NOTTINGHAM: Sneinton Market and Eastside Gateway

Hello I thought forum members would be interested in the following;

Nottingham Regeneration Limited (NRL), Nottingham City Council and Blueprint
have appointed an international team of architects led by Gehl Architects
to work on the:

Nottingham Sneinton Market/Eastside Gateway Neighbourhood Development Plan

www.sneintonmarketandeastsidegateway.info

The purpose of this work is to provide a framework for the physical, social and
economic regeneration of the neighbourhood over the next ten years.

The key objectives for the design team are:
To provide a kick start for new regeneration activity.
To listen and incorporate the ideas and imagination of local communities and
stakeholders.
To secure the commitment and investment of landowners.
To identify and maximise the potential funding opportunities and support local
business.
To improve the image and quality of the built and public environment including
access and linkage to open and green spaces.
To provide a focus for the Eastside and link the communities of St Anns and
Sneinton to the City Centre.
To explore the potential to develop a creative industries cluster
within this area as a key component in the economic development and regeneration.

See less See more
#29 ·
thats awful. I walked throught the Sneinton market area yesterday afternoon, and frankly it felt unsafe right in the middle of the day. The market buildings have had their day and need to go...i think some of them are unsafe anyway. Theres the chance to have a nice piazza where the car park is now, with Victoria Building down one side, and the Chek Whyte tower sitting the other side of it (kinda). We need to start again with that area...get the Royal Mail, Bus depot and closed down businesses out of there!

#31 ·
Certainly not cage fighting. It's quite a difficult one as I think it might look alright as a resturant but it's abit too far away from everything else in Hockley to attract enough people.
I think we should leave it for the moment until something is done with the market area. Once that's been decided we could put forward more appropriate ideas.

#36 ·
ha ha! cage fighting, classic! random as ****.

sneinton market is a good facility, are the market stalls going to be given a new location, or just booted out? that would suck. i could see that area being a nice little piazza-type space, maybe that would be a good step towards integrating St Anns into the general city a bit better.

that post office bit and the houses there need to go tho, they really help nobody.

#38 ·
So what do you guys thunk they should do? Should they keep or burn down the current old buildings there?

I was talking with a few guys in the creative industries today and they were telling me that initially, part of the plan for the market was actually for creative industries. They wanted to do a Covent Garden type of thing.

I was also told that Creative Industries in general requires the full support of local councils to really make it work. What happens lots of the time is that artist/groups will get a grant to run a particular project, do a few performances etc, they have this great big zeal and then once the project is complete and the funding runs out there is nothing in place to really sustain their ambitions/plans/future.

In berlin, those in creative industries pay a significantly lower price for apartments/housing etc to help keep things going. Sounds like good stuff.. but expensive stuff I suppose. I would really like to see creative industries expand down here though.

I really look forward to seeing this Gehl masterplan too.

#40 ·
Leisure centre granted repieve

Looks like the leisure centre will continue.... for now.
:)

CAMPAIGN SAVES SNEINTON POOL - FOR NOW
4 readers have commented on this story. Click here to read their views.

CHARLES WALKER POLITICAL EDITOR

09:00 - 18 March 2008

Campaigners have claimed a "partial victory" in their fight to save the Victoria Leisure Centre.

The city council had signalled it was ready to close the pool at the Easter.

But strong local opposition means it looks set to back down on those plans at a meeting today.

The campaigners say they have achieved their first aim - delaying any closure while other options are looked at.

The council is expected to say the Sneinton centre will stay open for at least nine months while its future is weighed up by the local area committee - a process that should focus on cost and value.

Mat Anderson, organiser of the Save the Victoria Baths Campaign, said: "I see it as a partial victory.

"It is a big step forward, to get them keeping the centre open pending further consultation with the local community."

The campaign has put councillors under intense pressure since they took their decision to close on February 19.

A consultation, which ended on March 10, has attracted 1,194 letters, e-mails and completed Tell Us Your Views forms, distributed by the city council.

Some 95% said the Gedling Street, facility should stay open.

Petitions with 3,984 signatures were also submitted and more than 300 people marched in Old Market Square, while 250 attended a public meeting at the leisure centre organised as part of the campaign.

Pool supporters have given credit to the city council for listening.

Mr Anderson said: "This is democracy in action. They have listened to the community - and reacted."

But he said he and his fellow campaigners recognised it was only a stay of execution and that they had to battle on to save the centre long-term.

The detail of the council's decision will be known later today.

But it is understood that its preferred option is to ultimately close the Victoria Leisure Centre and build a new one to serve the east side of the city.

Mr Anderson said: "I suspect a large group of campaigners will want to push to keep the heritage parts of the leisure centre open and want any money invested there.

"That would include the reopening of the Oval Pool, and refurbishment of the Turkish Baths and Gala Pool.

"These may be 'red lines' for the campaigners - and there may be a battle to be fought."

The city council originally claimed that the Victoria Leisure Centre must close as part of a "transformation" of existing services, offering fewer facilities of a higher quality.

The council said the leisure centre requires major investment to bring it up to a good standard - and that it would cost up to £10m to replace it.

Coun David Trimble, portfolio holder for community and leisure at the city council, said: "We have done the consultation. We have listened.

"They have run an excellent campaign."

Coun Trimble said it was now important that people who had taken part in the campaign also used the leisure centre.

charles.walker@nottinghameveningpost.co.uk

Reader comments

Labour Government listening to their people? What a Farce, i'm absolutely disgusted at the underhand way that the council have taken our baths, given a sketchy time frame on another facility which is as yet in the idea stage. More unaffordable flats then NCC, as you continue to strip the affordable facilities from the residents of the East Side? They have lost my vote!!!!
Zozie Belle, Sneinton

Great news at last! The locals will be able to wash again.
Neil Hunter, Bulwell

As a regular swimmer at Victoria Baths it is wonderful news that the centre is to stay open another nine months at least. Although this battle is won, the fight isn't over. Show your support for Victoria Baths and use it! Show the council we need this facility kept open.
Steven Smith, St Ann's

As a regular user of Victoria I am glad that they have agreed to extend the consultation period. However, I think Mr Anderson is over emphasising the historic angle for the Leisure Centre. I'm not bothered about the Council spending money on the historical aspects of the centre, I just want somewhere local where I can play sports and swim.
ruth, Nottingham

#42 ·
Plans for Sneinton Market and Eastside Gateway

There will be a series of events next week to present the 'Sneinton Market and Eastside Gateway Neighbourhood Development Plan' from Gehl Architects

Thursday 12th June
Presentation of Neighbourhood Plan
by Gehl Architects (with Q and A)
7.30pm at the Victoria Leisure Centre

Friday 13th June
Exhibition
3pm - 7pm at the Victoria Leisure Centre

Saturday 14th June
Exhibition
10am - 4pm at Smithy Row, City Centre

#43 ·
http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/d...Node=133942&contentPK=20841643&folderPk=78486

Sneinton Market could become the heart of Nottingham's Eastside, inspired by European style and featuring attractive open space, say developers.

A 15-year regeneration plan for the area has been put together by Danish urban design firm Gehl Architects - and design ideas are being unveiled from tomorrow.

Consultation on the Sneinton Market and Eastside Gateway Neighbourhood Development Plan has involved businesses, schoolchildren and community figures.

Mike Barnes, Sneinton Market committee director, said: "The Sneinton community and Association of Market Traders are looking forward to seeing the plans - and hopefully the decline experienced in recent months will be halted.

"Funding must be found from somewhere to regenerate the market in the short term, and long-term plans must also be considered carefully.

"I emphasise that it's all very well having the long-term plan - but we need to make sure the short-term future of the market is addressed, too."

Arc4, a consultancy firm, has worked with Nottingham Regeneration Limited and Gehl.

The consultants have organised sessions with Stonebridge Park residents and held discussions with children at Blue Bell Hill Primary, in St Ann's, and Sneinton C of E Primary.

A waterfall, open-air theatre and a pond were just some of the ideas offered by the children, as well as a dinosaur museum and a catwalk.

Jon Silver, of Arc4, said: "The consultations give us great insights into how the market used to be and the ideas and aspirations people have for the future. We've had some great ideas."

Coun Alan Clark, portfolio holder for Neighbourhood Regeneration, at Nottingham City Council, said: "Neighbourhood regeneration is a priority."

#44 ·
A bit off topic but, I think another museum in they city centre somewhere would actually be a great idea, whether its a dinosaur one or not haha. Studies consistently showe that to attract creative and financial jobs you have to create a city people want to live in and a good environment to live in. Cultural, park and sports amenities are all part of that. I'm sure it doesnt just appeal to people in the financial or creative sectors either. Maybe we should let the children design the next big project in nottingham heh

#47 ·
not heard anything about this since the consulatation a few months ago. I know that a creative quarter had a lot of support so its no surprise that it has been taken forward. They need to totally redevelop that side and provide a proper new indoor market under cover but easily accessed with restaurants and places to relax around the edge. Whatever is done needs to be mixed use to keep it vibrant all the time, not just on market day as it is now.

#49 ·
Some of us remember the old Sneinton Produce Market. When that closed there was a lot of talk of the site's exciting future as Nottingham's version of Covent Garden. The old units were tarted up: visitors and business stayed away in their droves.

Anyone with a modicum of local knowledge knew that the plans were pie in the sky rubbish - the "new" Sneinton Market never went beyond a home for sub-marginal enterprises and is now largely derelict. The developers were not too dismayed because they made their cut out of the public money which backed the redevelopment.

The new "creative quarter" (whatever that really means) plan is more of the same old rubbish reheated and represented.

#50 ·
I can imagine how that might have taken place.

You would never get Nottingham's Covent Garden around there because the wealth and appeal isnt around there. It would be totally the wrong location. The only way we could ever get a covent garden around there would be if Eastside was actually built.

I think frankly all those market units should be demolished, they are horrid. Those units between parliament street need to be pulled down too, open up the area. The buildings around the square should be redeveloped, enlarged and refurbished to marketable sizes, and the public realm totally updated. As long as the main people hanging around there are hobos and market traders thats all the appeal the area will hold.

The vision needs to be more wide reaching than just Sneinton Market. The whole area needs redevelopment. They totally havnt made enough of Biocity being there yet. Link to that as well!

#52 ·
Not against this at all but i do get the feeling that if architects, planners & developer throw in the token "Mediterranean style square" then everyone thinks its going to be a winner.. Perhaps spend a bit more effort on the detail & quality of the buildings rather than the "Mediterranean Style Square" and we might just end up with a quality long-term addition to the city..

#53 ·
Victoria Leisure Centre has now been demolished and foundations are going in for the new buildings.

They have hoardings around the site with a few images and renders I hadnt seen so thought I would post them on here.

City Council have also started upgrading the pavements and street lights as you go into Sneinton Market from Goosegate to match the rest of the city centre. Looks much better already, interesting to see how the Sneinton Square shapes up..

#54 ·
Work on Sneinton Market is due to start tomorrow. From today's EP

SNEINTON will be welcoming the new year with a new image as work begins tomorrow to transform the market place into a bustling public space.

These images show how the square will look when the work is complete.

It will be used as a venue for events, markets, gatherings, performances, festivals and community activities.

Sneinton Market will continue to trade while the work is carried out and shoppers are being offered one hour's free parking at Nottingham City Council's Aberdeen Street car park to encourage people to keep using the market.

Councillor Jane Urquhart, portfolio holder for transport and area working, said: "Citizens and visitors alike will be able to enjoy the new square.

"It will breathe new life into the area and become a destination in its own right."

The new square, which is part of the £6.8 million Eastside scheme, has been designed by Patel Taylor architects.

Tonnes of granite paving will be laid to define the area of the square, spilling out onto surrounding streets to encourage people to walk between the city centre, St Ann's and Sneinton.

There will also be a cafe with a terrace at Victoria Leisure Centre and the square will be surrounded by seating and new trees.

There will be a water feature, new litter bins, cycle stands with lighting and CCTV.

Wendy Honeyman-Smith, from Sneinton Community Traders, which runs the markets at Sneinton, said: "We are very excited that work is starting on the new square.

"The redevelopment will give an opportunity for the markets to get bigger and better in the future, and our message to customers is that it's very much business as usual in the meantime."

It is hoped the new square will be finished by winter.

The Connecting Eastside scheme is funded by the European Regional Development Fund, East Midlands Development Agency and central government.

It aims to improve pedestrian, cycling and traffic routes between the city centre, Sneinton and St Ann's.

During the first stage of the improvements the market will move to outside the Victoria Leisure Centre
http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/n...-tomorrow/article-3057464-detail/article.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.