daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Speakers' Corner

Speakers' Corner For London related discussion

Old December 24th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #161
Aesir

Likes (Received): 0

i am a lurker of 3 years and finally decide to join up and post.
i was always in awe of Downfallen's work, some of those pics gave me sweaty palsm just looking at them. in a bizarre way i had a kind of connection to him in that my missus (a lawyer) gave the opinion he had broken no Dubai law in base jumping off the burj. i lived looking at that building and it is unreal in size. a truly inspirational guy and a real shame i never got to buy him a beer.
Aesir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #162
beleevme
DJZoneOne

Likes (Received): 7

welcome to the forum Aesir
As a few of you have may noticed, new members with only 1 or 2 posts could have been lurking around the forums and decided to join primarily to pay their respects. It just shows important Downfallen was, not just to registered members, but anyone browsing the forums
beleevme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #163
Snowy

Likes (Received): 9

RIP mate, not only were you an incredibly interesting and talented guy, but you were a true gent too.
Snowy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #164
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2900

Still in Xmas eve,I'm full up and yet the dessert is to come,but despite everything I'm still thinking of our mate,Darren,who's gone on monday.Once again it just shows how fragile & precious life is.I can imagine the sadness of his family & friends,it must be a rough time,but I just wanna say that DownFallen will be remembered,we've actually lost our greatest contributor and we're missing him already.His work was fantastic,we'll never hold a candle to him.Now he's in Heaven,and for sure he would want us to carry on chating about architecture...I would have loved to meet him though as he was said to be a real gentleman.RIP Darren,and thank you so much for your unique pics.I dunno when but we'll catch up there dude.
Having said that,merry Xmas to you all.

Last edited by Jex7844; December 26th, 2009 at 02:09 PM.
Jex7844 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #165
sarahcat

Hi everybody. I just wanted to say thanks very much for all of the messages. I have been Darren's partner for the last 4 years or so and will be printing off all of these posts to show to his family.

Thank you very much too for the list of links to his reports. I'd be grateful for any other links so that I can try and (in time) compile something again to show to his parents so that they can see how he spent his time the last 3 years or so.

Many thanks everyone. I'm sure he would have appreciated all of your kind words!
sarahcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #166
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 324

I met you once at Broadgate tower and you too seemed to share so much in common. Of lot of people dont realise its actually you in the foreground of a lot of Darren's pictures....a real tribute of his affection.

I am so sorry for your loss

Take care

Mark

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #167
N1

The world needs more people with a free spirit and the guts to do their own thing - like downfallen.

Respect.

R.I.P.
N1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #168
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 28

i'm sorry for all you people who actually spoke with him, especially those who were with him last time, and his family of course. i met him a few years ago on the broadgate tower trip but one of the people i didn't speak to. he took a nice photo of me which was posted but it seems to have been taken down. i may have some of his old photos saved on my computer that i'll try to dig out.
Old December 27th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #169
wazcaster
Sheffield Noob

Location: Longridge (Near Preston), UK, EU, Europe, Eurasia, World, Milky Way, Universe

I havent logged into SSC for a good while, but when I read this news when I came for a brief Heron/Shard check I was shocked. I never even so much as sent a PM to Downfallen, but I was always amazed by his bravery and his truly astounding urban photography. He was great because he went further than anybody else dared, and we may never see anyone like him ever again. He was truly unique and truly great.

But we have not just lost a great photographer, SSC London, and indeed Skyscrapercity as a whole has lost a great member of its community, and he will be missed by many here. The contributions to this thread from members who, like myself, never even knew him is testament to his impact on the community.

My condolences go to his family, his partner and all who knew and loved him. Rest in peace Downfallen.

Flikr PaperScrapers
wazcaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #170
Frankus Maximus

Likes (Received): 733

I was in awe of his photographs and daring.
Condolences and thoughts to your family and friends.
Frankus Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #171
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 324

Society ::
Deadly 24 hours in Switzerland: base-jumping, roads, trains
Geneva, Switzerland (GenevaLunch) - A man died when his car crashed into a tree in Geneva and another when his car rolled into a field in Valais, another man died while base-jumping in Lauterbrunnen, and a railway worker was run over by a train at the Zurich train station, in a 24-hour period Monday and Tuesday 22 December. The series of unrelated deadly accidents brought to 21 the number of people who have died on Geneva roads in 2009 and to seven the number of people who have killed themselves base-jumping in Lauterbrunnen in 2009.

The Geneva driver was a 57-year-old Russian man, resident in Geneva, driving a gray BMW. He was heading from the Place des Nations shortly after 04:00 on the Route de Ferney when he lost control of his vehicle.

Police say there were no signs of braking or skid marks, nor were there any witnesses to the accident. The car went up a sidewalk, hit a wall, drove into a tree and was flipped on its side. The man, who was not wearing a seat belt, was thrown against the passenger door, hitting his head hard.

A 72-year-old driver went off the road and his car rolled 15 metres into a field at 02:30 near Saxon, canton Valais, early Tuesday, killing the man. The cause of the accident is not known.

A 37-year-old British base-jumper died when he slipped as he was taking off from the Mürrenfluh in Lauterbrunnen, canton Bern. Police say his parachute opened, but headed towards the cliff and he slammed into it. The man died of his injuries at the scene, despite rapid emergency services. Lauterbrunnen is a popular destination for base-jumping.
The railway worker was repairing the tracks in Zurich when he was run over by a regional train heading for Chur, at the Zurich train station.

Posted by :: Ellen Wallace on 23 December 2009 at 13:40 | permalink

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #172
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Likes (Received): 2

RIP Downfallen.

I just saw this news coming back from holiday and I am still in shock.

We will miss you.

You will remain with us through your memorable photographs and contributions.
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #173
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 796

Besides Downfallen, are there any other SSC users who have legitimately passed away?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #174
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 5689

This is shocking. Downfallen's pictures were one of the highlights of this site.
RIP. You will be missed.
Octoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 04:24 AM   #175
Vanguard

Likes (Received): 207

I'd actually viewed some of his videos on You Tube without realising who it was, and I have to say that you can't but admire/envy the attitude of people who refuse to live their existence behind the safety of closed doors, wrapped up in cotton wool, waiting for the world to come to them. I'm very confident the world would be a lesser place without their kind.

This quote seems apt:
Quote:
It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
RIP
Vanguard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 12:36 PM   #176
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 271

Goodbye to an inspirational man. Your pictures will always be remembered and enjoyed.
steppenwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:52 AM   #177
Mikey
Aerial Erector

Likes (Received): 3

A Tribute to Downfallen has been posted on youtube view it here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ3_auVZWPA
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:13 AM   #178
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1603

God how awful. His exploits were legendary and his pictures incredible. He died young, but at least he died without suffering (as most of us will) a long drawn-out and painful physical decline. He also died doing what he loved, and in one of the most most beautiful valleys on earth, a fitting place for a grand spirit. We'll all miss him....
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:11 PM   #179
JackF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
A Tribute to Downfallen has been posted on youtube view it here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ3_auVZWPA
That's actually one of DF's vids. Part 2 of his Best of 2007.

If you're not wasted, the day is.
JackF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:14 PM   #180
Troynovant

Lurker for several years. Joined to add my condolences to Downfallen's friends and family. His pictures were so amazing, an inspiration. He really lived free, RIP.
Troynovant no está en línea   Reply With Quote