SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Liverpool Sign Posts on the East Lancs

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  JUXTAPOL 
#1 ·
Turd brown background and wingding fonts to promote the attractions.
**** knows what the first time visitor makes of this when they drive into Liverpool.

Any suggestions for alternatives?

#2 ·
I would say forget about the East Lancs approach and concentrate on the M62 and Mersey tunnels approaches!

They have to be brown though as this is the national standard for tourist and recreational attractions etc.

Perhaps large billboards to the sides of the road at regular intervals would be a better of way of advertising what facilitities the city has to offer, in addition to the brown signs. (I dont mean the shitty billboards I mean good quality, illuminated billboards).

e.g, instead of a sign saying 'Albert Dock', it would be better to have a billboard with a photo of the Albert Dock.

Instead of 'Football stadia', have a large billboards of the KOP or Goodison etc.

#3 ·
Dicky Sam's said:
I would say forget about the East Lancs approach and concentrate on the M62 and Mersey tunnels approaches!

They have to be brown though as this is the national standard for tourist and recreational attractions etc.

Perhaps large billboards to the sides of the road at regular intervals would be a better of way of advertising what facilitities the city has to offer, in addition to the brown signs. (I dont mean the shitty billboards I mean good quality, illuminated billboards).

e.g, instead of a sign saying 'Albert Dock', it would be better to have a billboard with a photo of the Albert Dock.

Instead of 'Football stadia', have a large billboards of the KOP or Goodison etc.
Thanks Dicky. Never realised it was the national standard. I live in Luton and we don't have tourist and recreational sign posts for obvious reasons :)

I like your idea of billboards. Perhaps a steaming hot turd for Goodison? :)

#4 ·
scouserdave said:
**** knows what the first time visitor makes of this when they drive into Liverpool.

You must be a mind reader, i was thinking the same yesterday while driving along East Lancs road. Also the over use of signs on both sides of the pavement telling drivers which lane to get into to turn left/right/straight on/traffic lights on every side of a junction, before and after the junction.
People should know which lane to be in for turning/ paint the markings on the road well in advance of the junction.

If they are going to advertise city centre attractions well outside the centre to indicate peoples arrival into liverpool then these arrival points should be well designed places. Maybe use existing or new overhead gantries with electronic boards for road control and adverts, or attach them to lamposts, bridges, centre of roundabouts/central reservations or vactant space on the side of suitable buildings, and apply some design to them.

I think the current signs are pointless because say anyone going to a football match will already know the info provided on these boards, same with Albert dock. People still need an a-z to find these places. So the albert dock should have a huge banner of the Albert dock with ships and shoppers, and people enjoying themselves, on the side of a bridge, Liverpool FC could have the LFC badge surrounded by silver trophies in the centre of a large landscaped roundabout, i mean i dont know, any jobs going in the roadside tourist sign department, or is it run by the same person who designed the "left arrow =left lane sign" :bash: :)

Just read Dickie Sams reply, same ideas it's obvious. :)

#5 ·
JUXTAPOL said:
Liverpool FC could have the LFC badge surrounded by silver trophies in the centre of a large landscaped roundabout
It would have to be some f*****g roundabout to accomodate all the trophies LFC have won. Probably one on the scale of Monumento in Manila, Philippines. There's about 30 roads that run into it. Everton could have the roundabout on the Broadway, Norris Green :)

#6 ·
scouserdave said:
It would have to be some f*****g roundabout to accomodate all the trophies LFC have won. Probably one on the scale of Monumento in Manila, Philippines. There's about 30 roads that run into it. Everton could have the roundabout on the Broadway, Norris Green :)
You could always build the citys tallest observation tower out of replica trophies. :laugh:

#10 ·
Gateway Signs to Liverpool

scouserdave said:

I suggested over 12 months back ,that we should have "archway signs" spanning all principle gateway roads. Decorated with a LIVER BIRD in the centre of the arch.
National brown tourist signs (which cannot be changed) would be sited after the gateway arch, along side of the road. Archway sign should also be sited across Speke Boulavard announcing Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.