SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Madurai Region Projects II

4M views 14K replies 445 participants last post by  Smile_always 
#1 ·
#2,421 ·
Here is a news from Hindu more or less saying the same,

Potential seen for international flights from Madurai

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2008/06/02/stories/2008060250831700.htm
Thanks for the info, Ananth and Madurai.
I'm still hoping that we get an intl connection this year.
However, the news items don't even provide a specific date for when the 7500ft runway work will be completed ......and more importantly, the talk about international flights seems very similar to the talk we have been hearing for the past several years. So I haven't got my hopes up too high.

Btw as some of you may remember, for several years, there have been reports about Air Asia starting a KL-IXM flight.
That now seems unlikely ....because the latest news is that they are starting a Tiruchi-Kuala Lumpur flight ... and they may not fly to both Madurai and Tiruchi.
See http://www.hindu.com/2008/06/02/stories/2008060256550100.htm
TIRUCHI: Air Asia, a low-cost carrier, would soon operate direct air services on the Tiruchi-Kuala Lumpur sector.

The airline is planning daily services on the Kuala Lumpur-Tiruchi-Kuala Lumpur sector from mid-August.
........................​

Every year of delay in getting international status is resulting in more and more lost opportunities.

#2,422 ·
Elecon Engineering sets up WTG gear box service centre

Madurai, June 1 Emtici Engineering Ltd, the marketing and services arm of the Gujarat-based Elecon Engineering Company Ltd, which is a pioneer in the manufacture of bulk material handling equipment in the country and marketing of wind turbine generators (WTG), has set up its WTG gear box service centre at Kunnathur village on Tirumangalam-Tenkasi national highway, near Madurai.

The facility is coming up on a site of 5 acres with an investment of Rs 4 crore, capable of handling 300 gear boxes of up to 2 MW range in two years, according to Mr Vilas Kalyankar, Chief Executive Officer, Gear Division, Elecon Engineering

Till now, the gear boxes were taken to the main workshop at Vidhyanagar in Gujarat for servicing but the establishment of the new facility would help reduce time and distance in attending to these needs. The location has been selected to be nearer areas where windmills operate.

Tamil Nadu alone has around 7,000 windmills. Standby units would be provided while servicing is done, he said speaking to Business Line.

For 2008-09, a specific investment of more than Rs 100 crore for windmill gear box facility is contemplated. A tie-up with Renk, AG of Germany — to design and manufacture gear box for vertical rolling mill to be used in cement and coal industry — is under consideration, he said.
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2008/06/02/stories/2008060250841700.htm

South TN generates large amount of power from wind and still there is greater scope in tapping it to the full potential. Based on such advantages, I hope they decide Madurai as the center for their proposed 100 crore windmill gear box facility.

#2,423 · (Edited)
Paramount to take up global operations by 2011

Special Correspondent

Madurai Chamber of Commerce had approached him in this regard recently.

Yet another news on this. Probably, this shows that the earlier plans by Pawan Hans could be in the shelf.
With due respect to our own paramount airways, in the past few months we saw/read quite few interviews from Mr. Thiagarajan about starting new services and entering western sky and also entering international sky by 2011 but we could see little action in reality. This may due to problem with aircraft supplier or increasing ATF prices etc etc., So I am quite skeptical about this helicopter service also. He is one who invests money and so he will have decide according to market scenario and it is totally correct.

If we recollect the recent events related to postponement of PAWAN HANS service on mdu-kodai front, it is due to non-availability of site for helipad. Mother teresa university refused and two months back Dindigul collector Ms. Vasuki said they are on look out for new sites. If they couldnt find proper site for Pawan Hans, how Paramount can find site? After all dist authorities have to help them out and ensure proper approvals are in place. Correct? Still I sincerely hope any one start the service since it will help little more development of madurai.

#2,424 ·
Elecon Engineering sets up WTG gear box service centre

Dear veeran,

It is good to hear this news. If U recollect some postings in the same place few months back regarding the same, including Mdu gilli and few others mentioned that 200 crore facility is going to be at madurai. After checking the company website and other required sections, I responded saying most likely madurai will have the gear box service centre and not mfg centre. Same happened. Like U, I also hope madurai gets the mfg centre also.

BTW: Elecon has all their facilities only in Gujarat till now.

#2,425 ·
Here is a news from Hindu more or less saying the same,

I am not 100% sure about the passenger statistics. Though he says that it went from 15K to 30K, I thought it was much more than 15K last year itself.
Dear Madurai

in one of my earlier postings, I had given the traffic statistics for madurai for few months. Madurai traffic did cross 30k way back in april 07 and peaked to 36,229 in May 07. After that, it has never touched even 35,000. So what mr. suresh says is partly correct and partly wrong. I have given below for three months traffic for the past few years and from that we can see, it had reached almost 30K last year itself. After that due to increasing ATF price etc traffic growth has come down substantially.

jan 05 - 14273/jan 06 - 17037 / jan 07 - 28314 / jan 08 - 31712
feb 05 - 12216/feb 06 - 15686 / feb 07 - 25222 / feb 08 - 29068
mar 05 - 12909/mar 06 - 15898 / mar 07 - 26850 / mar 08 - 29540

Source: AAI - Traffic section

#2,426 ·
To VIJAY on 90% Patronage in MDU-BLR Flight

Vijay,
Happy to hear that 90% is in MDU-BLR Sector and I think that made AIR DECCAN introducing another service in this sector..

Also When I came by train from Chennai - Madurai last week, I was surprised by a gentleman who told me that he came from MUMBAI to Chennai by flight and travelling from Chennai to Madurai by train because of the unavaliability of air-tickets..He surprised me that all the 9 Flights on MAS-MDU Route were full...I couldn't believe him first but was happily wondering on hearing today's HELLO FM's morning Special news that MADURAI AIRPORT is flooding with Passengers this MAY and all the Flights are going FULL..

Indeed it's really a good news ...we've to wait for some time to get the official announcement from AAI...ANANTH - I think you'll be the first person to exclaim on seeing this report because you kept on worrying that only 65% Passenger patronage were there in MADURAI Flights...

OK Vijay...I flew between HYDERABAD and BANGALORE on May 3rd,2008 by the time I board at New HYDERABAD International Airport ( GMR ) at Shamshabad that was my excellent experience...

And I can remember the one Terminal model posted as IXM New terminal layout as Anniyan (our forumer) some days ago was the one planned for new GMR International Airport, Hyderabad....Still I am having the Hyderabad new airport photos...really the airport was excellent...I couldn't see such a world-class airport in India..If our forumers want me to post the HYD airport photos here, I'll upload them.

And on May 3rd, I was supposed to land at old Bangalore airport only because BIAL was not ready then..

I think You landed at BIAL only...How was the experience there ? If you have some photos on BIAL, Please give us their links after uploadig it in imageshack.us.

#2,427 ·
Rs.500 Crores alloted for MADURAI AIRPORT MODERNISATION.

Yesterday Dailythanthi - Madurai edition stated that Rs.500 Crores alloted in I phase for Madurai Airport MODERNISATION by which many more infrastructures are to be made inside and outside the airport.

7500 ft Runway is nearing completion and after its completion, we can expect the International flights from Madurai on MDU - KUWAIT sector first.

One more new private service is going to launch its MDU-MAS service by the last week of JULY.

Already Ice-cream parlour, bakeries etc are there and the efforts are going on to introduce the RESTAURANT , Fast-food center, CYBER-CAFE etc., in Madurai Airport.

Courtesy : DAILY THANTHI - 01/06/08

#2,429 · (Edited)
Vijay,
Happy to hear that 90% is in MDU-BLR Sector and I think that made AIR DECCAN introducing another service in this sector..
Dear Gilli

I will be much more than happy to see each and every flight from/to mdu going full. Probably my happiness will be more than that of the airlines itself. But what I had mentioned (65%) is arrived at from the numbers posted by AAI in its website. If U see the passenger traffic and no of seats available, U will arrive at. Anyway very nice to hear mdu flights are going full

Reg your posting about mdu airport expansion etc., Pl check my earlier posting as well as mr. madurai's posting on the same. It would be preferable if we avoid repeating the same msg again. Pl sorry for saying it.

#2,430 ·
Dear Friends,
I agree with all your views on Madurai Airport. Every year's delay in getting customs facility at Madurai is a loss for the Madurai passengers and a gain for the neighbouring airports. This is unfair. I remember Air Asia's plans for Madurai, more than 3 years ago and it came in many news reports also. Many other airlines want to fly to/from Madurai. But, only in the recent past, some development work is going on which should be useful in gaining the required facilities.
The industry front is doing their might to highlight the needs. It is only lacking political support. At least now the TN CM had participated in a function related to this. So, let us see how it goes in the next few months. If the terminal work progresses well, then we have a good chance.
Due to lack of flights, many business people from Mumbai/Gujarat area fly to Chennai and take a night train to travel to Madurai. This should change in the future. I am hoping that Paramount or AD/KF would fly Madurai-Bangalore/Mumbai which will open up many connectivities.

#2,432 ·
Vijay,
OK Vijay...I flew between HYDERABAD and BANGALORE on May 3rd,2008 by the time I board at New HYDERABAD International Airport ( GMR ) at Shamshabad that was my excellent experience...

And I can remember the one Terminal model posted as IXM New terminal layout as Anniyan (our forumer) some days ago was the one planned for new GMR International Airport, Hyderabad....Still I am having the Hyderabad new airport photos...really the airport was excellent...I couldn't see such a world-class airport in India..If our forumers want me to post the HYD airport photos here, I'll upload them.
Please Do So Here

#2,433 ·
Agreed.

South TN should be made as separate state with Madurai as capital like Chattisgarh & jaharkhand made.

In that case a separate NIT, IIT or IIM, a Rajadhani exp etc will come for Madurai
We dont want one more water war.

Please wait for two years,we can expect some developments once tidel park,other IT industries come up in South TN.

Like jammu kashmir and other states who is having two assembly hall,we can have it in chennai and madurai.

This will make us to raise our south TN views better.

#2,434 ·
We dont want one more water war.

Please wait for two years,we can expect some developments once tidel park,other IT industries come up in South TN.

Like jammu kashmir and other states who is having two assembly hall,we can have it in chennai and madurai.

This will make us to raise our south TN views better.
Also smaller states will lead to instability in Government , and will lead to reduction in bargaining power for the developement of the states bifuricated.

I personally feel we should not allow Tamilnadu to be bifuricated.

However the feelings of the members is understandable.

Anirudh
salem

#2,435 ·
Anirudh
salem
My apologies for writing here.

Hi Anirudh

I dont want to go into discussion on that issue because this is not the place for it. Just one small reply to your point about smaller states will have less bargaining power. M.P, U.P, Bihar & quite few other states are much bigger than TN and development there is not comparable to TN or Gujarat. Education, industrialisation etc alone makes the state or people prosper and not size. In terms of size kerala is one forth of TN and we all knew the developments there in terms of airport, railway etc compared to our TN. so size is not the criteria for bargaining. My apology for writing here. Probably we can discuss somewhere else in detail about the merits and demerits.

#2,436 ·
Bridge work across Vaigai near Pulloothu, as part of Samayanallur-Thoppur 4 laning work. Picture and news, courtesy Dinakaran.

Related news,

http://dkn.dinakaran.co.in/showxml.aspx?id=268074&code=21976

Bridge work is expected to finish by the year end and traffic is expected to start after that.
So the completion date of Samayanallur-Thoppur ring road has been postponed to Dec 2008 from May 2008. How is the progress on Madurai-Trichy and Madurai-Dindigul 4 laning ?. If im right both the sections have a completion date of Dec 2008.

#2,437 ·
Dear Madhan

U must have gone through one of my earlier postings which was posted few weeks back. I am very much disturbed the way the govt bend upon setting up everything in madras and few in trichy and coimbatore and nothing in madurai. People will find it difficult to digest that, madras which is located in one end of the state, has 8 universities and also IIT. People have to travel all the way to madras if they have anything to do with Medical university, law university, veternary university and so on. This puts pressure on infrastructure of madras also. I failed to understand the logic in setting up world class university in coimbatore when there are already 3 govt universities and 3 deemed universities from private sector. If the central govt's logic of proper train, bus and air connectivity and located centrally is the reason then madurai or trichy is more suited than coimbatore because coimbatore is again in one corner and 400kms from madras & 350 kms from nagercoil or kanyakumari. I am totally fed up with TN politicians as well as our Ministers in Central Govt and dont see any hope for madurai in any area.
I feel that the place chosen for IIM was not correct. I dont noe hw trichy came into the field for the race in IIM?? IIM was initially announced for coimbatore, now they say its trichy, who knows tomo it mite be to madurai ?
Trichy already has REC, which is likely to upgraded to IIT . and also BIM- well known management institute is thr, It is really ridiculous to select trichy for IIM.
Regarding world class university at coimbatore. If u see closely the list of cities proposed by HRD - its all the second imp./largest cities next to the state capital . For eg., it is vizag in AP, mysore in KR, etc.,., like wise it is coimbatore in TN. Its high time that cbe got its recognition from central govt. some things should be done for the further momentum of growth of these secondary cities orelse there would be slack in the growth of all the tier2's in TN. dont compare with intra cities of the state. Might if priority is not given to cbe in certain things , then there might be not city in the state to be in comparable status with vizag/ mysore/ nagpur of other states.
Im not even optimistic of WC univ comin to coimbatore, as TN govt will not be able to find huge chunks of land here..

#2,438 · (Edited)
^^ Please make your opinions on world class university at Coimbatore and about CBE in general in Coimbatore thread and not here.

Please guys stop responding to irrelavant posts on where goes which institute or need for new state etc. Lets stick on to the core issues which this thread is meant for. I hope the MODS take a look at various posts and clear a few so that those discussions do not continue further.

3 IT SEZs in Madurai gets notified as SEZ

The SEZ India website has been updated recently and the good news is all 3 IT SEZs in Vadapalanji, Ilandhaikulam from ELCOT and at Sholankurini from RR Industries have been notified as SEZs in the last week of April.

http://sezindia.nic.in/HTMLS/SEZs_notified_under_SEZ_Act_2005.pdf

#2,439 · (Edited)
I feel that the place chosen for IIM was not correct. I dont noe hw trichy came into the field for the race in IIM?
look at calicut.. NIT, IIM both the central insitution located in same place...
that too
* not a state capital
* not in centre of the state like Cochin
* not a important Tier II cities like Thiruvandrum and Cochin...

Can u have any explanation for the same...

What eligibility creteria you r looking for the race??...

If something is justified for chennai and CBE then Trichy too...Trichy is not in one corner of the state like Chennai and CBE...
So, In future State or Central government think about any Industry / Institution, it should be some what in the central area like Trichy / Salem / Madura/ Villupuram / Karur ..

#2,440 ·
look at calicut.. NIT, IIM both the central insitution located in same place...
that too
* not a state capital
* not in centre of the state like Cochin
* not a important Tier II cities like Thiruvandrum and Cochin...

Can u have any explanation for the same...

What eligibility creteria you r looking for the race??...

If something is justified for chennai and CBE then Trichy too...Trichy is not in one corner of the state like Chennai and CBE...
So, In future State or Central government think about any Industry / Institution, it should be some what in the central area like Trichy / Salem / Madura/ Villupuram / Karur ..
Even I wonder why both the institutes are in Calicut.. But the truth is the NIT is one of the least preferred for other state REC quota and IIM is not of good standard. But the fact is Calicuct has grown to a good extent that their Airpassengers are more than half of Chennai's..
The TN govt should create new institutions in South TN especially in Madurai and Tirunelveli as there is absolutely no good institutions in this region ( can say Thiyagaraja college an OK institution only).. Though Madurai/Tuticorin/Tirunelveli regions do extraordinary in School education (this year 10th std state first is from Tirunelveli), our students have to go to other regions like Coimbatore of Chennai for professional courses.