SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NOTTINGHAM | £400m Extension of the Tram Network | Working Parking Levy | Future Networks

605K views 3K replies 171 participants last post by  Jozhua5000 
#1 ·
I set this thread up to talk about 4 things...

1. The New Tram Network
2. Future Tram Lines
3. The Working Parking Levy
4. And and interesting concept of Tram-Trains that i'm going to talk about in a minute.

As you all know, Nottinghams expanding its tram network with an additional 2 lines costing £400m

Net Phase 2 Website
Detailed Route to Chilwell
Detailed Root to Clifton

The Route...

I think the points below from this thread could make an interesting discussion.

I just found a thread about this concept the government wants to try out of Tram-Trains. The info abot tram trains are in the thread above. To sum it up, Tram Trains are trams that can run on the normal train lines. I think they'll travel at higher speeds, I was just asking about the differences between them and our network and got this response.

Just read the list of developments in NG on the East Mids forum and I very impressed.

I used to live in Beeston, as if that qualifies my comments!!

The trams used on the NET would be different from any tram-train.The latter is a hybrid between light rail (trams) and heavy rail (erm trains).

A tram-train could use both tram and train lines.The best examples is in Karlsruhe I believe.

I remember getting into a conversation in Nottingham from someone from the PTE in 2000.

They said they wanted to see how the tram network went first before thinking about a tram-train network. he identified the Robin Hood line to mansfield, a route from Ilkeston (Ilk'stun eh!). maybe to the Airport and certainly out west to Netherfield and beyond.

There is some disused lines around Nottingham that could be used, but I think any TnT in NG would use existing lines, with new stations eg Radford.

Tram Trains in Nottingham ayy? Reinstating the old train networks, and running out to manchester. I think that'd be a great idea.

See less See more
#173 ·
I still think there are issues that need to be addressed. I think more should be exempt.

Imagine a single mother who has to take her child to school for 8.45am in Arnold but then be at work down in colwick business park for 9am. And then finishes work at 4am but also then to pick her child up from some afterschool club at 10 minues later?

#174 ·
It's all very silly if you ask me.

In my opinion Nottingham doesn't need any kind of road tolls or parking levy. It is dealing well with traffic congestion well already through excellent public transport and pedestrianisation.

The only real reason this WPL is being brought in is because introducing some form of car stealth tax is a hoop Nottingham has to jump through to qualify for the "transport innovation fund" to pay for the tram extension.

#178 ·
I would much rather have the parking levy than the congestion charge to be honest.
I reckon if the council were to introduce a congestion charge to the city it would have a far more negative impact on the local economy. Knowone will pay to drive into town from other cities and towns to shop and then have to pay to park (unless they use park & ride.

#180 ·
The threshold for the charge is more than 10 spaces and I dont think any business thats large enough to have more than 10 parking spaces should need to pass on the charge to staff. So those for whom public transport is not a viable option should not be unfairly penalised. The onus should be on employers to ensure they do all they can to encourage staff who could use public transport to do so.

I'm pretty dubious about the objections being raised by local businesses. They will be one of the main beneficiaries of reduced congestion. There is a lot of "carrot" in Nottingham, with a lot of public money having been spent on what is now an excellent system. Much more than most other cities. I dont think businesses can complain about a bit of "stick" now. Nottingham is already out-performing other cities in terms of controlling congestion and increasing public transport patronage. But this doesnt mean we shouldnt be doing even better and WPL could represent a further gear change that will put us even further ahead. Any intelligent inward investor will recognise this and not be put off by WPL.

Businesses will also have the option to reduce the charges they incur by minimising the car parking they provide. As most businesses lease their premises this could lead to rent reductions. Another thing we are overlooking is the effect WPL could have on the design process for new build commercial developments. If less car parking is required this will encourage higher density development. There is also the possibility that new redevelopment opportunities come up as some companies seek to get rid of large car parks.

The only concern I have about the charge is that its not being applied to the whole of Greater Nottingham. It clearly should be.

#181 ·
I agree furry.

Look at this. This is ridiculous. They objected to the route because the lines would be attached to their buildings?????

A Developer of one of the city's biggest business parks has ended its objection to an extension of Nottingham's tram network.

Miller Birch, developers of ng2, now supports the NET's phase two plan to build a line via Beeston and Chilwell and a second serving Clifton and Wilford.

One of the proposed lines would run through the centre of the site at ng2, serving occupiers such as Experian, Homebase, Geldards Solicitors, HSBC, HBOS and Coutts. A further nine acres are to be developed on the site.

Miller Birch had objected to the way equipment operating the trams would have been fixed to buildings at the site but a design compromise has now been reached.

It means the developer will not give evidence at the NET phase two inquiry opposing the plans.

Mark Bielby, development director for Miller Birch, said: "NET phase two will run through the centre of ng2 along Enterprise Way forming fast and efficient connections to the railway station, The University of Nottingham, QMC and Beeston.

"Connectivity will not only allow our occupiers, visitors and staff to access ng2 quickly, it will provide a sustainable alternative to car travel.

"This will keep Nottingham at the forefront for promoting and delivering an integrated public transport network which sets the standards.

#182 ·
What's get me is that the post keep talking about this as if it will actually be the employees rather than the employers who pay this charge.

And secondly, I don't see why nurses and doctors should be excused. There are so many special bus links to the hospitals, the tram line will go there too. The hospitals are unbelievably accessible. Hospitals are well served by public transport.

Health bosses were today waiting for a decision over whether doctors and nurses face a tax to park at work.

If the plans for the controversial workplace parking levy go ahead, large city employers would be charged £185 per parking space starting in 2010, rising to £350 by 2014.

The city council originally planned not to impose the tax at police, fire and NHS premises, but an independent report has suggested the authority charges them, too.

The move would initially raise more than £580,000 year from the health service and over £1m by 2014, as there are 1,566 parking spaces for staff at the Queen's Medical Centre and 1,595 spaces at Nottingham City Hospital.

The funds would be used to help pay for phase two of the tram and improvements to the railway station and Link buses.

Members of the public who contributed to the independent report sought "convincing, logical reasons" why health, fire and police staff should escape charging, when other people, such as teachers, would not.

The report suggested that only spaces for emergency service vehicles and disabled drivers be exempt from the charge.

The council's executive board was meeting today to determine the authority's position on police, fire and NHS premises.

It will also decide whether to adopt two other recommendations from the report: to exempt the first ten places at all premises, which would push up the tax to £432 a year in 2014 and to talk to the Government about delaying the tram extension beyond 2013, to pay for it by a 'fairer' congestion charge.

In a letter to councillors, the Notts Chamber of Commerce has offered to assist the local authority in lobbying the Government for a delay.

But Steve Barber, of pro-tram group Bacit, who has also written to councillors, said: "Any ongoing delay could have dire consequences.

"There is a serious danger that central Government funding for the tram proposals might be withdrawn."

#183 ·
This article has been taken from the news section of the Nottingham City Council website...

Sixty-eight per cent of City of Nottingham residents who took part in Workplace Parking Levy public consultation supported proposals to introduce it – and have been backed by an independent inspector.

Consultation responses were part of the evidence presented at a five-day independent Public Examination into the proposals – with the conclusions of the consultation and the Public Examination set to be considered by councillors next week (December 18th).

Brian Dodd, the Independent Examiner who chaired the Public Examination hearing, while accepting certain criticisms about the Workplace Parking Levy (WPL) scheme, states in his report that: "The WPL scheme has the potential to deliver public transport benefits to Nottingham through expenditure on Local Transport Plan (LTP) projects, including NET Phase Two."

WPL would fund local contributions to more and improved public transport services – most significantly more tram routes – providing a wider range of options for commuting, shopping and other leisure activities and improving opportunities for people accessing education and healthcare.

The Public Examination formed part of a widespread consultation of the WPL proposals which took place over a 12 week period, ending on 12th October 2007. People were able to take part in the consultation in a variety of ways, including by post, email or via the website nottinghamwpl.com.

A total of 2485 representations were received during the public consultation and of those 42.8% supported the proposals, a further 2% of respondents were neutral or expressed mixed views about the proposals, whilst 54.8% objected. 7,900 City of Nottingham businesses were twice directly mailed consultation literature; they received a WPL leaflet which was specifically tailored for businesses and then a copy of the City Council’s Business Arrow publication. 82 City of Nottingham businesses responded to the consultation. 68% of the City of Nottingham residents who took part in the consultation supported the proposals.

The money raised from introducing a WPL in Nottingham would fund a range of public transport initiatives, such as funding the local financial contribution to extend the tram system to serve Chilwell and Beeston via the QMC and Clifton via Wilford. It would also fund:

More Link bus services and the continued running of existing popular Link buses which serve areas not covered by commercial public transport operators
Improvements to bus services in areas not covered by NET
Transforming Nottingham Station into a ‘Hub’ with improved connections to buses and trams and expanded passenger facilities – turning it into one of the top European transport interchanges.
Mr Dodd examined consultation responses received by the council and decided to invite 109 employers, residents and other stakeholders to take part in the Public Examination. Of these, 28 attended to express their views. The independent examiner’s report identified 20 recommendations on the proposed WPL scheme, of which WPL project officers recommend that 17 are accepted and three are explored further.

The City Council’s Executive Board will meet on 18th December to discuss the findings of the WPL public consultation, along with the Independent Examiner’s report and the Consultation Team’s responses to this report. They will decide at this meeting whether to proceed with implementing a WPL in 2010 and whether to pursue changes to the scheme which will be consulted upon further.
I am pleased that the survey and the blurb above has mentioned the Hub. i wonder how much funding the project might get from the WPL.

#184 ·
This week saw the closing of the NET Phase Two Public Inquiry - the latest stage of the process to enable the Promoters of Nottingham Express Transit (NET) -the City and County Councils - to develop the tram extensions.

The Inquiry, which was held at the Britannia Hotel in Nottingham, got underway on Tuesday November 6th. The first six weeks took the form of a formal hearing and finished on Friday 21st December. The hearings saw objectors and supporters put forward evidence to Inspector Robert Barker.

Tuesday 8th January through until Wednesday 16th January saw the Inspector take to the streets to conduct site visits of the NET Phase Two routes.

Mr Barker was appointed by the Government to consider the merits of the routes, listen to all objectors and supporters and then decide whether the proposals meet with the public interest.

The Inspector is expected to present his findings on the NET Public Inquiry to the Secretary of State for Transport next July.

Mr Barker will make recommendations to the Secretary of State who has the ultimate authority to either approve or reject the Transport and Works Act Order (TWAO) for the NET Phase Two proposals. It is hoped that the Secretary of State will announce these conclusions by the end of 2008.

Should the Secretary of State approve the TWAO proposals, then the NET Project Team can ask private companies to bid for the work of building and running NET Phase Two. The successful company, whose appointment will have to be approved by both City and County Councils, would take over running NET Line One as well as building and running NET Phase Two. Construction could start in 2010 with trams running on the extended NET system by 2013.

As part of the TWAO procedures associated with NET Phase Two, land currently used as open space will need to be acquired. As considered at the Public Inquiry it is proposed to make alternative land available for public use by way of exchange. The Promoters have been directed by the Secretary of State to give public notice of the Secretary of State's intention to issue a Certificate under Section 19(1)(a) of the Acquisition of Land Act 1981. Click here to view the public notice. Any comments or representations should be made directly to the Government Office for the East Midlands, as detailed in the notice, by 5 February 2008.

http://www.netphasetwo.com/07/netphasetwo_story.asp?NETworkNEWSId=47

#188 ·
Saw this today. Probably nothing we don't already know.

Notts tram extensions tendered in 2009
Published: 06 March 2008 14:01

Contractors will be invited next year to bid for a £582 million Private Finance Initiative deal to extend Nottingham's tram system.

The work will involve extending the exiting Nottingham Express Transit system, which was built by Carillion in 2004, out to Chilwell via the city's Queens Medical Centre and to Clifton via Wilford.

Nottingham City Council today (6 March) published a prior information notice in the Official Journal calling for firms interested in the deal to take part in market testing on what its procurement strategy for the job should be.

It anticipates advertising the contract in early 2009, for award in summer 2010. The first trams are expected to be up and running on the extensions in 2013.
Does anybody have any information on which routes NET plans to build next? I think I heard something about an extension of the Phoenix Park line to Kimberley?

#190 ·
I was making the assumption that, given the success of line 1, the huge patronage it attracts, the massive amount of investment it has attracted to Nottingham, the fact that it runs at a profit, the time, effort and money that has been put into producing detailed plans for lines 2 and 3 and given that Nottingham has also subscribed to the government's "punish motorists arbitrarily if you want some transport cash" scheme, Ruth Kelly would without hesitation give NET phase II the go-ahead.

I'm an idiot aren't I.

#192 ·
Not at all, but given the history of all such developments of such kind in this country, until the money is guarenteed, and the ground is being dug make no assumptions.

As far as I am aware, Nottingham is yet to submit a TIF bid, as such, you are a very long way to go before any sort of confirmation of funding.

Danz - didn't you try to convince me that work had already started on lines 2 and 3 about a year ago?

#197 ·

Government tops up Transport Innovation Fund
Filed 05/03/08

An extra £800m will be provided by government to bankroll its flagship Transport Innovation Fund initiative, transport secretary Ruth Kelly announced yesterday (4 March).

The existing TIF end date will be extended from 2014/15 to 2018/19 with £200m set aside for each year of the extended programme, matching the funding agreed for previous years.

This year (2008/09) marks the first year of TIF funding when an initial £200m becomes available to local authorities wishing to implement major public transport projects in conjunction with some form of road-user charging. To date two areas - Cambridgeshire and Greater Manchester - have formally submitted proposals for TIF money but ministers have yet to approve either scheme, despite pledging to decide whether or not to approve any congestion management pilot plan submitted prior to July 2007 before the end of the same year (Transport Briefing 09/11/06).

Tuesday's announcement, combined with a government announcement about hard shoulder running across Britain's motorway network, suggests the TIF project is running slightly behind schedule with any major road-user charging scheme outside London at least five years away from going live. Ruth Kelly said the Department for Transport aimed to have two or three road pricing schemes fully operational by 2013/14.

However, the transport secretary said she would provide additional funding to allow further development of TIF schemes. Cambridgeshire and Greater Manchester will be eligible for money to support scheme development while the DfT considers their TIF bids. Meanwhile, the other eight recipients of pump-priming cash can lobby for further money to progress their applications - but not if money is simply required to meet cost overruns. Further pump-priming cash will be made available to local councils which have so far failed to make the TIF shortlist, providing hope to authorities such as those in Liverpool and Devon for whom TIF money could unlock otherwise unaffordable transport projects such as light rail lines.

The transport secretary said that schemes to introduce a workplace parking levy would also be eligible for TIF cash, boosting the likelihood of Nottingham securing additional government money. Nottingham City Council approved plans to approve a WPL, the first of its kind in the UK, earlier this year (Transport Briefing 09/01/08). The income generated would pay for an extension of the Nottingham Express Transit tram network.

Speaking on Tuesday Ruth Kelly said: "Local authorities are already considering whether local road pricing, coupled with investment in public transport, could help them cut congestion. The extra funding I'm announcing today shows the government's commitment to funding these schemes over the longer term and I hope that more local authorities will bring forward proposals for consideration."

In 2005 the DfT announced the creation of the Transport Innovation Fund which would be allocated £200m per year from 2008/09 to 2014/15 to support local packages of measures to tackle congestion through road pricing, combined with improvements to public transport.

#200 ·
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/regional/tif/tifpackages

Introduction

1. In July 2005 we announced that we were making available up to £18 million "pump-priming" funding up to 2007/8 to support the development and appraisal of Congestion TIF packages. Ten areas were awarded funding over two rounds.

2. In parallel we announced that we were prepared to make available up to £200 million per year from 2008/09 up to 2014/15 to support congestion TIF packages, and potentially more should more suitable schemes to a higher value emerge. We have now announced that we are extending the commitment to provide up to £200 million per year to 2018-19 in line with our long term funding profile for transport.

3. To support continued scheme development we are making available further development funding. This will be available for proposals at three stages of development:

* A third round of Pump Priming funding for the development of TIF Business Cases for TIF Programme Entry;
* Proposals that have been formally submitted and where authorities are providing further information to support the assessment by DfT and in parallel developing elements of the proposal while waiting for a programme entry decision;
* Preparatory costs for proposals between Programme Entry and Conditional Approval.

No decisions have been taken on the proportion of the funding available for each stage of funding

4. This paper sets out our approach to allocating this funding and the criteria against which we will assess bids. It should be read in parallel with the Transport Innovation Fund: Guidance on Business Case Requirements for Programme Entry.
[1]
Pump Priming - Round 3
What we are looking for

5. We are particularly looking for packages of measures that combine road pricing with better public transport although we may, by exception, consider bids involving a workplace parking levy.

6. As yet no decisions have been taken on the allocation of Congestion TIF funds to individual schemes. Our aim is to have two or three road pricing schemes fully operational by 2013/14, but the extension of the long-term funding line, and the importance we attach to tackling local congestion problems, means that we may also consider schemes that could introduce road pricing a year or two later.

7. Given the long lead times for the development and introduction of road pricing schemes we are looking for proposals which could come forward as full business cases for programme entry within the next 18 months to 2 years.

8. Pump priming will only be available for the development of proposals into full Congestion TIF Business Cases for Programme Entry. This additional funding is primarily aimed at those areas that are already within the pump-priming programme but we may also consider proposals from new areas that have made significant progress towards the development of credible proposals.

9. We are looking for evidence of a significant local financial contribution to the programme. We would not normally expect to fund more than 50% of total package development costs, but may take into account any local spending incurred before 2008/09 where it can be demonstrated that this was directly related to business case development.

10. Bids should specifically address each of the criteria below.
Criteria

Bids for pump priming will be assessed against:

a. The likelihood of the delivery of a credible full TIF business case within the next eighteen months to two years. Authorities will need to demonstrate significant progress towards developing TIF proposals based around demand management. This includes progress on:

* Development of appropriate analytical tools compliant with WEBTAG;
* Identification of the congestion problem to be tackled through hard demand management and the form of demand management to be developed;
* Consideration of options for complementary public transport investment;
* Engagement with stakeholders and development of a local political consensus on demand management;
* Development of the appropriate capacity and capability to develop a robust business case.

b. The strategic fit of the proposals with the objectives for Congestion TIF schemes, covering:

* Their potential to be effective in tackling a current or emerging congestion problem, so that transport can promote wider economic growth, social inclusion and environmental objectives, in a sustainable way;
* The extent to which the scheme fits with the Government's strategic aims and objectives for road pricing, through improved understanding of scheme design, technology, implementation and operation;
* The extent to which they combine effective demand management with better public transport, especially bus service improvements, in mutually supportive packages;
* The potential of ideas/approaches to be transferred elsewhere;
* The potential for public transport patronage growth;
* The extent of coverage of the scheme proposed. We expect to give greater weight to schemes where the impact of the scheme could bring benefits across a wide geographical area;
* The long term financial impacts of the scheme.

12. Authorities that have already benefited from pump-priming will also need to demonstrate how it has delivered significant progress towards development of proposals in line with published TIF Guidance. We will take into account their progress to date against milestones for previous allocations of pump priming. We will not consider funding for programmes of work already covered by pump priming, nor for cost overruns on existing work programmes.

13. The Department is exploring, through the Demonstrations Project, the potential for using more sophisticated technology that would support pay-as-you-go style schemes. We will want to discuss with authorities how this could be accommodated within their schemes as they develop.

14. We would expect authorities to demonstrate local political support for the development of a package of measures based around demand management - road pricing or, by exception, a workplace parking levy. This includes how agreement would be reached, where appropriate, across multi-authority areas.
Additional information sought

15. Bids should also include:

* The name of the authority (or authorities) submitting the proposal (making clear whether it is a joint proposal covering more than one authority) and the names of the signing Officers or Members.
* Where appropriate, details of the current programme for TIF pump priming work including evidence that the funds allocated have been spent effectively and milestones achieved.
* A detailed, costed work programme through to submission of a programme entry business case within a eighteen months to two years. This should include the amount of funding sought from DfT for business case development and the contribution this represents to total development costs, and how it will be used.
* Details of the project team undertaking the development of proposals, including consultancy support engaged.
* For areas that have not previously benefited from pump priming, an initial proposition for the governance arrangements that would be put in place to manage the bid should it be successful.

Funding available

16. Even with the extension of the funding line, TIF funding is limited and we only expect to support a very small number of areas through pump-priming over the coming two years. Nor have we any plans to run further rounds of pump priming at this stage.

17. Most pump-priming funding for business case development will be available for 2008/09, although a smaller amount may be available in the following year. We have not set a limit on the amount of funding available for this, but we expect authorities to be realistic in the amount they will be able to spend within a year. Authorities will not ordinarily be able to carry forward unspent funds into subsequent years. Authorities are welcome to discuss funding requirements with theirDepartmental contacts in RLTD advance of submitting a bid. We may also ask authorities to reconsider the amount of funding they have bid for.

18. The process for allocating pump priming funding is separate from the process of allocating the main TIF funds. It is not necessary to have had a successful pump-priming bid in order to apply for funding from TIF through the congestion entry point. Nor does a successful pump-priming bid offer any guarantee of success in a bid for main TIF scheme funding.
Submitting Bids

19. Authorities are invited to submit bids as and when they are ready up to 30th May 2008 - we will not consider any bids submitted after that date. However, we are anxious to ensure the minimum disruption to authorities' workplans. Where an authority submits a bid in advance of this date, we will aim to make a decision at the earliest possible date.

20. Questions relating to this guidance should be directed to congestion.tif@dft.gsi.gov.uk, or to Stephen McFarlane (020 7944 6120).

21. All bids, whether successful or not, will be made available to the public once decisions have been made.

Post-Bid / Pre-Decision Development Funding
Overview

22. We made available a small amount of additional funding in January 2008 to local authorities who submitted business cases for TIF programme entry in 2007. This was to part-fund additional consultancy support to ensure that scheme development continues whilst the business case is being assessed. The funding was for those elements of road pricing scheme development that were identified as most likely to delay the implementation of a full scheme.

23. We will continue to make funding available for such costs up to 2010/11. Application for and award of this additional funding will have no bearing on the decision on the overall business case. Authorities will not be disadvantaged should they choose not to apply, nor should authorities take this funding as any kind of endorsement or indication of ultimate success of the bid.

24. Promoting authorities should submit a case for additional funding alongside their full TIF Business Cases, or as soon as possible afterwards. We will expect promoters to have discussed likely funding requirements with the Department in advance of bid submission. Promoters who have already submitted business cases are also invited to apply.
Criteria

25. Bids will need to satisfy the following criteria:

a. We will only consider funding for road pricing elements of business cases or for progressing elements of the package that are critical to the delivery of the road pricing scheme.

b. At the time that a bid for additional development funding is made the package business case must be of sufficient detail and quality such that it is reasonable to expect a decision on whether to award programme entry could be made within a reasonable period, or there is a plan for the provision of additional information which would make a decision within that timescale reasonable.

c. The promoter will need to demonstrate that road pricing scheme development would continue, but that the implementation date for pricing would be at risk without additional support in this period.

d. The promoter will need to demonstrate how their workplan, in respect of the additional funding, would reduce the risk of delays to the pricing implementation date should the scheme go ahead.

e. The promoter will need to satisfy the Department that the consultancy support that they intend to engage is appropriate for the task and provides good value for money. Promoters may wish to discuss this with the Department in advance of submission.
Conditions and funding available

26. Bids will only be considered once a full business case for Programme Entry has been submitted to the Department. The Department will apply the above criteria in deciding whether or not a case has been made for additional funding. We would aim to make this decision within three to four weeks of submission of a bid for additional support, and then agree a work programme and funding profile.

27. The amount of funding that the Department would be prepared to make available will be based on an assessment of the extent of the further work needed to ensure that the implementation date is not put at risk. We would expect any funding to be, as a minimum, matched by local contributions.

28. All funds would be repayable to the Department should the promoter decide to withdraw their business case.

TIF Package Preparatory Costs

29. In addition to supporting scheme development through pump priming and development costs between business case submission and decision, the Department will also consider contributing to preparatory costs incurred between Programme Entry and Full Approval. We will apply the same eligibility criteria as for conventional Local Transport Major Schemes [2]

30. However, given the potential scale of these packages compared to conventional LTP Major Schemes, we will consider making some payments towards preparatory costs at specific agreed milestones between Programme Entry and Conditional Approval, rather than only at Conditional Approval. Payments would be made in arrears once the Department is satisfied that milestones have been met.

31. It is expected that any funding made available by the Department would be supplemented by a significant local contribution. The Department will make a decision on funding available following a Programme Entry decision.

[1] http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/regional/tif/tifguidanceprogrammeentry
[2] http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/regional/ltp/major/majorschemeguide/

For related documents, pages and internet links, see the column on the right.

#201 ·
Would the Workplace Parking Levy have to be funded through TIF Metrolink? The proposals are fairly advanced, having been through public inquiry, so Id be suprised if they hadnt yet made an application - if this were needed.

Surely the tram extensions themselves wont be funded through TIF?

#202 ·
And here I was thinking it was all going smoothly...

New inquiry into tram extension

A NEW public inquiry will be held after Rushcliffe Borough Council objected to the compulsory purchase of land for the tram extension to Clifton.

The council is concerned about the loss of wildlife on the proposed Net Phase Two route, which runs along the former railway embankment at Wilford.

Members are also unhappy at the loss of amenity and the value of the open spaces they have been offered in exchange.

The original inquiry – which ran from November to January – is also due to be reopened to hear new claims that the area planned for the Clifton Park and Ride had been designated as a Site of Importance for Nature Conservation (SINC).

Barton-in-Fabis Parish Council made the claim to the Secretary of State, citing the presence of large numbers of golden plover.

However, the Notts Biological and Geographical Record Centre has since confirmed it has never been a SINC and under the current criteria would not qualify.

The inquiries, which will run back to back, begin at 10am on Tuesday, October 7, at Notts County football ground in Meadow Lane.

They will be chaired by Robert Baker, who has been appointed by the Secretary of State for Transport, Communities and Local Government.

For the full story see tomorrow's Evening Post.
http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/New-inquiry-tram-extension/article-307750-detail/article.html
:eek:hno: