search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:19 PM   #781
LondonerN1

Likes (Received): 221

The Hoxton Cinema goes into planning

A planning application has been submitted to bring the old cinema in Pitfield Street, Hoxton, back to life.

Formerly the Gaumont Cinema, it opened in 1914 and closed in 1956. All that remains now is the striking facade.

This is from the planning notices section of Hackney Today:

"Retention and restoration of existing cinema facade and erection of a part 5 part 7 storey plus basement building to provide a 3 screen cinema with anicllary cafe/bar and 19 residential units with associated terraces."

I don't know who the developer is, but this is potentially great news.

A photo from before the building behind the facade was demolished: http://www.flickr.com/photos/iantindale/305298823/

Not a massive project but I thought it was worth mentioning
LondonerN1 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2011, 02:38 AM   #782
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1617

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac1848 View Post
The Dutch still build terraces today and terracing is often dense (and hence does save space) and I never said anything about the city centre since you used the general term 'urban'. A friend of mine from Antwerp lives in an apartment building no higher than many terraces here, whilst plenty of blocks in Paris are no taller than 4/5 floors. Villages aren't stuffed with London-style townhouses either whilst the suburbs should ideally be mostly detached housing (look at new builds close to Brussels).

Anyway, you're clearly blinded by your own bizarre ideology on how cities should look, so it's a waste of time trying to point out your flawed thinking.
Exactly. There are no grand London-style terraces in any village that I've been to.

I know Paris very well, and the older buildings are typically 4 stories high (the same as a low London terrace), and the taller ones are 7 stories tall (the same as a grander London terrace).

In Paris the buildings themselves are often more densely packed, but I don't see that as an advantage. Trees and gardens are nice in a city.

Also residential density doesn't create exciting urban environments. Look at the high-rise residential suburbs of almost every eastern bloc city: utterly lifeless. Paris's 16th is another dense but lifeless residential area. By contrast Soho, Covent Garden, Shoreditch, Brick Lane, etc, are full of buildings between 4-10 stories, yet those districts are full of life, and very urban in character.

It's not residential building height that generates street life. It's the volume of commercial space (eg retail, restaurants, bars, etc).

And anyone who thinks Vienna's an "exciting urban environment" next to London needs to travel more. London is by far the most exciting urban environment in Europe.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #783
LazyOaf

Likes (Received): 348

London College of Communication could sell Elephant & Castle tower

Friday 4 November 2011
London SE1 website team

The London College of Communication is planning to redevelop its Elephant & Castle campus - and the new buildings could be part-funded by the sale of the college's tower building.

The plans for the Elephant & Castle site were revealed in Arts London News, a newspaper produced by journalism students at the London College of Communication.

Head of college Professor Sandra Kemp told the paper: "The starting point for a future development would not be, as in the case of King's Cross, to look for a fantastic new site to develop, but to build on the potential of this site as our location in Elephant & Castle is so important to us."

"So much of the history and legacy of the college resides in this site, so we're looking at a feasibility study at the moment and we're in the middle of interviewing six architectural practices who've come forward to say they would be interested in working with us on this new college project."

It is likely that the tower site would be redeveloped for residential use, with new space for the college built on to the existing design, workshop and media blocks.

According to ALN, the redevelopment could be completed in time for the start of the 2014/15 academic year.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5630
LazyOaf no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #784
Required

Likes (Received): 71

I'm with El_Greco - tenements are more suitable for cities than terraces. Terraces give the impression of private and domestic space. Space in cities should feel public and be designed so that walkers can enjoy it without feeling like they are intruding into a domestic zone.

Last edited by Required; January 23rd, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Required no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #785
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 7809

Some interesting comparisons -

Old November 5th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #786
JG12

Likes (Received): 1

Paris looks great from the air!
JG12 no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #787
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 1916

London and Paris are shown at a different scale to the others. I could see that from the Station in Madrid even before I looked at the scale on the bottom right.
ill tonkso no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #788
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 7809

Doesnt really matter, these do their job of illustrating centre/inner city just fine.

Last edited by El_Greco; November 6th, 2011 at 02:42 PM.
El_Greco no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #789
potto

Likes (Received): 8429

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG12 View Post
Paris looks great from the air!
because it was designed from the air, like Wrens City of London masterplan
potto no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #790
vank

London and Paris are the most beautiful cities.
vank no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #791
vank

Found this projects:

Kingsgate House Residential

66-74 Victoria Street

1 Merchant Square (149m.)

Merchant Square

( Nice tower!)
vank no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #792
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 657

The new Kingsgate House is almost as ugly as the old one. That's a serious achievement. Is it really residential?
Old November 7th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #793
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1617

Look how few trees and parks there are in most European city centres! I live in a dense urban area, and I take huge pleasure in my proximity to Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens. Walks among the trees through the changing seasons keep me sane. Indeed the areas around the central London parks are the most desirable in the world if foreign sales and property prices are anything to go by. They must be doing something right!!

I often go out in east London. I love the vibe around Brick Lane, Hoxton, Shoreditch, etc. The nightlife is cool and the restaurants are numerous and good. However the reasons I don't want to move there are...

1) ugly building stock
2) no parks

In the European city centres you highlight, there are virtually no parks anywhere, and the few they do have are tiny. That may boost density, but it also makes them less attractive.

Naples is an ugly and dysopian city in many ways. Yes the pizza's great, and the new metro line is pretty, but it's full of crime, corruption, and is way too shabby and crowded to be pleasant. I'd rather live in the hills around Naples than the city itself.

Athens is really ugly. Sorry but give me a London terrace any day over an apartment in a 8-10 storey concrete block amidst a vast sea of equally unattractive blocks in a generally unattractive city with so little variety or open space.

Madrid is ok, but I've never found it architecturally inspiring. The few monumental buildings it does have are often overblown and not to my taste (eg Madrid Post Office). The residential areas and buildings are not as attractive as London's. Show me any part of Madrid as nice as, say, Kensington.

El Greco, you seem to value a certain level of consistent residential density for the sake of it. Your dream is for miles and miles of regimented and repetitive residential apartment buildings of 6-9 stories. But why stop there? Why only look at European models? Why not go for hyper-density like in Hong Kong? Is ever denser really ever more attractive? I don't think so at all, and imo it's only young singles who are bored of their low-density low-excitement outer suburbs who ever form such an opinion. Imo they should just move somewhere more central.

I personally think there's a happy balance. Cities need urban density, but they also needs trees and garden squares and parks. Suburbs also have their charms. I love the leafy suburban streets right now in Autumn. They're also nicer places to bring up a family. Imo London is actually the ideal of urban density. We have the densest urban district in Europe (the City), the densest and most exciting concentrations of nightlife and entertainment (the West End and now Hoxton/Shoreditch/Brick Lane), the best centrally located parks, the most trees and garden squares, and the most variety and choice in terms of urban landscape and lifestyle. London doesn't impose a choice by sheer monotony. It offers variety allowing you to choose to suit yourself.

I also look at these European cities, and I think they've stagnated and are making bad choices for the future. Cities like Paris, Madrid, and Naples can't/won't build skyscrapers (or much else that's new) except in these awful modernist ghettoes on their outskirts. Skyscrapers will never really become loved and integrated parts of the city so long as they're confined to ghettoes on the fringes of the city. Pure modernist environments such as Canary Wharf, La Defense, Centro Direzionale, Cuatro Torres, etc, leave me cold. They're dry and charmless. Meanwhile their historic city centres, which are loved and lovable, stagnate into museum cities. I much prefer London's dynamism, variety, and mix.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

Last edited by Langur; November 7th, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
Langur no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #794
Loyalist.
Let's modernise Britain

Likes (Received): 78

Very disappointing comments by Peter Rees:

City tells Boris – ‘no more Shards please’
Posted on October 28, 2011 by louise
The Corporation of London has included critical remarks about the impact of the Shard at London Bridge, in its official response to mayor Boris Johnson’s London View Management Framework.
“One of the questions we have asked of the mayor is how the Shard came to be allowed,” said planning director Peter Rees. “We want to ensure this isn’t a precedent.”

Rees explained that the viewing corridors which under previous mayor Ken Livingstone had been narrowed were now “like a concertina” being widened by the current mayor.

The City’s interest in the proposals is two-fold, not only judging them as planning authority, but also as the owner of Hampstead Heath, one of the key viewing points.

The corporation’s response to the LVMF is mainly supportive of the latest changes, which notably include the widening of a protected silhouette around the white tower of the Tower of London; maintenance of the existing protected vistas of St Paul’s; and a new protected silhouette from Parliament Square to the Palace of Westminster.

Where the corporation is less happy, is with the Shard and there is a call for updated photographs and guidance. The response notes: “At present, it is hard to appreciate fully the dramatic impact that the Shard development is having on many London views” including the view from Hampstead Heath south, where the Shard has a significant impact.

“The reference to the Shard providing a strong orientation point in the Parliament Hill view should not be used to justify other tall buildings in the background that would diminish the ability to recognise St Paul’s.”

http://greaterlondonpublishing.co.uk...ease%E2%80%99/
Loyalist. no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #795
Loyalist.
Let's modernise Britain

Likes (Received): 78

It seems like the City of London want a monopoly on tall buildings in London....no way Jose!
Loyalist. no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #796
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 5783

He's only protecting his interests in keeping businesses in the City and preventing growth in Southwark.
DarJoLe no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #797
potto

Likes (Received): 8429

He has made the same comment before. Love the hypocrisy and faux concern over Hampstead Heath but yes he is basically desperately using the architecture card to try and prevent other boroughs from moving themselves forward.

We have seen this all before however, the more successful sabotage attempts by Westminster Council who do the same while over-supplying their own home turf with office block dross sometimes ignoring their own conservation guidelines... ho hum

I guess the City and Westminster have always thought everywhere else should be subservient feeder places, which is in part why they can maintain such high office and house prices. This would be a dangerous precedent as it would stagnate London into a over-zealous prime hot spot with a fixed bureaucratic boundary with acres of nimby residential outside. Instead London should be celebrating its multi-nodal make up and allowing each to respond more fully like in Southwark.

Last edited by potto; November 7th, 2011 at 02:59 PM.
potto no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #798
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 1221

The City of London Corporation is a complete anachronism and pretty undemocratic given that it is the only local authority to keep a business vote, who essentially monopolise decision. It really should have disappeared long ago (and indeed twice in the previous 100+ years it has foiled attempts to radically reform it).
kerouac1848 no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #799
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyalist. View Post
Rees explained that the viewing corridors which under previous mayor Ken Livingstone had been narrowed were now “like a concertina” being widened by the current mayor.
Well that's certainly not how it's usually portrayed on SSC...
Old November 7th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #800
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 11745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Dibble View Post
The new Kingsgate House is almost as ugly as the old one. That's a serious achievement. Is it really residential?
yeah. the building on the left of it in that render will be the office space. see the residential one has balconies between the outer facade and the inner windows?
gothicform no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
development summary, london

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: