SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | One World Trade Center (1WTC) | 541m | 1776ft | 94 fl | Com

22M views 59K replies 4K participants last post by  Riley1066 
#1 ·
Since the world trade center is finally under construction. I wanted to create this thread for photos and news about skyscrapersd and the memorial happening at ground zero. Please post photos of the site plan, and construction photos happening at the site. Hope you guys enjoy!!!!!! :)

#19,192 ·
I vaugely recall reading a post recently (from Zen ?) that said they were using thicker steel to allow the steel to run further ahead of the core, up to 10 floors (if I remember right).

If so, then those numbers mean the steel is now almost 10 floors ahead and so will have to slow down for the concrete again - maybe is already slowing down.

Not good news.

Why does the concrete always seem to be the blocker on this building ?
I don't think they were using "thicker steel" to keep a larger gap between the steel and concrete, rather they were using a bracing system to distribute the load that would allow them to create the larger gap.

The concrete is so slow in this building because it isn't a typical core. They have to encase the core steel in concrete, so who knows what the forms they are using look like now. Not as straightforward as most buildings. Plus, the concrete is stronger than normal and may take longer to set (?).

#19,194 ·
I don't think they were using "thicker steel" to keep a larger gap between the steel and concrete, rather they were using a bracing system to distribute the load that would allow them to create the larger gap.
Could be. Zensteeldude said thicker columns in post 16871 though (found it!) http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=65360895&postcount=16871.

The concrete is so slow in this building because it isn't a typical core. They have to encase the core steel in concrete, so who knows what the forms they are using look like now. Not as straightforward as most buildings. Plus, the concrete is stronger than normal and may take longer to set (?).
That should all have been known and planned for though, and if they are pausing the steelwork to let concrete catch up (again) it sounds a lot like it's going slower than planned. Which means more schedule slip on the whole project.

#19,195 ·
Could be. Zensteeldude said thicker columns in post 16871 though (found it!) http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=65360895&postcount=16871.

That should all have been known and planned for though, and if they are pausing the steelwork to let concrete catch up (again) it sounds a lot like it's going slower than planned. Which means more schedule slip on the whole project.
Well, Zen would know more about it than I would. I'm sure he can clear stuff up whenever he reads this.