SkyscraperCity Forum banner
5M views 18K replies 1K participants last post by  hkskyline 
#1 ·
Discuss best Asian skyline here.

#10,461 ·
Where are the skylines? I think you're misunderstanding what a "skyline" means. Commieblocks and one low rise apartment building is not a skyline. The first two-three pictures show it basically. Anyway discounting the commieblocks Singapore more or less has a nice organized CBD while Tokyo is just a giant mess with many clusters, some of which are equivalent in scope to singapores. The point still stands fine. Now the question is do we value a uniform skyline like Yokohama, Singapore (CBD), Paris la defense, virtually every American city or giant mass of buildings like Tokyo.
Singapore skyline is only beautiful at the Marina bay.. outside that.. are not as good..
Metro Manila has better looking clusters... (except Marina bay of course, we all agree it's the poster boy for Singapore)

the good news is.. even commie blocks score points in height and numbers.. thus it's high score in rankings.

btw la defense or yokohama is really small compared to singapore skyline. I think singapore skyline size comparable to KL, manila and chicago
Skyline or city size??

#10,464 ·
The point is still the same: Tokyo has several clusters many rivaling singapores CBD in size, posting commieblocks or a single apartment/condo building doesn't change what I said at all.
I totally get your point!!

Metro Manila is somehow a mixed concept of multiple Clusters/CBD.

Even Metro Manila's clusters (CBDs), each are comparable to Singapore CBD. (Makati, Fort Bonifacio, Ortigas, Manila Bay, Alabang...).. much more of Tokyo's..

#10,466 ·
Manila is like Orchard district of singapore. almost all the same height and they dont have good setting unlike marina bay
close up, Singapore has the advantage of a waterfront..

but move away further.. Manila has the Sea in the west and mountains in the East as natural settings.

#10,470 ·
manila bay still under develop

i think that place has the potential
i think so too.. latest cluster in development is "Entertainment City" but too bad it's near the airport.

we also had this proposal..

But I guess this will be our best waterfront for the meantime..
Manila Bay

Reactions: WingWing
#10,473 · (Edited)
You are making my point for me. Singapore has no supertalls at all, Tokyo has the tallest tower in the world and a 333m one as well, Bangkok has two super talls both shorter than Tokyo tower (333m). All three cities have 200m+ buildings. If none of those are "medium height", that means only Hong Kong, Shanghai and maybe one or two other Chinese cities have skylines.
Singapore has a 280 m height restriction due to the downtown core's proximity to Paya Lebar airport.

On the other hand, the recent development in Orchard Road has broken that.

The case is the same with Manila as the downtown area currently has a 250 m height restriction due to its proximity to NAIA.

That is why some supertall projects in Makati were scaled down to this height.

On the other hand, PBCom Tower, the tallest in Makati CBD is 259m. While the new tallest building, Grand Hyatt / Metrobank Centre is been topped out at 282 m.

If Metro Manila is going to be build a supertall, it has to be either midtown or uptown. Unless either Sangley Point or Clark International Airport becomes operational as the premier gateway airport, then we be seeing supertalls in the downtown area.

Manila's building height is similar to Tokyo. Plus a supertall structure similar to Tokyo's Skytree is planned uptown at 612m!

#10,474 · (Edited)
Actually singapore has 3 supertall proposal that scaled down to 280m, 280m and 223m.

1.Millenia Tower (Proposed 380m-ish) to 223m
2.Republic Plaza (Proposed 400m-ish) to 280m
3.UOB/OUB Towers (Think they were originally planned up to 350m++) to 280m

Now current tallest is tanjong pagar centre standing at 290m located in tanjong pagar not orchard road. Can be seen in first pic of sg in this page which is still u/c

#10,476 ·
Actually singapore has 3 supertall proposal that scaled down to 280m, 280m and 223m.

1.Millenia Tower (Proposed 380m-ish) to 223m
2.Republic Plaza (Proposed 400m-ish) to 280m
3.UOB/OUB Towers (Think they were originally planned up to 350m++) to 280m

Now current tallest is tanjong pagar centre standing at 290m located in tanjong pagar not orchard road. Can be seen in first pic of sg in this page which is still u/c
Its like The Transamerica Pyramid in SF in which was originally planned as a supertall.

#10,477 ·
ok then lol

take NOTE.. this is just JUST Makati CBD.
Makati CBD alone can create a descent skyline for Metro Manila. The cityscape itself resembles a North American downtown.

Anyway, Makati's CBD can be comparable to the likes of La Defense, Frankfurt, Shinjuku or Downtown Sydney.