SkyscraperCity Forum banner

New Strand/Mersey Crossing!

7K views 42 replies 11 participants last post by  Blabbernsmoke 
#1 ·
When the idea of the ferris wheel for Mann Island came about everybody was happy, but some suggested something a little more original- something that could be uniquely Liverpool (as a UK city). Well how about Cable cars?? They could do the following:

1) Carry people from PSDA over the Strand to Albert Dock.
2) Carry people over the Mersey as well (superior to a bridge as it is cheaper and shields people from the elements.)
3) Would be iconic for a UK city
4) Would be a big hit with tourists who could do some real site-seeing as well as being used by commuters within Merseyside.

Check out my renderings (Originals: first pic by Bunnyman, other by Dave (Liverpool Pictorial.co.uk)- cheers guys.)

See less See more
#6 ·
Poor Accy Boy, gone but not forgotten............

Gareth said:
Your amature style rendering is an artform in its own right.

Don't ever change it. :cheers:

Oh and I love the way you've got two sharks circling Accura. :laugh:

Blabber, bloody brilliant best laugh of the day your renders :) but please dont pick on ,poor accy boy,dont you think he has enough problems already. without being ripped apart by 2 great whites. Mind you it would bring the tourist in by the bus full, scavenging around the dock looking for accy boys body parts.

#8 ·
Love it blabber, although it's a bit windy so I hope it wouldn't be too scarey. As the opportunist I am, I attach a link to the New Brighton thread I succesfully killed off with my insane idea for a Llandudno - Bootle light rail / monorail link. That includes a high level monorail between New Brighton and Bootle, which could I think compliment your own idea. I am a huge fan of cable cars, I would love to see them brought properly into use in UK towns like Sheffield and Brighton.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=177130

#9 · (Edited)
Gareth said:

Here you go. :cheers:
Gareth,
That's exactly what I'd intended to do. Cheers mate.

However, I have been thinking. To make this a truly memorable experience, both for tourists and commuters, perhaps a more unique design is required. One where views can be enjoyed quite literally from all perspectives!
This proto-type could be similar to the capsules used on the London Eye- except with the a transparent floor...

Liverpolitan, this design would also be more aero-dynamic!

Incidentally, I would never wish for Accura to be eaten by sharks. It is merely something I contemplate occasionally. :)

#15 ·
The cable car in Southport doesn't have any commuter value as it just goes in a loop and only has one 'stop'. I remember thinking it was excellent when I was a kid though- it is well worth going on. Especially with those funny little carriages- I remember initially feeling as though I'd slip under the drop-down bar and plunge to my death. It was also kinda scary when it went over bumpy bits.

#16 ·
More Urban Cable Car..

Imagine how well this could work for Liverpool. By 2015 the water front from Alexandra Tower to the far end of Kings Dock will be very built up and will be a big visitor hot-spot. A cable car would fit in brilliantly- it would look as good for Liverpool as it does for Manhatten. And it would serve a very useful function for everyone.

I would also guess that it would be cheaper to build than a bridge (or a monorail) and would add to consumer choice for Mersey crossings. In fact, it could be like the Alton Towers system and could take people to various points all around the city centre!

Imagine being able to travel over big cruise liners travelling over the Mersey!

#22 ·
A similar system to that in Alton Towers could be used around Liverpool city centre. It certainly be a big hit with tourists and would be unique for a UK city...

The Sky-ride as we know it was installed in 1987. Alton Towers had Cable cars many years prior to this. The original system followed the same route as the sky-ride but only travelled from Towers Street to the area where Forbidden Valley is today. The old system was quite limited, there was a maximum capacity of 4 people, due to the gondolas & cable not being as strong as the one used today.
Due to the increasing popularity of the park and the fact a new area was planned (forbidden Valley) it was decided that a more modernised cable car system was necessary for the park. The new gondolas were designed and manufactured by Poma. The Engineering was implemented by Sir Robert McAlpine. Not only did Alton choose to upgrade the system, the decision was made to extend the cable to fountain Square where a third station was put in place, which is conveniently located close to the Towers.

The new system consists of many gondolas; each one can carry up to twelve people at once. They travel at only 4 miles per hour but it feels faster, especially when your high above the gardens! The sky ride is not so much of a ride but a means of transportation around the park with some stunning views

QUICK FACTS
Height - 200ft
Length- 1048 Metres
Duration- 300 Seconds approx
Speed- 4 MP/H
Manufacturer- Poma & Sir Robert McAlpine
Capacity per gondola- 12
Capacity per hour- 2880

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/rides/...le+cars&hl=en&lr=&cr=countryUK|countryGB&sa=N

#23 ·
I dont see this as being a feasible project for the city centre... in all honesty i think you are overplaying the role of tourists in the city ( at least at the moment) Its hardly full of tourists in town!

Unless the scheme would serve a function for the local contingent it would not work as a viable project.

#24 ·
Doesn't quite capture my imagination either - Liverpool isn't a theme park! But if it was, we could turn St Johns Beacon into an attraction with the office bit sliding up and down at break neck speeds. I'm sure there's a ride like this somewhere

#25 ·
I used the Alton Towers system as an EXAMPLE. It would attract tourists, but it would also peform a very useful funtion for local people wanting to commute around the city centre and accross the Mersey.

I need to carry out some research on the system used in New York. Cable cars successfully ferry people across the Hudson River- who is to say this couldn't work well for the Mersey? After all, it would be less time consuming, and more fun than the ferry; more interesting and potentially cheaper than the underground, and almosty certainly cheaper than driving through the tunnel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.