daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine
Old January 26th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #1001
Sampathkumar

Likes (Received): 59

Additional train services sought from Tuticorin

Tuticorin: The members of Tuticorin District Passengers Welfare Association in association with the Consumer Rights Protection Association, staged a demonstration in front of the railway station here on Sunday, demanding additional train services.

The agitating protestors alleged that Tuticorin was being neglected despite its potentiality. The Tuticorin-Coimbatore link express train service should be made operational as it was announced during the budget session.

More importantly, the members stressed the need for introducing train services from Tuticorin to Madurai during daytime.

“Since a large number of people are plying between these two districts on a daily basis, the authorities concerned have to work out modalities,” M. Piramnayagam, secretary, Passengers Welfare Association, said.

Moreover, they placed demands for an additional train to Chennai from Tuticorin via Tiruchi, Thanjavur and Mayiladuthurai. The bogies should be added in the Pearl City express, which is bound for Chennai from here, to clear the rush.

“As for now, the express train has 20 bogies and four more bogies are required. Since the Pearl City Express train is the only rail communication for passengers to reach Chennai from Tuticorin, they have been depending on it largely,” he said.

A petition seeking to fulfil these demands was given to S.R. Jayadurai, MP, Tuticorin.

http://www.hindu.com/2010/01/26/stor...2651190300.htm
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #1002
BlackPearl

Likes (Received): 345

Hope for SPIC in horizon

Please read the news in the below link.

http://www.business-standard.com/ind...-plant/383834/
BlackPearl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #1003
BlackPearl

Tuty - General Updates

I was in Tuty during the holiday season and moved around Tuty to note down some updates

Coastal Energen - Work has started, Gammon India has won the plant construction contract and one can see their machineries with the company name at the plant site. Loads of engineers in the plant site. One can see Coastal Energen staff bus plying inside the town during the mornings. Their corporate office in Tuty is near P&T Colony.

NLC Power Plant - Work has started here also.. Along beach road in mornings one can see the sand trucks moving around that area

Pearl City Food SEZ - I didnt go to the SEZ site... but there is a site direction on the Tuty - Palai NH after Vagaikulam there is a 8 KM stretch of then laid 1 side of 4 lane road, at the end of this stretch one can see the sign board to Food SEZ

Udangudi Power Plant - There is only 1 sign board of the plant site some 10 -12 KMs from Tiruchendur on the Coastal Road to kanniyakumari. The site was in fully covered with water due to the heavy rains in Dec. Except the sign board nothing has been done there, although one can see some progress updates on their websites.

Speaking about Roads - It is different picture from a year earlier. India has done a lot on infrastructure front these days... It took 3 hrs 15 mins from trivandrum to tuty with no traffic-sort of late night travel.. I remember doing it in more than 5 hrs some 4-5 yrs back.... then the ECR to Nagai is done great... it took me 5hrs 30 mins to reach Velankanni from Tuty (336 KMs) with half an hour break and the drive was during the day... then Madurai - Tuty 4 laning is nearly 50 % complete...and it should be done by the end of this year...while they claim it will be done by Mar 2010. Did a drive from Tiruchy to Tuty....tiruchy to Madurai is nearly completed... I dont know what are they doing about the Madurai By-Pass...there is no hint of it getting expanded to 4 laning...

The thermal power plant after the by-pass road is fully completed and trial runs are on I guess.. Lots of activities around Tuty... remember still SPIC, TAC and HWP is not in operation for the last 2 yrs... if they also start production the economy of Tuty will flourish...

Also a quick note on the Engineering College.... nice to see some Engg colleges around Tuty.

News from the web, in the next agenda for SEZ clearance meeting.. St John is looking for an approval for a SEZ on 1000 ha - a massive...I will post the link in another post.

Cheers!
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:25 AM   #1004
Sampathkumar

Likes (Received): 59

Work begins on Tuticorin power project

NEYVELI: The work on the coal-based Tuticorin power plant has begun and it will be commissioned during 2012-2013, according to A.R.Ansari, Chairman-cum-Managing Director of the Neyveli Lignite Corporation.

He was delivering a speech at the Republic Day function held here on Tuesday.

Windmills

The Chairman said that the NLC had identified Cumbum and Sengottai for setting up windmills with initial power generation capacity of 50 MW and with a provision to scaling it up to 200 MW in course of time.

About other new projects undertaken by the NLC, Mr. Ansari said lignite production at Barsingsar in Rajasthan had commenced and a 125-MW power unit had been synchronised. It was the first NLC project to be synchronised outside Neyveli, he said.

Other projects

Other projects under formulation were the Bithnok mine-cum-power project, new power project in Neyveli and the Barsingsar expansion project.

As part of the corporate social responsibilities, the NLC had contributed generously to the peripheral development scheme, renovation of school buildings, provision of furniture and construction of roads.

Mr. Ansari said that the home journal “Lignite Eyes” and the newsletter “Lignite Lifeline” would help the employees to get the right perspective about the company and the guidelines of the vigilance department.

The NLC had won the prestigious “Shramik Shiksha Award,” instituted by the Centre, for having imparted training among the highest number of employees and the “Best establishment in the region award” for having imparted quality apprenticeship training.

In sports too the employees had done well by winning 13 gold, seven silver and 10 bronze medals in the State athletic meet held at Tiruchi.

http://www.hindu.com/2010/01/28/stor...2853470500.htm
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #1005
kg4129

Likes (Received): 2249

Thx Blackpearl for the updates
kg4129 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:26 AM   #1006
chennaidesi

Likes (Received): 515

Good summary of updates Blackpearl

I wish local guys should give this kind of updates periodically so others understand the situation.
Good luck for Tuty to become a tier 2 city soon.
chennaidesi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #1007
shunc

Likes (Received): 3

Govt clears four port projects worth Rs 4,120 cr

A high-level panel, headed by Finance Secretary Ashok Chawla, has cleared four port expansion projects entailing an estimated investment of Rs 4,120.29 crore in three states.

The Public Private Partnership Appraisal Committee (PPPAC) has granted approval for development of mega container terminal at the Chennai Port at an estimated cost of Rs 3,125 crore, an official statement said today.

The committee, in a meeting held earlier this month, also cleared the project to develop a multi-purpose berth at the Paradip Port in Orissa to handle clean cargo. The estimated cost of the project is Rs 387.31 crore, it said.

The panel approved development of the second North Cargo Berth at the Tuticorin Port in Tamil Nadu for handling bulk cargo at a cost of Rs 332.16 crore.

The development of container terminal at the New Mangalore Port has also been approved at an estimated cost of Rs 275.82 crore
http://http://www.business-standard....20-cr/84158/on

Last edited by shunc; January 28th, 2010 at 07:23 AM.
shunc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #1008
BlackPearl

New SEZ Application

First of all thanks to all for the encouraging words on my earlier posts

Okay in the next SEZ meeting to be held on 11th Feb 2010.. there are 3 items for Tuty to be taken up.

1) New SEZ application from the local company St John in the name of Smart World City Infra - this is a big one for 1000 ha (~2400 acres)... my guess' are in the area near Vilathikulam since I hear that St John has got huge land banks near that... I really wish the dry tracts of Vilathikulam, Ettayapuram and Ottaipidaram catches the eyes of prospective investors. These places are hardly 30-50 Kms from Tuty Port but has remained the most underdeveloped areas in the State. The population density of these areas is a mere 150 per sq.km, the state average is around 480. Govt has not done much to these areas only private investors can tap this potential at a very lucrative price. Land Prices are so cheap.

2) Sterlite request for converting the in-principle approval to a formal approval... The area is the same near the present Sterlite plant.

3) CCCL requesting approval for more facilities in their food Park.

The link for the same is as below
http://sezindia.nic.in/writereaddata...ary%202010.pdf

We can see the results of the meetings in a day or two after the meeting in the same site sezindia.nic.in

Cheers!
Old January 30th, 2010, 04:42 AM   #1009
Arul Murugan

Likes (Received): 12380

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I was in Tuty during the holiday season and moved around Tuty to note down some updates

Coastal Energen - Work has started, Gammon India has won the plant construction contract and one can see their machineries with the company name at the plant site. Loads of engineers in the plant site. One can see Coastal Energen staff bus plying inside the town during the mornings. Their corporate office in Tuty is near P&T Colony.

Cheers!
Very nice update, I hope by next time when you travel to Tuticorin, Madurai will become International airport with direct flights to Middle east & Singapore.
Old January 30th, 2010, 04:46 AM   #1010
Arul Murugan

Likes (Received): 12380

Sethu project works starts again

சேது சமுத்திர திட்டப் பணிகள் மீண்டும் துவக்கம் : 'தினமலர்' செய்தியால் மத்திய அரசு அதிரடி

ராமநாதபுரம் : "தினமலர்' செய்தியால், மத்திய அரசின் அதிரடி நடவடிக்கையாக,சேது சமுத்திர திட்டப் பணிகளை மீண்டும் துவங்கி உள்ள நிலையில், அதற்கான கருவிகளும் மன்னார் வளைகுடா, பாக்., ஜலசந்தியில்பொருத்தப்பட உள்ளன. கப்பல் போக்குவரத்தை மேம்படுத்தும் விதமாக, மத்திய அரசு சார்பில் சேது சமுத்திர திட்டம் கொண்டுவரப்பட்டது. "ராமர் பாலம் பாதிப்பதாக,' எழுந்த சர்ச்சையை தொடர்ந்து, சுப்ரீம் கோர்ட்டில் வழக்கு தொடரப்பட்டது.
"மாற்று பாதையில், திட்டத்தை நிறைவேற்ற வழிவகை செய்யுமாறு,' மத்திய அரசுக்கு கோர்ட் உத்தரவிட்டது. இதைத் தொடர்ந்து, கமிட்டி ஒன்றும் துவங்கப்பட்டது. கமிட்டியின் செயல்பாடுகள் முடங்கியிருப்பதாகவும், பணிகள் மேம்போக்காக நடப்பதாகவும் "தினமலர்' தொடர்ந்து செய்தி வெளியிட்டது.
இதை, கமிட்டியின் கவனத்துக்கு, அதன் உறுப்பினரான ராமநாதபுரம் கலெக்டர் ஹரிஹரன் கொண்டு சென்றதை தொடர்ந்து, மாற்றுப் பாதை கண்டறிந்து திட்டத்தை துவக்கும் பணிகளை, மத்திய அரசு உடனடியாக துவங்கி உள்ளது. இதற்காக, தேசிய கடல் ஆராய்ச்சி நிறுவனத்தினர் ராமநாதபுரம் மாவட்டம் வர உள்ளனர். இத்திட்ட பணிகள் தொடர்பாக, கடலின் சுற்றுச்சூழல் மற்றும் அலை அளவை மதிப்பீடு பற்றிய ஆராய்ச்சிகள் மேற்கொள்ளப்பட உள்ளன.
இதற்காக, 90 செ.மீ., விட்டமுள்ள கோள வடிவிலான கருவி, ஆழ்கடலில் நங்கூரம் மூலம் பாய்ச்சப்படும். இதில், மஞ்சள் நிறத்திலான ஒளி, 20 வினாடிக்கு ஒரு முறை ஐந்து முறை கண்ணுக்கு தெரியும் வகையில் ஒளிரும். இதன் மூலம், கடல் மிதவை அளவையும் அறியலாம். மற்றொரு கருவியான நீரோட்டமானி மற்றும் அலைமானியும் பொருத்தப்பட உள்ளன. இது ஒளிரும் தன்மையற்றதாகும்.
அரிச்சல்முனையில் 3 மீட்டர், தனுஷ்கோடியில் 10, 8 மீ., பாம்பன் 3 மீ., ஸ்பிட் 1ல் 2 மீ., ஸ்பிட் 2ல் 2 மீ., கோபாலபட்டினத்தில் 10 மீ., வேதாரண்யத்தில் 20 மீ., திருச்செந்தூரில் 1100 மீ., ஆழத்தில் இக்கருவிகள் பொருத்தப்பட உள்ளன.
கலெக்டர் ஹரிஹரன் கூறியதாவது: குறிப்பிட்ட பகுதிகளில் ஆராய்ச்சிக் கருவிகள் பொருத்தப்பட்டு, உள்ளூர் மீன்பிடி படகுகள் மூலம் கண்காணிக்கப்படும். கடலுக்கு செல்லும் மீனவர்கள், கருவிகளுக்கு சேதம் ஏற்படாதவாறு ஆராய்ச்சிப் பணிகளுக்கு ஒத்துழைக்க வேண்டும் என்றார்.

Dinamalar

Research are being done for altering the route of canal without damaging the chain of Islands (written as Ramar palam here)
Old January 30th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #1011
BlackPearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arul Murugan View Post
Very nice update, I hope by next time when you travel to Tuticorin, Madurai will become International airport with direct flights to Middle east & Singapore.
Thanks Arul, nothing can beat your updates... We have benefitted a lot from all of your updates and useful suggestions. I also strongly wish that Madurai starts receiving Intl Flights, because after completion of Mdu-Tuty 4 lane work it would be less than 90 minutes to reach home. At the same time, this drive can not beat the scenic beauty of the drive from Trivandrum to Nellai. Hopefully 4-laning of Trivandrum to Kavalkinaru is taken up soon. The scenery in the new road could be even better since it will be passing through the mountains than the urban areas in the present route from Trv to Nagercoil.

Cheers!

Last edited by BlackPearl; January 30th, 2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Remove duplicate quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 07:59 PM   #1012
Madurai gilli

Likes (Received): 1334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arul Murugan View Post
Thanks Mr.Arul for your hopeful words...It makes us a positive sense really..Hope the Madurai international airport by this year very badly...
Old January 31st, 2010, 10:10 PM   #1013
BlackPearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madurai gilli View Post
Thanks Mr.Arul for your hopeful words...It makes us a positive sense really..Hope the Madurai international airport by this year very badly...
Gilli, I appreciate your passion for Madurai. I also certainly hope that Madurai gets the required intl airport status very soon. Having a population of more than 1 million certainly qualifies for a full fledged intl airport.

I wanted to point that certain facts based on a study conducted by myself in Middle East. The sample size is 2000 for TN which is fairly large to reduce the margin of errors. The sample is mostly educated crowd. Based on the study, following is the distribution of people among various cities.

Chennai - 37%, with its catchment areas upto Cuddalore, Villupuram in the south and Vellore in the west it constitutes around 42%.

Cauvery Belt - 29 % with the leader not trichy but thanjavur while the other cities/towns -Trichy, Kumbakonam, Mayilai only marginally behind, Cauvery belt includes Trichy, Thanjavur, Nagai, Tiruvarur and Pudukottai districts.

Madurai Region constitutes around 17% with the leader not Madurai but Ramanathapuram/Kilakarai at 6% another 4% plus from Nellai District, Mdu is around 4% and Tuty 1.2% and others from Sivagangai and Dindugal.

Coimbatore region is around 7%. KK Dist around 4 % plus.

This explains why Trichy has evolved as the second largest intl airport in TN after Chennai. Also for districts Ramanathapuram, Karaikudi the diff in distance between Mdu and trichy is only 70-80 Kms.

Then i went down to analyze why Cauvery belt is unusually higher than the other districts, the primary reasons being dependence on agriculture in this belt and whenever monsoons failed there were lot of migration to other countries. Since the sample size is more towards an educated crowd, i expect a variation in numbers with Cauvery belt and Ramanathapuram going upwards and Chennai and other metros dropping few percent. But for the calculation on the number of passengers the above stats would be fine..since higher income ppl travel more often than the lower income ppl.

Also i cant take the argument that if Madurai is granted intl airport, traffic at Kerala airports would go down. Kerala has big numbers on its own to justify the traffic at their airports. Excepting Trivandrum where the southern districts of Tuty,Nellai and KK constitute a smaller part of the total traffic in Trivandrum, other airports are fully dependant on Kerala population.....The bottomline is demand drives supply and all private players study the market potential before making an investment in a destination.

All said and done Madurai needs an international airport. I have placed the facts and figures I have and I guess Tuticorin thread is not the right for a discussion on this subject. We also hope that in another 10-20 yrs time Tuty also get the intl status with traffic that supports it.

Cheers!
Old January 31st, 2010, 11:52 PM   #1014
ChennaiIndian

Likes (Received): 253

You are right. Madurai needs a sustainable industrial and economic base to grow to the next level. I believe the IT parks that are coming up will do some good. In Trichy, BHEL, NIT and now IIM are some notable things fueling its growth; plus Trichy is centrally located and connects all corners of the state. Coming back to the int'l airport status for Madurai...it should happen given the fact it will benefit the neighboring districts too.
ChennaiIndian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:03 PM   #1015
Madurai gilli

Likes (Received): 1334

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Gilli, I appreciate your passion for Madurai. I also certainly hope that Madurai gets the required intl airport status very soon. Having a population of more than 1 million certainly qualifies for a full fledged intl airport.

Cheers!
Thanks for your detailed explanation pearl..

Truly I learnt the fact from your studies..Once again thanks for throwing a positive report on creation of Madurai International Airport..Madurai deserves it.
Old February 4th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #1016
kg4129

Likes (Received): 2249

Agreed with Blackpearl in most of his analysis...

In case of Oil & Gas Industry in Middle east, most of the middle management professionals especially in QC Field (Welding & Painting) from Trichy..Thanks to BHEL / GB/ Chittar Vessels / Veeson's and many more 100's of fabrication industries presence in Trichy (Say 3/5 professionals from Trichy)....

Most of them enjoying leave cycle once in 3 months..and in best case enjoying leave cycle as 28 /28 days

This also one of the reason that Trichy getting bulk of international traffic from middle east...
kg4129 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #1017
shunc

Likes (Received): 3

Gas-insulated switchyard at Tuticorin

http://www.business-standard.com/ind...rders/85296/on

Electrical and Gulf Projects Operating Company, a part of L&T's construction division, has bagged orders aggregating Rs 582 crore for four electrical projects in India and UAE.

The company has secured a Rs 155 order from Tamil Nadu Electricity Board for the turnkey contruction of an environment-friendly multi-circuit transmission line in Chennai. The second order, worth Rs 90 crore, involves the construction of a air insulated sub-station at Uttar Pradesh.

The company has secured another order, worth Rs 70 crore, for building a gas-insulated switchyard at Tuticorin and lastly, a Rs 267 crore order for gas-insulated sub-stations in UAE.

Larsen and Toubro (L&T) is a technology, engineering and construction group.
shunc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #1018
BlackPearl

Tuty - Nellai 4-laning Contract Awarded

In today's (20th Feb 2010) version of the below link there is mention about the 4-laning contract is awarded. Please note the news in the below link changes everyday and it will be available only on that particular day

http://www.dinamalar.com/district_ma...at=Thoothukudi

Brief summary of the news.

Contract awarded to an Andhra based co named Trans Trus (not able to translate properly sorry about it )
Work to start by end of March.

Cheers
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #1019
BlackPearl

SEZ Meeting Updates

The minutes of SEZ approval meeting on 11th Feb can be viewed in the below link

http://www.sezindia.nic.in/writeread...ary%202010.pdf

In Page no 3, the proposal by the local co St Johns for a 1000 ha SEZ in the name of Smart World City Infrastructure Pvt LTd was given an inprinciple approval. There is some confusion with the location mentioning Tirunelveli Dist.. My guess is that the location could on the Tirunelveli Highway.... according to local sources, St John also is having some land in the tuty-Tirunelveli highway at around 5 Kms from Tuty Airport or around 20 Kms from Tuty Town... This could be a possible location, the other location i could think of is near Vilathikulam. This is a massive SEZ planned, the size is 1000 ha i.e around 2500 acres.... Lets hope in another 2 yrs everything materalizes..

In Page no 10, CCCL's SEZ has asked for more authorized operations.

However Sterlite SEZ has not found any mention in the minutes though it was part of the agenda for the meeting... the news is that Sterlite is stuck with the PIL for its expansion of copper smelter plant...

Cheers!
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #1020
BlackPearl

CCCL SEZ Website

I am pleased to inform that there is now a website hoisted for CCCL's Food SEZ.

There is lot of information in the website, including the location, layout and facilities

http://www.pearlcityfoodport.com/

Earlier Guess' in this forum on the location of the SEZ are all right, you can click on the location to check out for the exact location of the SEZ...

Cheers!

Tags
port