• daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on one | forums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Archives

Old February 5th, 2003, 09:21 AM   #1
JayT
Like whatever....

Likes (Received): 534

BBB - Macarthur Office tower - BBB

Well Its been under construction now for a few weeks so I'd better start a thread about it.

Does anyone have any recent info or pictures?

I noticed that there is now a massive platform hanging over Queen Street. It has been there for about a week and the crane has been there for about 5 or 6 weeks. Looks like the Office tower part of the development is well under construction.

I am actually quite interested in this one as it will "canionise" that part of Queen Street and its considerably taller than the old Macarther chambers building on the corner. I like the Green Glass too.

JayT

Sponsored Links

Old February 5th, 2003, 11:12 AM   #2
Fountainhead

Likes (Received): 0

I have a feeling that they may be altering the tower design, as nothing has been released since the shopping centre was completed and the tower started construction. I found these pics on ML Design's website, which does not give anything away. Also, they do not have any information on their site about the tower, but they have heaps on the shopping centre and other very recent brisbane towers that did not proceed (which I posted in another thread), so they are keeping something secret:

this view has a much taller tower than what was posted on the construction hoardings ages ago, and steps inward:

This is the design from Leightons website, but the renderings are pretty old:

All very mysterious!!! I did hear a rumour that they had increased the tower from 18 to 35 storeys, but who knows.......
Fountainhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 11:34 AM   #3
Mr MacPhisto

If it was 35 storeys would that mean 120 metres on top of the existing shopping centre?
That would make it a little taller than the CBA building over the road
Old February 6th, 2003, 06:19 AM   #4
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 750

Depending on the sort of roof decorations and floor-to-floor heights, a 35 storey tower could potentially go over 150m. I will be praying the 18 storey concept has been changed. But if it has, why the hell hasn't anyone heard anything about it?
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2003, 08:06 AM   #5
JayT
Like whatever....

My God, Brisbane is a city of Mysteries. This tower is already under construction and yet we know nothing much about it. If it were Melbourne, Sydney, Perth or Adelaide we would know everything right down to how many metres hight, how many floors and - well EVERYTHING!

So are we just going to watch it rise and hope for the best? Watch it rise and get a surprize if it is 35 stories??

Who knows - this is Brisbane, anything could happen.

JayT
Old February 6th, 2003, 08:07 AM   #6
JayT
Like whatever....

BTW fountainhead, thanks for the photos

jt
Old February 6th, 2003, 08:47 AM   #7
hoffburger
$5.95 with coke and fries

maybe its gone the other way and has been down graded to like 10 stories?????? i certainly hope not, that would be a complete waste of space although it seems the proposed tower is aswell
hoffburger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2003, 09:13 AM   #8
Fountainhead

JayT - I am also amazed at the lack of information about this tower. Even the lowliest little suburban office block has more information. Any other tower in the city that gets to this stage at least has a website for leasing and general information, but there is nothing. Even on the developers own website it is listed as "an office tower the size of which has yet to be resolved"

http://www.leightonproperties.com.au/macarthur.htm

unbelievable, what the f**k have they got to hide??
Old February 6th, 2003, 12:12 PM   #9
Mr MacPhisto

Perhaps they already have a secretive tenant lined up.
Yeah I agree Chris, if it did turn out to be 35 storeys it would be great if they added some sort of decrative spire or feature on the roof to build the height up a bit.
Old February 7th, 2003, 02:39 AM   #10
JayT
Like whatever....

<table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by Mr MacPhisto </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>Perhaps they already have a secretive tenant lined up.
Yeah I agree Chris, if it did turn out to be 35 storeys it would be great if they added some sort of decrative spire or feature on the roof to build the height up a bit.</td></tr>
</table>

I thought it was already fully leased by the Department of Veterans affairs or something?

That could be why there isn't much info.

jayt
Old February 7th, 2003, 03:45 AM   #11
Fountainhead

<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by JayT </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top><table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by Mr MacPhisto </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>Perhaps they already have a secretive tenant lined up.
Yeah I agree Chris, if it did turn out to be 35 storeys it would be great if they added some sort of decrative spire or feature on the roof to build the height up a bit.</td></tr>
</table>

I thought it was already fully leased by the Department of Veterans affairs or something?

That could be why there isn't much info.

jayt</td></tr>
</table>

I also read that, but the tower was not fully leased. They were taking only about 1/4 of the 18 storey scheme
Old February 7th, 2003, 05:31 AM   #12
BrizzyChris

Maybe they are waiting to see what happens with Queens Square, and whether Suncorp might like to take a chunk in MacArthur??
Old February 7th, 2003, 08:36 AM   #13
Mr MacPhisto

I thought Veterans Affairs were only taking 5000 SQM leaving a hell of a lot of floor space for another major tenant.
Old February 7th, 2003, 09:16 AM   #14
Fountainhead

<tr><td align=left valign=top>I thought Veterans Affairs were only taking 5000 SQM leaving a hell of a lot of floor space for another major tenant.</td></tr>
</table>

exactly........I think the lettable area for the 18 storey tower proposal is 20-25,000SqM.

I thought the DVA were meant to be part of the whole new BCC administration thing, or at least that is what they said when the tender process was started (which queens square won). They have definately signed up for macarthur, but there is a lot more space left in the tower. 25% of a building does not sound like much of a precommitment. Still does not explain why there is not much information ou there about the macarthur tower though.

Walking past the site today, I did notice they had a big plywood sign board hanging over the entrance on queen street, so it looks like they will have a banner out there soon.
Old February 9th, 2003, 07:04 AM   #15
W∆ROM
formely known as "wadems"

WHen i rand them up and asked about the height they got all shitty with me and wanted to know why i wanted to know. I suspect they are hiding the true height of this tower. Hopefully its 150m+
Old February 9th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #16
Mr MacPhisto

That's interesting Fountainhead.
I would have thought the Department of Veterans Affairs would be a Federal Government Department.

So much space....
Could it be Suncorp are weighing up this option too?
I guess there's nothing to do but wait and speculate.
Old February 10th, 2003, 01:03 AM   #17
Fountainhead

.......well, I walked past the site on the way into work this morning, and the familiar little box that is an excuse for macarthur tower has a new rendering on Queen Street. It is the same old dissapointing 15/16 storeys above podium, although they seem to have developed the facade treatment a bit more than the last series of renderings (no green glass JayT!!)

DAMN!!! It was nice to have hope for a while.....
Old February 10th, 2003, 05:06 AM   #18
BrizzyChris

****!
Old February 10th, 2003, 07:35 PM   #19
Gester
I want Candy!

<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by Fountainhead </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>.......well, I walked past the site on the way into work this morning, and the familiar little box that is an excuse for macarthur tower has a new rendering on Queen Street. It is the same old dissapointing 15/16 storeys above podium, although they seem to have developed the facade treatment a bit more than the last series of renderings (no green glass JayT!!)

DAMN!!! It was nice to have hope for a while.....</td></tr>
</table>

Hope in Brisbane? LOL you'll only get dissapointed
Old February 11th, 2003, 08:36 AM   #20
JayT
Like whatever....

I wonder when Tays will put in a "Quick link" to this and other Brisbane projects?

There are a few missing.

jt