SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mangalore Cityscapes

590K views 4K replies 98 participants last post by  avi mangalore 
#1 ·
Photos copyright Chandan

See less See more
#37 · (Edited)
^^ The first picture of Urwa - Ashoka Nagara area is taken from the top of Lady hill- Chilimbi hill ridge. The river is Gurupura river (aka Phalguni river) which runs parallel to Arabian sea and forms a sandpit in between the sea and the river called Bengre. The east-west flowing Gurupura river takes a right turn near New Mangalore Port, during Tippu's time it used to join the sea at Sultan Battery, now it joins Netravathi river further down near Jeppu before joining the sea. The state government has a plan to develop Bengre, Taneerbhavi area as a tourist destination by developing a golfcourse, a marine park, a ropeway across the river, etc. Also, there is a plan to develop a ring road or marine drive road called Mangala Corniche running parallel to the rivers. The north and east of Mangalore are getting more & more urbanized and so this may be one of the last pictures capturing greenery of this place.

The second picture, as already pointed out by Scorpiogenius, is of Hampanakatte area, taken from a building (Hotel Poonja International?) on K S Rao Road. Hotel Taj Mahal is at extreme left, brown building Hotel Dhanyavad is at the centre. The place in between Hotel Dhanyavad and Hotel Poonja International was old main bus stop of Mangalore and now it will be developed as a parking cum commercial complex. The big building behind Wenlock hospital, and behind the street light is Mohtisham - The Presidium at Attavara circle.

The third picture is of Hampanakatte and Lighthouse Hill (ಬಾವುಟಗುಡ್ಡೆ) area. The picture might have been taken from a building (Mohtisham - The Presidium?) at Attavara Circle. Shortly this view is going to be obstructed by Presidency Skycourt, a 15 storeyed building, coming up in between Mohtisham Presidium and Mohtisham Shamoon Palace.

#43 · (Edited)
^^ I am not sure on this place. It looks like KSRTC-Kadri road stretch taken near KSRTC stop at Bejai. I think those electrical posts + transformer might have been removed now and road is further expanded on that side.

In the post #41 any Mangalorean can identify Empire Mall. The other picture is of Bejai, Lalbagh area, but, I can only identify TMA Pai convention center with all difficulties. This picture is smaller version of the second picture in post #39.

Of course Norman Pinto's post #40 is M G Road near Ladyhill Circle.

#49 ·
The shorter building on the left is Kasturba Medical College (KMC), established in January 1955, along with the one in Manipal, is the first medical college in India in the private sector. [www.manipal.edu]. The taller building on the right is the later addition during 1980s.

#52 ·
^^ Yes. It is MCC building. The road is from KSRTC bustop to Ballalbaugh. It had a very good footpath, now the footpath is gone and road is concretized.

Sorry. I can't recongnize the hill in the previous picture as none of the buildings are identifiable. Coconut trees & hills are very common site in Mangalore region.