloucester, our waterways regeneration scheme was approved by Gloucester City Council and Gov Office for the South West, but was then called to London to the Office for the Deputy Prime Minister (though I believe there is another senior minister who now deals with it)...thats when the development really hits the buffers for a while. I cant see the GOEM delaying it too much...fingers crossed...

#87 ·
Found this on the net too

Property Breakfast

Nottingham's answer to Birmingham's Bullring is its £400m Broadmarsh redevelopment. The man behind the scheme updated leading property players on its progress at our breakfast at Nottingham's Royal Moat House Hotel
read on....

BULLRING IN THE EAST

Nottingham's answer to Birmingham's Bullring is its £400m Broadmarsh redevelopment. The man behind the scheme updated leading property players on its progress at our breakfast at Nottingham's Royal Moat House Hotel
As David Leonard, head of design at global shopping centre player Westfield, and the man driving forward the redevelopment of Nottingham's historic Broadmarsh centre, began by reminding us, these are very exciting times in the regeneration game.

"It is great to see all our cities regenerating, often on the back of retail and city centre living. There is a ripple effect being felt up and down the country."

Leonard's employer is one of those causing the ripples. Australian giant Westfield made clear its confidence in the UK retail industry when it snapped up a string of UK shopping centres in 2000, including Derby's Eagle Centre and Broadmarsh in the East Midlands.

Leonard added: "Westfield regards the UK economy as a very strong one where retail sales are very strong and where we have seen real growth of 4 per cent per year for the last eight years. More recently the UK has been averaging 5 per cent growth plus over the last few years. This is the positive message that Westfield are telling to analysts around the globe."

Westfield will actually kick off its plans in the UK with the redevelopment of the Eagle Centre in Derby, which is due to go on site later this year. Other planning permissions gained in the UK include Swindon's Brunel Centre and the redevelopment of Guildford's shopping offer.

But Broadmarsh is clearly one of the prize schemes, being as it is one of the biggest retail developments in the UK (indeed even slightly bigger than the Bullring when completed).

Little wonder when the main catchment area for Nottingham is just over 500,000 people, while there is a total catchment of almost a million people within a 20km radius of the city centre. "Retail spending is £4.1bn a year in the catchment area, spend per head is slightly higher than the UK average, and unemployment is extremely low. The fundamentals are excellent."

Leonard added that he didn't foresee any clash between Westfield's proposals for Derby and Nottingham. "It is interesting to see how the catchment areas of Derby and Nottingham work. The M1 is a real physical divide between the two. Only 5 per cent of people who go shopping in Nottingham live within the Derby catchment area, while only 7 per cent of Derby customers live within the Nottingham catchment. There is a fairly small overlap."

However, despite Nottingham's well-known credentials as a retail mecca, Leonard said there was no room for complacency given the extent to which other cities have considerably raised their game in recent years.

"If you look at the current UK rankings by Experian, Nottingham comes out as the fifth-best retail destination. However, only three years ago it was coming third and other cities such as Birmingham have been big risers. It shows why and how all our cities need to keep on their toes and ensure retail, living and work offers are attractive to people because we are all so very mobile nowadays. Competition is increasing all the time."

Leonard, who joined Westfield four years ago after cutting his teeth with Benoy Architects and working on schemes such as Brindleyplace and the Bullring in Birmingham and Bluewater in Kent, said he planned to take Broadmarsh up from its present 50,000 sq m retail space to 120,000 sq m. On top of that the firm would build 3,000 car park spaces, a new bus station and a tram interchange to connect with Nottingham's new tram network.

Leonard added that the scheme would also help cement the city's north-south retail offer. "Before the industrial revolution the street plan was east-west in the city. When the Victorians came along they made the canal out of marsh, put in railway stations in the south and north and manufactured strong north-south routes, creating more of a grid. With this development we can see Nottingham becoming a very neat diagram with a strong commercial retail core running north to south, while its cultural trail runs from east to west."

However, Leonard conceded that the challenges faced in developing a 26-acre slice of a city centre were huge. "There is a lot that needs to be done to the south side of the city to allow the full regeneration potential of the south to happen. The first thing is to clear much of the site around the Broadmarsh and sort the road system out. It is one of the worst stretches of road that we all know."

Another major cornerstone of the work will involve unblocking Listergate. "There is a lot in the way. We need to relocate some of the units and stores there to allow the whole area to open up properly. One of the most important things for us to do is to re-engage the canal and the railway station back through Listergate and up to Market Square. Bringing that north-south route back into play is one of the main aspirations of the city council for the whole redevelopment of the area."

However, the timetable for reaching those aspirations has been put back. Leonard revealed under questioning from the audience that after gaining outline planning permission for the scheme in December 2002 he had originally hoped to get a date for a compulsory purchase order (CPO)/road closure inquiry by this summer, but now said that a date towards the end of year was more realistic. "Once we all get through that we can get on site in 2005. At the moment we are in that hiatus period of dealing with CPOs and road closures. Once that is all through it all becomes much more real."

In terms of content one can expect many of the features of the Bullring to be incorporated into the scheme, Leonard added. Aside from features such as glass roofs and the fact that the site slopes significantly - just like the Bullring - there is of course the subject of an iconic building in the mould of a Selfridges. One of the site's two main department stores will be based in the landmark south west corner of the scheme.

"This new store is one of the most important pieces within the jigsaw of the whole design with the intention to create a really prominent landmark," said Leonard. "It will be side on to a new public space and will be seen from both the Castle, when driving by, and when walking from the railway station. It will also be designed so that it catches sunlight most of the day." When later asked if the building could be as iconic as the Bullring Selfridges, Leonard replied: "There is absolutely no reason why not."

#88 ·
While he does praise the scheme left right and centre, as u would expect him to, this Leonard guy still remains very cagey about the actual fundamentals of the project. Is this a recent article? It seems to only mention up until 2005...nothing since~?

#90 ·
ahh i see,..now it makes more sense! Its good to see one of the major players has history with large scale sucessful malls like bullring and bluewater, and he seems to have a good knowledge of the local area. Im amazed that more people dont travel to Nottingham from Derby given how close we are. I wonder if they go to Birmingham more for shopping, since the retail in Derby was not good, at least before Eagle centre was started anyway.

#92 ·
Lol unless he's on about the conrete.. and its reputation as one of notts worst...? I hope he's on about the actual old broad marshland

ahh i see,..now it makes more sense! Its good to see one of the major players has history with large scale sucessful malls like bullring and bluewater, and he seems to have a good knowledge of the local area. Im amazed that more people dont travel to Nottingham from Derby given how close we are. I wonder if they go to Birmingham more for shopping, since the retail in Derby was not good, at least before Eagle centre was started anyway.
I thought the Derby stats are weird too... I am actually interested to find out how many shop in Notts from Leicester? I guess they'd go to the Bullring instead?

I'm also glad that emphasis has again been put on this iconic west department store.