daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #19121
IFeelShort

Likes (Received): 18

There was another project being considered, Twin Towers Two, that consisted of rebuilding the original Twin Towers, but with additional floors and much improved safety measures with a few extra staircases. The designs were more detailed and plentiful in addition to the fact that more New Yorkers supported it. Freedom Tower is great and all, but this design is what New Yorkers wanted.
IFeelShort no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2011, 02:53 AM   #19122
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

The diagonal of the top should be the same as the side of the bottom, so the top floor would be 141 x 141, assuming the bottom is 200 x 200.
The core should also get smaller as you go up, so you won't lose that much floor space.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 02:54 AM   #19123
OldWorldResident

Likes (Received): 9

We don't need another troll here. Please ban!
OldWorldResident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #19124
IFeelShort

Likes (Received): 18

Almost at floor 60, its being built at a rate of 1 floor per week.
IFeelShort no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #19125
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFeelShort View Post
There was another project being considered, Twin Towers Two, that consisted of rebuilding the original Twin Towers, but with additional floors and much improved safety measures with a few extra staircases. The designs were more detailed and plentiful in addition to the fact that more New Yorkers supported it. Freedom Tower is great and all, but this design is what New Yorkers wanted.

Maybe it is what New Yorkers wanted. Maybe it isnt. But is it what the 9/11 victims and family and friends wanted? Imagine this. Every day when you go to work or school or wherever, you drive by and see the New Twins.

Everyday, youre being reminded of what you had lost. Every. Single. Day.

And Im not an expert on buildings, but I do enjoy them, but thats besides the point. The point is, Im sure that any buidling in the world could and would be destroyed if terrorists wanted them destroyed badly enough.

Yes, this new WTC is much safer and much stronger then the old one, but Im sure if al Queda wanted it gone, it could be gone.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #19126
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
Yes, this new WTC is much safer and much stronger then the old one, but Im sure if al Queda wanted it gone, it could be gone.
Nope. A 9/11 style attack is virtually impossible at this point, so unless al-Qaeda have access to nuclear weapons, their only viable method of attack is ground-based conventional explosives, something all 4 towers are designed specifically to withstand.
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #19127
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 194

Exactly the secrets out now........before if someone hijacked my plane id be like ok were gonna land this dudes gonna get some money and its gonna be over. Now if someone even acts like their gonna jack a plane im on im breakin a cd in half on the seat in front of me and cutting their throat before they even make it to the door, no questions asked. Not to mention the other 200 people on the plane are gonna kick the sh*t out of the person for the next hour and a half till we find somewhere to land. A sept 11 style attacks is never gonna happen again, but im sure they know this and are thinking of other ways, which is why its good to have that huge ass base on the new wtc1.

Last edited by boss-ton; January 20th, 2011 at 08:47 AM.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #19128
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFeelShort View Post
This is never going to happen. The sooner you get that, the sooner you can get on with your life.
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #19129
Lawrence7
Lawrence

Likes (Received): 2

I think what's great about 1 WTC's design is the fact it recognises the fact it is replacing two phenomenal towers and has to pay respect with it's design. It appears it is a merge of two towers. My only gripe is I wish it could have been taller, 2,200ft +.

Lawrence7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #19130
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 193

Magnificent rendering.
jhalsey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #19131
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Yes beautifull done! Look at the reflection of the other buildings in the glass
Old January 20th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #19132
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence7 View Post
My only gripe is I wish it could have been taller, 2,200ft +.

My only gripe it that the spire looks abolutely ridiculous. This is such a beautiful design right up to the roof line, then it severely jumps the shark. I think they could have done much better.

JMHO and of course YMMV

FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #19133
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

NY has a tradition with spires. if you look closely, you will notice that almost every significant skyscraper has a spire (ESB, chrysler, BofA, AIG, trump tower, NYTT, conde nast, ...). no wonder some people call NY the "city of spires".

as far as i'm concerned, the spire on 1WTC looks totally fine (see STR's new renderings). and of course, 2 and 3WTC will join "the spire show".
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #19134
DarthVaper77

A local chain of cafes here in Southern California, called Spires, doesn't ruin everything...you could eat there.
DarthVaper77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #19135
Dominance

Likes (Received): 5

Does anybody know what is happening to the corner floor plating on the 54th floor, because I was checking the discovery cam and I see that they are putting the vertical beams of 55 and 56 floors, but they usually finish the previous floor plating then put the scafolding then raise the cranes, then do what they are doing. How come they are doing it differently this time? Thank you
Dominance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #19136
Lawrence7
Lawrence

I have no problems with spires, if used correctly. Empire State and Chrysler are two perfect examples of this. I think the spire on 1WTC looks good also, althought it doesn't compliment the skyscraper as much as the aforementioned. At least it looks like it wasn't a last minute after-thought like the New York Times tower.
Lawrence7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #19137
sushitoaster

Likes (Received): 0

Epic pic
notice the statue of liberty on the picture
sushitoaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #19138
Nonoka

Likes (Received): 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draegen View Post
An admin should turn the first post into a FAQ to reduce all of the questions people have
There's no information about the height of the observation deck in the first post.

So it would be really appreciated if someone can answer my question - at which height is the observation deck located?
Nonoka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #19139
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

somewhere about 400m (at least 1300ft) if i remember correctly...
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #19140
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
NY has a tradition with spires. if you look closely, you will notice that almost every significant skyscraper has a spire (ESB, chrysler, BofA, AIG, trump tower, NYTT, conde nast, ...). no wonder some people call NY the "city of spires".

as far as i'm concerned, the spire on 1WTC looks totally fine (see STR's new renderings). and of course, 2 and 3WTC will join "the spire show".
Agreed, they all have them but most do not look as thought the architect had a 5PM deadline and received a phone call at 4:45 telling him that he needed to add a spire. ESB and Chrysler have spires that add to the beauty of the building to the point where the buildings would look silly without them. All this one adds is height and a radio/TV signal. It's just my opinion but I think it's a shame to add what I'd call a giant hypodermic needle to the top of such a beautiful design.

Last edited by FlyFish; January 20th, 2011 at 06:01 PM.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center