SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Liverpool in the media

Tags
media
3M views 22K replies 464 participants last post by  westisbest 
#1 ·
This thread is for representations of Liverpool in the media and any issues raised by how the city is represented.

As I write, there is a piece on Radio 4's Today programme about the UNESCO visit to Liverpool, and the danger of the city losing its WHS if it goes ahead with the museum.

The key narrative appears to be: Can the city remain faithful to its past whilst growing?

I have to say that it is an informed, balanced piece.

It ended with a statement to the effect that if UNESCO doesn't accept the arguments by LCC, EH, CABE, Liverpool might have to contemplate pulling out of the WHS club.

What do you think?

#61 ·
On the DP&E website there's a poll about whether or not we think the proposals for 2008 are good/bad. During the first week it was roughly a 60/40 split in favour, it's now heading towards a 50/50 split. Call me cynical - W - but I have this sense that as soon as it's 51/49 against the Echo will have the following headline

Failure! Majority of city against 2008 proposals

"Another humiliation for Liverpool..." says Labour leader Joe Anderson

#63 ·
And we have a winner - sorry looser.....

Anyone watch that programe on CH4 Called "Secret millionaire", about a person who goes into a rundown area looking for worthy causes to donate money to, was quite good. Will be in what looks like the Lodge Lane area of Liverpool next Wednesday.
Yes, with sarky comments about `City of Culture` (noted, not the correct title of `Capital`.....) I saw it advertised in London.

It`ll be filled with "look how run down we are....."

"OK you win the money."

#65 ·
^^ - on the brief clip I've seen he looks like a scaghead / pisshead. For every city it seems that the people who appear to contribute least to the well being of their city often find it in their bitter hearts the energy to criticise most. Not sure whether it is the bile of poverty and/or the consequences of passivity / inactivity / misplaced sense of entitlement, whatever. Sad to see.

#66 ·
Casualty 1906. Tonight @ 8pm, BBC 1. Article in Radio Times

There's an article in this weeks RT describing how the former Liverpool Royal Infirmary stands in for the Royal London Hospital and there's the rub. Why isn't the one-off episode set in Liverpool at the height of Empire with the hordes of Europe passing through it en route to the New World? If that subject matter doesn't provide a team of BBC writers with all the material they could ever need to grow several series, well then, they must be in-house BBC writers.

This is so symptomatic of all that is third rate about this London obsessed sad little island. It makes me want to :puke: Why should I? I'm going to have one of Tesco's Finest mince pies instead.

#67 · (Edited)
Daily Post, good article , if flawed..........

In last wednesday`s Daily Post, they had a 2 page spread on the "Big Dig" listing their " top 20" developments showing a montage of all 20 sites, excellent article. But being the DP, a couple of errors. 1) The DP stated that this top 20 was only for jobs that are under construction or approved, yet riding high at number 4 was New World Square, only goes before the planning committee this month. 2) Three large developments were missing from the top 20, Alexandra Tower, Queens Tower and the Malmaison Hotel.

Beggers belief how the DP could miss them off their list:eek:hno:

PS. I am as bad as the DP, I should also have added the Byrom Street "pinwheel" apartment block by developer Green Apple. A very impressive block that the DP should have included, in fact they would have had a "top 25", if the City Lofts Half Tide Dock had been included.

#69 ·
SSC, guardians of the Truth...................

Crect Woody.

What do you expect, in Saturdays Echo they claims there's 'no movement' on Liverpool FCs new stadium despite the Warren Bradley saying everything's in place and moving ahead. Crap journalism or agendas?
Spot on Toady, make you think "who can we trust", far better off us guys digging around and trying to find the answers. And firing off E-M to the DP&E
when we spot errors or bad reporting. :nuts: Sh*t just realised that could become a full time occupation:eek:hno:

#70 ·
In last wednesday`s Daily Post, they had a 2 page spread on the "Big Dig" listing their " top 20" developments showing a montage of all 20 sites, excellent article. But being the DP, a couple of errors. 1) The DP stated that this top 20 was only for jobs that are under construction or approved, yet riding high at number 4 was New World Square, only goes before the planning committee this month. 2) Three large developments were missing from the top 20, Alexandra Tower, Queens Tower and the Malmaison Hotel.

Beggers belief how the DP could miss them off their list:eek:hno:

PS. I am as bad as the DP, I should also have added the Byrom Street "pinwheel" apartment block by developer Green Apple. A very impressive block that the DP should have included, in fact they would have had a "top 25", if the City Lofts Half Tide Dock had been included.

worse than that much of the information that accompanied the 20 projects was at least partially in correct.... it annoys me when i go to dinner parties and find myself having to correct people about projects becasue of poor / lazy jounalism. Just a though but why dont they have a specific regerneration reporter who actually knows what they are talking about! Could be worse though imagine if the echo had done it!!!

#71 ·
worse than that much of the information that accompanied the 20 projects was at least partially in correct.... it annoys me when i go to dinner parties and find myself having to correct people about projects becasue of poor / lazy jounalism. Just a though but why dont they have a specific regerneration reporter who actually knows what they are talking about! Could be worse though imagine if the echo had done it!!!
Do these dinner parties provide `doggie bags`.....:hi:

Why don`t they have a specific `Regeneration Reporter`?.....or better still just don`t print any old twaddle.....and do some meaningful reseach :bash:

Nah, let`s have a specific `Regeneration Reporter` and hound the LPD&E and the LCC until they realise and count the cost of lost projects, investment, infrastructure, jobs, homes and commercial premises.....leaving aside `Image and positive publicity`, nah let`s have an improved image and publicity as well and throw in some good governance for good measure.

#72 ·
Do these dinner parties provide `doggie bags`.....:hi:

Why don`t they have a specific `Regeneration Reporter`?.....or better still just don`t print any old twaddle.....and do some meaningful reseach :bash:

Nah, let`s have a specific `Regeneration Reporter` and hound the LPD&E and the LCC until they realise and count the cost of lost projects, investment, infrastructure, jobs, homes and commercial premises.....leaving aside `Image and positive publicity`, nah let`s have an improved image and publicity as well and throw in some good governance for good measure.
i knew i was asking for trouble with the dinner party comment!

#79 · (Edited)
Liverpool in the media it's more like Liverpool not in the media,it took our local news 15 minutes into the programme the other night to mention that LFC might be taken over by the Worlds 5th richest man,this was well behind important news like Wayne and Colleen were in Alder Hey hospital opening up a ward or something.Then there was no mention of Desmond Tutu's visit next year which I think's brilliant and there was no mention of us landing next years Royal Variety performance,no wonder mancs think they're great.:eek:hno:

And Sale Sharks beat St Helens to team of the year even though Saints won everything there was to win in them shitty awards, not that they mean anything but it's still bollocks.

EDIT: Saints won the NATIONAL AWARD but come second in the North West awards in Manchester.:eek:hno:

#80 ·
Secret Millionaire (Weds, 4/12, C4)

Nancy Banks-Smith
Thursday December 7, 2006
The Guardian

Well and away the most Christmassy thing was The Secret Millionaire (Channel 4), in which John Elliott, an upright downright good King Wenceslas, trudged through the snow (the weather kindly cooperated) giving his own money away to the needy with Emily Jones, the director/producer, doubling as his page. His cover story was that he was making a TV programme about living on benefit. No one queried this depressing project. Elliott was living on benefit himself and quickly worked out that the cheapest way to stay warm was to spend £2.80 on an all-day bus ticket.

These things stand or fall by the quality of the presenter, and John Elliott was impressive. He made £60m from water coolers ("£60m is too much for anyone, isn't it?") and is a lifelong believer in hard work and, of course, cold water. "One of my biggest regrets was leaving school at 15. It should have been 13." Gazing at the window of the Jobcentre, he said with absolute confidence "I could do that ... and that ... that." With bright, blue eyes, white hair and a big, pink face, he could go on without rehearsal as Santa Claus. By January, you know, he would be running Lapland.

The ironically named Kensington is in the poorest part of Liverpool. Half the population scrape along uncomplainingly on benefit. Elliott had difficulty finding a poor-but-promising prospect, and went to two places he would not normally frequent: a church and an asylum centre.

After the church service a flock of dark-haired women, radiating warmth and charm, invited him to join them for a meal. The Alfero family, originally from Nicaragua, lived together because one of the daughters, Maria, had run up an £800 credit card debt and her hard-working husband, Philip, could not get a mortgage for a house of their own.

The asylum centre was well run, providing necessities such as toothbrushes and underpants. Folding second-hand clothes, Elliott met another Philip, a cheerful Kenyan who had applied for several jobs as an accountant without any success.

The finest thing this rather fine man said was: "Let's keep an open mind." He hated debt but, observing how easy it was to obtain credit for trash and how hard to get a mortgage, he gave Phil and Maria £10,000 as a deposit on a house. He despised scroungers but found none in the asylum centre and gave them £7,500. He disliked refugees but he admired Philip and gave him a job in his own accounts department.

-------------------------------

Everyone seems to love Liverpudlians born overseas these days. I hope they never settle for the soc and bitching about how everyone and everything has let them down.