daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic

Northeast and MidAtlantic DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, VT, NH, MA, ME
» Development News | Baltimore / Washington DC| Buffalo / Niagara Falls | New Jersey | New York City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2006, 04:56 AM   #21
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruces1
I love Wilmington, I wish Camden NJ would take a few pages out of Wilmington's book on city building.

That being said. Wilmington is a city of 70,000 people located a mere 20 miles sw of a city with 1.5 million people. You can't get offended when a national publication uses Philadelphia as the biggest city near Hockessin.

You've claimed your estrangement from Philadelphia numerous times. Why the hate, haven't you heard that Philly is the Next Great USA City?
i don't hate philly. i love philly. and as evidenced by my avatar, i'm a die-hard philly fan.

what i hate is complete ignorance for the state of delaware. i've seen plenty in my life. if you ask people to describe delaware in one or two words, most people will stutter and have a blank look on their face; they have absolutely no clue about anything in delaware. to them, delaware is as foreign as countries like moldova or turkmenistan. they couldn't even tell you something basic about our state, like if it's woodland or prairie, touching the ocean, etc.

when i tell people (americans) what state i live in, they have no clue where it is. people have asked me if delaware is near maine, near ohio, near south carolina, and near louisiana. other people assume that i live in ohio when i say i'm from delaware; they'll say "oh, i have an uncle that lives about an hour from you in columbus, and i have a cousin that lives in cincinnati". to them, delaware is a town in ohio, not a state. outside of the united states is worse; i remember stopping at a full-service gas station in ontario near niagara falls (my grandparents have a cottage in the area so i'm up there frequently), and the attendant looked at our license plate and said "delaware, is that in the caribbean?" another time, someone from toronto thought delaware was a european country.

we've all seen charts that list scores, grades, or stats for the 50 states for various things, like sat scores or income per capita or countless other things. sometimes i look at the charts, and i only count 49 states; delaware gets left out of the list completely, as if the state didn't exist. i've even come across a list on this site that happened to leave out delaware. and once i came across a list that decided to include delaware with pennsylvania, as if delaware was part of pennsylvania.

i can go on and on about time where, but i've written plenty. if i told you guys all or most of the times i've seen ignorance of delaware, i'd probably overflow this post to a second page.

so that's why i get mad when people associate the wilmington area with philly; because too many people are too stupid to figure out that there really are cities in delaware. wilmington might be included in philadelphia's csa or msa or whatever, but that doesn't mean that wilmington is just a collection of subdivisions like most ignorant people would think. as i stated earlier, oakland is part of the san francisco msa, but what idiot would think that oakland just a bigger suburb of san francisco than all the rest? most people know or can figure out that oakland is it's own city that gets lumped together with san francisco because of proximity. the same goes for wilmington; yes, people commute from wilmington to philly (and vice versa), but that doesn't mean wilmington is just a suburb and is not a city in it's own right.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2006, 05:08 AM   #22
JBOB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

^ Get Over IT..

The fact is there's sum dumb son of a bitches in this Country. I guarantee you most people in the U.S. don't even know where Pennsylvania is let alone Deleware. The U.S.A. is ****ed up right now, people are constantly mind ****ed and confused. I say **** them and the boat they came on sons of bitches.
JBOB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 05:33 AM   #23
*Sweetkisses*

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx
i don't hate philly. i love philly. and as evidenced by my avatar, i'm a die-hard philly fan.

what i hate is complete ignorance for the state of delaware. i've seen plenty in my life. if you ask people to describe delaware in one or two words, most people will stutter and have a blank look on their face; they have absolutely no clue about anything in delaware. to them, delaware is as foreign as countries like moldova or turkmenistan. they couldn't even tell you something basic about our state, like if it's woodland or prairie, touching the ocean, etc.

when i tell people (americans) what state i live in, they have no clue where it is. people have asked me if delaware is near maine, near ohio, near south carolina, and near louisiana. other people assume that i live in ohio when i say i'm from delaware; they'll say "oh, i have an uncle that lives about an hour from you in columbus, and i have a cousin that lives in cincinnati". to them, delaware is a town in ohio, not a state. outside of the united states is worse; i remember stopping at a full-service gas station in ontario near niagara falls (my grandparents have a cottage in the area so i'm up there frequently), and the attendant looked at our license plate and said "delaware, is that in the caribbean?" another time, someone from toronto thought delaware was a european country.

we've all seen charts that list scores, grades, or stats for the 50 states for various things, like sat scores or income per capita or countless other things. sometimes i look at the charts, and i only count 49 states; delaware gets left out of the list completely, as if the state didn't exist. i've even come across a list on this site that happened to leave out delaware. and once i came across a list that decided to include delaware with pennsylvania, as if delaware was part of pennsylvania.

i can go on and on about time where, but i've written plenty. if i told you guys all or most of the times i've seen ignorance of delaware, i'd probably overflow this post to a second page.

so that's why i get mad when people associate the wilmington area with philly; because too many people are too stupid to figure out that there really are cities in delaware. wilmington might be included in philadelphia's csa or msa or whatever, but that doesn't mean that wilmington is just a collection of subdivisions like most ignorant people would think. as i stated earlier, oakland is part of the san francisco msa, but what idiot would think that oakland just a bigger suburb of san francisco than all the rest? most people know or can figure out that oakland is it's own city that gets lumped together with san francisco because of proximity. the same goes for wilmington; yes, people commute from wilmington to philly (and vice versa), but that doesn't mean wilmington is just a suburb and is not a city in it's own right.
You also have to take into account that Americans are not the brightest people on earth. If I were you, I wouldnt worry about it.
*Sweetkisses* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 05:50 AM   #24
jtown,man
The world is yours

omg..people have views of san fran like that...:S....amazing
Old April 1st, 2006, 03:02 AM   #25
deadmaker7

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx
I'll tell you what I don't get. When you say Wilmington it seems people will say, "Oh you mean that place Michael Jordan is from!" meaning of course Wilm. NC. Despite the fact that the DE Wilmington is over 100 years older, it is constantly overshadowed by its neighbor to the south
deadmaker7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 12:42 PM   #26
AndySocks
Outerborough Advocate

Likes (Received): 1

Surprisingly enough, I'm very familiar with Delaware, because when I was a little kid, my father always had to go on business trips to Newark, cause all the databases or something were down there... I remember him making fun of the way they pronounce it, "New-ARK" slowly rather than "New-'rk" really fast like in Jersey, haha. I also think he went to Wilmington every now and then.

But don't worry about people being ignorant about where you're from. I bet most people in the country think Rhode Island is an island.
AndySocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 07:18 PM   #27
lammius
Jersey FRESH

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySocks
Surprisingly enough, I'm very familiar with Delaware, because when I was a little kid, my father always had to go on business trips to Newark, cause all the databases or something were down there... I remember him making fun of the way they pronounce it, "New-ARK" slowly rather than "New-'rk" really fast like in Jersey, haha. I also think he went to Wilmington every now and then.

But don't worry about people being ignorant about where you're from. I bet most people in the country think Rhode Island is an island.
Funny you say that. I was watching JEOPARDY! once and the clue was something like "this is the largest island on the East Coast of the US" A contestant buzzed in and said Long Island, but Alex said "no." Time ran out and Alex said, "the correct answer is 'what is Rhode Island?'" I got so mad! I shouted at the TV, "RI is NOT an island!" And even if it were, wouldn't LI be larger anyway?
Old April 2nd, 2006, 05:15 AM   #28
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4268

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySocks

it's pronounced new-ark instead of new-erk because the two cities developed their names differently. as far as i know, newark, new jersey, has always been called newark, and so it has always been pronounced new-erk. newark, delaware, on the other hand, was originally called new wark, after the town of wark in england. so that is why we call it new-ark instead of new-erk.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:17 AM   #29
AndySocks
Outerborough Advocate

Likes (Received): 1

The state is bigger than Long Island, but not by much.
AndySocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #30
Illadelph
BANNED

Vernon Hill's 4,260 m² (45,854 ft²) mansion, the largest private residence in the State of New Jersey, is located in Moorestown.
Illadelph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #31
djcody

woo hoo, middleton and mequon made the list!
Old April 6th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #32
wheelingman
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Likes (Received): 9

Most people I talk to that aren't from near West Virginia don't even know it's a state. Most think I live in Virginia and the Richmond is my capital. It does piss me off.
Montreal is unique!!
wheelingman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 08:18 AM   #33
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

Likes (Received): 15

I hate to come in and make a digression in the thread, but I love philly women to death!!!