daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic

Northeast and MidAtlantic DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, VT, NH, MA, ME
» Development News | Baltimore / Washington DC| Buffalo / Niagara Falls | New Jersey | New York City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:46 AM   #101
HOME in D-ware
Proud Wilmingtonian

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I've been thinking about Delaware as the forgotten state, and it's a two-way street. As much as we are forgotten, that's less people that we have to wory about moving here. We all want growth, but do we want the over-development and rising prices (like land values) that go with it? Do we want Delaware to be like a Las Vegas or Phoenix? There's a fine line between promoting the state for all to know how great it is and keeping a low profile so that people don't come in and change everything.
I totally get what you are saying. The love, hate relationship with out-of-staters is alive and well in my household. We love there money but we hate the space they take up. We are only forgotten by name but this land we call home is loved by outsiders. You can go to the supermarket, look at license plates, and think you were at Disney World. I don't notice this as much in PA, NJ and MD. A lot of times I go out to eat and can't get a seat. There would be no problem if I could flick my fingers and all out-of-staters disappeared.

All I want is there to be 50 respected states. We don't have to be Las Vegas, Phoenix, or even Los Angeles but something better than we are now. Those maps have us under the bay and that's not cool.
. . . and that blank stare will cost you a dime.
HOME in D-ware no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:25 AM   #102
doctorjef
Delaware Adoptee

It's important that development be controlled and managed, and that there be a more or less agreed-upon philosophy of how development is to proceed. Even then, there will be times when expanding population will outgrow infrastructure faster than it can be provided. Development in Austin, TX over the perod of time I knew the place -- basically the 30 years between 1974 and 2004 (though I wasn't actually living there during portions of that time) -- largely proceeded in a way that has been good overall and improved quality of life for most people. This does come with the one big understanding that the price tag for that development was giving up any semblance of small town/little city life in exchange for a fully urbanised environment. For me, as for many people I'm sure, it was sad to see the hills surrounding the city becoming cluttered with mcmansions and condos, California-style, but a great deal of green space has been preserved nonetheless and new green recreational and preservation areas opened up. Fortunately, successive city and county governments have shown a fairly good balance between pro-development and environmentalist-preservationist factions, and there has a lot of public input that has been heard.

I think Delaware faces a similar challenge. It should be to do with luring in stable population groups and long-term business, maintaining natural environment and quality of life as key priorities, and developing infrastructure in a timely fashion (without which population growth becomes nightmarish).
New Castle County and Wilmington specifically are probably the main laboratories and demonstration projects in the State for this approach to development.

Last edited by doctorjef; August 2nd, 2007 at 10:37 AM.
doctorjef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:31 PM   #103
HOME in D-ware
Proud Wilmingtonian

I think the immediate Wilmington area as done a pretty good job of managing development. The entire Brandywine Valley offers a lot to families, history buffs, nature enthusiasts and so on. It's a nice place to take the kids and the grandparents with all the museums and gardens. I think most of the older neighborhoods are well organized. There are many beautiful parks and parkways throughout the city. We even have the urban wildlife refuge at the south end of the Riverfront. As for long-term business, the credit card and insurance sector should hold for sometime. I really think that we are becoming an important place for the development of alternative energies.

I went to the Delaware Shakespeare Festival at the exquisite Rockwood Mansion Park last night. Who says we don't have culture?

Last edited by HOME in D-ware; August 3rd, 2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:24 PM   #104
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4270

My Saints tickets came in the mail yesterday. I'll be going down with my friends to New Orleans for the Eagles game on December 23.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #105
doctorjef
Delaware Adoptee

The big move from London commences tomorrow morning. They come and pack tomorrow, take our stuff away on Tues, and we fly out on Wed a.m. So, I probably won't get back to these forums until sometime after Thurs. when our internet cable in Wilmington is supposed to be installed.

Orate fratres!
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #106
Tymel

Likes (Received): 8

Dont forget to post pictures
Tymel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #107
HOME in D-ware
Proud Wilmingtonian

To continue some thoughts from other threads...

Who commutes or knows someone who commutes using the SEPTA R2 line. I've never used the train and wonder how busy it gets? Sometimes there are reports on the news that involves the train station or the R2 line itself. The line seems to be lightly traveled from what I see and hear. The dozen or so passengers that go to Philadelphia mostly come from Wilmington (not the suburbs of Wilmington) and seem to work lesser jobs. I don't want to offend anyone and I really have no idea.

I believe there are many more people who travel from other states to work in Delaware than there are Delawareans who work in other states. I was told that MD, PA, and NJ have a deal relating to wage taxes of commuters. Delaware is not included in the deal. I figure it's because the number of people who work between the three states is roughly equal. If Delaware was part of agreement; MD, PA, and NJ all know they would lose money. Again I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #108
HOME in D-ware
Proud Wilmingtonian

The trend for all those people who travel into Wilmington for the days work is to run back home to the suburban life. They act as if they hate Wilmington. Many people see the city as the place they are forced to work in. They think there is no reason to stay afterwards or come back on weekends.

I can tell these people, "that is the wrong way to treat your city." The response would be, "my city? This is not my city. This is just Wilmington."

Just Wilmington! It's just the place where all area roads lead to. It's just the place with the port. It's just the place with all the museums and theaters. It's just the place with the zoo. It's just the place with the big buildings filled with thousands of workers.

People in this area need to stop looking at the suburban communities as one and only places. They all surround a center point which is Wilmington. Come from all directions to meet in the middle and support your city. Wilmington, it's just the place to be.

The lack of liveliness in Wilmington was mentioned in another thread. It's between the Delawareans who look down on their state and the rest of Americans who don't know we exist. The city needs outsiders to come in to prosper and so far little has happened.

Last edited by HOME in D-ware; August 17th, 2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #109
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I met Ex-Ithacan today; he came up to Wilmington to see the city for the first time in a few years. We had lunch at Leo & Jimmy's on Market Street and then walked around Center City for a while.
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #110
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

I take it nobody here ever wants to meet me.
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #111
HOME in D-ware
Proud Wilmingtonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I met Ex-Ithacan today; he came up to Wilmington to see the city for the first time in a few years. We had lunch at Leo & Jimmy's on Market Street and then walked around Center City for a while.
That's good. What were his impressions of the city and the recent changes? Did your walk involve snapping some shots? I saw that pic of the 4W5 building and thought it might be from today.

I have some pictures of my own that need to be uploaded but I keep putting it aside.
Old August 16th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #112
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
I take it nobody here ever wants to meet me.
You're never in Delaware. Come down to Wilmington, and I'll show you around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOME in D-ware View Post
That's good. What were his impressions of the city and the recent changes? Did your walk involve snapping some shots? I saw that pic of the 4W5 building and thought it might be from today.

I have some pictures of my own that need to be uploaded but I keep putting it aside.
He did see some noticeable changes. He drove up Route 13 into Wilmington and saw the Christina Landing project. He also seemed impressed with all of the DuPont buildings downtown: DuPont Building, Nemours Building, and Brandywine Building. I also pointed out that Wilmington Trust has a couple buildings, and the new WSFS Bank Center, and he noted how Wilmington is built on banks and credit cards.

He can tell you his impressions more than I can, though. I was busy telling him about the history of various buildings.
Old August 16th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #113
Ex-Ithacan
Old Fart

Likes (Received): 53

Yep, I got to meet and spend some time with Matt today. I gotta tell any of you who've not met him, he's a wonderfully nice young man (well, young to me anyway ), and filled with info about Wilmington.

I hope to get back to Wilmington in the future and see if maybe a forum meet might be possible. Seems like an interesting city to explore.

Thanks for your time today Matt, and I hope to have some pics up by this weekend.
Old August 16th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #114
HOME in D-ware
Proud Wilmingtonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
I hope to get back to Wilmington in the future and see if maybe a forum meet might be possible. Seems like an interesting city to explore.
I know xzmattzx tried for a Wilmington meet before. It got some lookers but nobody stepped up to make it a reality. Maybe now is a better time to discuss such a forum meet. I would like to join a group on a tour of Wilmington, New Castle, and the chateau country. That would be a very beautiful and interesting trip sure to fill a days time. I guess we can talk about it at the least.

P.S., Nice to see Ex-Ithacan wanting to come back.
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #115
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

That Philly fourm meet I tried for months ago never worked. Nobody even showed and I was waiting at JFK Plaza for an hour and gave up after that. I even managed to find a parking spot within Center City at 18th St near JFK Blvd, which was very close to where I wanted to meet anyone who would have shown up. Another problem is that most Philly fourmers don't post here, they are over at SSP. If I was still able to post there more of them would have answered yes to it.
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #116
doctorjef
Delaware Adoptee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOME in D-ware View Post
I know xzmattzx tried for a Wilmington meet before. It got some lookers but nobody stepped up to make it a reality. Maybe now is a better time to discuss such a forum meet. I would like to join a group on a tour of Wilmington, New Castle, and the chateau country. That would be a very beautiful and interesting trip sure to fill a days time. I guess we can talk about it at the least.

P.S., Nice to see Ex-Ithacan wanting to come back.
I'd be interested in a forum meet/New Castle Co. tour/day out. I'll have a few out of town obligations coming up in the near future, but otherwise... Sometime after Labor Day and a little cooler weather I would think...
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #117
Tymel

Likes (Received): 8

So how are you liking Delaware?
Tymel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #118
doctorjef
Delaware Adoptee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
So how are you liking Delaware?
Apart from the fact it's in the United States and is full of Americans, it's ok.
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #119
doctorjef
Delaware Adoptee

OK, let me try to mitigate the snottiness of the above post. Yeah, DE's ok. I chose to move here, after all. However, my partner and I only moved back from the UK due the combined factors of the continued weakness of the US dollar and the lack of a solution for escaping the dual taxation of our US-domiciled assets when we transferred monies from America to Britain (there's a tax treaty that reduces the rate of taxation in the UK but doesn't get rid of the burden of additional taxation).
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #120
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

That comment sounded kind of strange at first, but it didn't really seem that bad to me. It just sounded like you're a little homesick for London.

I'm off to Buffalo/Canada for vacation. See everyone in 10 days.