daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Speakers' Corner

Speakers' Corner For London related discussion

Old January 4th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #181
EtakaC4

Likes (Received): 0

Terrible loss. Rest in peace
EtakaC4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #182
Heavens Above

R.I.P mate, your pictures were and still are amazing!!!!
Heavens Above no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #183
1LONDONER

Likes (Received): 22

R.I.P

Such a great contributor to this site, and I dont think there is anything I can say that hasnt been said already in this thread.
1LONDONER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #184
Sy
Bada Bing!

Likes (Received): 149

Wow what a loss, the guys was a pure talent. I always enjoyed his daring and stunning photos. He did London proud with his photos. I always thought his exploits and photos would bring him great wealth one day (if he wanted) and I'm sorry to hear that they have been cut short.

Also this quote by him in the Urban Photo Contest last year seems appropiate.

Quote:
However, I choose to live my life to a different tune of music, one which is not censored or wrapped up so much with a blanket of over regulation, Health and Safety gone mad ( because these days it has) , fear and blind compliance to anything you are told to do ....a blanket so thick, that you no longer can hear the music.
If I'm injured , you'll hear me blaming only one person......myself.
Its acceptance of personal responsibility for my actions......a quality that's very much lacking in society these days.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...153&highlight=

Last edited by Sy; January 6th, 2010 at 08:52 PM.
Sy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #185
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 11771

so people know i am intending to go to the funeral when it is sorted. ill be taking some flowers on behalf of SSC ...
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #186
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 300

That's a very nice thought Gothic, thanks.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #187
musefreek

Likes (Received): 5

what a shock...

rest in peace Downfallen. i shall miss your contributions immensely.
musefreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #188
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

Downfallens pictures were something you'd always look out for on here. Whenever I saw a Downfallen post I'd click if first, as you knew it wouldnt just be a dancing banana.

I was genuinely shocked when I saw this news, despite not knowing or meeting the man behind the name. I dont even know if i conversed with him on here.

RIP mate.
Republica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #189
Sandeman
everything's looking up

Likes (Received): 1

just terrible news. I pray for his family.
Sandeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #190
Borromini's Ghost

Likes (Received): 28

RIP.
Obviously a determined and passionate person who lived for what he did, and was aware of the inherent dangers therein.
Downfallen posted some of the best, if not the best, photos of London I've ever seen.
A tragic loss, my condolences go out to all those close to him.

Last edited by Borromini's Ghost; January 12th, 2010 at 12:21 PM.
Borromini's Ghost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #191
old_friend

I went to boarding school with Downfallen. We were dorm mates and good friends.

A few days ago I received a text from another old schoolmate, telling me the terrible news about Downfallen’s accident on 21st Dec 09. I was and still am shocked and saddened.

I did a little searching and came up with a couple of sites that he used to post on, so I hope you don’t mind me posting here to share some fond memories of a truly lovely guy.

Even when we were at school together, Downfallen had a zest for life and a keen sense of adventure. Looking back, I suppose the seeds of his BASE jumping and urban exploration career were already there. He would climb a tree, come down and then climb it again using a different route. He loved to climb the school building both inside and outside.

I remember we had a small parcel shelf about 10 feet up on top of a thin corridor down one end of the school. The only way you could get to it was to wedge your feet against one wall, your hands against the other and slowly shimmy up, like climbing inside a chimney stack.

The corridor was painted in that dull thick grey industrial paint, and the floor was stone, polished clean by the tramping of past and present pupils. I remember many times on a wintery Saturday night I would be walking down the corridor and Downfallen’s voice would call down to me. He had just been hiding up there, waiting for someone to walk by so he could see their reaction when he shouted to them through the cold December air.

He loved aircraft and at the time had wanted to become a fighter pilot. We would talk and he would marvel at how it might one day feel to be high above the Earth, doing something, living his dreams and a life that few other humans are capable of. The military used to fly over the school during their training flights, and Downfallen had a keen ear. He could tell you just by listening to the engine note what kind of aircraft was approaching.

I can remember him wanting to jump out of the dining room window on the first floor one day. I thought he was mad, as you would need to jump out a fair way to clear the trees at the bottom but he wanted to do it just to prove it could be done. I said that he didn’t have any protective equipment, but he just smiled and asked to borrow my school scarf, wrapping mine around one ankle and his around the other as a makeshift brace.

He edged out onto the windowsill, looked down briefly, smiled at me and made the jump. He cleared the trees, but landed awkwardly and limped for a few days with a mildly sprained ankle.

Naturally, the school Principal found out and cornered us all to ask what had happened.

Quick as a flash, Downfallen said “It was a sponsored jump for charity Miss.”

“Which charity?” the Principal asked.

“Save the Children, Miss!” Downfallen replied.

Needless to say the Principal did not believe him and was not amused.

However, neither his injury nor the obligatory detention slowed him down and he was soon back to climbing anything he could and plotting his next prank.

He may never have flown a fast jet, but he certainly succeeded in doing something, living his dreams and a life few other humans are capable of.

Downfallen old friend, words can not express how sorely missed you will be.
old_friend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #192
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 332

Thank you

The more I hear about Darren, the more I realise how lucky I was to have known him....even for only a short time of time.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #193
Nightjar
Bird

Likes (Received): 7944

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_friend View Post
He would climb a tree, come down and then climb it again using a different route. He loved to climb the school building both inside and outside.

What a dude!

He must have driven the teachers and caretakers bandy!!!

Candidate for best 1st post ever - thanks old_friend - brilliant.
Nightjar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #194
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2904

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
so people know i am intending to go to the funeral when it is sorted. ill be taking some flowers on behalf of SSC ...
That's very kind of you "Gothiform", thanks for doing it on behalf of SSC forumers, we all appreciate your initiative...Thank you.

Many thanks to you "Old friend" as well for this funny & touching story, I wish I had known Darren too, he definitely appeared to be one of a kind...In france, when a very nice, good and exemplary person dies too soon, one usually says "Ce sont toujours les meilleurs qui partent les premiers" ("The best ones always go first"), it's so true...

Last edited by Jex7844; February 23rd, 2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes corrected
Jex7844 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:11 AM   #195
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 332

http://www.splatula.com/bfl/

The details of Darrens final moments enjoying his sport are posted here. Very uncomfortable reading, but in a way it feels like closure to me.

Now I can accept that the slip of one mans foot can lead to sadness for so many people.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:45 AM   #196
Cat man do
Founder of the 'Gy'.

Likes (Received): 526

I don't know if this is the exact jump spot but here is a vid from someone doing the same jump or near by. Amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvRlBAHV1OQ
Cat man do está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:55 PM   #197
JackF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat man do View Post
I don't know if this is the exact jump spot but here is a vid from someone doing the same jump or near by. Amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvRlBAHV1OQ
Not the same exit point but close. D was jumping at the Mighty P, I think that's Yellow Ocean.

If you're not wasted, the day is.
JackF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:14 PM   #198
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1457

So many deaths at Lauterbrunnen.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 09:16 PM   #199
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD