SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NOTTINGHAM | Innovation Park - Jubliee Campus | U/C

69K views 440 replies 55 participants last post by  goosewing 
#1 · (Edited)
University of Nottingham - Innovation Park (Jubilee Campus)

Regen Zone: University Campus
Developer: University of Nottingham
Architects: MAKE Architects
Cost:: £129m
Use:: University Spin of Companies, Education

Links:
SSC Page
New Nottingham Page
Official Website

Notes:
Make's masterplan for the University of Nottingham Jubilee Campus will extend and enhance existing
facilities to offer students and staff the optimum environment for research, study and leisure.

The masterplan creates a new lateral route through the campus in the form of a generous landscaped
pedestrian boulevard that links two bodies of water at opposite sides of the site, drawing the theme of
nature through the area and providing a focus for leisure activities. International House and the Amenities
Building house faculties and teaching rooms and catering and fitness facilities respectively, and are sited
in the western academic zone of the campus.

These structures rise from the ground plane like natural landforms, an effect heightened by their cladding
system which consists of terracotta tiles arranged in bands like geological strata. A third structure, the
rounded, metallic shingle-clad Gateway building, houses a range of facilities for new businesses, and
straddles the main campus road to link the two halves of the site.

Current Status:
The Project is currently in construction. Triumph road will be closed until the end of the year to allow the
suspension of the building over the road.

See less See more
#140 ·
It is quite pathetic when you consider Demontfort University is spending in the region of 150million with 5 years of development. Several new halls of residence have been built, a new student union, a new performing arts building and a new business and law department is being built. As well as this many other departments are rebuilding. The library is even expanding.

Leicester University has spent £30million alone on upgrading their library.

#139 ·
£29m? Pathetic? That £29m has given us...

- The tallest piece of freestanding art in the UK
- An extension to a current campus with some world class architecture?
- Negotiations to take full ownership of the Triumphs road site...

I really can't see whats pathetic about that? Am I missing something? Are other unis spendings 100's of millions each year or something?

#142 ·
Yeah..I meant pathetic in comparison to other uni'. Manchester is pumping half a billion pounds into the university over the next few years. It has built new buildings for almost all academic departments, whereas Nottingham has just built a new business building (jubilee). Nottingham really has to start spending more if it is to compete with mammoth universities like Manchester,

#143 ·
Well Nottingham has actually spent hundreds of millions on its campuses in Malaysia and China, which no other university in the western world can offer. Almost all students at nottingham will be able to study at those and other campuses for almost all their degrees if they choose. Also, Nottingham isnt full of crappy 60s architechture like so many other unis...a lot of the main campus is pretty historic and more than good enough.

Jubilee is going to be massive when its done, its just that notts has split it over 4-5 phases, so it doesnt seem as mammoth. The first three phases alone have cost about 140million!

#145 ·
They actually only spent 11 million pounds on the Malaysian Campus, and 40 m on the Chinese - so no they didn't spend THAT much. I read on the Nottingham website they will be spending 200 million on the Jubilee campus; does that include the 50 and 29 million pounds already spent?

#144 ·
The University of Nottingham is one of the top Universities in the world. I'm quite sure they are well aware of what they need to do to compete in their sector. Many of the things other places are building are feature the university already has. Arts centre, green campus, top quality research, etc

#151 ·
the subject i used to study had its subject closed at de montford because they were passsing people with averages of 30%. Nottingham university on the other hand is number one for the same subject in the UK...as far as i was concerned, it was not a choice that took very long.

Nottingham University is rated 70th in the whole world overall,and has 26 departments rated at 5/5* (internationally excellent quality, alongside a record £150million research for a single academic year. While Nottingham is consistantly in the top 15 of the UK, De Montford is 97th this year.

Go back to Leicester if you like it so much.

#152 ·
plus you criticise nottingham's spending...de montford on their own website say they have invested £187million since 2000. While this is impressive for a smaller university, its still only £23million...for a uni with so many campuses as you say, that seems low to me?

#153 ·
If you want to see good Universities in Leicestershire you have Leicester University which is ranked 4th in the midlands and Loughborough which is ranked 2nd in the midlands. These are Univerities which you can compare to Nottingham University.

As for amount spent, the money spent on De Montfort University students doesn't include the private investment in student accommodation. 4-5 new halls of residences have been completed. I will admit I wish I went to another University because of a new experience however I don't believe De Montfort University deserves the stick it gets. The business department certainly doesn't.

Anyways back to the topic. Nottingham University does appear to have some stunning architecture. I would be very happy if I was at Nottingham University with the development.

#157 ·
manchester is bigger than nottingham by about 6000 students though, and is in UKs second biggest city, so its hardly surprising! I think being the only university of a foreign country with an established campus in China awarding Nottingham degrees is going to pay dividends to the university in the future anyway, so this debate will be academic (excuse the pun).

Nottingham is currently taking ownership of the land where British Gas has its cylinders, also interested in the tobacco storage site and want to buy the land running up to Derby Road as well. This would treble the size of Jubilee campus, so if thats no ambitious, im not sure what is. I think maybe the uni is a just a little more conservative about throwing figures of cost around...and prefers to do development in separate phases.

#161 ·
Im not sure for specifically what..as i said, the Uni is cagey about developments, and releases details as and when kind of thing. I heard that British Gas are seemigly happy to sell up though, and with the new student village shooting up on the Chettles site over the road, this would really be ideal.

#165 ·
I would have thought it would be open predominantly for Nottingham Uni given thats its practically over the road. It wouldnt be that convenient for Notts Trent really. St Peters Court and Raleigh park are all Notts uni, and both have also seen massive expansion recently, alongside the new Riverside Point on Derby Road, also run by Unite.

I think these are all be done in readiness for the rapid expansion of the Jubilee campus, and to reflect that students are now less willing to go into catered accomodation

#166 ·
Some more good news from Nottingham University:

Work starts on £9m satellite centre in Nottingham
A Ground-breaking ceremony takes place tomorrow to signal the start of work on a £9m state-of-the-art facility in Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) at the University of Nottingham.

The project combines a grant of £3.4m from East Midlands Development Agency with university investment to develop the facility on the University of Nottingham Innovation Park adjacent to the Jubilee Campus. The GNSS Research and Applications Centre of Excellence (GRACE) will focus on the growth in applications for satellite navigation and positioning systems such as the American Global Positioning System (GPS) and the European Galileo system.

The research centre will build on Nottingham's reputation as one of the fastest growing scientific centres in the country.

It will combine the global renown of cutting-edge research and high calibre teaching in the Institute of Engineering Surveying and Space Geodesy and the Centre for Geospatial Science.

They will provide research, training and other support for industry, including small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and entrepreneurs.

Prof Bob Webb, pro-vice-chancellor for research, said: "It provides an excellent example of how cutting-edge research, of international importance, will be taken through to application.

"This will be of significant benefit both to the region and to the UK."
The hoardings for this have already gone up. Its due to go alongside the Gateway Building, which is the one that spans the Triumph Road. Another excellent addition to the University, and a good boost for Nottingham's Science status.

#170 · (Edited)
Ok this is somethign that really annoys me.

Does anyone else think that phase one of jubilee is just completely the wrong way around?

the lake should be on the other side so that it would now be central to the new campus, creating a grand feature with aspire next to it.

I think its a serious lack of forward planning. Yes the lake would have been a bit strange for 9 years, but now its just all out of position.

The lack of master planning is so annoying and the new buildings are tacked on as afterthoughts. The extension of the business school in 2004 (?) exemplifies this. The wonky lines of the new car park are also an example. And whats the bit of land with the old changing rooms all about at the bottom end? Is it still council owned?

I really think they have made a mess of it when it could have been truly excellent.

While i'm at it, phase one is a disaster. The toilets are disgusting, the rooms are small and cramped and badly lit - too dark or too light. Similarly in summer its like a greenhouse, in winter its freezing. And when it rains it leaks everywhere - you see buckets inside and cordoned off areas. Fittings in rooms are broken on the windowsthe floors are creaking and its all too small.

The new Business School South extension recifies all the problems of the original design, but it doesnt fit in to the original achitecture, its merely an imitation.

Rant over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.