SkyscraperCity Forum banner

DUBAI | Burj Khalifa (Burj Dubai) | World's Tallest Structure | 828m | 2717ft | 163 fl | Com

13M views 32K replies 3K participants last post by  Engineer guy_31 
#1 · (Edited)
Height: 818m
Floors: 162
Use: Mixed (hotel, res and office)
Architect: SOM
Developer: Emaar

----------------------------------------------------------

I felt a new thread for this project was necessarily because of the insane amount of non-stop drivel being posted in the previous one. The entire thread is filled with either people posting crap or people complaining about others posting crap and it's time for that to end.
Of course there has been a massive positive contribution as well, loads of renders, 1000s of photos, inside info and so on, I just think it's time to give this thread a fresh start.

We're going to need some new guidelines, otherwise we'll just end up with the same old drivel filled thread again so here they are:

1: When posting lots of photos at once you can have a few large photos in the same post but if you have a lot more the rest should be thumbnailed, not everyone has an ultra-fast connection. To do this you can go to http://imageshack.us and do it there. A model post can be found here
2: Quoting other people's pictures should not be done (unless there's a good reason for doing so). If you want to comment about someone's photos you can quote their text or just refer to the photo but don't repost it.
3: Reposting loads of old photos will not be allowed unless the photos are reposted for a good reason (ie, to explain something) or just happen to be insanely good (such as the night shot in this thread).
4: Please do not post trivial info that everybody already knows, or exists just a few pages back (ie, "I think the building will have about 160 floors", "when was the last update?", etc).
5: Please limit the amount of "great updates" type posts. If you want to make such a comment you can but make sure a lot of people haven't said similar things right before you.
6: Any post complaining about another member will be deleted, if you have problems with someone else PM the mods and we'll sort it out. This was a real problem in the previous thread and will NOT be tolerated this time.
7: If you post someone else's photo then please give a link where you got it from or else mention the creator's name.
8: When quoting multiple posts please combine them all into one post rather than creating lots of posts in a row.

There are probably some more I could list but can't think of them off the top of my head. They're more like guidelines anyway rather than black and white rules but you get the idea, ie, more quality vs quantity.
The best thing to do before you click the "submit reply" button is read back over your post and ask yourself, will people be interested in reading my post? If the answer is no then it might be better not to bother posting it.

----------------------------------------------------------

Now for the Burj Dubai stuff :)

The previous thread

Some websites:

www.emaar.com
www.burjdubai.com
www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com
www.dubaimegaprojects.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Dubai

Model:

More pictures of a different model (of the entire burj dubai downtown project):

October 10th, 2007 diagram from Culwulla:

Burj Dubai Downtown render:

Amazing night shot (Old):

Skyline shot:

Latest photo update (October 2007):

I will add more stuff to the first post when new info comes out.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
The BD monster thread is dead - what a surprise at night. That's not a revolt, it's a revolution! :eek:
But I understand it had to be done sooner or later.

Now some latest news to the topic from the old thread:
Pablobegood mentionned there, that Burj Dubai has reached the 155th floor recently, as shown in the latest photo update (probably taken yesterday). It's a bit difficult to tell at first sight, but after enlarging the photo I see the 4th level of tier 15 u/c - that must be number 155. The height should be 579.30 m now according to the floorplans posted by Fury on October 4th. So now concrete should be poured for the first of two only 3.20 meter high mechanical floors.
And as Culwulla has written, the tip of the 50m-crane is now standing 625 meters tall, nearly as high as the so far world's tallest structure, the KVLY-TV mast in Fargo (628.8 m)...

...and the best is yet to come! :cucumber:

#7 ·
Anyone have a rough estimate as to when this will Surpass the Fargo ND structure and of course the late Warsaw radio mast. WOW!! The World's tallest structure ever,it will be great when this day arrives. And yet this is a true skyscraper,not just a cable supported transmission tower. Way to go Burj!!

#8 · (Edited)
i reckon after concrete has topped out at lev155, the rest of the tower will catch up so that all concrete is done.
Then the next half a dozen floors which are steel frame concrete floor will be next phase which will reach lev162 or 624m high. It may stay at this height for a while. so it will be just under tallest structure for a tease.
Then the next 4 tiers are each 19m high and consist of 3x 6m high levels will be erected, which will reach tier22 or 701m. This is highest main roof.
then onto 2 more 19m high tiers (23 & 24) reaching tier 24 or 739m.
Then 3x 10m high tiers which all have 3m high levels topping out at tier27/768m.
I also think the pinnacle will be constructed in these levels and hoisted up in sections to telescope to 818m or thereabouts. my theory.lol

Above lev155 or top of concrete section, the steel section will rise 232 more metres. or equvilent to adding park Place on top!

#13 ·
The BD monster thread is dead - what a surprise at night. That's not a revolt, it's a revolution! :eek:
But I understand it had to be done sooner or later.

Now some latest news to the topic from the old thread:
Pablobegood mentionned there, that Burj Dubai has reached the 155th floor recently, as shown in the latest photo update (probably taken yesterday). It's a bit difficult to tell at first sight, but after enlarging the photo I see the 4th level of tier 15 u/c - that must be number 155. The height should be 579.30 m now according to the floorplans posted by Fury on October 4th. So now concrete should be poured for the first of two only 3.20 meter high mechanical floors.
And as Culwulla has written, the tip of the 50m-crane is now standing 625 meters tall, nearly as high as the so far world's tallest structure, the KVLY-TV mast in Fargo (628.8 m)...

...and the best is yet to come! :cucumber:
That link doesn't bring up any pics, is there another link? thanks

#14 ·
CULWULLA, your plan is full of mistakes... you're probably using old model.
I compared floors with this one... http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/9837/burjdubaicm7.th.jpg
...and it's absolutely correct and precise.
The top part of Culwulla's diagram (steel section) is as correct as it can be at this stage.

I don't know about the bottom part since I've never bothered to follow diagrams comparisons and analysis, but I don't think that part would be "full of mistakes" either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.