daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Texas > Photos

Old December 4th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #1
ReggieZ
GULF COAST TEXAN

Likes (Received): 0

Larger Galveston Mardi Gras

With so many evacuees living in the area, The Houston news stations are reporting that the island is expecting up to 100,000 more people at Mardi Gras this year. To be honest, I can't see how that many more people can fit downtown, let alone the island. Folks were getting trampled and passing out last year.

Link to the story:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=3679348

NBC also ran a story but I got lazy and didn't look it up on the net

There is even a Krewe coming from New Orleans this year, Bards of Bohemia.

Last year shots of the Strand....

Last edited by ReggieZ; December 4th, 2005 at 02:26 AM.
ReggieZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 4th, 2005, 12:49 AM   #2
CincoRanchHoustonRes
Proud Houstonian

I heard about that, as well. That is going to be a huge for the island.
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #3
WesternGulf

Likes (Received): 2

I will echo my statements from HAIF. I am staying to support Galveston with this Mardi Gras but I think the NOLA evacuees in Houston will love to go back to their city for this annual one time event. Even the people who have local Mardi Gras such as Galveston and St Louis may go to New Orleans out of curiosity to see how the city is doing. I thought about going to New Orleans for Mardi Gras for that same curiosity but I will stay in the Houston area. I think New Orleans MG will be huge in '06.
WesternGulf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #4
WesternGulf

BTW, for the New Orleans evacuees that do come to Galveston in February, get ready to get a hanful of them. A lot of them are really into culture and will probably find home in Galveston. You would not believe how many people have come up to complain to me that they are not comfortable with Houston because it lacks the qualities they had back home. Some have already told me, that they love the island and a huge smile comes to their face when they talk about it.
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:22 AM   #5
ReggieZ
GULF COAST TEXAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGulf
I will echo my statements from HAIF. I am staying to support Galveston with this Mardi Gras but I think the NOLA evacuees in Houston will love to go back to their city for this annual one time event. Even the people who have local Mardi Gras such as Galveston and St Louis may go to New Orleans out of curiosity to see how the city is doing. I thought about going to New Orleans for Mardi Gras for that same curiosity but I will stay in the Houston area. I think New Orleans MG will be huge in '06.
I believe the middle class may go back and celebrate Mardi Gras, but the lower class may find lodging and other expenses difficult to afford at the moment. It would seem logical to me that they would drive down to the island, and return to their homes scattered across the Houston metro. I could be wrong though

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGulf
BTW, for the New Orleans evacuees that do come to Galveston in February, get ready to get a hanful of them. A lot of them are really into culture and will probably find home in Galveston. You would not believe how many people have come up to complain to me that they are not comfortable with Houston because it lacks the qualities they had back home. Some have already told me, that they love the island and a huge smile comes to their face when they talk about it.
We'd love to have em!

Last edited by ReggieZ; December 4th, 2005 at 01:38 AM.
Old December 4th, 2005, 02:08 AM   #6
Sean in New Orleans

Likes (Received): 7

That's nice....I hope Galveston has a fun Mardi Gras.
Old December 4th, 2005, 07:01 AM   #7
HoustonTexas
Nassau Bay

Galveston usually has 50,000 people on the island daily. (Note* Thats not the population)

Or was it 100,000? I dunno, somewhere near double the population of people on the island daily.

Myspace
HoustonTexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #8
ReggieZ
GULF COAST TEXAN

pop. 60,000
daily swells to: 100,000 summer: 100,000-above
mardi gras: 400,000
'06 mardi gras predictions: 500,000

Last edited by ReggieZ; December 4th, 2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old December 4th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #9
H-TOWN

Some New Orleans evacuees was in Atlanta, and they listen to New Orleans mayor preaching about coming back home. Half of them said "Come back home to what?" Then the mayor saying that the Mardi Gras will be back Feb 06. A woman stood up and talked down on the mayor saying, "why you putting on this carnival? This doesn't make any sense to still carry this carnival. For what? We all know it's only for the white folks!" She also mention that, she's leaving Atlanta, for Houston, not for New Orleans.

Why come here? Everybody wanna come to Houston. I wish they all go back home and help rebuild New Orleans, cause really its getting pretty ugly here in Houston.

Now, for this larger Galveston Mardi Gras. I would say it's a good and bad thing, and here's the reason why. Anywhere you have larger crowds, something bound to go wrong. There will be some crime there, beleive me it will. But, on the postivie side. Galveston will benefit from this, yes, it will bring in lot's and lot's of tourist and money to Galveston. Plus, with the opening of the new state of the art water park, this will be a boom in Galveston in the upcoming months.
H-TOWN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #10
Cannonized

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-TOWN
She also mention that, she's leaving Atlanta, for Houston, not for New Orleans.
If she's moving to Houston, she needs to keep her mouth shut about Mardi Gras... it's really none of her business what New Orleanians want to do about Mardi Gras. Also, with her racist comments, she doesn't seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Cannonized no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #11
Sean in New Orleans

Likes (Received): 7

She ain't too sharp either if she's leaving Atlanta for Houston!!!
Old December 4th, 2005, 09:47 PM   #12
CincoRanchHoustonRes
Proud Houstonian

But she is pretty sharp about not moving back to New Orleans
Old December 4th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #13
H-TOWN

I think the closes city in the south that have that atomsphere like New Orleans is, Houston and Galveston. But, Galveston is closest to New Orleans.
Old December 4th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #14
WesternGulf

No offense but it is best if some people do not get ahold of some threads.
Old December 4th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #15
ReggieZ
GULF COAST TEXAN

Quote:
I think the closes city in the south that have that atomsphere like New Orleans is, Houston and Galveston. But, Galveston is closest to New Orleans.
I visited New Orleans for the first time three years ago, and it reminded me of Galveston ALOT, except on a larger scale.

Here is a video link to the CBS spot...

http://www.kvue.com/perl/common/vide...mardi_5121.wmv

Last edited by ReggieZ; December 5th, 2005 at 01:56 AM.
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:56 AM   #16
H-TOWN

Yes it do, Reggie. Hell, long time ago New Orleans and Galveston was sister cities, until the hurricane knocked out Galveston.

This reminds me of today. Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans hard, now they're shifting to another city, of course, Houston. Just like Galveston did.

Hey, Reggie. I can't see the video. Is there any other way I can view it?
Old December 5th, 2005, 01:31 AM   #17
ReggieZ
GULF COAST TEXAN

Quote:
Yes it do, Reggie. Hell, long time ago New Orleans and Galveston was sister cities, until the hurricane knocked out Galveston.

This reminds me of today. Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans hard, now they're shifting to another city, of course, Houston. Just like Galveston did.

Hey, Reggie. I can't see the video. Is there any other way I can view it?
Do you have a current version of Windows Media Player? It pops right up for me

Last edited by ReggieZ; December 5th, 2005 at 01:57 AM.
Old December 5th, 2005, 02:04 AM   #18
Nate871
Vieux Carre

Quote:

Actually, many people see New Orleans-Baton Rouge becoming the present day version of Galveston-Houston after 1900.
There could be over 200,000 new permanent residents in Baton Rouge in a few years, though the average estimates are closer to 125,000-150,000.
Nate871 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 03:52 AM   #19
Talbot
3rd Coast

Likes (Received): 3

I just actually got back from Galveston today after staying the night in the Moody Gardens Hotel for a Christmas party last night. I absolutely love Galveston, and it gets better everytime I go back. I can't wait for Mardi Gras.
Talbot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 04:38 AM   #20
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate871
Actually, many people see New Orleans-Baton Rouge becoming the present day version of Galveston-Houston after 1900.
There could be over 200,000 new permanent residents in Baton Rouge in a few years, though the average estimates are closer to 125,000-150,000.
I hate to say this for New Orleans and I truly hope I am wrong. But I see that as well. I think Baton Rouge will become the powerhouse in Louisiana and New Orleans will be the resort town that will struggle but still have much of its charachter and history still in many pockets in the city. Much like Houston and Galveston today. Again, I hope I am wrong.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote