daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #1
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

Downtown Greenville, SC

Just thought I'd share some great photos of downtown Greenville shot by some forumers (who are REALLY talented) on another forum.

First, some stats. The city of Greenville, the primary city of Upstate (northwestern) SC, is only 26 sq miles, encompassing 56,000 inhabitants (thanks to SC's strict annexation laws). However, the 2000 urbanized area figure was 300,000, and Greenville County is the most populous county in the state at a little over 400,000. So don't let the municipal figures fool you.

Downtown is really on an upswing, with various projects planned and under construction, as well as a ballpark for the minor league Greenville Drive in the West End and Clemson University's International Center for Automotive Research and Millenium Research close to I-85, among others.

Now the pics. Many of them center around the city's award-winning Main Street and Fall Park on the Reedy River, also located downtown.

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #2
uncle dave

Likes (Received): 0

Sure looks like Greenville is doing it right. Stunning photography. Looks like a road trip for me. Looks like a place I could definatley plant myself if I ever moved.
uncle dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #3
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 44

Several years ago, Raleigh looked into Greenville's revitalization efforts for a role model to our own efforts. Years later, we have NOTHING that comes close to Greenville's Main Street. This city seems to be doing a lot of things right and I am sure they aren't limited to Main Street. It gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling that I want to get when I visit a new place. There seems to be some integration of residential, entertainment and commercial destinations that I would love to see with my own two eyes. By the way, how many people live in DT Greenville?

Here comes the question: If I were to visit Greenville, where should I go and what should I see? Recommendations on places to stay and eat are appreciated, but not major [restaurant] chains, please. I would love to take a trip to Greenville and see the city, but I am not willing to spend an arm and a leg on expensive hotels.

By the way, ECXELLENT photos!!!

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #4
Justin6882
Capital City

I was in Greenville a couple years ago staying with a friend of mine and he insisted we go out in downtown. I was really poo-pooing the idea, but when we got there I was blown away. Main Street was awesome, there were people everywhere and it was a very...welcoming downtown. Something I hope Raleigh can do with our own Fayetteville Street.
Justin6882 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #5
Atl/Clt

Wow!! Those pictures blew me away. I have lived in both Atlanta and Charlotte for 30 years now and drive through G-ville a ton but have never stopped in. I will definately be making a weekend trip very soon. Great pictures!
Atl/Clt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #6
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

Likes (Received): 1

As much as I've always dismissed Greenville SC - I really need to spend time there. It really looks great & is a great model of a modern sunbelt downtown - without the traditional built density & in a car friendly environoment. As hideous as it sounds, but by incorporating suburban edge city ideals into a downtown properly, it might become a good fit. Because in one sense downtown Greenville looks like a new urban edge city but with some historic buildings.

Nice pictures...
teshadoh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #7
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh-NC
By the way, how many people live in DT Greenville?

Here comes the question: If I were to visit Greenville, where should I go and what should I see? Recommendations on places to stay and eat are appreciated, but not major [restaurant] chains, please. I would love to take a trip to Greenville and see the city, but I am not willing to spend an arm and a leg on expensive hotels.

By the way, ECXELLENT photos!!!
To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what DT Greenville's population is. What I do know is that the city isn't exempt from the "condofication" we see happen in many other Southern cities. Over the next few years, I don't think it's a stretch to say that the DT population will be close to doubling.

OK, what to do and see. Definitely spend some time downtown on Main Street; it's hopping during the day AND at night, so it really doesn't matter (a holiday like Labor Day or Fourth of July would be ideal). Falls Park on the Reedy is the crown jewel of downtown. The Peace Center for the Performing Arts is a great venue, and you can check out an act or a hockey game at the Bi-Lo Center, the state's 2nd largest arena. Work is progressing on the West End ballpark for the minor league Greenville Drive, so by the time you visit, it may be completed. Roper Mountain Science Center is home to the state's largest planetarium. Fall for Greenville is an annual festival that takes place on Main Street during the first week of October each year, and its a big thing. The street is only open to pedestrian activity during the festival, and you get crowds like this:

You also have events like Arts in the Park, the city's Greek Festival, and Artisphere, an international arts festival that takes place downtown every spring. Recently, the USPRO Cycling Championship has moved to Greenville this year, and from what I understand, that's a pretty big thing among bicycling enthusiasts. You can check out Greenvilleevents.com for more info on major events.

As for places to eat, Main Street offers a variety of dining options. For lodging, the Hyatt downtown is an EXCELLENT hotel, and a pretty cool Hampton Inn and Suites is under construction downtown, which will look like this once completed:

The hotel is actually part of a larger development, 55 Riverplace, which will actually have 5 condo buildings as well as office space:

Old January 27th, 2006, 02:04 AM   #8
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

Very nice pictures, indeed. And there are a lot of big developments going on downtown as well. At least two tall condos are going up soon. One proposal, a mixed-use tower that will probably get the go ahead, is over 350 ft. tall. A new tallest for the city. As for the city's downtown population, I think I heard a couple thousand people. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but that's what I read or heard.
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #9
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

http://www.pinnacleonmain.com/

http://camperdown.southcorpinc.com/

and...

The Tower at Falls & Broad will be rising soon from the site of Mr. Bill Bouharoun’s 32-year-old family-owned business. The high rise will measure 20 stories, totaling 350 ft. in height, making it Greenville’s tallest building. On the first and second floors, The Tower has space designed for a bank, with a drive through window and ATM availability incorporated into the first level of the project’s 3 story-parking garage. Additionally, the main level contains some retail space. Also, on the second and third floors are office condominiums, ranging in size from 1,050 to 4,150 sq. ft. There is 20,000 sq. ft. of office space on both the fourth and fifth floors available for lease. Each floor six through thirteen contains four office condominiums, ranging in size from 1,750 to 1,800 sq. ft. Four residential condominiums occupy each floor fourteen through eighteen. These residences range from 1,750 to 2,000 sq. ft. and offer spectacular views of Greenville from terraces as large as 650 sq. ft. The nineteenth and twentieth floors are reserved for a 2-story penthouse. Destined to be one of Downtown’s most recognized landmarks, The Tower at Falls & Broad will take property ownership in Greenville to unprecedented heights.

Go Greenville!!
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:47 AM   #10
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

^ I thought the Tower at Falls & Broad had been shelved ?
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 03:24 AM   #11
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Well, from what I understand, it's been put on "hold". Not totally done away with.
Old January 27th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #12
g-man430

Likes (Received): 144

^ Yes, that is true. The Tower at Falls and Broad has been put on hold until construction costs go down.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/lo...hp/t11854.html: Look at status for the Tower at Falls and Broad.

Last edited by g-man430; January 27th, 2006 at 04:02 AM.
g-man430 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #13
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

That office tower at main and broad sounds like an interesting proposal.
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #14
canine7

Likes (Received): 14

what forum are the pics from?
canine7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #15
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 44

krazeeboi, thanks for all the great info I am really happy for Greenville. I remember seeing the following photo and be surprised with how nice downtown looked from the air. Very nice, especially when we consider the size of the city, although I understand that it is not really small, either.

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #16
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 524

Greenville is a great oasis of civilization in the upstate.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #17
g-man430

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by canine7
what forum are the pics from?
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/in...?showforum=223
g-man430 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #18