daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Victoria

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2014, 05:49 AM   #121
Planks & Sticks
Rabid Furry Skier

Likes (Received): 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
That was something mentioned by Brent Toderian, Melbourne does city centre and inner-city really well but Sydney does suburbs better than us, in fact Melbourne is one of the worst in the World when it comes to suburbs but don't be disheartened there are changes afoot. He also mentioned that many cities in the World would kill for our tram network which is far more sustainable than bus networks.
The suburban apartment wheels are now in motion though with many proposals now being considered viable that would have been laughable just 5 years ago. I am now seeing places that aren't traditionally considered inner city start to change faces (such as many activity centres around the railway stations - Croydon, Ringwood, Mitcham, etc). Even the inner city locations are now starting to have quite a bit of activity going on, such as around Lygon Street, Nicholson Street, Holden Street, High Street in Thornbury and so on. It's rapidly changing!

Now about that tram network... we need that to run like a quasi-metro service NOW, put in proper right of way, "signalise" certain tram route right of ways - so that it is less likely to stop at arbitrary traffic lights, increase the distance between stops and rapidly speed up the tram services where possible - grade separate them if needed! It has a coverage of a metro network, just does an incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly poor job at it.

Grampians, cocotutch liked this post
Planks & Sticks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #122
PaPa Riddlz
Registered Alcoholic

Likes (Received): 4090

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
Holy shit is that ALOT of construction projects!
Yep, it's hard to keep track of all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Dawn
Communism and Capitalism are tools/weapons of the Illuminati.
PaPa Riddlz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #123
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

Docklands and Fishermans Bend is not that new...Plans have been made over time and it's only the Political Cycle of tearing up predecessors ideas this has not got off the ground yet...

Papps, Mischk, Eastern37 liked this post
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 11:53 AM   #124
Papps

Likes (Received): 539

Such Grand plans were laid afoot!

Can you read the year of the document Red?

It has a hand-written date on the 'star' of 21/9/60... 1860?

It is the first time that I have seen such a grand plan detailing a New York style extension of the Hoddle Grid. Cooool!

Last edited by Papps; December 7th, 2014 at 12:50 PM.
Papps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #125
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planks & Sticks View Post
The suburban apartment wheels are now in motion though with many proposals now being considered viable that would have been laughable just 5 years ago. I am now seeing places that aren't traditionally considered inner city start to change faces (such as many activity centres around the railway stations - Croydon, Ringwood, Mitcham, etc). Even the inner city locations are now starting to have quite a bit of activity going on, such as around Lygon Street, Nicholson Street, Holden Street, High Street in Thornbury and so on. It's rapidly changing!

Now about that tram network... we need that to run like a quasi-metro service NOW, put in proper right of way, "signalise" certain tram route right of ways - so that it is less likely to stop at arbitrary traffic lights, increase the distance between stops and rapidly speed up the tram services where possible - grade separate them if needed! It has a coverage of a metro network, just does an incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly poor job at it.
Well I did question the fact that we are one of the worst in the World when it comes to dense suburbia because I see large apartment buildings in many suburbs - that can also be interpreted as the inner-city but the inner-city of Melbourne is so huge it is the size of many small cities. When travelling to Cambridge via rail there is a suburb just before you get there - my eyes nearly popped out, I couldn't believe all the high-rise apartment developments that are popping up there and it is quite far out of the city - is it Doncaster ?

Then we decided to visit Hampton - epic fail. Extremely car friendly and very pedestrian unfriendly. It reminded me a lot of Auckland suburbs so we won't be going back there in a hurry. Hampton needs an enema but judging by the people I think that it is nimbyville ?

PaPa Riddlz liked this post
Old December 8th, 2014, 06:40 AM   #126
PaPa Riddlz
Registered Alcoholic

Didn't know we had a suburb called Cambridge in Melbourne

Do you perhaps mean Camberwell?

Quote:
Old December 8th, 2014, 06:47 AM   #127
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa Riddlz View Post
Didn't know we had a suburb called Cambridge in Melbourne

Do you perhaps mean Camberwell?
Canterbury ?
Old December 8th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #128
John_Proctor

Likes (Received): 563

^ must have meant Camberwell (or Canterbury which is a few stops further on the same train line) with Glenferrie/Hawthorn as the place with all the apartments going up?
John_Proctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 07:03 AM   #129
Planks & Sticks
Rabid Furry Skier

Likes (Received): 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
Well I did question the fact that we are one of the worst in the World when it comes to dense suburbia because I see large apartment buildings in many suburbs - that can also be interpreted as the inner-city but the inner-city of Melbourne is so huge it is the size of many small cities. When travelling to Cambridge via rail there is a suburb just before you get there - my eyes nearly popped out, I couldn't believe all the high-rise apartment developments that are popping up there and it is quite far out of the city - is it Doncaster ?
As others have mentioned, that's probably Glenferrie which has Swinburne University located there. The railway corridor between Burnley and Camberwell is slowly starting to have a mini tower canyon which no doubt will become more pronounced as more towers go up. Though Doncaster is starting to make an impression from the train line just before Box Hill!

Quote:
Then we decided to visit Hampton - epic fail. Extremely car friendly and very pedestrian unfriendly. It reminded me a lot of Auckland suburbs so we won't be going back there in a hurry. Hampton needs an enema but judging by the people I think that it is nimbyville ?
I don't mind some suburbs being a heavily car invested type of suburb as long they pay for their own means of living in a car based lifestyle. I am more concerned about having a city that is able to provide a wide range of choice where people can choose an environment to match their own needs and expectations, which is where places like Ringwood, Box Hill, Doncaster, etc, comes into play. Places like Croydon, Werribee, Epping and et al tend to be heavily car orientated, but though even those places are starting to transform with a core that somewhat gives a middle ground while surrounded by suburbs for everyone else.
Planks & Sticks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #130
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Proctor View Post
^ must have meant Camberwell (or Canterbury which is a few stops further on the same train line) with Glenferrie/Hawthorn as the place with all the apartments going up?
I had a look at our pics and it was Canterbury

Quote:
I don't mind some suburbs being a heavily car invested type of suburb as long they pay for their own means of living in a car based lifestyle. I am more concerned about having a city that is able to provide a wide range of choice where people can choose an environment to match their own needs and expectations, which is where places like Ringwood, Box Hill, Doncaster, etc, comes into play. Places like Croydon, Werribee, Epping and et al tend to be heavily car orientated, but though even those places are starting to transform with a core that somewhat gives a middle ground while surrounded by suburbs for everyone else.
By all means, it is very rare that we go to the outlying suburbs, one doesn't need to when you live in the city but we are still exploring. I just think that it can't be that difficult to provide the town centre with a few pedestrian crossings, especially on busy roads such as in Hampton.
Old February 9th, 2015, 04:02 AM   #131
PaPa Riddlz
Registered Alcoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa Riddlz View Post
List update

A bit of movement here and there in terms of status and I corrected some of the heights to 'approximate' where they aren't properly known yet.

Tell me if anything's incorrect

Quote:
Old February 10th, 2015, 03:07 PM   #132
cocotutch

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:

I have never seen a post that summarises Yarra Trams so well.

I love our tram network but for crying out loud it's quicker to walk to most places around the city than take one. If we gave trams right-of-way or somehow prioritised tram traffic it would be ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT.
cocotutch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 08:56 AM   #133
PaPa Riddlz
Registered Alcoholic

Why is Aus108 included in "under assessment" as well as "approved"? It looks smaller too in the second one.

Aurora MC absent as well. Sorry A-Brain!

Quote:
Old April 4th, 2017, 02:36 AM   #134
PaPa Riddlz
Registered Alcoholic

Latest

Quote:
Old April 4th, 2017, 03:19 AM   #135
Dean

Likes (Received): 911

Hey Ridz
Im pretty sure Riverina Footscray towers are well UC now.
2 Clarendon Street Hotel is also UC.
Collins House has piling rigs onsite UC.
72-82 Collins 190m is at Demo.Piling starts next week
130 Lonsdale Office(not on your list)i think it's 144m is at Demo
Collins Arch is UC
Southbank Place is UC
Capital Grand is UC
Dean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 04:43 AM   #136
PaPa Riddlz
Registered Alcoholic

Thanks dean, couple I missed.

130 lonsdale is there(118-148 lonsdale), just haven't changed the address to reflect the two towers, not sure what the new height is now either.

Think still excavating for collins arch and capitol grand??

Quote:
Old April 4th, 2017, 05:47 AM   #137
Dean

Likes (Received): 911

No worries.

update 130 Lonsdale is 148m

As for Collins Arch and CG, Well shoring and piling started on those some time ago so i'd say they're both UC. They have deep basements so it might be a while before we see lift cores.

I thought i had seen Riverina underway - thanks to Glenn
Dean no está en línea   Reply With Quote