daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد

United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد The exciting new world in Dubai , Abu Dhabi and other Emirates

Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:15 PM   #1
guy_in_dubai
skyscrapers!!

Likes (Received): 1

Harrods in Dubai!

From Gulfnews
http://www.gulfnews.com/images/06/10..._harrods_4.jpg
Harrods' entry to raise Dubai's retail profile

By Robert Ditcham, Staff Reporter

Dubai: Harrods' entry into Dubai would boost the emirate's profile in retailing, which has attracted famous branded stores.

A source told Gulf News the deal is 99 per cent sealed with only the small details to clarify.

If the deal is finalised, Harrods will follow in the footsteps of major UK luxury department store Harvey Nichols, which opened in Dubai's Mall of the Emirates in May this year, following a Dh100 million investment and partnership deal with Al Tayer Group.

It remains unclear whether the Harrods brand will be introduced in its full London department store format, or solely as a food and well-being retailer under the Harrods 102 name.

Neil Tunbridge, head of retail services at Dubai-based analysts GRMC, said it is likely that Harrods will initially focus on high quality convenience food with a long-term view to introducing a general department store.

"The Harrods name is obviously very well know in the Arab world because of its connections [to Harrod's Egyptian owner Mohamad Al Fayed]," he said.

"But regarding its overall success only time will tell. Shoppers here have yet to become fully comfortable with the multi-brand department store format, but this could change as the market matures."

Takeover

Harrods is run by Al Fayed following a controversial £615 million takeover of the House of Fraser Group in the mid-1980s. Al Fayed pumped £300 million into a store refurbishment plan following a period of decline.

The House of Fraser later went public, but Al Fayed retained private ownership of Harrods and went on to take control of London football club Fulham FC.

Following unsuccessful attempts to gain British citizenship and involvement in the cash for questions scandal, Al Fayed was devastated by news of the death of his son Dodi and Diana, Princess of Wales in a 1997 Paris car crash.
guy_in_dubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:18 PM   #2
dubaiflo
visit my homepage

Likes (Received): 7

a real Harrods store would be quite cool, it is a very famous brand.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #3
DarkBlueBoss

Likes (Received): 0

i somehow doubt seeing harrods here anyway,
AL Fayed, was in Dubai, many years before, however, due to some conflict between him and the royal family, he left dubai, and with drew from all his investments ....

so unless they make up, we'll see what happens

He is the loving grandfather, leading the prayers in the mosque while His infant grandson clambers upon His shoulders.

He is the only Man to have journeyed to heaven and back.

He is the Hero of Heroes.
DarkBlueBoss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #4
DG
Emirian Lady

Likes (Received): 0

i read somewhere that Al Fayed got the UAE citizenship and the dubai world trade center was his property. Is it right?
DG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #5
guy_in_dubai
skyscrapers!!

i dont like the harrods idea...but if we were to have one PLEASE OH PLEASE not in dubailand!!!

and also, why is everyone avatar cept my fuzzy?
Old October 5th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #6
shayan
Prince of Persia

Likes (Received): 15

Harrods would be sooooo cool I would love to see one in Dubai !!!!
sixty years ago, upon the invitation of the Russian Red Cross, Princess Ashraf Pahlavi, twin sister of the Shah of Iran, went to see Stalin in order to demand the retrieval of Soviet invading forces from Iran. The princess entered the Kremlin where she pleaded with great passion for the liberation of Iran, her motherland. Impressed by her courage, Stalin became all smiles. He said loudly to his rather stern entourage: "Now here is a brave and true patriot." Pravda, June 28, 1946.
shayan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #7
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 68

Harrods denies Dubai store rumours
by Roger Field

Harrods, a prestigious UK department store, has no immediate plans to enter the UAE market, according to a company spokesman. Harrods, a luxury UK department store, has rebuffed recent press speculation that it is planning to open a store in Dubai. Rumours that Harrods was preparing to enter the UAE spread after a local business group apparently approached the company with the intention of entering a partnership to bring the brand to Dubai.

But while some press reports claimed that a deal between Harrods and a local company was almost complete, a spokesman for Harrods told Retail News Middle East that the retailer has no definite plans to open up in the UAE.

“At any given point Harrods will have unsolicited speculative interest from operators in a handful of locations worldwide,” he said. “Dubai is a location that has warranted some initial evaluation, but there are no definite plans to take the Harrods brand to Dubai, or indeed anywhere else in the world, at this time.”

Harrods was initially rumoured to be in talks with Dubai Festival City, although a UAE-based retail analyst has dismissed this. “I was aware of several people looking at the franchise, neither of which were either the site or the people announced in the papers,” he said. He added that one of the companies hoping to acquire the Harrods’ franchise for the UAE was interested in bringing just part of the Harrods concept, rather than the full store concept to the country.

Neil Tunbridge, head of retail services at Dubai-based analysts GRMC, said that the Dubai market might not be ready for a big department store such as Harrods.

“Department stores here don’t tend to work that well because the retail market here. While it is booming, is still relatively immature,” he said. “I don’t think consumers here get the multi-brand department store format.”
Dubai_Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #8
Nasrawi
BANNED

How's Saks Fifth Avenue Dubai doing so far?

"One of the companies was interested in bringing just part of the Harrods concept to the country".

I think they should just form a Dubai-based upscale department store (we already have a few of them, but I think they should start from scratch). People should associate this name with Dubai like Harrods in London, Galeries Lafayette in Paris, Saks Fifth Avenue in New York or KaDeWe in Berlin.

Lamcy Plaza doesn't qualify.
Nasrawi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #9
guy_in_dubai
skyscrapers!!

saks is doing pretty well actually and so is harvey nics

lol abt the lamcy plaza thing and i also agree with u abt the department store for dubai thing. what could they call it? dubai store? lol
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #10
SA BOY
back in the real world

Likes (Received): 43

Harrods is comming but I cant tell you where sorry. I have seen the layouts
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #11
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasrawi View Post
I think they should just form a Dubai-based upscale department store (we already have a few of them, but I think they should start from scratch). People should associate this name with Dubai like Harrods in London, Galeries Lafayette in Paris, Saks Fifth Avenue in New York or KaDeWe in Berlin.

Lamcy Plaza doesn't qualify.
Upscale or not, KARAMA will be perfect. The name being similar to Karma will add flavor. I say DO IT!
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote