SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NOTTINGHAM | MediPark | Medical Science Park

13K views 50 replies 18 participants last post by  blades_lad 
#1 ·
This sounds big:

A New science park at the QMC could house more than 200 medical research firms.

The aim is to attract leading companies from around the world to the nine-acre site - and bring jobs too.

City planners consider the project to be an important element in their strategy to develop science as a key part of Nottingham's economy. The industry already employs 60,000 people.

Nottingham boasts world leaders in medical and drug fields at the University of Nottingham and University Hospitals.

Simon Green, head of economic development at the city council, said: "If this takes off it will be one of the leading medical research centres in Europe. It will mean jobs for local people. We are trying attract the doctors and clinicians but also looking at technician level jobs. Hundreds of those will be available for local people."

Mr Green said the presence of "a five star teaching hospital next door" to the MediPark was a big advantage.

Nottingham Regeneration Ltd and public private partnership company Blueprint are in discussions with landowners. These includes the Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, which owns about 40% of the site earmarked.

Blueprint is already developing Nottingham Science Park, on the other side of University Boulevard.

The city also boasts BioCity, which provides office and laboratory space for fledgling research companies.

The MediPark is being designed by David West, from Studio Egret West. He said: "The idea is to create great functional space for the scientific community and it in a way that helps Nottingham retain and attract the best talent."

The designers' first concept for the MediPark is based on stem cells, supposed to symbolise "regenerative growth".

Subject to planning permission, the scheme would be developed in three phases. Each one includes three buildings with inter-connected arms, providing space for a mix of private research, medical, collaborative work and laboratories.
This is the kind of stuff I want Nottingham, this is the kind of stuff I want Notts to aspire to.

#3 ·
200 medical research teams sounds like a hell of alot. This will be a huge leap forward for Nottingham internationally in terms of medical research. Im really excited by this proposal, hopefully we'll see some really innovative buildings on the site aswell.

It's all looking good for Nottingham in 2008/09 with this and all the other projects we have in the pipeline.
Our crane count will rise bigtime.

#4 ·
this sounds very good!!! .............. now we can build some really expensive houses for these people to live in..... so that they dont bugger off out of notts and live in a derbyshire village...... lets trap the smart fuckers in notts and not let go.... then we might get a harvey nics!!! lol

good news guys....

#6 ·
The scale of this is much bigger than I originally expected. This project must really rely upon the tram extension starting soon. The transport along that side of the city is awful at present, with the ring road grinding to a halt every rush hour. This centre will presumably employ a lot of people, so transport really needs to be improved. What will happen to the NHS offices and the NICE offices that are already there?

#12 ·
Another snippet from the NEP. For people like me this can only be good news, maybe I will have a reason to move back to Notts again.

Science park blueprint completed

A Major medical science park development in Nottingham has moved a step closer with the completion of a master plan for the project.Nottingham Regeneration Ltd (NRL), working with sustainable regeneration developer Blueprint, selected architects Studio Egret West to create the master plan earlier this year.

A planning application will be submitted in March.

The 3.7 hectare (9.1 acre) MediPark development on the banks of the River Leen, next to the Queen's Medical Centre, will hope to attract world-leading medical science companies and research.

Source: Nottingham Evening Post

#13 ·
From todays EP. Hopefully there will be no objections to this project. It will be a huge boost for Nottingham's medical industry. The amount of jobs it will create is brilliant considering the current economic conditions.

MORE than 30 people attended a public meeting this evening about plans for a new science development in Nottingham.
The meeting over the MediPark research facility at the Queen's Medical Centre was held at St Mary's Church in Lenton.
Some residents supported the plans for the £100m park but others were worried it may cause parking problems in the area.
Wollaton resident Julia Hibbitt, 77, said: "I've lived in the area for 70 years and I've seen a lot of changes.
"Anything to bring more industry into this part of the city is a good idea."
An outline planning application for the MediPark is to be submitted to Nottingham City Council in April.

#17 ·
This looks like an outstanding development. Being right between the Jubilee Innovation centre and Nottingham Science park, the location is ideal. The architecture is daring and reflective of the work being done there too. Very nice. Would look even better with the damn tram going through it!!

#19 ·
Sounds as though the new Medipark ideas are getting lots of support from the council...the tram seems to be a sticking point. This tram line *really* needs to get sorted.

CITY councillors have given proposals for a £100m MediPark a ringing endorsement.
The scheme would provide accommodation for up to 200 science and medical-related businesses on a site next to the Queen's Medical Centre.

The initial designs locate the "futuristic" buildings in pods, each one in the shape of a clover leaf. The glazed structures would be largely covered by white "louvres", which would absorb sunlight and glow faintly after dark.

The proposals went before city councillors on the development control committee yesterday in advance of an outline application being submitted in the coming months.
Labour councillor Cat Arnold said: "I really admire these proposals. I think it is bold, ambitious and innovative. It is the kind of design we should be doing in Nottingham."
The proposals include extensive tree planting, with car parking hidden underground and pedestrian routes across the site.

"I find it pleasing," said Coun Arnold. "I really hope it goes ahead."
Coun Malcolm Wood, another Labour member, said: "As a designated science city, we need to firmly support this sector. I know these designs are only illustrative but I think they are excellent. It is the type of architecture I would like to see in a science park."
If the scheme was approved, it would be built during a 13-year period. The buildings would be of three storeys, arranged around courtyards. There would be green roofs.
Applicant Nottingham Regeneration Ltd says the cycle routes along the River Leen would be enhanced and the site would be serviced by a new tram line – provided the extension of the tram system went ahead in light of the Conservatives' refusal to deliver funding from Nottinghamshire County Council.

Coun Graham Chapman, another Labour member, said: "It is an excellent scheme but there are difficulties. A lot of the value will be predicated on the tram going through and if it does not, a scheme like this will fall apart."
Public consultation generated a mixed response, with some residents saying worried about parking problems the development may bring and others hoping the jobs created would go to local workers.

Liberal Democrat councillor Alex Foster said: "It will be an interesting and exciting place to work. A great advantage is its accessibility by tram and bike."
There was some concern among councillors about the length of time the development would take. They felt that during 13 years, it may be hard to maintain consistency in the quality of the buildings.
Conservative councillor Georgina Culley said: "Over 13 years the cost of building some of these units will rise. We have to ensure the standards are maintained."

#25 ·
This was in Construction news recently as part of their focus on large scale science-based projects. It is the largest single science project in the UK apart from the national science research centre in london. It was valued by the magazine at about £185 million

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.