SkyscraperCity Forum banner
5M views 18K replies 1K participants last post by  hkskyline 
#1 ·
Discuss best Asian skyline here.

#9,661 ·
My reply

Asia does have the best skyscrapers for the moment.

America's skyscrapers to non-Americans just look old, boring and like stuff with too much concrete.
Well ... you have your opinion and I have mine.

If we are talking about beautiful architecture in general I would voice the opinion that buildings like the Acropolis in Athens, the Taj Mahal in Agra, the Palace of Versailles, the Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon (buildings I've seen) are far superior to 95% of all the newer modern buildings.

There are exceptions ... certainly the Sydney Opera House and the Swiss Re building in London are gorgeous modern buildings.

Here is where I vehemently disagree with you: the classic Art Deco skyscrapers of the 1920's, '30's and '40's are sublimely elegant and not "boring." These new glassy buildings (I have nothing against glass) ARE boring.

What has the world come to? Do we admire a plain white box over a Michelangelo Sistine Chapel or a Faberge Easter Egg?

I stand by my opinions. Perhaps in time you will come to understand what I'm saying.

How are those 80 year old rusty concrete buildings in America elegant or splendid? How old are you grandpa? This is 2015, your iconic structures are now considered boring and mundane. Move on
They are not rusty, nor are they concrete. Many of these buildings are clad in warm beige Indiana limestone, cool gray New Hampshire granite, or pure white Vermont marble. These building materials are so expensive today you will NEVER see a new skyscraper built with such superb materials.

Most modern skyscrapers are boring and mundane ... unless they are in Dubai where they are mostly garish and kitschy.

I am not 80. I am not retired yet. However I have reached the age that I am old enough to be a grandfather. I shall not be prejudiced against your youthful lack of erudition and unevolved sense of architectural majesty and refinement.

#9,671 ·
Mixed use... :coffee:

Hotel, with 159 rooms, to be operated by Ritz-Carlton, 200 Residences serviced by The Ritz-Carlton, 10,000 square metres (110,000 sq ft) of luxury retail space, as well as a roof-top bar and observation deck.
Thanks! I will be up there for a drink when it opens!